Dean Blandino: Celebration changes are about reaching millennials

AP

Why did the NFL decide this year to ease up on celebration penalties? The league’s former head of officiating says it’s about reaching a younger audience.

Dean Blandino, who left the league office to join FOX this month, told Colin Cowherd that the league wants to make sure it’s not too stuffy for millennials

“I think that part of it is trying to reach the millennial and this new age of fans and having more fun,” Blandino said. “And there was a committee, I was part of that committee with different people at the league office in looking at our game, looking at in-game downtime, looking at how our fans watch the game, looking at eye-tracking technology and where their eyes are going.”

Blandino said the league has been talking for some time about needing to change its image among younger fans, and the movement to revise the celebration penalties began before this offseason.

“It definitely has been something that’s ramped up,” Blandino said. “I would say it started even earlier than six to 12 months. This has probably been two to three years in the making.”

The early indications are that the NFL’s strategy worked. The feedback from fans to the relaxed celebration rule has been positive.

Permalink 103 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
103 Responses to “Dean Blandino: Celebration changes are about reaching millennials”
  1. nyneal says: Jun 18, 2017 6:19 AM

It’s another example of how things have changed in this country and the world. The NFL feels it can’t “reach the millennials” with the game itself. They feel they have to give them this dancing with the stars type atmosphere to attract them to the game.
    It saddens me, but it’s the way it is. The last time I went to a Major League Baseball game, I thought I was at a hip-hop and hard rock concert. They blasted that stuff so loud between innings I had a headache by the time the game was over. It took a lot of the enjoyment away from the game, for me.
    Football is a wonderful sport played by gifted athletes. The things they can do are amazing. It’s what attracted me to the game as a kid in the early 60’s and when I played it in school, I realized even more just how special the players were.
    I don’t like these celebrations the players do today after they score a TD or make a first down (especially when their team is losing). They are contrived and they just look so silly, to me. I wish the focus would always be on the team, not the individual player. But the NFL has decided that it needed to give in to these egocentric players to please the electronic generation, so that’s the way it is. It’s another in the long line of reasons I don’t enjoy the NFL nearly as much as I used to.

2. derekgorgonstar says: Jun 18, 2017 6:28 AM

Another reason to hate them…

3. gatorguru says: Jun 18, 2017 6:30 AM

Ain’t gonna work…. they don’t care…NFL was once must-see tv for me…. now I can take it or leave it…Godell has ruined the game…..

4. yourunclerico says: Jun 18, 2017 6:34 AM

surprised they didn’t decide to start handing out trophies to them just for buying tickets to the game. then again, millennials feel entitled to free tickets so … i guess we should just give those away too
    worst generation yet.

5. whenwilliteverend says: Jun 18, 2017 6:34 AM

Maybe it’s because I’m old school but I’m not a big fan of the celebrations. It was fun when Billy “White Shoes” Johnson did it but then people started getting out of control. I want to watch football, not a bunch of fools dancing around acting like idiots after they make a play. Do they need attention so badly they have to act like buffoons. The sad part is the kids watch this so they do it. How does an adult tell children they need to behave when they watch these knuckleheads act like idiots? I remember a story Cris Collinsworth said after he scored a TD in his rookie year with the Bengals. He did some sort of celebration in the end zone and I forget if it was Paul Brown or Forest Gregg that told him “Son, act like you’ve been there before.” It’s OK to be excited. Michael Jordan got excited. It’s another thing to act like a buffoon.

6. joetoronto says: Jun 18, 2017 6:35 AM

“Dean Blandino: Celebration changes are about reaching millennials and turning off everybody else.”

7. bencoates57 says: Jun 18, 2017 6:38 AM

In thst case I would no longer require the Patriots to wear black ties with their tuxedos for all 3rd and longs.

8. cebert44 says: Jun 18, 2017 6:41 AM

Yeah team is down by twenty and somebody scores.

Next thing a player is trying to wave his JUNK around.

Nothing turns me off more than celebrations when

team is losing.

9. bigoldred says: Jun 18, 2017 6:43 AM

Yea, millennials are different, they hate Gooddell for being a phony, lying weasel.

