Jets fans have no issue with tanking, but don’t approve of owner

Getty Images

The Jets currently aren’t good. And they seem to be embracing the opportunity to be as bad as they possibly could be. And their season-ticket holders don’t seem to have a problem with that.

As explained by Brian Costello the New York Post, a survey of Jets season-ticket holders shows that they have no objection to the team’s apparent tanking.

Question: “What do you think of the Jets’ current plan to get rid of older, expensive players and sacrifice the 2017 season in order to get a high pick in 2018?” Of the 110 who responded, 79 percent approved of the approach. Still, 80 percent of those who responded will still root for the Jets to win.

But that’s not because of the current owner. Fifty-six percent of the season-ticket holders said they don’t approve of the job Woody Johnson is doing. For them, the good news is that his brother, Christopher Wold Johnson, will eventually be doing that job, once Woody becomes the U.S. ambassador to the United Kingdom.

Some think that could be better for the Jets, putting someone/anyone else in charge of what could be a long-overdue turnaround of the franchise.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Jets fans have no issue with tanking, but don’t approve of owner”
  1. magnumpimustache says: Jun 26, 2017 2:16 PM

J-E-T-S

Just enough to lose. Thank you

19-0

2. bobthebillsfan says: Jun 26, 2017 2:18 PM

Although tanking a season is not considered cheating it sure as hell is poor sportsmanship. and I think reflects poorly on the organization and it’s management and owner.

As a Bills fan and former season ticket holder, it is one thing to field a crappy team because of poor management or the coaching is inept, but at least they are trying. To tank on purpose is another thing altogether. To me, it’s a stain that can never be washed away.

3. patriotsdefense says: Jun 26, 2017 2:20 PM

4. redlikethepig says: Jun 26, 2017 2:35 PM

The Jets and the Brownies … making all other fans feel better about their teams.

5. valentino8100 says: Jun 26, 2017 2:48 PM

Shouldn’t be surprised that Jets fans are ok with tanking. Loser fans for a loser franchise.

6. firecracker87 says: Jun 26, 2017 2:53 PM

Jets cheating? Noo! Can’t be so!

Replace Jets with Pats and how much of a firestorm would this be?!?!

7. teal379 says: Jun 26, 2017 2:55 PM

I’d rather my team go 0-16 and be making an effort than basically no effort and tank.

8. pauldeba says: Jun 26, 2017 3:01 PM

I think this re-destroying plan will meet great success and lead the Jets to a long term position of double digit loss seasons and high draft picks.

9. MichaelEdits says: Jun 26, 2017 3:02 PM

You don’t have to be a Jets fan to disapprove of their owner.

10. collectordude says: Jun 26, 2017 3:14 PM

Does anyone really think the Jets will pick a future star QB by tanking the season?

I can practically guarantee the Jets won’t get to the Super Bowl with whomever they pick.

11. 345snarkavenue says: Jun 26, 2017 3:14 PM

if anyone can botch tanking a season, it would be the Jets. They’ll probably 7-9.

12. mannyiac says: Jun 26, 2017 3:15 PM

Well,at least Jets fans can root for an 0-16 season.

13. bullcharger says: Jun 26, 2017 3:23 PM

Jets better hope the NFL doesn’t introduce a draft lottery for 2018.

14. tylawspick6 says: Jun 26, 2017 3:23 PM

LOL!!!

The country is loving it. Anything to make those arrogant and entitled and insufferable people suffer some more.

15. bobbyb06073 says: Jun 26, 2017 3:25 PM

I have thought about this long and hard…Woody with all his wealth is never going to get us to a Super Bowl…The butchering of our “Older, High Paid” players late in the off season is a prime example of no leadership. I am going to root for David Harris to burn us to exemplify why Woody is a worthless owner. Is it too late to bring back Leon?

16. jimmyjohns01 says: Jun 26, 2017 3:27 PM

Only 110 respondents and you say “Jets fans” approve of it? Maybe if tickets were dirt cheap tickets with free beer they would approve of tanking. Otherwise who’d even think about paying all that money to see them lose intentionally.

17. arcross12042004scorp15 says: Jun 26, 2017 3:30 PM

I agree with teal379. When I coached football, I took the Mike Singletary approach and benched players for lack of effort. When I was informed by one of these very talented, benched players that we would lose because he was much better then the guy that I put in his place. My reply was , I know, but at least that guy will give me his max effort.
    I want the most out of my team and my players. I can accept losing. Sometimes they are bigger, faster and stronger. I can’t accept not trying. So what JeMarcus Russell ?happens if we tank and get Tim Couch or

18. sbmcintosh36 says: Jun 26, 2017 3:33 PM

patriotsdefense says:
    Jun 26, 2017 2:20 PM
    Woody Johnson cost the Jets Bill Belichick. BB was okay with the organization when it was Mr. Hess………………………………………………………………………………

Well except for the fact that Woody didn’t own the team yet so there’s that

19. peebag says: Jun 26, 2017 3:53 PM

It’s not tanking if your team sucks.

