Tramon Williams says he wanted out of unstable Cleveland environment

Getty Images

Cornerback Tramon Williams was released by the Cleveland Browns in February after spending the last two seasons with the club.

Williams started 22 out of a total 27 games played for the Browns over that span, recording 105 total tackles with two interceptions.

However, Williams said he was as ready to move on from the Browns as the team was from him at the end of last season. In an interview with John Clayton and Pat Kirwin on Sirius XM NFL Radio, Williams felt the situation in Cleveland wasn’t exactly ideal.

“At the end of the day, those guys were just going in a different direction,” Williams said. “From the start of training camp to the beginning of the season, they were going in a different direction. And it came a point during the season to where I wanted to be released. That’s why we got released because it wasn’t a stable spot. It’s not a stable spot. You don’t know who’s going to be the coaches from year to year, and I didn’t know that so I didn’t want to be one of those veterans who is stuck in a spot and at the end of the day, I’m not going to be able to get a job because I was on a bad team. That’s why I wanted to get out of there.”

Williams had two different head coaches – Mike Pettine and Hue Jackson – and two different defensive coordinators – Jim O’Neil and Ray Horton – in his two years in Cleveland. Williams would have had to adjust to a third defensive coordinator in Gregg Williams should he have remained with the Browns in 2018. Considering Williams came from a nine-year run with the Green Bay Packers that featured little flux in the coaching staff over that span, it’s hardly surprising he would view the Browns environment as chaotic.

Williams thanked the Browns for allowing him to move on and seek a different opportunity. He added that he’s been in contact with several teams about playing for the upcoming season.

“I’m ready to get to one of these teams and help out,” Williams said. “And the team that I’m look for is going to be a team, obviously, that is stable and wants to win, so that’s kind of what I’m looking for at this point.”

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Tramon Williams says he wanted out of unstable Cleveland environment”
  1. Anicra says: Jun 22, 2017 4:59 AM

Honestly the last time the browns were stable …about 1985-89.
    Those years were the last time the Browns had 3 or more season where they did not have a losing record.
    1994, 2002 and 2007 were the only other winning seasons. Crazy.

2. jbarr1 says: Jun 22, 2017 5:36 AM

One of my fav ex Pack players ever. His pick 6 against Atlanta just before the half in the 2010 playoffs Is my favorite play ever! Best of luck Tramon

3. campcouch says: Jun 22, 2017 6:02 AM

Better hope he gets signed or he’ll wish he was getting those different direction checks again.

4. gbfanforever says: Jun 22, 2017 6:47 AM

Good player, he’ll catch on somewhere like New England or Dallas where they hoard veterans.
    I’ll never forget his pick six against the falcons in the NFC championship game a few years back.

5. NFLexpert says: Jun 22, 2017 7:05 AM

Sounds like another hanger-onner who doesn’t know when he is washed up. Probably has neck muscle spasms from turning to see all the balls thrown over his head…

6. brownsclown says: Jun 22, 2017 7:19 AM

Would seem more stable to Tramon if he had better footwork and was faster than my grandmother!

7. goooooobrowns says: Jun 22, 2017 7:54 AM

It’s not a big secret that the Browns tanked last year. All the players played hard but they played rooks in front of veterans and played a lot of different formations and lineups. Still, it’s mighty convenient to crap on the team that releases you and make it seem mutual in order to look better in the eyes of new suitors. I know that’s what I did when Brenda dumped me 8th grade. Not proud.

8. kwjsb says: Jun 22, 2017 8:04 AM

Timing is everything, 2 years ago I agreed with him, but now they have finally turned the corner and I see JImmy Haslam keeping this group together for the next 10 years. Continuity is the piece of the puzzle that has always been missing.

9. dirtydawg44 says: Jun 22, 2017 8:06 AM

Sound like someone’s desperate for work. His nickname was “toast” anyway…

10. mustangbryk says: Jun 22, 2017 8:14 AM

Funny he asked for a release… I’m pretty sure the browns cut all the old player because they were old and slow and didn’t fit the rebuild model. He is gonna wish the browns wanted to keep him for one more season and he see’s what is on the field this year from the defense. Greg Williams knows how to get the most out of player I wouldn’t doubt we see the browns in the top 10 D’s of the league this year.

11. tylawspick6 says: Jun 22, 2017 8:33 AM

Welcome to Pats’ camp.

Good luck.