10. motleytrap says: Jun 18, 2017 7:02 AM

I’m a “millennial” who fell in love with football when I was 10 years old.

TD celebrations didn’t have anything to do with it.

11. pointerdogs says: Jun 18, 2017 7:13 AM

As long as they don’t care what constitutes a catch. Roger that.

12. wiskybuck says: Jun 18, 2017 7:33 AM

They’re doing all they can to cut back the time of game, it’s reduced the most important aspect, plays! But now they have time to orchestrate a celebration that most hardcore NFL fans don’t want to see. They may try to please millennials, but they’re chasing away the people who enjoy football.

13. bighairbingopro says: Jun 18, 2017 7:44 AM

Best celebration of all time was Randy Moss using the goal post as a strippers pole. Impossible not to watch. Let them have fun, within reason.

14. ronfromnm says: Jun 18, 2017 7:47 AM

Is the NFL certain that millennials are going to be NFL fans? That doesn’t seem like a sure bet to me.

15. ipdaily69 says: Jun 18, 2017 7:51 AM

My kid no longer tunes into individual games, he watches Red Zone….and I get it…..just action with no down time and no commercials. I stopped going to live games because of the excessive TV timeouts ticket holders had to endure while the NFL’s corporate partners sold beer, cars and soda to the TV viewers every few minutes. I felt like a sucker paying $100 for a ticket, $40 for parking, $11 for a beer, $7 for a hot dog….just for the opportunity to sit on my hands while the NFL grabs for more money.

16. One for the other thumb says: Jun 18, 2017 7:52 AM

As a millennial I think this is stupid. Make a rule change because you think it’s the right thing to do, not to pander to an audience you obviously don’t understand.

17. absolutevisuals says: Jun 18, 2017 7:58 AM

Still not going to work. It’ll make for fun twitter highlights but the millennial generation is too busy trying to survive. Prices are high, the jobs pay low, and most of them are in debt from school. That’s why many industries are dying and with more and more cutting cable, NFL won’t be able to keep the ratings or people in the stands, though it was smart of them to make streaming deals like with Twitter.

18. denverdave3 says: Jun 18, 2017 8:04 AM

I used to watch nearly all the televised games, but once the NFL made changes to attract women, such as adding a woman reporter to every sideline, a camera on the coach yo observe his emotions, or worst of all when a female reporter asks a coach how he “feels about the second half,” I tuned out nearly all games except those that affected my team. This will only make me less interested in other teams.

19. pauldeba says: Jun 18, 2017 8:11 AM

31 teams will take advantage of this and have a lot of fun in the end zone with well choreographed dance celebrations to make the fans laugh. The other team will win their second straight super bowl.

20. spiffy1001 says: Jun 18, 2017 8:16 AM

21. therealtrenches says: Jun 18, 2017 8:21 AM

I’ve been teaching at the college level since 1996.

These days, any student who talks with me about football does so through the lens of fantasy.

They don’t care about the actual game or end-zone celebrations.

22. oldhuskerfan says: Jun 18, 2017 8:24 AM

If your product is not good enough to attract viewers, catering to the miniscule percentage of potential viewers is not the answer. Especially viewers with little or no buying power. The NFL has left me and I have pretty much left the NFL.

23. 6thsense10 says: Jun 18, 2017 8:25 AM

Lots of get off my lawn folks in the comment section. The restrictions on celebrations was beyond silly. Basketball and soccer players are allowed to express themselves but the NFL thought it had to stifle celebrations and try and follow Mobs no celebration model.

If a player wants to dance or high step to the end zone like Deion Sanders I honestly don’t care. Some players are flamboyant like Deion Sanders and others are the hand the ball to the ref type like Barry Sanders. So what? If a celebration is disrespectful or causes a delay of game like TO running to mid field in Dallas after scoring a TD as an Eagle flag him.

24. ricknorris2014 says: Jun 18, 2017 8:34 AM

cebert44 says:
    Jun 18, 2017 6:41 AM
    Yeah team is down by twenty and somebody scores.

Next thing a player is trying to wave his JUNK around.

