Pat McAfee explains his disdain for Ryan Grigson

Getty Images

Monday’s PFT Live included a two-hour visit with former Colts punter and current Barstool Sports personality Pat McAfee. McAfee didn’t take long to continue to fire shots at the former G.M. of the team for which McAfee played.

As to the question of the day — Which NFL trade would you do right now? — McAfee suggested this one: Sending Ryan Grigson from the Browns to the CFL.

So when did McAfee first have an issue with Grigson?

“The first conversation we had together,” McAfee said. “He told me I was the lowest thing in the organization, and he does not want to keep me. Mr. Irsay is forcing him to do it. That’s our first conversation we had. Whenever he cut our entire team [in 2012] and only kept a couple people, the first conversation he told me I was the lowest thing in the organization and the only reason why I’m there because for some reason, Mr. Irsay won’t cut [me]. Literally. It’s not a love-hate relationship. It’s been a hate relationship since day one. Whenever he got fired, I was real excited. It was a great day in my life.

“The only way the Cleveland Browns could get worse, they brought him in. I’m trying to save the Cleveland Browns because the people of Cleveland deserve it. They’re beautiful, they’re amazing people. I think they should just send him to Canada. I think it would be great news for everybody, and for America, and that’s what I’m really here for. America.”

After the 2012 season, the Colts applied the franchise tag to McAfee. A year later, he signed a five-year, $14 million contract. Both decisions apparently were made by Irsay, not Grigson.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Pat McAfee explains his disdain for Ryan Grigson”
  1. tylawspick6 says: Jun 19, 2017 2:30 PM

lol!

he also helped execute deflategate, helping
    goodell frame brady.

how this guy failed so badly and is still hireable,
    i have no idea

i am still laughing at indy thinking they had a chance
    at hiring caserio away from the pats.

priceless

2. XaqFields says: Jun 19, 2017 2:33 PM

I’ve been listening to Pat on the Bob and Tom show ever since the season ended. He’s on there probably once a week or so. As good of a punter as he was, he’s an even funnier guy. Definitely had a future in comedy.

3. vikings2102 says: Jun 19, 2017 2:44 PM

“Meanwhile, we’re trying to book Grigson for Tuesday’s show, since McAfee will be back. (We’re actually not. But maybe we should.)”

Boom & Gloom Podcast with special guest McAfee!!

4. nathanp2013 says: Jun 19, 2017 2:45 PM

It’s unbelievable that guy got another job in sports… Foot Locker included.

5. bobl242 says: Jun 19, 2017 2:47 PM

tylawspick6 says:
    Jun 19, 2017 2:30 PM

lol!

he also helped execute deflategate, helping
    goodell frame brady.

how this guy failed so badly and is still hireable,
    i have no idea

i am still laughing at indy thinking they had a chance
    at hiring caserio away from the pats.

priceless
    ———————————————————-
    Why do the Pats fans always have to bring up the Patriots in the comments when the article isn’t even about the Pats?

6. dbfan4ever says: Jun 19, 2017 2:47 PM

Why the animus for MacAfee?! Okay I know he was a punter but as far as punters go he was probably the best in the league.

7. 12444uggg says: Jun 19, 2017 3:00 PM

I think 99% of Colts fans felt like we’d had won something when the news that he was fired, broke.
    The guy sucked.

8. pigchampion says: Jun 19, 2017 3:05 PM

was Grigson the best candidate for another job? hardly. … but privilege.

9. bobthebillsfan says: Jun 19, 2017 3:10 PM

This situation reminds me of a circular reference in Excel.

You have an owner who was dumb enough to hire Grigson but smart enough to over rule some of the stupid things Grigson wanted to do.

On another note, to Browns fans, my sympathies.

10. touchdownelvis says: Jun 19, 2017 4:21 PM

“Sorry, but no thanks eh?” – Canada

11. aldavisisthenfl says: Jun 19, 2017 5:12 PM

he even looks the part…lol

12. luvthatdirtywater1 says: Jun 19, 2017 7:09 PM

I was hoping that loser would be with the colts another few years. Cleveland fans can’t get a break, it’s the Modell curse! Although, once grigson get’s done, they will have long forgotten about old Art

13. whenwilliteverend says: Jun 19, 2017 8:23 PM

Seriously, hiring this guy made me immediately think the people in the Browns’ front office are absolutely clueless. This guy is the epitome of a tool. He tried to blame all his personnel failures on Andrew Luck’s contract. He’s a complete buffoon. I wonder how long the Browns will keep this loser once they figure out how clueless he is. Of course, that presupposes the Browns front office is smart enough to come to the realization he’s clueless.

14. richabbs says: Jun 19, 2017 8:36 PM

Well, if the Browns analytics guys are really that smart, maybe they hired Grigson so that they can do the opposite of what he recommends. That’s the only way he has any value to a team.

15. amaf21 says: Jun 19, 2017 8:37 PM

He gave up a 1st rounder for Trent Richardson. End of story.