Devonta Freeman: Super Bowl will always play in back of my head

Getty Images

At the end of offseason workouts, Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan said that he and his teammates have put their Super Bowl loss to the Patriots behind them and shifted their focus to what’s in front of them rather than on the lead that evaporated in Houston.

Running back Devonta Freeman agrees with Ryan that the team can’t “dwell on the things that went wrong” and that they need to “seize the moment” moving forward, but he isn’t claiming to be completely over going from 25 points up to losing the game in overtime.

“It’s hard to move on from something like that,” Freeman said on Sirius XM NFL Radio with Bruce Murray and Brady Quinn. “I don’t think I’ll ever move on from something like that. To be honest, I think it’ll always play in the back of my head, just because I know, I feel like we’re going to get a Super Bowl this year. And I feel like this could have been two [Super Bowl wins in a row]. I could have been close to Tom Brady, you know what I mean? It’ll always play in the back of my head and the back of my mind.”

It’s been a long time since the Bills completed their run of four straight Super Bowl losses and they were the last Super Bowl loser to return to the game the next year, so history is working against Freeman’s feeling that the team will be in Minnesota next February. Keeping their heads in the present and not the past will be vital to the Falcons’ chances of changing that, although Freeman’s answer is probably a bit more honest than one that says the mental blows from their loss have been wiped away.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Devonta Freeman: Super Bowl will always play in back of my head”
  1. pastabelly says: Jun 21, 2017 7:24 AM

What does he mean that he could have been close to Tom Brady? He should be upset though. Having an opponent put up 34 unanswered points goes to both defensive and offensive failings. It’s collective and a choke. As a Patriots fan, I know the Patriots came through in the clutch, but I also know that the Falcons opened the door for that.

2. bencoates57 says: Jun 21, 2017 7:45 AM

They were lucky to have stolen the right to represent the NFC from the Giants and Cowboys who everyone, most notably representatives of the Giants and Cowboys organizations, predicted would win the Super Bowl.

3. bencoates57 says: Jun 21, 2017 7:46 AM

Are they not content with being the best Falcons team in franchise history?

4. dlw492 says: Jun 21, 2017 7:49 AM

Hopefully working on your pass protection was the point of emphasis this off-season

5. belugataxi says: Jun 21, 2017 7:50 AM

“I could have been close to Tom Brady, you know what I mean?”
    No dude, I have NO IDEA what you mean.

“I don’t think I’ll ever move on from something like that”.
    Imagine, just for a second, if Tom Brady, had entertained thoughts like this after the letdown of the Superbowl loss to the Giants and the perfect season going down the tubes.

Mr. Freeman, the closest you’ll ever be to Tom Brady happened last Feb. It’s past time to move on.

6. billjones383 says: Jun 21, 2017 7:59 AM

Lol, that’s funny the Falcons wont sniff the SB without game tickets this year.

7. elyasm says: Jun 21, 2017 8:09 AM

That’s not surprising considering his missed block on Hightower created the turnover that was probably the single biggest reason they lost that Super Bowl. Not that he should let that bother him or anything.

8. yankeemofo says: Jun 21, 2017 8:18 AM

This team showed how mentally soft they are. They will not get over the loss, not will they be back in the Bowl®

9. nfloracle says: Jun 21, 2017 8:23 AM

The Falcons won’t be flying to the big game this year, but you can beat a dime to a donut that the Patriots will be. End of story.

10. LyinRogerMustGo says: Jun 21, 2017 8:49 AM

To each their own. 🙂 The Super Bowl will always play in the front of my head on my TV when I pop in that Championship DVD 🙂

Never gets old!

11. flakeybiscuits says: Jun 21, 2017 9:07 AM

The fact that the Bills made 4 straight is almost that much more impressive considering the devastating losses they had to endure at the end of each season.

And not to mention every year, having to play 19-20 games while the majority of the league only plays 16. Like the hoodie says, going to the super bowl just means you’re already behind on next year compared to the other 30 teams that don’t make it.

I’m not sure what would be harder to get over though, blowing a 25 point lead, or simply missing a game winning FG.

12. thelastwordyaheard says: Jun 21, 2017 9:11 AM

A big part of the Pats’ success is being mentally tough enough to put difficult losses behind them and refocus. Atlanta may be a more talented team top to bottom, but if they suffer from the same broken psyche as the Seahawks, they won’t be back.

13. weepingjebus says: Jun 21, 2017 9:17 AM

The more interesting part of that interview is where he says he should have been SB MVP instead of Matt Ryan. Have fun at camp you two!

14. tylawspick6 says: Jun 21, 2017 9:18 AM

This guy thinks he is above the team. He was looking for a new deal BEFORE the Super Bowl and now after, and this was AFTER he blew the block in the SB?