Nothing turns me off more than celebrations when

team is losing.

Cam Newton anyone? Ding ding ding.

25. miklib says: Jun 18, 2017 8:37 AM

When is this Goodell nightmare ever going to end?

26. Joe Schmoe says: Jun 18, 2017 8:44 AM

If the NFL wants to reach millennials, then they need to get rid of “losing teams.” Every team wins, every team goes to the playoffs, and every team wins the Superbowl. Furthermore, there will no longer be “sacks.” Quarterbacks now have “safe spaces” they can stay in where there is no pressure and no one can challenge them.

27. lightcleric says: Jun 18, 2017 8:46 AM

All I ever see on this site are people complaining to let players “have fun”, “it’s just a game”, “No Fun League” etc, but now that there’s a chance to gripe about a younger generation, all that goes out the window even though you got what you wanted.

Weird how that works, huh?

28. ninefingers9 says: Jun 18, 2017 8:50 AM

Maybe the league should start giving out the annual Trent Dilfer participation trophy? You know, nobody should have to feel bad because their not as good as others in the league.
    #OnlyOneLombardiIsn’tFair

29. kcchefs58 says: Jun 18, 2017 8:51 AM

Celebrations used to be unregulated and once they started regulating them, non-millennials threw a fit. People of all ages did the same last year when the rules became even more strict. This is not an age issue at all.

30. qbarrel says: Jun 18, 2017 8:54 AM

Barry Sanders did it best. Sorry for showing my age.

31. commentcentral says: Jun 18, 2017 9:01 AM

If it’s the celebration and not the game that’s drawing people in . . . then you’re finished.

32. The Almighty Cabbage says: Jun 18, 2017 9:04 AM

As one of the last of the Baby Boomers, I hold only hope for the Millennials. Many are upset because the Millennials don’t work like we work or think like we think. I say it’s good that they don’t; because WE destroyed this country.

The Greatest Generation left us with the strongest and most prosperous country this Earth has ever seen and in 70 short years WE brought it to its knees with OUR own greed and piggishness. WE let our friends’ and neighbors’ small businesses perish in order to save our precious 17 cents at Walmart. WE voted in “two tier wages” in our [few remaining] manufacturing plants. WE kept buying from companies that moved their jobs overseas. WE didn’t boycott companies that shafted their workers. WE let them kill the unions.

The Greatest Generation did none of those things and never would have done them; but WE did them all. And now, WE want to blame the Millennials? Riiiight.

Before any of you start regurgitating propaganda from your favorite radical right or loopy left websites, BOTH parties have contributed to the downfall and they’ve done so in nearly equal measure… and WE let them. HELPED them, even.

33. commentcentral says: Jun 18, 2017 9:08 AM

Paul Brown had the best quote to someone on his team showboating after a touchdown, ““Son, act like you’ve been there before”.

34. wrongowright says: Jun 18, 2017 9:34 AM

Blandino has no clue. I would rather watch a celebration than having a flag thrown because of the celebration. I don’t care about celebrations one way or another. They don’t really delay the game so let the NFL fine someone if it is deemed a violation.

35. bamboozle99 says: Jun 18, 2017 9:35 AM

You don’t have to exploit every opportunity to show the world you are getting old and grumpy.

36. gregbeau says: Jun 18, 2017 9:41 AM

Geez, next thing you know they will have bongs installed on the sideline benches.

37. jssebastian2014 says: Jun 18, 2017 9:51 AM

Next up in the NFL’s quest to pander to Millennials: Transgender cheerleaders.

Let that sink in, boys.

38. whodeybengalsfan says: Jun 18, 2017 9:52 AM

*Reads the boards*

*Complains endlessly*

*Will still be watching all of the games*

GET OFF MY LAWN!

39. raiderinva says: Jun 18, 2017 9:54 AM

I find it highly ironic that the NFL Network routinely airs the Top 10 End zone celebrations and over half of them are illegal in today’s game.

This doesn’t mean that I appreciate Antonio Brown and his hip thing, but the NFL is missing the Fun Bunch.

