Randy Moss gets emotional as he remembers Dennis Green

Getty Images

The Vikings announced this week that Randy Moss will join the team’s Ring of Honor this year, and when Moss appeared at the team’s facility for the announcement, he credited the man who brought him to Minnesota in 1998.

Asked what he would say today to Dennis Green, the Vikings coach who drafted Moss and who died last year, Moss got emotional and needed a minute to wipe tears away before he could answer.

“I was six years old playing this game,” Moss said. “On draft day, I really don’t know why I was treated the way I was treated on draft day, but Coach Green gave me an opportunity. And I told him, ‘Coach, you’re not going to regret this.’ So you ask me what I would say to him? I’d probably just fall in his arms and give him a hug. There’s no words that I can tell him.”

Moss, a Top 5 talent who fell to 21st overall in the 1998 draft, played for Green from 1998 to 2001.

40 responses to “Randy Moss gets emotional as he remembers Dennis Green

1. The ultimate front yard football WR. ‘Go deep!’ Randy was so incredible that GB spent their entire next year’s draft on DB’s. Never seen a bigger complement/fear than that.

2. The reason you were treated the way you were treated on draft day is because you were an angry out of control punk until you grew up and became one of the best of all-time. Dennis Green didn’t do you any favors, you just got to a point in the draft where your immense talent was worth the gamble and fortunately for the Vikings it paid off.

3. he shouldn’t have fallen as far as he did, but he knows exactly why he fell. He had a rap sheet with a history of weed use and was let go by ND and FSU so he fell. It’s not rocket science and another example of victim mentality. He fell because of his criminal record. There is no mystery and no injustice. He wasn’t a victim. The fall was a result of his choices in his youth. How can he say “I really don’t know why”? Give me a break.

4. I will always consider Moss as the greatest of all time when it comes to WR’s, or at least, a very close second. Maybe more of a “should have been” greatest of all time, because he lacked the work ethic and high character that Jerry Rice had, which I think ultimately caused him to miss out on the obscene stats that Rice has. There were just countless games and seasons though where Moss looked uncoverable, and he made it look so so easy, too.

5. Randy Moss might not have had the longest or most impressive career of any receiver in history, but he was the greatest, most dominant player at his position to ever play the game.

6. Denny was the best Passing Game minded coach other than Bill Walsh. Denny truly had a great personality in dealing with players and placing trust in his guys.

7. I’ve never seen anything so disrespectful in my life than when Randy caught a deep ball between two prototypical bum Packer DBs and literally stepped over the one laying down on the way to the end zone.

8. Take nothing away from Green’s insight, but they don’t all work out. The following year Green took a similar chance on a guy named Demetrius Underwood.

9. There’s no question about his ability but he laid down on his teammates so in talent alone he could have been the G.O.A.T. but as a total player…no.

10. nwhmpshr says:
    Jun 16, 2017 9:15 AM
    As a Pats fan the only Patriots jersey I own is moss 81

With all of the hard working, overachieving, not a giant pia players that played in NE that’s the only jersey you own? Troy Brown, Faulk, Bruschi, Edelman, Slater are all head and shoulders above Moss when it comes to maximizing your talent. These guys had hearts 5 times bigger that 81. Moss if anything underachieved based on his capabilities.

I’ll start a go fund me page to get you a new jersey. There’s about a dozen guys that played for NE over the last 20 years more deserving of your attention.

11. kane337 says:
    Jun 16, 2017 9:03 AM

I think he played for the Vikings until 2004. Not 2001.

———————————

“Played for Green”

Reading is fundamental.

Dennis Green
    Minnesota Vikings (1992–2001)
    Head coach

Yes, Moss played for MN until 2004, but, that wasn’t the point being made.

12. credible316 says:
    Jun 16, 2017 9:24 AM
    G.O.A.T

Yes, better than Jerry “stickem” Rice.

6 2

———–

Yep. Moss never cheated like Rice did.

The SF 49ers also cheated the cap later on like Elway and Denver, and their OL used Crisco on their jerseys for more cheating.

13. It’s kind of like traveling in pro basketball. It’s never, ever called. Moss was champion of the push-off artists, and I for one take great delight he never won a SuperBowl trophy.