20. fakebookfreddy says: Jun 26, 2017 3:53 PM

Jets have spent all season installing their 2017 Just Tank system. They are working hard on 2018 Just Tank system.

21. tonebones says: Jun 26, 2017 4:09 PM

What good is a high pick if you pick the wrong player. Good thing the Patriots tanked to get Tom Brady. Oh, that’s right. He was a sixth round pick. Teams with good talent evaluators will dominate the teams with high picks. Why do you think a lot of those teams pick high every year.

22. San Diego Sportswire says: Jun 26, 2017 4:10 PM

Hows the league’s “Integrity of the Shield” doing Roger?

Ripping teams from cities and fans where a 1/4 of the league’s team names aren’t played in that actual city.

Denying CTE symptoms.

Tanking talked about openly.

Domestic abuse issue… couldn’t have been handled worse by anyone anywhere.

Ratings dropping because of the BS listed above.

Real bang up job Roger and Co.!

23. kevpft says: Jun 26, 2017 4:24 PM

I’ve never wanted teams I’ve liked/followed to tank in order to get some benefit. I want them to win, want them to get better players, but in the meantime I want an honest result.

Cowboys fan here. People make fun of years of 8-8, but say what you like about them, they are not a team that gives up to cheat the system. They’ve tried to get better by getting better and not giving up. In some ways it’s been a slog for teams and fans alike. But it’s also been genuine, and that makes success feel better when it arrives.

What the Jets are doing now and, for example, what the Colts seemingly did to get Luck are things I don’t respect. And if you can’t respect the process, what’s the point of the result?

24. rugolin says: Jun 26, 2017 4:27 PM

I am not not sure I understand the tanking narrative with the Jets. They were 5-11 with overpaid,self satisfied and underproducing players which they have gotten rid of and replacing them with younger,hungrier and cheaper players. These players will finally get a chance to get gametime experience with the overpaid veterans out of the way. That to me is moving forward in letting young guys play and using the extra money to pay for better players in the future.Sure worked for Jimmy Johnston when they purged the roster in Dallas back in the day.

25. redclaw1314 says: Jun 26, 2017 4:40 PM

What could be worse for the integrity of the game than tanking (losing on purpose)?

26. KendraChelsea says: Jun 26, 2017 4:43 PM

There are two problems with tanking (unless you were an already decent colts team) is 1) you are teaching your already bad team to lose 2) if they do take a qb 1st next year, by the time they have the talent to actually win, your qb will have already lost his all important confidence. Ask the browns how easy it is to go from a losing tradition to a winning one.

27. ebr362 says: Jun 26, 2017 4:43 PM

I would be pissed off if I was a season ticket holder. The cost of going to a NFL game is ridiculous to begin with, add in the team I am spending my hard earned money is making no secret it is tanking the season and for what, the hope that it can get a good QB in the draft? They are more than a qb away from being able to field a competitive team. If I was Bowles I’d demand a huge raise for the embarrassment they are about to put him through.

28. imaduffer says: Jun 26, 2017 5:39 PM

How will Las Vegas odd makers play this? Will they not have any bets on the Jets games?

29. BarbequeTime says: Jun 26, 2017 7:25 PM

firecracker87 says:
    Jun 26, 2017 2:53 PM
    Jets cheating? Noo! Can’t be so!

Replace Jets with Pats and how much of a firestorm would this be?!?!

————————

Patriots tanked the year before last. Lost in the AFC championship. The Patriots live by a higher bar than most teams so losing a Superbowl is treated as a losing season their critics crow about for years and an AFCCS loss counts as outright shameful tanking. Their critics (the guys that also celebrate when their own teams miss the playoffs by less than usual) are very vocal making sure everyone knows this.

30. ibillwt says: Jun 28, 2017 11:24 AM

Belichick could inherit the Jets’ roster and have them competitive immediately, in the playoffs within 2-3 years, and kicking butts in 4 years. Screwed up biblically when they let Parcells hang around as GM to try and take credit for another Belichick super bowl trophy as HCNYJ. Tanking teams stay losers because they have loser GMs and/or coaches.