40. fanfrommontreal says: Jun 18, 2017 9:55 AM

Celebrations for a touchdown do not bother me as much as celebration for stopping a running-back after a four yards gain at mid-field in the first quarter when the score is 3-3…

41. weepingjebus says: Jun 18, 2017 9:58 AM

Millenials are generally worthless. They quit at the slightest and most mundane challenges, and think any type of annoyance is a human rights violation. We need to bring back the Draft.

42. mutohasaposse says: Jun 18, 2017 10:06 AM

Very odd take on all of this. Celebrations were taken away because of the supposed millennial mindset. “Celebrations aren’t nice to the other team, it makes them feel sad.” That wasn’t created for the millenials it was done for Goodell’s mindset. They celebrated as long as I can remember and I’m in my 40’s. For years the NFL as been referred to by many as the No Fun League. The rules changes didn’t turn off millennials it turned off the majority of people. People talk about how classy Sanders was, I agree wholeheartedly but he stands out because in the 80’s and 90’s everyone else was celebrating too.

Loosening up celebrations is better for the game, nothing to do with millennials.

43. intrafinesse says: Jun 18, 2017 10:07 AM

Thank goodness!

I don’t watch the game for amazing plays (remember Aaron Rodgers against Arizona 2 years ago with those back to back hail marys to get a TD). Or Marshawn Lynch shedding the entire Saints defense on his way to the goal line years ago.

Instead I watch for celebrations. I just love watching mediocre players making a wonderful celebration on getting a first down while losing big time in the 4th quarter.

I need the NFL to “connect” to me.

Oh wait … maybe I actually care about the game and want to see great games. I’m OK with a quick TD celebration, and thats not the kind the Panthers with Superman like to do.

44. streetyson says: Jun 18, 2017 10:08 AM

In other words, rather than showing viewers how to act in an appropriate, professional manner when playing sports, the NFL will act more like tweenies to attract a younger audience.

What next – how about changing overtime to a dance off? With viewers voting? But more seriously, NFL is making efforts to shorten the game, so how does dancing shorten the games? Or is the game being shortened to specifically create more dance time?

45. intrafinesse says: Jun 18, 2017 10:10 AM

I couldn’t stand Blandino, I’m glad he’s gone. Hopefully he doesn’t last with Fox or whereever he went.

46. mongo3401 says: Jun 18, 2017 10:11 AM

Well said mighty cabbage.

47. possumsauce says: Jun 18, 2017 10:14 AM

I would like to see a clause added for us non-Millenials, to the effect of “Any player who engages in a choreographed celebration upon reaching a first down while his team is losing by three or more scores shall play the remainder of the game wearing Pampers and with a pacifier in his mouth.”

48. tonebones says: Jun 18, 2017 10:18 AM

The NFL just set a new all-time record for revenue. Despite the rhetoric about how Colin Kaepernick was hurting attendance and how they needed to relax celebration rules, obviously lots of people enjoy the game of football. I enjoy some spontaneous celebrations sometimes by great players who are being original. I don’t mind Antonio Brown doing something funny once in a while if he makes a huge play. I actually loved watching Deion do his thing because he was on his own planet (talent wise). I thought Zeke Elliott was awesome when he jumped in that barrel. But when guys practice and rehearse silly dance moves, that’s a turn off. Those are usually the same guys that make mental blunders that cost their teammates games.

49. charger383 says: Jun 18, 2017 10:25 AM

The Late Great NFL

50. sopadegato says: Jun 18, 2017 10:42 AM

That’s not going to happen unless they develop some sort of wireless taser technology to zap people if they reach for their cell phone while a game is airing.

51. ayokel21 says: Jun 18, 2017 10:52 AM

Hockey does it right. Group hug and pats on the head, then skate by the bench and touch gloves with every player as the line skates by.

52. gauchosporlife says: Jun 18, 2017 10:59 AM

It’s really spelled “Me-llenials.”

