Adrian Peterson declares, “I’ve lost nothing”

AP

Plenty of his new teammates think highly of his abilities. Saints running back Adrian Peterson still thinks highly of his abilities, too.

I’ve lost nothing,” Peterson told Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com.

Many disagree, pointing to his age and a 2016 season derailed by injury and, when healthy, ineffectiveness. That kind of chatter continues to motivate Peterson.

“Outside sources that doubt because of age?” he said. “I led the league when I was 30, and it was the same thing then. ‘He’s going downhill.’ I played with a mediocre offensive line and still led the league at 30. I just look at things different. If I started buying into what everyone was saying, I probably would’ve retired three or four years ago.”

Some thought he’d necessarily retire this year, due to a lack of interest. The Vikings opted not to keep him for 2017 at a salary of $18 million, and he eventually took a fraction of that amount along with a fraction of his prior role to join the Saints.

“[I]t was different,” Peterson told Breer. “But I knew coming off the meniscus tear [in Week Two that caused him to miss all but one further game], it could happen. If I came out and led the league in rushing, I’d have been off the market. That wasn’t the situation I was in. So in my mind — this is the situation, this is the position you’re in, it’s not what you envisioned going into the off-season, but this is where you’re at, so how are you gonna handle it?”

He handled it in a way that surprised many, taking less money for a lesser role with a team regarded as less than a contender. While the money won’t change (but for the reaching of incentives), the role could grow and the team, with Peterson on board, could thrive.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Adrian Peterson declares, “I’ve lost nothing””
  1. tylawspick6 says: Jun 16, 2017 9:19 PM

bill belichick disagrees

2. higgy1 says: Jun 16, 2017 9:26 PM

Isn’t that what they all say.

3. filthymcnasty3 says: Jun 16, 2017 9:29 PM

Yeah, well everybody says that when they leave MN.

4. kissbillsrings says: Jun 16, 2017 9:31 PM

Actually, he lost MILLIONS when let go…

5. droppedinagreasefire says: Jun 16, 2017 9:31 PM

It’s over when you have to self-advertise your abilities.

6. cincinnatikid13 says: Jun 16, 2017 9:32 PM

The amount of ifs, coulds, and should’ves, in this post are astounding.

7. jrossizzle says: Jun 16, 2017 9:33 PM

Correct. Still focused on the “I” not the “We”.
    I’m sure your touch for fumbles and injuries aren’t lost either.

8. midnightcusk says: Jun 16, 2017 9:33 PM

…except the respect of most decent people.

9. stellarperformance says: Jun 16, 2017 9:39 PM

“I’ve lost nothing,” Peterson told Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

Yes you have Mr. Peterson. You’ve unbridled yourself from a narrow-minded fanbase that enjoys nothing more than getting drunk and picking needless fights.

Nothing.

10. h0metownzero says: Jun 16, 2017 9:44 PM

The Vikings let Peterson go because Zimmer couldn’t see him having another 1000 yard season.

Later, they realized Zimmer couldn’t see anything. Literally.

11. exinsidetrader says: Jun 16, 2017 9:45 PM

“I’ve lost nothing…. but I found that I have another half dozen kids all over the country that I have to whip into shape.”

12. fmc651 says: Jun 16, 2017 9:51 PM

I agree with AD he can catch the ball. I don’t think the Minnesota OC used him for that is all.

13. lingsun54 says: Jun 16, 2017 9:53 PM

250 total yards left for his career.

14. raiderej says: Jun 16, 2017 9:57 PM

What did you EXPECT him to say?

15. xavier179 says: Jun 16, 2017 10:00 PM

First half of the season should be a good barometer to see how effective you are.

16. ninefingers9 says: Jun 16, 2017 10:04 PM

One thing he HAS lost is any credibility. Oh not to mention all that coin to child support payments.

17. mnvikes1961 says: Jun 16, 2017 10:26 PM

Well- with a statement like this- we know AD lost his mind for sure- I’ll give him that.

18. ariani1985 says: Jun 16, 2017 10:42 PM

u lost a key select fumbles, you loser!

19. beerbratscheese says: Jun 16, 2017 10:52 PM

Sounds like he lost his sense of reality.

20. whatjusthapped says: Jun 16, 2017 11:06 PM

He didn’t have to mention that he played behind a mediocre line, everything about the Vikings is mediocre. Except for the Vikings putrid playoff record including 4 Superbowl losses, that is less than mediocre.

21. pryrates2020 says: Jun 16, 2017 11:27 PM

You’ve never had the ability to be a 3rd down back, nor pick up a blitz, and since you still can’t. Then I guess I have to agree.

22. realfootballfan says: Jun 17, 2017 1:43 AM

Next in Viking fan whining, slamming Peterson for calling the bad offensive line that they’ve been calling bad for years mediocre. It’s what they do. We’re waiting. give it to us.

23. hodag54501 says: Jun 17, 2017 4:17 AM

How many games until he’s hurt…lets start the pool… I say 4….

24. favrelous says: Jun 17, 2017 5:38 AM

Except fumbles and blocks.

25. aj66shanghai says: Jun 17, 2017 6:43 AM

He’s going to absolutely thrive with the Saints. Their offense will open up the field in a way he never experienced with the Vikings. If I still played fantasy football, I’d draft him in the top 10. All he has to do is stay healthy and he’ll cruise to 1200 yds and 10 tds plus a heap of receiving stats

26. xlivsaints says: Jun 17, 2017 6:59 AM

“96 Pete” has lost his identity if nothing else.