14. Rice got to play 6 games every season against the horrible Falcons, Saints and Tampa Bay Bucs defense. By the time those teams got NFL caliper defenses, Rice had already achieved 75% of his stats.
    Moss was a beast…too bad his on field behavior created a cloud. Chris Carter underneath, Randy Moss over the top and Randall Cunningham & Dante Culpepper throwing to them. Wow….

15. tylawspick6 says:
    Jun 16, 2017 8:40 AM
    A top 5 WR ever.

Millennials have no idea who he is.
    ___________________________________

If you wanted to resort to the tired idea of generation bashing, you really should have done some math. Millennials are most commonly defined as being born between 1981 and 1995. That means Moss was having his best years as they were growing up watching the game.

Some may not know Jerry Rice, but they know Moss.

16. Rice got to play 6 games every season against the horrible Falcons, Saints and Tampa Bay Bucs defense.

To be fair, Moss played 2 games a year against the Packer defense which is equivalent to 6 against the Falcons, Saints and Bucs.

17. Some of you don’t realize that it took Rice to break Don Hutson’s records as a receiver which were set a LONG time before Jerry got to the NFL – that’s how good HE was.

I get it – whatever you saw the most recent tends to stick in your mind as the best but in an era of real football – Don Hutson set records that ONLY Rice was able to break once he was in the league a while.

18. stellarperformance says:
    Jun 16, 2017 10:17 AM

_______

Kind of like you’re the champion of excuse-making?

Anyway, I think you may be thinking of Cris Carter. Moss would just run right by you or jump over you. Pushing off wasn’t a big part of his game.

19. It’s worth remembering at that time that the Vikings already had Jake Reed and Cris Carter at WR, both in their prime. To some analysts, this made the selection of Moss seem that much more questionable, given his character issues.

Nice to see Moss give Green credit here. For a guy who got kicked out of Notre Dame and Florida State, and had to settle for Marshall, Green took a chance on Moss, and it paid off.

The only sad part about Moss is how much greater he could have been with a work ethic like Jerry Rice’s.

20. tylawspick6 says:
    Jun 16, 2017 8:40 AM
    A top 5 WR ever.

Millennials have no idea who he is.

———-

I was born in 1981, so depending on the chart you look at I fall either into the very front end of the millennial category, or the tail end of gen X.

Randy moss hit the league my last 2 years of high school, so that meant that I, and the true millennials a few years younger than me got to watch randy in his prime during our high school and college years, and then watch him with the patriots 16-0 regular season team in our 20’s.

not to mention we all grew up playing Madden and he was unstoppable.

21. I love Randy Moss even as a guy whose team he never played for. He just did thing you never saw people do. He played the game at a different speed. I remember watching him play where he had DBs each with maybe a step and a half on him and he caught the ball and just split them like they were standing still for a long TD. I hadn’t seen anything like that again until Odell Beckham did it last season. Moss was still more impressive because of his height ando acceleration. A guy that big shouldn’t be able to start up that fast. Amazing.

22. 400marios says:
    Jun 16, 2017 9:20 AM

========================================
    Yeah, Underwood was definitely Green’s low-point in terms of drafting. During his entire tenure as head coach of the Vikings, Green never drafted a defensive player who last in Minnesota beyond his rookie contract.

The one distinction I would make here is that Moss’s talent was not disputable, while Underwood was a major question-mark from the get-go.

That draft of 1999 was a nightmare for the Vikings. Green could have stood pat and waited until round three to pick up Underwood because no other team had him rated higher than a fourth round talent. On top of that, he gave up three picks to trade up into round two to pick up Jim Kleinsasser. In retrospect, picking Kleinsasser in Underwood’s spot would have saved the Vikings two draft picks, and Underwood’s abrupt departure would have stun a lot less.

23. If Moss had the work ethic of Jerry Rice, he would be the greatest of all time…if not, he’d be in the conversation….either way, I’ve always liked Moss.

24. Watch highlights of Jerry Rice on Youtube and when that is done watch Randy Moss. When you are done try to say Jerry was better than Randy. If you are honest you can’t. Jerry Rice is still promoting himself shamelessly. Fifi.