53. socalraider says: Jun 18, 2017 11:07 AM

Millennials can’t cope they need coloring books and crayons to keep them from crying to their mommy

54. charger383 says: Jun 18, 2017 11:14 AM

players should play, celebrations are for fans

55. PFT loves the Steelers says: Jun 18, 2017 11:20 AM

Meh. I’ve always been ok with Chad Johnson type celebrations (riverdance, proposing to cheerleader, putting, etc). It’s the Antonio Brown type celebrations that need to go (humping the goal post, simulating sex acts, etc). Sad that the NFL has to try to spice things up to pull in millennial viewers. The game should be enough to distract them from their smart phones for a couple hours. That said, the game has had so many rule changes over the last 5-10 years that it’s barely recognizable now…thanks to Goodell.

56. Moudabo says: Jun 18, 2017 11:23 AM

Hey, guess what … Aaron Rodgers celebrated after
    throwing those long Hail Mary Passes —

— as he rightly should.

There is a happy medium — with the loosening
    of the rules, they are closer to getting it right.

No one wants to see long, orchestrated celebrations,
    twerking, or guys pretending to machine gun people down, but
    it’s ridiculous to ask players to hand the ball over like Barry Sanders.
    Sanders was one of the best RBs ever, but played on crappy teams
    who were often being ouplayed and outscored, it would have been
    deemed very gauche even if he had celebrated.

For every Barry Sanders, there is a ‘Neon’ Dieion Sanders.
    How many of you old codgers got outraged and wrote letters
    to the commish when Billy ‘White Shoes ‘ Johnson began with
    those rather tame celebrations?
    I know I was watching and enjoying it, and he played for a rival team.

Some of you old curmudgeons whine and complain as much as
    these millenials do.

57. saltineamerican says: Jun 18, 2017 11:27 AM

It’s about reaching the Millenials while alienating the fans who can actually afford to buy the tickets.

58. daneraider1 says: Jun 18, 2017 11:39 AM

I’m for it. the game is threatened by obvious health concerns and not reaching the young generations. The league has to adapt to stay alive just like the rest of us. some of you sound like your grandfathers. The ability to express yourself and individualize will help recruit talent to the game.

59. tylawspick6 says: Jun 18, 2017 11:40 AM

lol!!

more embarrassment for the millennials

priceless

60. daneraider1 says: Jun 18, 2017 11:41 AM

and lay off the millennial bashing is you want the sport to survive. why would they want to come here and listen to this crap?

61. bigdaddystyle says: Jun 18, 2017 11:42 AM

The millenials on the field will be the only ones keeping track of celebration performance. The fans in the stands are too busy high fiving each other when their team scores.

62. tylawspick6 says: Jun 18, 2017 11:46 AM

bigoldred says:
    Jun 18, 2017 6:43 AM

20 66

—–

most millennials don’t think like you and have
    spent countless hours on the interwebs whining
    about highly successful players on the pats, practically
    begging for framejobs to be enacted to make
    themselves feel better.

note how blandino all but tells us that millennials
    and that demographic are on their minds for
    money purposes

the pats were cheated twice with concocted
    framejobs and sold to the public as veiled
    lies through espn

these are facts, with deflategate proven
    in court as such

63. harrisonhits2 says: Jun 18, 2017 11:57 AM

Once you start pandering to the fragile ego, over politically correct, entitled don’t want to work hard millennials its definitely the beginning of the end.

64. denverscott says: Jun 18, 2017 12:20 PM

You’re going to have to figure out how to link their selfie cam and green screen them into the endzone.

65. tootitan says: Jun 18, 2017 12:33 PM

Goodell, Blandino, the owners et al need to be locked in a room with their eyelids glued open, and forced to watch a 48 hour loop of “IDIOCRACY.”

This is getting ridiculous!

66. dudeicle says: Jun 18, 2017 12:35 PM

Millenials…. The ones that can’t afford a ticket (who can, really?)…. those that won’t buy cable… those that find a pirate streaming service to watch for free… this is the market the NFL wants to grow??

