Cam Newton: I know I need to be better

Getty Images

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton resumed throwing last week for the first time since having right shoulder surgery and said there’s “no doubt” that he’ll be fully ready for training camp next month.

When Newton does get on the field with the rest of the team, he’ll be working on getting the one thing he says is missing from his life. That would be a Super Bowl ring and the 2015 NFL MVP said that he believes getting there will call on him to step up his game.

“The more I reflect on who I am or what I have become and what I can still become — I need to be better. I know I need to be better,” Newton said to Bill Voth of the Panthers website. “I want to be better because me being my best me helps everything else around me, including this organization.”

One way Newton thinks he can be better is by putting less of the pressure to get things done on his own back. While the Panthers offense is always going to run through Newton, the quarterback said that the “hardest thing” about his maturation in the league has been the realization that “my job is not necessarily to always be the playmaker.”

The Panthers drafted running back Christian McCaffrey and wide receiver Curtis Samuel in the first two rounds this year and that has helped Newton feel that the team has the kind of talent around him to make that happen.

“When you look at quarterbacks and where I’m at right now, I want to commit everything to the game of football,” Newton said. “I want my diet to display that. I want my life to display that. I don’t want to look back when I’m 40 and be like, ‘Dang, when I was 28 and we had this talent around us, I didn’t maximize it.”

If everything falls into place on the offensive line in Carolina, Newton should have the time and opportunity to get the ball to others so that they can do more of the heavy lifting. Should things play out the other way, though, it may be hard for Newton to resist trying to make things happen on his own when he’s under fire.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Cam Newton: I know I need to be better”
  1. joetoronto says: Jun 27, 2017 10:52 AM

Seeing is believing, the guy is 28 years old and he’s still immature as can be.

2. bighoser says: Jun 27, 2017 10:53 AM

Completing north of 60% of your passes would be a start, Cam. Hint: McCaffrey’s hands aren’t at the bottom of his legs nor is he 10ft tall.

3. sb44champs says: Jun 27, 2017 10:54 AM

Cam Newton: I know I need to be better
    =========================
    Understatement of the year

4. painsyndicate says: Jun 27, 2017 10:57 AM

Dive for you own fumbles any time they happen. Not just in the most important game of your life.

Oh wait, you hesitated then too.

5. pantherfan4life says: Jun 27, 2017 10:59 AM

So here comes the hate – So Cam – who does great things here in Charlotte – gets slammed because of how he dresses – Ripped because he doesn’t lead like other QBs. Now he is acting humble and all we will hear is about how he did not dive for a fumble. Ok let the hate begin. Please those in glass house please feel free to throw the first stone.

6. nhpats says: Jun 27, 2017 11:05 AM

pantherfan4life says:
    Jun 27, 2017 10:59 AM
    ———–

C’mon man….Cam brought a lot of this on himself by showboating and gloating while beating up on lesser teams only to pout and hide under his towel when getting beat himself.

7. jgedgar70 says: Jun 27, 2017 11:13 AM

Odell Beckham acts like a crazy man on the field, and he’s a fiery competitor and an elite player. Cam Newton does end zone dances and he’s immature and the most evil human being alive.

Cam Newton runs up the middle to get a first down, and he’s a reckless idiot. Cam chooses not to pounce on a fumble in the last minutes of a Super Bowl his team doesn’t have a chance in hell to win, and every article about him for 2 years generates “jump on the fumble, you spawn of Satan!” comments.

Cam Newton dabs and dances and he’s a “me first” guy with no humility. Cam Newton does an interview where he is humble, focuses on what he needs to improve and he still gets no respect.

The double-standards know no bounds.

8. nhpats says: Jun 27, 2017 11:21 AM

jgedgar70 says:
    Jun 27, 2017 11:13 AM

————

Down 28-3 late in the 3rd the Patriots had “no chance in hell to win” either…. Yet they kept playing…..Cam didn’t. See the difference?

9. winningisabrees says: Jun 27, 2017 11:21 AM

Real talk, the clothes this clown wears, has me questioning his manhood. Its not a fashion statement at all, it looks like the dude went to my grandfathers closet and Goodwill and did a lot of dope prior to getting dressed.

10. bobthebillsfan says: Jun 27, 2017 11:43 AM

I would be fine with the clothes, the me first attitude, the dabbing, the pouting, what ever, if he had consistent results throughout his career that would make me say “so what?”. But that is not the case.

