Cam Newton: A Super Bowl ring is the one thing missing from my life

Getty Images

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton is motivated by just one thing.

A Super Bowl ring, Newton told high school players at a 7-on-7 tournament he hosted, is what drives him, and the only thing he’s seeking in life.

Newton told the young players that when he was their age, he decided success at the highest level was his only option.

“The only way I put myself in this situation to be successful was I didn’t have no plan B,” Newton said. “I told myself, at the end of the day, I’m gonna be a football player and a football player only. And a lot of guys get it misconstrued because you’re setting yourself up for failure; that’s what some people think. But in myself I was thinking, ‘I ain’t got no other alternative. Either I’m gonna dominate this man in front of me or not.’”

Newton has done plenty in football since he told himself he had no plan B: He won a Heisman Trophy and a national championship in college, and he has an MVP award in the NFL. Now he just needs that ring.

120 responses to “Cam Newton: A Super Bowl ring is the one thing missing from my life

1. If a ring is that important to him, you would think to recover a loose football in a playoff game would also rank pretty high on his list of priorities. And you would be wrong to think so.

2. You could probably blame your ground ball covering skills why you have a missing ring. You also come across as a bit of a tool although I could be wrong as I am only forming that opinion on what i read and see on the tv and you can’t always go on that.

3. Wait….he thought it was all dabs and first down poses. Nobody said he had to dive on his own fumbles to get a ring. He better just buy one because it ain’t happening.

4. ispeakthetruthraiders says:
    Jun 25, 2017 2:52 PM

———-

When you got nothing…..play the race card

5. It’s one of many things missing from Vikings fan’s lives.

As for Newton — he has a great life and he knows it. That’s pretty refreshing.

6. All the people endlessly harping about the fumble have obviously never watched any Panthers games, where one can frequently witness Newton doing everything from dangerous flips into the end zone to ramming people with his throwing shoulder to secure a few extra yards when he’s rushing. The SB thing was just a reflex reaction and probably had no significant impact on the game. Get over it.

7. webofbelief says:
    Jun 25, 2017 3:13 PM

8. ispeakthetruthraiders says:
    Jun 25, 2017 2:52 PM
    ———————————–

What does his color have to do with his showboating and unwillingness to dive on a loose ball? And how is he any ‘better at life’ than anyone else?

Overplaying the race card only diminishes the underlying message.

9. He is a self-centered jerk who is only concerned about himself. He is as far from a leader as you could possibly have at the QB position.

10. ispeakthetruthraiders says:
    Jun 25, 2017 2:52 PM
    These comments are from people who dislike a black QB being better at life then them.. get off the couch.

Racists blaming racism is getting old.

11. He’s a talented QB with many playing years left. As he matures, and when the team can fine tune the plays and schemes to maximize his skills and abilities he’ll have that ring. It may be sooner than later due to the recent draft.

12. ispeakthetruthraiders says:
    Jun 25, 2017 2:52 PM

————————

Cam Newton is a clown dude. Teddy Bridgewater is my favorite QB. Are you saying he isn’t black because he carries himself like an adult?

Racist.

13. But in myself I was thinking, ‘I ain’t got no other alternative. Either I’m gonna dine on this ball in front of me or not.’”

14. ————————————————————-
    webofbelief says:
    Jun 25, 2017 3:13 PM

———————————————————–

You’re right. Cam is as tough and as skillful as NFL QB’s come. I know it and everyone who knows that a football field is 120 yards long knows it.

15. He hasn’t won a SB but he has so many other things to be grateful for:

Capri pants? Check
    Ridiculous hats? Check
    Stolen laptop from U of Florida classmate? Check
    Exaggerated sense of self worth? Check

16. In fairness to Cam, when Peyton committed a penalty and caused his center to snap the ball over his head for a safety, resulting in the fastest score in SB history in a game he eventually lost 43-8, he also pulled up short and refused to dive for it. Man that was funny.

17. ————————————————————–
    ispeakthetruthraiders says:
    Jun 25, 2017 2:52 PM
    ————————————————————–

What does a black QB have to do with it? Most of the comments here are from people who’d dislike a black and white skunk with rabies for being better at life than them. (But, you’re right… they’re probably okay with the white stripe down the middle of the skunk’s back.)

