At 83, Sonny Jurgensen will slow down but not stop

Sonny Jurgensen was a Hall of Fame quarterback whose NFL career spanned 18 seasons, and now his career calling football on the radio in Washington has doubled that length. But at age 83, Jurgensen is not ready to call it quits.

Jurgensen told the Washington Post he’ll still be calling games in Washington this season, after initially thinking he was going to retire from broadcasting.

“I had thought about hanging it up because I’d been doing it 35 years,” Jurgensen said. “I came to Florida, and I thought about it. I said, ‘I’ve got to have something to do. I was somewhat bored. So I went back to ‘em and said, ‘You know, I’m a little bored.’”

So Jurgensen, who turns 83 in August, agreed with the team that he’ll work the eight home games in Washington but not travel to any road games. Team President Bruce Allen told Jurgensen the team would let him work whatever schedule he liked.

“It’s very nice of them,” Jurgensen said. “I’m looking forward to it, I really am.”

Jurgensen was drafted by the Eagles in 1957 and was a first-team All-Pro for them in 1961. He was traded to Washington in 1964 and played there until 1974. He is in both teams’ halls of fame as well as the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
17 Responses to “At 83, Sonny Jurgensen will slow down but not stop”
  1. eddiea25 says: Jun 22, 2017 6:13 AM

One of the best ever. Threw a mean behind the back pass.

2. wny49er says: Jun 22, 2017 6:19 AM

Skins fans, apperciate every game he has left to call. Living near Buffalo, I really miss hearing Van Miller call the Bills game and he stopped 14 years ago.

3. Indybear says: Jun 22, 2017 7:04 AM

There’s no reason to slow down or stop at that age, unless yo are doing yourself harm. My Dad of the same age insists on cutting his grass with a push mower in the Indiana heat because it’s “his exercise”. I can’t convince him otherwise.

People of that era, who lived through the Depression and world wars and built this country that we continue to crap on, will never stop.

4. kemp13 says: Jun 22, 2017 8:15 AM

I love Sonny Jurgensen. He’s my favorite Redskin, period. He’s the best radio analyst I’ve ever heard, period.

But it’s time to hang up the headphones. The last few years it’s been painful to listen to him. And he’s been contributing less, which means more air time for Larry Michael, who is the worst radio play-by-play guy I’ve ever heard, period. SUCH a homer.

5. wvtbred says: Jun 22, 2017 8:20 AM

Love Sonny and just glad we will still be able to hear his voice on half of the games.

Hail to the Redskins!

6. fennecfox1947 says: Jun 22, 2017 8:40 AM

Agree with Kemp13. Chris Cooley does 90% of the analysis from the booth. Sonny did not sound right last year. At least he recognizes it’s time to go.

7. woodbridgekid73 says: Jun 22, 2017 9:13 AM

5th best QB in franchise history:

1. Sammy Baugh
    2. Joe Theismann
    3. Mark Rypien
    4. Doug Williams
    5. Sonny Jurgensen
    6. Kirk Cousins

8. tdskinz says: Jun 22, 2017 9:38 AM

Love me some Christian Adolph Jurgenson.

Hail to the Redskins!!!

9. jamaltimore says: Jun 22, 2017 10:15 AM

Sonny is an all around great guy however he needs to retire from the booth. I’m not even sure he’s awake for most of the games.

10. willyalistentothis says: Jun 22, 2017 10:18 AM

At 83 Sonny could start for the Jets.

11. olefballcoach says: Jun 22, 2017 11:19 AM

I just want to smoke a cigar with him

12. wvtbred says: Jun 22, 2017 12:49 PM

5. Sonny Jurgensen
    6. Kirk Cousins

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Sammy Baugh – No doubt about this one, hell yes
    2. Joe Theismann – I give him the nod here as well
    3. Mark Rypien – NOPE, place him 5th
    4. Doug Williams – Yes, he could have been number 2 if he had spent his whole career with us. His legs/knees were worn out by the time we got him. He is lucky he survived TB.
    5. Sonny Jurgensen – NOPE swap with Ryp at 3
    6. Kirk Cousins – For now but a rising star

13. benjicarver says: Jun 22, 2017 1:00 PM

Not even a Skins fan, but love hearing Sonny’s voice during the games. As stated above, Cooley does the bulk of the analysis and Sonny puts his two cents in every couple of minutes. It is an enjoyable listen.

14. joedskins1959 says: Jun 22, 2017 3:34 PM

Started going to the games in 1965 and Sonny will always be my favorite Redskin. Hail to the Redskins and Hail to Sonny Jurgensen.

1. Sammy Baugh
    2. Sonny Jurgensen
    3. Joe Theisman

15. joedskins1959 says: Jun 22, 2017 3:38 PM

Don’t forget Eddie LeBaron

16. bigmikeskinsfan says: Jun 26, 2017 1:58 PM

its nice to see honest people commenting on Sonny. he is a stand up guy and deserves the respect that we give all football legends.

17. channer81 says: Jun 27, 2017 3:59 PM

Frank, Sonny and Sam were the best.. Can we trade Larry Michael for a mic cover???