67. bencoates57 says: Jun 18, 2017 12:50 PM

I hate to break it to you guys, but we created the Millennial. They came of age during the digital disruption created when the Software Revolution diminished the value of traditional degrees, exacerbated the rocky relationship between education and industry, amplified the student loan crisis, and turned us all into interchangeable machine operators. I didn’t even mention how they grew up thinking cyber-stalking, privacy incursion, and Google defamation were normal. Then there was 9/11, two trillion dollar terror wars, the Great Tecession in which the American financial industry destroyed the world economy, two dovisive Presidential elections, and an unprecedented five year budget impasse on Capitol Hill introducing into the popular lexicon such wonderful lingo as continuing resolution, debt ceiling, fiscal cliff, government shutdown (threat), government shutdown (actual), and sequestration. And then there’s something called the gig economy. So, with that in mind, are these kids screwed up? Or are they the wisdom in an insane world corrupted by their parents?

68. tootitan says: Jun 18, 2017 12:52 PM

As far as touchdown celebration goes, it really only comes down to one simple question: Isn’t it the players’ and the teams’ job to score points?

If that answer is “yes,” the celebrations should go away. Or if celebrations remain, the players (when they fail to score points) should receive punishment on a par with the celebrations.

These guys get paid multi-millions of dollars (many of them get paid MORE THAN ONE MILLION DOLLARS PER TOUCHDOWN) to catch passes or run the football. That’s a miserable “accomplishment-to-attempt” ratio

69. jackedupboonie says: Jun 18, 2017 12:52 PM

Next up……all the standing around time for tv timeouts. #1 thing I hear from in stadium fans, they can’t believe all the stoppages and standing around time when not in front of tv to avoid commercials.

70. smokingmirrors says: Jun 18, 2017 1:11 PM

Football IS entertainment and regardless of the downside of what is inevitably going to happen through the season because of this, people are going to be entertained. Whether they might get annoyed or laugh out loud, they are going to be entertained.

Lighten up folks; there are going to be some fully unintended and unexpected moments of irony to be had. I can see some of the imagined consequences lining up already for their moment in the sun or snow).

71. The Almighty Cabbage says: Jun 18, 2017 1:26 PM

I’m all good with a spontaneous emotional outburst. I’m not at all good with choreographed nonsense using props and multiple players.

72. trubroncfan07 says: Jun 18, 2017 1:30 PM

The ratings are down because they took all the physicality out of the game. The NFL is soft now and boring.

73. curmudgeon13 says: Jun 18, 2017 1:40 PM

Dear NFL Sunday Ticket,

Can we have “The Celebration Zone”?

Please!!!

Pretty please!!!!!

74. fanfrommontreal says: Jun 18, 2017 1:44 PM

Billy White Shoes Johnson, the Bears Super Bowl Shuffle, the Ickey Shuffle, Neon Deon Sanders and much more have nothing to do with millennials.
    And by the way, who raised them anyway?

75. redlikethepig says: Jun 18, 2017 2:05 PM

“The generation that ruined the housing market and the climate is really mad that millenials like touchdown celebrations.”

You’re confusing normal people with banks and corporations.

76. tylawspick6 says: Jun 18, 2017 2:31 PM

trubroncfan07 says:
    Jun 18, 2017 1:30 PM

0 2

——

ratings are down for many reasons, two of which
    involve greedy lazy owners:

1. cheating the pats with goodell
    2. lazy cap management, forced to pay mediocre
    qbs 18 mil per

77. brawlkc says: Jun 18, 2017 2:35 PM

I eat this stuff up.

Old guys: “screw you nfl you ruined it and I’m done and never coming back”

All this while taking up their own personal time, to comment on an article, about a game they say they’re done with.

I think we know who the Real snowflakes are, here.

Looking at you, baby boomers.

78. jjfootball says: Jun 18, 2017 3:37 PM

IT’S THE RULE CHANGES THAT ARE KILLING THE GAME, IT’S BECOMING FLAG FOOTBALL!!!!

79. jaysayz says: Jun 18, 2017 3:52 PM

I wish they would reset the rules to what they were in the early 90s and tell every player if they want to play in the NFL it will probably have long term health effects and if you don’t like it don’t play. I think that would bring back the fans. Along with Roger G getting fired. And just my Opinion Most (NOT ALL) of millennials are soft and don’t like football and it can all be traced back to poor parenting. Men are no longer tough. They dress in skinny jeans and Male rompers. They never got spanked they got timeouts, they have safe spaces because their delicate minds cant handle the truth or an intelligent conversation about a disagreement. Again not all millennials are like this but a majority are. They also feel like they deserve things they haven’t earned in life which is sad.