27. johny248 says: Jun 17, 2017 7:18 AM

I’m not an AP fan boy, but the guy has had a hell of a career. I’d lmao if he blows up down in Nola this year. Just to prove a point. Good like with Drew! Could be fun to watch this season..

28. paleandpasty says: Jun 17, 2017 8:11 AM

He lost nothing except millions of dollars and visitation rights.

29. LionsPride69 says: Jun 17, 2017 8:56 AM

He lost nothing but fumbles and whipping switches

30. pkrlvr says: Jun 17, 2017 9:02 AM

“I played with a mediocre offensive line and still led the league at 30”
    ———–
    At least he didn’t throw his MN teammates under the bus. This guy is such a “me” oriented schmuck.

31. uncommon1 says: Jun 17, 2017 9:20 AM

He had 35 carries behind an O-Line that lost 7 starters/backups to injury. He might be done, but I’ll wait for a larger sample size before declaring a future HOF career is over.

32. mrcneff says: Jun 17, 2017 10:09 AM

He’ll probably produce similar stats to Tim Hightower’s last season, and then get cut, because the Saints will realize they don’t have to pay large dollars for that type of production.

33. donbat67 says: Jun 17, 2017 10:17 AM

As long as you have 2 friends who have 2 friends the pyramid works .

34. Avi Mehta says: Jun 17, 2017 10:31 AM

Wouldn’t be surprised if he got a drug test

35. nhpats says: Jun 17, 2017 10:48 AM

Given that he is now playing on a team with an actual passing game, I would expect him to have more room to run as he will not necessarily be the singular focus of the defense. If he can stay on the field, he will have a big year.

36. ldbeachtecorion61 says: Jun 17, 2017 10:49 AM

Just wait until Drew throws a few passes to him and hits his Boxing Gloves for hands.. Oh yeah lets not forget the fumbles he loses, one cost the Vikings a trip to the Super Bowl, another cost the Wildcard game a few years ago.
    Oh yes, and wait until he installs that full length mirror in the locker room so he can stand there and look at himself!

37. bdaul2000gmail says: Jun 17, 2017 11:53 AM

He’s an injury waiting to happen

38. sb44champs says: Jun 17, 2017 12:33 PM

12 men in the huddle I guess AD was responsible for that too

39. sb44champs says: Jun 17, 2017 12:35 PM

…and Brett Favres untimely INT… AD’s fault

40. captainwhodat says: Jun 17, 2017 12:43 PM

Adrian Peterson declares, “I’ve lost nothing”…
    when you’re the backup to Mark Ingram, you have…

41. sb44champs says: Jun 17, 2017 12:46 PM

Now all of a sudden since AD is no longer on their team Vikes fans believe he was the source of all their problems the last 10 years. Hilarious! News Flash: AD was the only thing separating y’all from a Division I school

42. dcviking says: Jun 17, 2017 12:50 PM

“I’ve lost nothing,” Peterson told Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

Nothing.

————————————–

Adrian Peterson didn’t leave the Packers….

43. itswhereyourmindsat says: Jun 17, 2017 1:24 PM

“I’ve lost nothing” – except your knee and the football. And the man he’s trying to block

44. h0metownzero says: Jun 17, 2017 2:07 PM

Peterson has escaped the toxic environment of perpetual losering in MN, and just might thrive in more normal environment.

45. aypeeswhippingstick says: Jun 17, 2017 2:18 PM

You can’t lose what you never had.

46. cheeseisfattening says: Jun 17, 2017 6:17 PM

“I’ve lost nothing,”

————

Eddie Lacy said the same thing last year.

47. cheeseisfattening says: Jun 17, 2017 6:21 PM

stellarperformance says:
    Jun 16, 2017 9:39 PM
    “I’ve lost nothing,” Peterson told Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

Nothing.
    ————-
    Mr. “I only post reactively” strikes first again with not a single Packer slight before this comment. What a full of himself liar. What is funny is that he keeps repeating the lie as if nobody see this.

48. purpleguy says: Jun 17, 2017 8:17 PM

Hey, self confidence isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but lack of self awareness is. Much like the singlemindedness of the cheesers above who: (1) regularly post trash on Viking articles as they have above yet say Viking fans pick fights; and (2) continue to call the Vikes lousy/mediocre when the Vikes have split with theirs in wins and NFCN titles the past two years. Sure the Pack is better, but that certainly doesn’t make their fans more logical.

49. pkrh8tr says: Jun 17, 2017 8:19 PM

Stella is the most hypocritical poster here. The sad thing is he doesn’t know what hypocritical is. #trygoogle

50. ldbeachtecorion61 says: Jun 17, 2017 9:34 PM

Dear Adrian:
    When the time comes for you to retire, and you are lucky enough to get in the HOF, please represent the Raiders or anybody but Minnesota. This fan base put up with you missing basically 3 years of playing time. We stood by you when the rest of the League wanted your suspension to end your career. What did you do for us? Last year when we really needed you, your choice of surgery was one that caused you to miss nearly all the season instead of coming back for 3/4ths of it.
    You are selfish so I think we deserve to look for what is best FOR US, and not have you and your baggage forever soiling in a Minnesota uniform!
    PS: I sure hope you have a plan in place for your child support payments. You cant even be faithful to your Children by abandoning each of them while you were out having fun.
    Good-by and good riddance.
    FROM,