Mike Shanahan tried to steer Kyle from coaching profession

Getty Images

Mike Shanahan tried to steer his son from coaching, something Kyle Shanahan said he will follow his father in doing with his own son.

I lived and died football, and my grades suffered a little bit for that,” Kyle Shanahan said, via Clark Judge of the Talk of Fame Network. “It was definitely the most important thing in my life. And my parents always raised me, telling me, ‘Hey, don’t be a coach; don’t be a coach.’ And it’s the same thing I’m going to tell my son.”

When Washington named Mike Shanahan as head coach in 2010, he hired his son as offensive coordinator. Kyle Shanahan stayed four years followed by stops in Cleveland and Atlanta before the 49ers hired him as their head coach.

“Coaching isn’t as all-glamorous like people think it is,” Shanahan said. “You’ve got to move a lot. You’ve got to go through a lot of bad times. Everyone’s going to get fired. You’re going to have to move your family. You’re going to have to tell your first-grader she’s moving, and she’s not going to understand why.

“So there are a lot of ups and downs with it. My parents always told me not to get into it. But once they realized I wanted to, I think my Dad was pretty flattered that I wanted to follow after him.”

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Washington Redskins
8 Responses to “Mike Shanahan tried to steer Kyle from coaching profession”
  1. QB Film Room says: Jun 19, 2017 9:40 PM

I feel the same way. Football is a sickness, a good one at that

2. niners816 says: Jun 19, 2017 9:40 PM

I actually got to meet Mike Shanahan about 2 months ago. He owns farm ground right outside of where I live in Illinois. He was in our little cafe paying for his food. I had walked in to pick up an order when I saw him just standing there. I tried not to look. I was star struck. A multiple super bowl winner was 2 feet from me. He saw me and said “hi, I’m Mike Shanahan. What’s your name?” and shook my hand. I was so nervous, but he was the nicest guy ever. We talked about farming, Kyle and coaching. I will never forget that. He’s a very genuine person who loves his son. I hope he can help Kyle out and get us on the right track.

3. thrifty says: Jun 19, 2017 10:07 PM

Mike should have taught Kyle how to call plays while having a huge lead.

4. TheCakeIsALie says: Jun 19, 2017 10:51 PM

Maybe I’m soft, but I like reading stories like this where I can actually relate to the person in a non-football sense.

5. absolutevisuals says: Jun 20, 2017 8:55 AM

He tried so hard he used his connections to get him into the league.

6. TheDPR says: Jun 20, 2017 10:03 AM

If you’re a son of an NFL coach you’re almost guaranteed a six-figure job for life. You can be barely-competent and keep getting work that pays better than the vast majority of Americans earn. This is a negative situation, why? If my son could be an NFL coach I would be saying DO IT!!!

When the inconvenience of moving is the worst thing going on in your life, you have a pretty good life.

7. joetoronto says: Jun 20, 2017 12:05 PM

Never turn your back on The Rat.

8. themattstapiece says: Jun 20, 2017 2:43 PM

One effective way he could have steered his son away from coaching would have been to not hire him repeatedly as part of his own coaching staff.

Just an idea.