18. webofbelief says:
    Jun 25, 2017 3:13 PM
    The SB thing was just a reflex reaction and probably had no significant impact on the game. .
    ——

Yeah. A turnover late in the game when his team was down by only a few points had little to do with the outcome of the game. Sure.

Face it, after that play the game was over. Game set match Broncos.

I would respect Cam a lot more if he stopped making excuses and just came out and said, “you know guys, Von Miller and the rest of Denvers D beat me like a rented mule all game and I was gun shy.”

As things are, acting a fool all season with the dabs and poses then shutting down because you were afraid to get hit in the face is not a good look.

19. The same people here trashing Newton for not having false humility are probably the same ones saying how great Tim Tebow was. Despite his desire to play quarterback even if consistently throwing a football accurately is the chief requirement of the job.
    Tebow was < 50% completion rate and ya'll would take him over a former league MVP. LOL @ fanboy fans.

20. —————————————————————
    bittersportspills says:
    Jun 25, 2017 4:24 PM
    ————————————————————–

You mean Tebow was trying to complete passes? I thought he was plowing fields to solve world hunger.

21. Maybe I thinking too deep but the headline cracked me up. He hasnt married, raised a family, many other things there is a lot in life he still hasnt discovered other than just that one football accomplisment.

22. somehomer says:
    Jun 25, 2017 4:30 PM
    still would have lost game if dove on fumble

-the over simplification police-

——————-
    Yeah but the game before taking an equally bad physical beating Brady stayed tough and kept making plays even while the body slams continued, thus almost pulling that out. Cam in contrast got upset and quit trying. The Denver D was playing out of their minds and laid a nasty beating of two QBs in back to back games so you got to see exactly what the difference was mentally between a champion and a pretender in the face of adversity.

23. I think we should all remember that this comment section is not our own private living room where we get to say and do pretty much whatever we like.

24. —————————————————————
    haanster says:
    Jun 25, 2017 4:50 PM
    —————————————————————

That makes me wonder what you say in your living room.

25. Doesn’t sound like a guy who led his team to finish last in their division last season with only 6 wins. Cam also had a pass completion percentage of only 52% (Ryan Tannehill’s was 67.9%, but he’s not elite).

26. nh pats says:
    When you got nothing…..play the race card
    ————–
    why wouldn’t we play the race card????
    look at your history from the beginning ton”affluenza”.
    It is a viable premise.

27. Gotta give the guy credit for admitting that all he knows how to do is play football and nothing else.

28. dcpatfan says:
    Jun 25, 2017 5:09 PM
    nh pats says:
    When you got nothing…..play the race card
    ————–
    why wouldn’t we play the race card????
    look at your history from the beginning ton”affluenza”.
    It is a viable premise.

Maybe because every black mans failure can’t be attributed to race.

29. bittersportspills says:
    Jun 25, 2017 4:24 PM

——————-
    I dont know of anyone saying they would take Tebow over Newton, thats in your mind. Tebow does show humilty and class where Newton has a lot of growing to do. Tebow is tough in the face of adversity where Cam still needs to develop that or at least demonstrate it. But if I need a qb to help my team win its Newton over Tebow any day not even a pause to consider. Despite all of his issues Newton still has all kinds of QB skills Tebow doesn't. Tebow has hit his ceiling and no amount of coaching or mental growth is going to change that, Cams ceiling could be on the moon somewhere if he ever grows up. Despite all the lame attempts guys make to insinuate these decisions are made on any other basis its really just who can help a team more and in this case its definately Cam.

30. denverscott says:
    Jun 25, 2017 5:19 PM
    dcpatfan says:
    Jun 25, 2017 5:09 PM
    nh pats says:
    When you got nothing…..play the race card
    ————–
    why wouldn’t we play the race card????
    look at your history from the beginning ton”affluenza”.
    It is a viable premise.

Maybe because every black mans failure can’t be attributed to race.

————

Ouch, lets all take a step back and tone this down. There is no need to interject race here and who cares who started it lets stop.

Cams need to grow up is not a racial thing and more importantly its not a failure either. Its just that he has not fully lived up to his potential yet. Lets face it, he is still a very good football player as it stands already and if you are not a Panthers fan you will rue the day Cam gets over his maturity issues. He still has a lot of career ahead of him and you think Tom Brady is a thorn in your side?

