Report: Justin Gilbert suspended for one year

Getty Images

Little has gone right during cornerback Justin Gilbert’s career since the Browns made him a first-round pick in the 2014 draft and that won’t be changing in 2017.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Gilbert has been suspended for a year by the NFL. There’s no word on which policy Gilbert violated to draw that suspension, but the answer probably won’t do much to change anything but a line on Gilbert’s Wikipedia page.

Gilbert became a free agent after being released by the Steelers in February and didn’t have any teams lining up for his services over the last four months due to his on-field struggles in both Cleveland and Pittsburgh. That will almost certainly remain the case while he serves out the suspension and it’s hard to imagine anyone rushing to sign him if he’s cleared to return to the league at this time next year.

If that’s the case, Gilbert’s NFL career will amount to 35 games over three seasons and a place among the many missteps the Browns have made since returning to the league in 1999.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Report: Justin Gilbert suspended for one year”
  1. blitzinc43 says: Jun 20, 2017 4:45 PM

As a close friend of the organization it is unfortunate and rare that a Steeler reclamation project failed

2. jjb0811 says: Jun 20, 2017 4:58 PM

Who are the 1st round busts of this year’s draftee’s?

3. kane337 says: Jun 20, 2017 4:59 PM

There were so many good players in the 2014 draft. How did the Browns whiff so badly on their first 2 picks in the first round?

4. weepingjebus says: Jun 20, 2017 5:12 PM

This is actually one of the stronger arguments for adding some sort of lottery or randomization to the top of the draft. It is simply not possible that every player drafted by certain perennial high pick teams is bad. Eventually it becomes clear that they are wasting league talent.

5. whenwilliteverend says: Jun 20, 2017 5:19 PM

I wonder how much money from his rookie contract he has left. For his sake, he better have a lot since his football career is probably over.

6. diminishingskills says: Jun 20, 2017 5:25 PM

Ray Farmer, we hardly knew ya.

7. hound32 says: Jun 20, 2017 5:41 PM

I still want to throat punch Ray Farmer for drafting Gilbert and no talent no class little weasel Manziel .

8. z0inks says: Jun 20, 2017 6:17 PM

Tested positive for performance-detracting substances.

So he failed a drug test? Heck, he failed the eyeball test for three years.

9. dryzzt23 says: Jun 20, 2017 6:17 PM

I know, I know, Goodell is 100% to blame, Gilbert is absolutely innocent right?

What an absolutely waste, yet another example of how NOT to draft.

10. FinFan68 says: Jun 20, 2017 6:24 PM

Which games/team will he be suspended from? If he isn’t signed then he technically is not in the league and if he isn’t in the league how can his suspension start? I am probably in the minority on this one but I don’t think his suspension should start until after he is signed. If nobody signs him this year his suspension should be postponed until he is. The way it is right now is not much different than suspending a guy who submitted retirement paperwork.

11. manderson4150 says: Jun 20, 2017 6:32 PM

I can’t imagine what went on when he was in college…..hard to believe that their drug screening program works…..nothing in college, then boom.

12. onereasonableman says: Jun 20, 2017 7:06 PM

We are so bad, we’ve started tanking drafts in preparation for the next year’s draft.

13. magnumpimustache says: Jun 20, 2017 8:21 PM

So he was out of a job since February. Unemployed.

And now still being unemployed the NFL says you are out of a job for another year.

I hope his crime was committed before February

14. doctorrustbelt says: Jun 20, 2017 8:45 PM

No surprise.

richard rydze.

15. trickbunny says: Jun 23, 2017 4:49 PM

You’re welcome,
    Cleveland Browns

16. concretejimmy52 says: Jun 24, 2017 9:53 PM

As a Ravens fan, I chuckled when I saw Ray Farmer fumbling around instead of just picking at #4. Jags taking Bortles at #3 really screwed his head up. Why didn’t they just trade up? Don’t feel bad, the Bills traded up five spots for Sammy Watkins. And then the Browns traded up one spot for Gilbert. And the Vikings drafted pro-bowl Anthony Barr. And then the Browns traded up for Manziel who I said was a bust. And AJ McCarron was one of my top QBs and the Bengals got him at #164 in the 6th round after a bunch of QBs and the Chiefs took QB Aaron Murray the pick before. Maybe I should be the Browns GM. My draft picks go to the Pro-bowl and end up as 1st All-pro and potential HOF.

17. concretejimmy52 says: Jun 24, 2017 10:00 PM

With all the hype about Khalil Mack picked by the Raiders at #5. I wanted the Ravens to draft Aaron Donald but I knew he wouldn’t be there. I called him a top five pick and was surprised when he fell to #13. And the Browns moved up one spot to take Gilbert at #8? And now Donald was probably the best player in the draft according to PFF ranking at #1 ahead of JJ Watt and Tom Brady. Zack Martin was my top OL and wanted the Ravens to draft him at #17 but the Cowboys took him. Clinton-Dix and Brandin Cooks were on my draft board. Saints traded up to #20 for Cooks and the Packers took Dix at #21. YOU HIRING?

18. dirt2013 says: Jun 28, 2017 9:20 PM

jimmy,go to Cleveland where you to can ****.