80. bobinkc says: Jun 18, 2017 4:37 PM

To me this ranks right up there with the NFL thinking they’re going to attract enough of a fan base in England to start another league division. News flash: to the English the NFL is a NOVELTY nothing more. End zone celebrations are what they are: nothing much. Besides that for me the season is basically over when the Chiefs have played their last game. My wife and I watch the Stupid Bowl for the ads but even that was kinda sad this year. I DO get a lot of reading done between plays though.

81. thetooloftools says: Jun 18, 2017 4:45 PM

This will make scoring a touchdown into “Can You Top This”. I can’t wait till a player does something outrageously profane while the officials (grandpa) has no idea what just happened.

82. bencoates57 says: Jun 18, 2017 4:48 PM

I hope teams hire ex-variety show guys from the 70s ti chireograoh some of the more elaborate celebrations.

83. richndc says: Jun 18, 2017 5:02 PM

You know what some of you sound like being grumpy old men? Millennials! Man up! I am nearly 50, been watching the game since I was 5. Tons of things have changed, do I wish it was more like the real man’s game in the 70s? Of course, for many reasons. Does you all know how boring and pathetic it is to bitch about this stuff in the bigger picture? Maybe that is all this forum is good for, to allow this whining, but it’s sad man. It’s sad. The game is still exciting to watch. One of the great things about the game of pro football is how it keep evolving. Otherwise, it would be the same, you know, boring–like some of you.

84. laudermk says: Jun 18, 2017 5:11 PM

The NFL is the first made for TV sport..it’s a dumb, brutal sport and frankly outside of qbs the game is largely devoid of any true skill..maybe kicking the ball is a skill, I dunno..but blocking, tackling, and catching a ball isn’t skill..

85. nyneal says: Jun 18, 2017 5:23 PM

brawlkc says:
    Jun 18, 2017 2:35 PM
    I eat this stuff up.

Old guys: “screw you nfl you ruined it and I’m done and never coming back”

I think we know who the Real snowflakes are, here.

Looking at you, baby boomers.

________________________________________

Here’s a better quote for you:

“Youth is wasted on the young”.

Translation — young people think they know it all and that older people don’t know anything. It’s the ignorance of not having the experience to know better.

And here’s another quote I’ll give you:

“The older I get, the smarter my parents get”.

That one is so true — and if you’re fortunate enough to become one of those “old guys”, you’ll find out how true it is.

Meanwhile, go clean your room, wash up, and get outside or you’ll miss the school bus.

86. TheWizard says: Jun 18, 2017 6:48 PM

With all the entertainment options available these days, I can’t believe many young people are going to sit and watch 3 hour games.

87. usdcoyotesfan says: Jun 18, 2017 6:53 PM

yourunclerico says:
    Jun 18, 2017 6:34 AM
    worst generation yet.
    ———————————————-
    Says the generation that handed out the participation trophies. SMH!!!!

88. qbarrel says: Jun 18, 2017 6:57 PM

I guess the object is to put something on the field that is more interesting than checking one’s fantasy football scores. I think this misses the mark though.

89. tylawspick6 says: Jun 18, 2017 6:58 PM

the yuppie boomers of the 80s and 90s had kids known
    as millennials and the country has been destroyed along
    with the nfl

90. tonebones says: Jun 18, 2017 8:01 PM

I haven’t done a scientific study, but it sure seems like the guys that celebrated a lot are the same guys that end up broke after a couple years out of the league. I’m sure there is a connection. It’s called dumb.

91. YouCryin?PatsMustBeDoingTheirJob says: Jun 18, 2017 8:04 PM

Glow sticks and molly will work.