31. I laugh at people who say he has no humility. Does Tom Brady have anything but feigned humility? Not if you watch him on the field. The point is you want someone at the helm with that kind of drive and determination. Humility is for what you do off the field, like hosting a 7-7 for high school players. Don’t think Brady does that, yet he is forgiven.

Cam didn’t play an awesome SB. It was also his first. Panthers (not my team) will be back. But give me one poster who wants a submissive QB and I will show you a troll. Lay off the guy, I doubt many people on here have been an MVP or won a NCAA Championship.

32. Until what he’s going to wear at the post game pressers becomes less important than actually winning the games to him, he’ll never get a SB ring.

33. He could have told the children something that would be encouraging and help to develop them in to better players and men, but he chose to stroke his ego instead….. I want a super bowl ring, I,I,I,I

34. harrisonhits2 says:
    Jun 25, 2017 5:37 PM
    —————-
    Why? because he likes to look good at the podium?
    Tom is a bit of a fashionista at the podium as well…what’s the difference in regards to importance?

35. Or maybe it’s that cam’s football knowledge is below average. His skill set is quite depressing too.

36. I like Cam, but I’m not sure telling little kids that they should have no Plan B is the best advice. He needs to remember that he was also born a freak size/speed athlete. If I had no Plan B and completely poured myself into football, I’d probably be like 6’2, 195 with a 4.9 40, instead of my real 6’2, 180 with maybe like 5.1 40, generously estimated. In either case, I’d need a promotion at work before I’d be allowed to clean the toilets.

37. dcpatfan says:
    Jun 25, 2017 5:49 PM
    harrisonhits2 says:
    Jun 25, 2017 5:37 PM
    —————-
    Why? because he likes to look good at the podium?

0 1

——

umm, one guy is the consummate pro, teammate
    and winner and the other isn’t?

38. Just for his behavior after he lost his one and only Superbowl, the football gods will insure he never gets to another. Sore loser, ungracious idiot and poor sport are more likely descriptors for Cam that Superbowl winning QB

39. ispeakthetruthraiders says:
    Jun 25, 2017 2:52 PM

——————————————————————-

this black guy is embarrassed by that comment

40. dcpatfan says:
    Jun 25, 2017 5:09 PM
    nh pats says:
    When you got nothing…..play the race card
    ————–
    why wouldn’t we play the race card????
    look at your history from the beginning ton”affluenza”.
    It is a viable premise.

——-
    No, it’s feeble minded and weak

41. reddzen says:
    Jun 25, 2017 5:36 PM

———————–
    But Brady actually has done that, and much more. Boy did you ever pick the wrong example. He is very active around New England, quite a few Patriots are. I would think you would know because everytime it gets leaked (he tries to downplay it) his critics all rise up to publish their two cents that its feigned, except that for a guy faking it thats sure a ton of examples. You might even recall the flap a couple weeks ago when a Globe reporter got shut out of one over ‘credentials. It wasnt supposed to make the news but the Globe made it that when they raised a stink over there reporter being turned away. That was exactly one of those games.

Cams off field work is certainly commendable, But you chose poorly for your example. Not even sure why you would pick him when there are other guys out there that would have illustrated your point.

42. mikeytoth says:
    Jun 25, 2017 6:14 PM

——————
    Funny, I have agreed with a lot of criticisms here but those two are the opposite of the truth. Especially regarding his skill set. His skill set is a beast to be harnesed once he gets past is other issues to take full advantage of it.

43. webofbelief says:
    Jun 25, 2017 3:13 PM
    ===================================

Hey, um, he admitted he was worried about getting hurt on that fumble. He didn’t even hide it.

44. reddzen says:
    Jun 25, 2017 6:53 PM

YouCryin?PatsMustBeDoingTheirJob says:
    Jun 25, 2017 6:05 PM
    Tom’s got 5.

—-

No Bill B has 5.
    ———————————————
    Nope. Bill has 7. Get back to the kid’s table.

45. gwhite13 says:
    Jun 25, 2017 6:50 PM
    just join the Pats, you’ll get one or two then.

—————–
    Cam Newton with Belichick’s guidance and coaching would just be scary.

46. ispeakthetruthraiders says:
    Jun 25, 2017 2:52 PM

———————————————
    100% true. And all the downvotes you got (and I will get) confirm that.