This is why franchises fail. You’re looking at it right here. Sends a very bad message of entitlement and it just trickles down to the rest of the team.

No way on earth BB caves in to an RBs demands, regardless of how good, after such an unforgiveable mental error like that.

This is how teams lose their edge and tumble into cap hell with ego, primadonna behaviors and cap hell.

15. terripet says: Jun 21, 2017 9:23 AM

Bad coaching cost you and your teammates a ring

16. LyinRogerMustGo says: Jun 21, 2017 9:39 AM

So the World Champions broke the Steelers ( “little brother” comment), the Seahags if you believe reports over the last couple of months and maybe now the Falcons!

Wow! 🙂

17. mogogo1 says: Jun 21, 2017 10:02 AM

I still remember watching the Falcons repeatedly snapping the ball in the second half with like 20 seconds on the play clock wondering “What are you doing?” They played the second half like it was some sort of experiment to see if it was possible to let a team back into the game from that far down. Their experiment succeeded.

18. boisestatewhodat says: Jun 21, 2017 10:16 AM

I bet so!

28-3!

As a Saints fan…this past Super Bowl was the closest thing to winning the Super Bowl without actually even having my team in the game!

Thing of beauty!

WHO DAT!!

XLIV!!

19. boisestatewhodat says: Jun 21, 2017 10:16 AM

28-3

20. tedmurph says: Jun 21, 2017 10:30 AM

So far, the Pats have wrecked the Seahawks, Falcons, Steelers, Colts, Ravens, Texans, Bills, Dolphins and Jets. Wonder who’s next?

21. patsfan1820 says: Jun 21, 2017 10:35 AM

No Freeman you would not have been close to Tom Brady and the Falcons won’t make it back to the Super Bowl. If anyone takes down the Patriots they will be from the AFC not the NFC.

22. RE LEE says: Jun 21, 2017 10:39 AM

I also can’t forget the early dancing and celebration on the Falcons side. I can’t forget Brady running and falling down empty handed after the interception. It could have been a total Patriots humiliation. We are fortunate to have Brady who doesn’t have a flinch in him.

23. skimbell says: Jun 21, 2017 10:40 AM

THE SUPER BOWL CURSE will have a say in this.
    If “the curse” holds true, after the hammering the Falcons took in February, they wont make the playoffs.

24. irsaysneedle says: Jun 21, 2017 10:42 AM

Patriots have destroyed the psyche of many teams before the falcons…it’s really nothing new…

25. harrisonhits2 says: Jun 21, 2017 10:47 AM

“Wonder who’s next?”

You forgot the Rams, who never did squat after the SB loss in 2001.

26. streetyson says: Jun 21, 2017 10:47 AM

Here’s the harsh fact for Falcons – to beat Brady a couple of sacks won’t do it, you have to keep him off the field and control the clock, and to do that fully you need a good running game to kill the 2nd half. But you couldn’t even do that when you had a huge 25-point cushion. Your O-line and top RB got you 75yds in 11 carries (and half of that was in the very first play of Q1 when Pats D were cold) and your team’s ground game got you 104yds overall – not enough, especially when that RB also missed that critical block to allow the key turning point of the game. Close to Brady? LOL – Devonta, you are nowhere near good enough to equate to one of Brady’s SBs.

27. hess97 says: Jun 21, 2017 11:11 AM

Next time you have a Super Bowl lead go ahead and block the blitzing linebacker lined up right in front of your nose.

28. roverboy1949 says: Jun 21, 2017 2:04 PM

————————————————————
    Uh, no I don’t know what you mean. The only way you will ever be close to GOAT TB is if you’re standing next to him taking a leak. TB is so far ahead of the rest it’s almost embarrassing. If you had been a little closer to Hightower, you may have gotten a ring, but even that is questionable.

29. nard100 says: Jun 21, 2017 3:15 PM

It’s refreshing to hear honesty from a player instead of the “We have already moved on”. No way you forget a loss like that, but it can motivate you going forward. Unfortunately, getting back to the sb is alot harder than it looks, just ask the 15-1 Panthers from 2015. In looking at some plays on Inside the NFL, the infamous “sack” play had a WIDE open receiver streaking down the field that probably would have ended it for NE, but substitute rb didn’t make the block to allow Ryan time to throw.

So far only my NYG have been able to do it.

30. kamthechancellor says: Jun 21, 2017 6:25 PM

Should’ve ran it.

31. hess97 says: Jun 22, 2017 11:25 AM

Matt Ryan was a split second away from unloading to a wide open Aldrick Robinson on the flag route, which would have made it 34-3. The difference was Freeman blocked nobody on the play when Hightower was lined up right in front of him. He blew right by, strip sack and the trophy changed hands from that play on.