92. dreemeagle says: Jun 18, 2017 8:09 PM

why stop here?

why not give the cheerleaders the ball and let them drive 80 yards three or four times over three hours, and let the current players choreograph celebrations on the sidelines that Millenials can call in and vote on?

they can call it ‘NFL’s Got Talent’ and give out the championship trophies per each of 30 positions (including not dressed for game, taxi squad, PUP, kicking and special teams) after 16 rounds–they can call it the Bieber or Beyoncé, in the shape of a pair of crystal dancing shoes made by Tiffany’s;

any ties or interpretations of rules can be left to the referees, who will also serve as the panel evaluating each performance for advancement to the next show;

the cheerleaders?

ah, who cares for them?

they can be seen at their best on NFL Red Zone!

give them all participation trophies at the end of the season;

Millenials will be dancing for joy!

93. betterlatethan says: Jun 18, 2017 9:26 PM

Every week, we read comments posted on this site (and others) that ‘the NFL is dying’ or has ‘jumped the shark’ and will see a loss of revenue and interest from the fans.

Here, the NFL flat out says “We’re studying what the interests of the fans are and what new fans want” to draw more of them to the game.

…and it’s still complained about. You can’t have both unfortunately.

Many of the first comments on this article reflect that all too well unfortunately “this was better in the 60’s” and “this no longer appeals to me!” …it’s not supposed to.

You’re no longer the target demographic and aren’t needed as a fanbase. It’s a harsh thing to hear, but it’s true.

It was just as much about the money in the 1920’s as it is now in the ‘teens, there’s just a lot more of it and a much larger audience and a much larger exposure to the game.

If Curly Lambeau and George Halas thought techno music and laser light shows with robots doing the limbo at half-time with T-shirt cannons for arms would have filled seats and kept the league alive, they’d have invented them and pushed them to fans at the time it was first expanding, don’t doubt it.

94. bannedfromchoirpractice says: Jun 18, 2017 10:05 PM

Millennials sh-millennials. All that should matter to any self-respecting Football Sunday junkie are your own celebrations at the ticket window when you’re cashing your winning tickets. The rest of you, millennials or otherwise, are pitiful.

You seriously stay up nights worrying about an end zone celebration. My God!

95. laserw says: Jun 18, 2017 10:28 PM

The Millenials don’t like anything that is real.

They now prefer digital sex to the real thing.

Does the NFL really think Millenials give a flying monkey about celebrations?

Millenials only want to watch 10 seconds of the game because they are so worthless on attention span that they can’t watch anything longer.

The only solution to Millenials is a war that kills the weak and lazy and saves the ones who share the real world’s values.

96. tylawspick6 says: Jun 18, 2017 10:31 PM

laserw says:
    Jun 18, 2017 10:28 PM
    The Millenials don’t like anything that is real.

They now prefer digital sex to the real thing.

Does the NFL really think Millenials give a flying monkey about celebrations?

1 0

——–

pretty much

they also see nothing wrong with cgi in movies, have
    awful taste in music and don’t read books

sad, really

97. autumnwind999 says: Jun 18, 2017 11:12 PM

I’m a grown man and there’s nothing better than watching athletes dance and cook up elaborate pantomime celebrations … said no one ever.

98. jimmysee says: Jun 19, 2017 5:48 AM

Vince Lombardi said it right —- “Act like you’ve been there before!”

99. revelation123 says: Jun 20, 2017 3:27 PM

Even veteran fans will enjoy this.

100. lordliftedme says: Jun 22, 2017 3:55 PM

Some of you are such, downers!!! Football, Basketball, Baseball, sports in general, is nothing but entertainment. This stuff is not life-death, rocket-science. So what if somebody wants to show some emotion after making a play. Sheesh!!!

If you won the lottery or something you would consider a great or achieving happened to you, are you just going to sit there stone-faced and act like “aww who cares.” move on…

People are such judgmental, miserable, hypocrites…

101. silvernblacksabbath says: Jun 23, 2017 10:37 AM

NFL going the ESPN route… downhill.

102. silvernblacksabbath says: Jun 23, 2017 10:40 AM

How long do they get to celebrate for??? 3 seconds is quite enough.

103. lordliftedme says: Jun 23, 2017 11:47 AM

I love the celebrations. I celebrate right along with them when my team scores. What? Don’t you?