47. 1. Cam- you should want to win the SB for the Panthers, Charlotte, and Your fans – not for your resume! According to your past actions you appear to want come before any of the others in your world.
    2. Other icons: Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Bart Starr, SteveYoung, Joel Youngblood,
    Hacksaw Reynolds, and many more put the game and the team first- not themselves.
    3. Focus on you- and you will likely continue to fail.
    4. Make me a fool this year!

48. Automatically assuming everything is viewed through the eyes of racism is a weak and defeatist mentality. It also means that you view everything through the eyes of color yourself, and then project that on to everyone else. Should I apologize for being white? Will that make you happy? Which players am I allowed to cheer for? Obviously if I cheer for Brady, and not Newton it’s because I’m racist. Right? Making a blanket statement that every fan who dislikes Cam newton dislikes him simply because he is black is probably the dumbest thing a sports website has ever seen. News flash, the are 31 fan bases that hate him because he plays for the other team, and would cheer for him if he played for their team. That is mind boggling how all these racist white people would become unracist, right?

I’ll go a step further. If you dislike Brady, it’s because you are racist and jealous of a successful white man. If you dislike Rodgers, it’s because you are racist and jealous of a successful white man. If you dislike Manning, it’s because you are racist and jealous of a successful white man. Pretty stupid argument wouldn’t you think? Until black America changes their assumption of white people, no progress is going to be made. We had a black president, and only 13% of the population is black. That means a hell of a lot of racist white people forgot they were racist on Election Day. You simply assume everyone is racist, so who cares if I am or not, you already “know” I am.

49. “But in myself I was thinking ‘I ain’t got no other alternative…”
    ———————-
    You ain’t not never got no basic edukation none, neither – and you can’t not blame Auburn University none for that… College kidults today think they can run the world when they can’t even construct a sentence in basic English – and Auburn probably gave their QB an A+ for English.

50. His refusal to cover his own fumble is the worst display of effort I’ve ever seen in a regular season football game not just the Superbowl.
    —————————————————————
    So you had no problem at all with a gaggle of NFL refs that had obviously bet a huge sum of kesh on the Broncos

51. Man makes mistakes. Is not perceived well.
    “He’s lazy and undeserving!” Cry PFT fans.

Man wins MVP, publicly acknowledges issues, strives to do better.
    “Lazy and undeserving!” Scream increasingly bitter PFT fans.

Got it.

52. We will see if he has gained any wisdom from his superbowl appearance or the following disastrous year. If he doesn’t make a serious run at it this year, then it probably won’t happen.

53. medialovesthecowboys says:
    Jun 25, 2017 7:19 PM
    ispeakthetruthraiders says:
    Jun 25, 2017 2:52 PM

———————————————
    100% true. And all the downvotes you got (and I will get) confirm that.
    —————————————

That either of you believe you are in a position to speak to who is ‘better at life’ than another says far more about you than it does about anyone that chose to down vote that level of presumption. The very use of the phrase is small minded. Using it to defame as others for their supposed small mindedness is absurd.

54. >>“I’m looking at my life right now and I’m saying, ‘I’m missing one thing: I want a Super Bowl,’” Newton said, via the Charlotte Observer. “Yeah, but it’s really certain things that you have to really fine-tune and say, ‘Am I deserving to be a Super Bowl-winning quarterback? How can I push myself to be a better me?’”

Try making an attempt to recover your fumble.
    Thats a start.

55. Cam, you need to grow up and be a good teammate first. How you behaved after the Super Bowl loss was a perfect lesson for showing young athletes how NOT to act.

56. Reddzen , when you try to compare Newton to Brady you lose all credibility. He does not belong in the same sentence as Brady, either as a QB or a man. Newton is a punk who has yet to grow up. Brady knows what it takes to win, the tremendous sacrifice and hard work. Steve Smith will tell you Newton never put in the work. He just wanted to be a “star.”

57. So Cam is telling these youngsters to have no plan B,thus chasing a dream that most likely lands them in a low paying dead end job since about one in a million high school athletes make it to the big leagues.Go ahead kid ditch the books,it worked for me.Great advice Cam.

