Jim Kelly: Sean McDermott gives Bills discipline they haven’t had in a while

AP

Among the things that Sean McDermott did after being named the head coach of the Bills was remove a pool table and video games from the team’s locker room.

McDermott explained the move by saying “this is a business” and that having those diversions on hand weren’t going to help him build “a focused, disciplined and accountable football team.” Bills great Jim Kelly cited one of those traits as a reason why he’s excited about this year’s team.

“I’m excited about the 2017 Buffalo Bills. Coach McDermott brings discipline to the table that we haven’t had in a while,” Kelly said, via the team’s Twitter account.

It’s hard to read Kelly’s comment and not think about McDermott’s immediate predecessor. Disciplined wasn’t frequently used to describe Rex Ryan’s teams and it’s not surprising that a clear difference from Ryan’s style would be appealing given the way the last two years played out.

There was a time, of course, when Ryan’s style suited many people just fine. Kelly was one of them, which probably just serves to underscore that the Bills have tried a lot of different approaches since Kelly’s heyday without hitting on one that’s brought them much success.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Jim Kelly: Sean McDermott gives Bills discipline they haven’t had in a while”
  1. redlikethepig says: Jun 27, 2017 1:15 PM

Here we go again.

2. magnumpimustache says: Jun 27, 2017 1:18 PM

The Bills are a Pro NFL Team?

3. bosskingnation says: Jun 27, 2017 1:34 PM

This is great! Now the Swills can suck in a disciplined way.

4. happy1114 says: Jun 27, 2017 1:47 PM

Having a QB like Kelly solves a lot of discipline issues, til they get a QB they will struggle just like all the teams without one…..

5. rabidbillsfan says: Jun 27, 2017 1:52 PM

What the hell is a “swill”?

6. bobthebillsfan says: Jun 27, 2017 1:59 PM

Ah magnum, I recall the Patriots were 3-1 at one point last year. Who accounted for the loss? If I recall the exact numbers, the score was 16-0. Are you implying something less that a pro NFL team was able to shut out the Patriots?

7. abninf says: Jun 27, 2017 2:02 PM

You think he’ll get the jersey number of one of his players tattooed on his body for the rest of his life?

8. vavikingfan says: Jun 27, 2017 2:10 PM

He doesn’t go far enough….pull the carpeting and TVs out of the locker room, ban phones and cold water showers only…that’ll make them disciplined.

9. scrp2 says: Jun 27, 2017 3:03 PM

There’s nothing to do in Buffalo. How you gonna remove the pool table? How are you gonna attract free agents now? Hopefully they kept the moosehead on the wall.

10. magnumpimustache says: Jun 27, 2017 3:04 PM

__________________-

I apologize.

It’s been so long for the Patriots winning streak I actually forgot that I rooted for the Bills when I was young when the Patriots were out of contention.

Bills are still a dumpster fire…..But the pats were in the same spot 30 years ago.

Always enjoyed the K gun offense.

11. zeuslizard says: Jun 27, 2017 4:10 PM

magnumpimustache says:
    Jun 27, 2017 3:04 PM

__________________-

I apologize.

Always enjoyed the K gun offense.

Typical bandwagon jumping Pats fan…

12. statlaw says: Jun 27, 2017 4:36 PM

Jim Kelly was also really excited about Rex when he came on board too.

13. campcouch says: Jun 27, 2017 4:42 PM

Ah, here we go. Because everything else in the locker room won’t distract them. Better not start out 0 and whatever because youf business plan will be shot.

14. gah05 says: Jun 27, 2017 5:02 PM

Enough REX talk folks, we all know it was a mistake. Every team makes bad choices along the way!

Bills are onto better things, with some patience!

15. oscarxray says: Jun 27, 2017 7:53 PM

I like getting rid of the games, first the Jags with Coughlin and now the Bills. Conversely,the Browns’ HQ rivals Dave & Buster’s.