At this point in his career it would be best if he simply kept a low profile and produced consistently.

11. irsaysneedle says: Jun 27, 2017 11:46 AM

a little dab ‘ll do ya

fraud!

12. 12brichandfamous says: Jun 27, 2017 11:51 AM

I’m a runner and thin. I once started an 8 K race from last place and looked at the people I past as I ran by them. Most were out of overweight and out of shape and I had snarky thoughts about them. It was easy to make fun of them even though they were trying to improve themselves — shame on me. They were making the effort to improve.

I think the same about Cam. If he’s truly making an effort, then good for him. Its about being better in the future, rather than criticizing past mistakes. The past cannot be changed, move on haters.

13. charger383 says: Jun 27, 2017 12:04 PM

Don’t care for him or way he acts; but, he has not disrespected the USA

14. RockyMountainHigh says: Jun 27, 2017 12:29 PM

jgedgar70 says:
    Jun 27, 2017 11:13 AM

_________________________________________

No chance in hell? Down by 6 with over four minutes left 75 yards from the endzone is “no chance in hell”? Man, you must really hate your QB if that scenario isn’t a chance to win.

Face it, not diving for the ball in that situation laid bare the heart and love for the game Cam is lacking. I would bet everything I own that old man Peyton would have dove (awkwardly and terribly) for that ball with everything he had if the situation were reversed…

15. mikeinminny says: Jun 27, 2017 12:39 PM

I have been a big critic of his for a couple of years now, due to the lack of humility, perceived effort etc. If he is truly taking an introspective look at himself and trying to change…let me be the first to congratulate him and all Panther fans.

16. laserw says: Jun 27, 2017 12:54 PM

Pay no attention to what Cam Cheating says.

It is what he does that is horrific – twice cheating – having possession of stolen property – and watching a fumble like it is a spectator sport – pouting during press conferences.

His words aren’t half as fun as what he does.

17. screwmemean says: Jun 27, 2017 1:10 PM

All quotes by Camera were written by his agent.

18. turfdaddy says: Jun 27, 2017 1:10 PM

painsyndicate says:
    Jun 27, 2017 10:57 AM

Oh wait, you hesitated then too.

—————————————————————

Poor grammar is a GREAT way to criticize someone.

19. Indybear says: Jun 27, 2017 1:16 PM

Maybe the pansy should stop dancing……or dressing to bring attention to himself…….or, yes, jump on a friggin’ fumble.

All of these, and more, would be “better”. Good luck with that.

20. redlikethepig says: Jun 27, 2017 1:16 PM

A better dresser too.

21. redlikethepig says: Jun 27, 2017 1:18 PM

“Odell Beckham acts like a crazy man on the field, and he’s a fiery competitor and an elite player.”

Stop it. ODB takes more heat than Cam.

22. dtroxallday says: Jun 27, 2017 1:19 PM

@pantherfanforlife

Maybe if he wasn’t such an easily hate-able player, this wouldn’t happen to him. He’s an obnoxiously poor sport when he’s sucking and even worse when he’s winning. He’s all about Cam.

23. akira1971 says: Jun 27, 2017 1:21 PM

jgedgar70 says:

– “Newton does end zone dances and he’s immature” >> ACTION
    – “Newton runs up the middle to get a first down, and he’s a reckless idiot” >> ACTION
    – “Cam chooses not to pounce on a fumble in the last minutes of a Super Bowl” >> ACTION
    – “Newton dabs and dances and he’s a “me first” guy with no humility” >> ACTION

– “Newton does an interview where he is humble” >> WORDS
    ——————–

Please tell me you see the difference.

24. jackedupboonie says: Jun 27, 2017 1:48 PM

What do you expect Panther apologists…..this guy is a total jerk and when total jerks taunt and party on the field for simple first down runs…..they tend to piss off all other fan bases. Now you get him at his finest. Not winning, and really just a tight end at QB. Better start looking for your next so called franchise chucker.

25. bam5239 says: Jun 27, 2017 1:54 PM

RockyMountainHigh
    _______________________________________________

26. painsyndicate says: Jun 27, 2017 2:39 PM

12brichandfamous says:
    Jun 27, 2017 11:51 AM

“…Most were out of overweight…”
    —-
    Um, what?