58. To all the haters that says he should have just dove for the football…

If he had dove for it, the way his legs were positioned, they could have been contorted. You say his effort? He didn’t dive down. He fumbled – that’s fine. That’s fine

59. All you stiff ,white Charlotte folks dont deserve Cam! The most exciting QB if football history and he’s still not good enough? Must be all you Trump morons!

60. be more than a 1 year wonder..

-master your technique and decision making
    -play with a little heart when facing teams with a winning record
    -learn how to prepare for games
    -adjust to adversity
    -don’t throw your team under the bus
    -learn what a zone blitz is and that you aren’t immune to it
    -stop being a primadonna
    -change your number, it’s tacky to wear number 1

61. Some other college student was missing a laptop from their life when Cam was in his collegiate years.

62. lingsun54 says:
    Jun 25, 2017 3:18 PM

“His refusal to cover his own fumble is the worst display of effort I’ve ever seen in a regular season football game not just the Superbowl.”

Do you even watch football?

63. medialovesthecowboys says:
    Jun 25, 2017 7:19 PM
    ispeakthetruthraiders says:
    Jun 25, 2017 2:52 PM

———————————————
    100% true. And all the downvotes you got (and I will get) confirm that.

This is great stuff. Start with a racist premise then have another racist jump in to tell us that if you don’t agree you’re racist.

With guys like this supporting “the cause” black folks don’t stand a chance. Whites aren’t holding you back. You need to look elsewhere. Those who fought for racial equality 50- 60 -70 years ago would be disappointed by your lazy attempts.

64. Just call the girl whom you stole the laptop
    from and apologize. Pay her restitution and interest.
    Dive on loose balls instead of backing up. Quit
    dressing up so much to draw attention yourself.
    Get accurate.

65. webofbelief says:
    Jun 25, 2017 11:45 PM
    lingsun54 says:
    Jun 25, 2017 3:18 PM

Do you even watch football?

——-

The entire world witnessed Cam’s cowardice……it will be his defining moment

66. What do Brady, Manning, Moon, Cunningham have in common?

All played QB in the NFL and none of them were seen dancing like they were in the school play after making a play.

Got nothing at all to do with color of one’s skin, rather the depth of one’s character.

If I want to see clowns I go to the circus. If I want to see dancing I watch DWTS. If I want to see exceptional character on a football field, I don’t look for cam Newton. And that’s unfortunate, given his gifts.

67. pantherpro says:
    Jun 25, 2017 11:20 PM

WOW, you can see the color of the skin of those who comment? Or do you think that blacks don’t ever say anything negative against another black? Check out Sherman vs Wilson, might open your eyes.

BTW, you sound like Kanye West ripping the mic from the hands of a skinny white girl. Most exciting qb in football history? smh.

68. Cam Cheating, a man whom I loathe with my very being cheated twice and was caught twice – violated college honor code twice – had a stolen laptop in his possession and intentionally ditched it when the police arrived.

This man has never earned jack – he has been treated like the athlete he is – and he fled one college for another to avoid being held accountable for his cheating.

And he couldn’t bring himself to fall on a fumble?

I hope he never gets a chance to go back to the Super Bowl. That jerk.

69. Yeah, it all about race. That’s why I love(d) Russell Wilson, Steve McNair, Warren Moon, and Donovan McNabb, because I hate successful black QB’s.

Cam is a chump, never a champ. It doesn’t have a d@mn thing to do with his skin color.

70. Racism is merely a symptom of supremely dumb people breeding. Please, dumb people everywhere, do your part to end racism. Support mandated birth control benefits in healthcare insurance and family planning (birth control) assistance at the public assistance level. God is counting on you to make the world a smarter place.

71. After that beat down that you took by the Broncos, you’ll always be looking over your shoulder and hearing footsteps !!!

72. bannedfromchoirpractice says:
    Jun 26, 2017 11:33 AM

Spot on! I couldn’t agree more. Irresponsible procreation resulting in thousands upon thousands of single parent families going unsupported by the selfish “men” who seem to think having multiple kids out of wedlock makes them a man. This irresponsible procreation is most evident in one segment of the population which accounts for nearly 3/4 of all single parent families and if it’s not stemmed soon it will part and parcel to the financial downfall of this country.

Or perhaps you can suggest a plan to deal with millions of fatherless, uneducated, unemployable people? You’re full of clever observations. Please share!