Shaq Lawson plans on getting back to player he was in college

Getty Images

Shaq Lawson’s rookie year started with a shoulder injury that kept him from working out with the Bills during training camp, the preseason and the first six games of the regular season, which meant he had a lot of catching up to do as he transitioned from college defensive end to linebacker in Rex Ryan’s 3-4 scheme.

Lawson won’t have to worry about that “very difficult” transition this year. Ryan is out, Sean McDermott is in and Lawson is back to playing defensive end in a scheme he calls “the same thing I ran at Clemson.” As a result, Lawson is expecting to be back to the kind of play that made him a first-round pick in the first place.

“I’m going to live up to that,” Lawson said, via the Buffalo News. “That’s what they want me to do. I’m going to give them a reason why they drafted me here as a first-round pick. It’s time to bring what I had back when I was in college.”

The defense was a disappointment in Ryan’s two years as the head coach in Buffalo, which is a big reason why he’s no longer the head coach. Lawson isn’t the only defender who has talked about a higher comfort level in McDermott’s defense, something that the Bills hope will lead to the kind of results they expected when Ryan got to town.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Shaq Lawson plans on getting back to player he was in college”
  1. comments321 says: Jun 21, 2017 8:13 AM

A little less conversation, a little more action.

Go Bills!

2. redeemerac says: Jun 21, 2017 8:31 AM

Not really a Bills fan, but having watched this him in college, I won’t be surprised if he has a breakout season. Good kid and fantastic player.

3. lgw91s says: Jun 21, 2017 8:34 AM

I don’t think this will be his breakout season. I can see him realizing his potential in a couple of years – after the Patriots pick him up.

4. stillabengalsfan says: Jun 21, 2017 8:44 AM

Shaq, maybe you were more productive at Clemson because 80% of college games are an absolute joke.

5. bassplucker says: Jun 21, 2017 9:03 AM

Clemson has a long history of producing NFL busts on the D-Line. Hoping this guy can go against the trend but I wouldn’t put my own money down on it.

6. DawgPound83 says: Jun 21, 2017 9:13 AM

I’d like to get back to the player I was in college too.

The threat of divorce and losing my wife & kids would probably wreck my current high comfort level though.

*sad trombone*

7. charliecharger says: Jun 21, 2017 9:18 AM

Shaq, you have to be much better than you were at Clemson because the offensive linemen you’ll be facing are going to be a lot better. I think Lawson will be alright, but I’m not crazy about players who blame their performance on scheme.

8. groleo45 says: Jun 21, 2017 9:22 AM

The whole Rex Ryan experiment made me feel so bad for Bills fans. Legit top 5 4-3 defense under Gym Shorts, then blow the whole thing up so the Ryan bros. could have ‘their system’ and be the smartest guys in the room.

Hopefully the Bills are competitive soon, their fans deserve it.

9. tylawspick6 says: Jun 21, 2017 9:37 AM

What a bust. Ragland will be next. Dareus, Lawson, Ragland…

Buffalo simply does not get it.

10. corkspop says: Jun 21, 2017 9:49 AM

He was a beast in college and there’s no reason why he can’t be again. He’s perfect for the scheme and, yes, the scheme does make a difference.

11. ontherocks1964 says: Jun 21, 2017 9:52 AM

I have tempered excited enthusiasm looking forward to see how Lawson and Ragland look this year. Complete unknowns.

12. r8rsfan says: Jun 21, 2017 1:52 PM