27. jonwill57 says: Jun 27, 2017 2:51 PM

@ nhpats says:
    Jun 27, 2017 11:21 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I see a tremendous difference…an O-line that could sustain blocks for longer than 1.5 seconds; a defense that was able to stop the Falcons; a defense that could no longer catch it’s breath, tackle or defend passes; I also see a coach who knew what he was doing compared to a coach that had no idea once they fell behind. So yes, I see the difference.

28. curmudgeon13 says: Jun 27, 2017 3:08 PM

Actions talk, BS walks…

29. nhpats says: Jun 27, 2017 3:40 PM

jonwill57 says:
    Jun 27, 2017 2:51 PM
    @ nhpats says:
    Jun 27, 2017 11:21 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

————–

Those sound like excuses….. The difference is that Brady never gave up…..Cam did

30. datageek94 says: Jun 27, 2017 3:49 PM

Unlike many, I dislike end zone dances. Too self-centered, virtually to the point of gloating. So no, I don’t like Cam’s antics. And his clothing? Holy cow.

But the problem I have with Cam is too much running, without protecting himself. Use your pocket, throw away the ball when needed, slide headfirst. If you act like a running back, you’ll be hit like a running back. When you’re injured, you cannot help your team.

31. axelulen says: Jun 27, 2017 4:07 PM

Cam, STUDY Russell Wilson. He may be shorter but he acts on pressure, not react. Wilson is slippery, you CAN be too. Ask an Army or Marine Vet. to train you. We are sly, quiet M.F’s and feast on this aspect to serve us in life. Vets Rule!

32. datageek94 says: Jun 27, 2017 4:15 PM

What a typo – slide feet first, not head first. LOL

33. axelulen says: Jun 27, 2017 4:59 PM

Stealth, Cam, Stealth. Cat feet, relaxed toes and a diabolical mind. Confuse the hell out of your opponent…Ask a Soldier or a Marine.

“You’re best bet, Hire a Vet.”

34. breadmeatcheese says: Jun 27, 2017 5:06 PM

maybe we will get to see another nationally televised headphone commercial defending his teammates bigoted statements?

35. wrongnessmaximus says: Jun 27, 2017 5:27 PM

Maybe he should worry less about how he’ll celebrate if he gets in the end zone and a little more about how he’ll get his team a touchdown.

36. beauregard says: Jun 27, 2017 5:36 PM

bam5239 says:
    “So you’re saying that Mr. Self-Sack Manning would jump on a fumble? I kind of doubt it.”
    ________
    Comparing Mr. NFL MVP Superbowl winning Manning with Super Ego Crybaby shows your football knowledge.
    Can you see Manning pouting during a post Superbowl loss, then leaving mid-interview?
    I kind of doubt it.

37. pancaketaco says: Jun 27, 2017 5:55 PM

I’ll give him a pass on last season..Gettlemans stratagy of taking guys off the street to play O-Line and being a run 1st team with (1) NFL RB on the roster finally caught up with him and Cam paid the price. Not to mention the refs did not and have not thrown flags when Cam takes a hit (it’s fact…use your own google machine)

Enough with the excuses…his character and statements above will be judged not in June but during the season when things aren’t going his way…at this time we’ll see if he can suck it up and lead his team…this is something that he hasn’t proven in the past.

It’s a moot point if his mechanics are crap…

38. riekki says: Jun 27, 2017 7:01 PM

—————————————-
    The list of playmakers other than Cam Newton during his career with the Panthers consists of exactly ONE player.
    Hopefully, this year if the 2 new kids pan out we will win some games and Cam’s receivers won’t lead the league in dropped passes.

39. jump24man says: Jun 27, 2017 9:41 PM

Cam is an emotional player. He has fun when he wins and it crushes him when he loses. He did some stupid things when he was younger(ALL of us did). But he’s been great in the local community since day one. The most controversial thing he has been involved in since turning pro, was a car wreck that wasn’t his fault. So go ahead and keep the sports hate coming. Go ahead… Keep raggin on the dancing and fumble and the laptop and the Heisman and the National Championship and the rookie of the year and the rushing/passing and total touchdowns records and the league MVP, while he continues to focus on helping kids, raising his kids and helping his team win the big one. You bunch of lames.