12. numba1wiscosportsfan says: Jun 22, 2017 8:47 AM

Nice. Come back too the PACK, we need help on defense big time!! Go pack

13. stillabengalsfan says: Jun 22, 2017 8:50 AM

Cleveland is turning it around. Hue knows what he is doing. They ran the ball well last year, but couldn’t stop anyone, which forced them to throw more than desired. They upgraded their o-line and defense this off season. They will pound the ball even more this year, and will end up close to .500.

14. kneedragr says: Jun 22, 2017 8:54 AM

Pretty old for a CB, lots of miles, not sure he will be in demand anywhere even for league min.

15. The Almighty Cabbage says: Jun 22, 2017 9:14 AM

I wouldn’t mind him coming back to the Pack at a modest salary to see what he has left in the tank. He was successful playing for Joe Whitt and could be again. Or not. I think I’d like to find out, though, after all the injuries last year.

16. daddeeo says: Jun 22, 2017 9:46 AM

So the old saying is TREU – I’d give up millions of dollars not to have to be in Cleveland!

17. daddeeo says: Jun 22, 2017 9:47 AM

Who wouldn’t give up $$$ to get out of the Browns? They are trying to follow the CAVS model – basement dweller purposefully in order to get draft picks which will sell shirts.

18. cribbage12 says: Jun 22, 2017 9:50 AM

Well his desire to win leaves the Vikings out of contention. Too bad because you know Rick’s been speed-dialing his agent like an aluminum siding salesman since February.

19. truthbetold109 says: Jun 22, 2017 11:48 AM

Will probably be going to Minnesota since the Pack scorched their secondary for 38 points at the end of the season.

20. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 22, 2017 11:54 AM

He was spoiled for most of his career by playing in the soft NFCN, where mediocre teams win the division. He couldn’t cut it in the powerhouse AFCN.

21. joemammy says: Jun 22, 2017 12:38 PM

This man was nothing but a paid spectator on the field. Wonder why most passes were thrown to your side of the field, Tramon?

Pretty obvious to an entire stadium of Clevelanders…

Old and slow.

22. brownoholic says: Jun 22, 2017 4:49 PM

Sorry, Tramon. You were obviously over the hill from Day 1 in The Land.

Not arguing with you though. It’s been beyond bad and hopefully getting better.

23. beavwarius says: Jun 22, 2017 5:08 PM

you had a nice run. enjoy your wealth. take comfort in the fact that you can still walk, and talk well.

24. wordsmith513 says: Jun 22, 2017 5:37 PM

Never mind how washed up TW is. Even he can see where Cleveland is going. After all – he had to cut himself. Now that is unstable.

25. mrfrostyj says: Jun 22, 2017 9:25 PM

“I totally wanted to be cut from the team that literally cut every guy my age from their last ranked defense and my part in why I started when they tried to tank the season after cutting the guys better than me on the depth chart has nothing to do with why I’m still unemployed 5 months later”.

26. thegreatjimbrown says: Jun 23, 2017 3:28 PM

Tramon, I think retirement might be looming for you. As much as I loved your story from UDFA to number one cover corner in GB, those days are behind you. You used to be THE MAN on Megatron and Brandon Marshall and all the number one WRs. And I don’t think you’re big enough to transition to safety. So it might be time to hang up the cleats and enjoy your family, with a Super Bowl ring to remind you of your playing days. Will always love what you brought to the Pack, playing your best ball in the run to the Title.

27. trickbunny says: Jun 23, 2017 4:47 PM

“I was on a bad team.” “We were going in different directions.” TRANSLATION: “I’m part of the reason the team was really bad because I was burnt on a regular basis. Now they want someone who can actually play the position competently, and that’s not me, so.. you know.. different directions.”

28. Brandon in Northwest Suburbia says: Jun 25, 2017 9:29 PM

Well he was old, ineffective, and expensive. You might have wanted out of Cleveland but there’s a reason none of the other teams has signed you yet.

Congrats, you had a nice career and got a nice paycheck at the end from Cleveland. But it’s pretty clear you’ve played your last game. For anybody.

29. cmoney20 says: Jun 26, 2017 11:50 AM

I’m pretty sure I know how Tramon Williams speaks of ex girlfriends who broke up with him.

30. silvernblacksabbath says: Jun 27, 2017 1:29 PM

The grass is always greener.. Should have stayed in GB for a little less… He may have another ring!