Latavius Murray: This is my time

Getty Images

The Vikings signed running back Latavius Murray as a free agent shortly after they released Adrian Peterson, but Murray’s time as the clear frontrunner to replace Peterson as the No. 1 back in Minnesota this season didn’t last long.

Some could point to Murray’s ankle surgery as a reason, but the arrival of rookie Dalvin Cook in the second round of the draft would have changed the equation even if Murray was 100 percent this offseason. The Vikings have enjoyed what they’ve seen from Cook thus far and Murray concedes that Cook has a leg up thanks to his time on the field this spring, but the veteran said on NFL Network Tuesday that he’s not conceding anything else.

“You’re looking at it from his aspect, ‘This older vet is coming off this injury, it’s time for him to step aside. I want this, and I should be the guy,'” Murray said. “I’m looking at it from my perspective, like, look, this is my time, this is my new opportunity and this is what I want. When it comes Game 1, I need to be back there in the “I” lining up.”

Murray added that competing with Cook won’t stop him from offering the rookie help should he need it this summer, but made it clear that he expects his work in camp and the preseason to earn him a place in the lineup for the first snap of the regular season.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Latavius Murray: This is my time”
  1. eazeback says: Jun 27, 2017 10:19 AM

buyer beware! I had him last yr and couldn’t rely on him @ all….smh

2. TheDPR says: Jun 27, 2017 10:25 AM

The Vikings need a passing game to open up the run a little. Their problem isn’t RB talent, I don’t think.

3. allight59 says: Jun 27, 2017 10:28 AM

Cook….Murray….McKinnon….an abundance of riches, glad we don’t have to get one of our WRs to be a RB.

4. New England>Your Team says: Jun 27, 2017 10:29 AM

LOL

5. ariani1985 says: Jun 27, 2017 10:37 AM

I could probably start at RB for the hapless packers with 2 weeks of practice.

6. Liberalsruineverything says: Jun 27, 2017 10:49 AM

Competition sounds good to me. Worked well for Atlanta having two quality RBs. Cook might be a rocket ready for ignition and run straight through league.

7. bighoser says: Jun 27, 2017 10:51 AM

Murray barely averaged 4ypc behind a much better line on the Raiders when his fellow backs (Richard and Washington) nearly gained 6ypc. Behind a MUCH worse and oft injured line in Minnesota, I bet he’s around 3.5 YPC. Prepare to be frustrated, Vikes fans, at watching a big, fast and powerful looking RB go down at first contact.

8. pkrlvr says: Jun 27, 2017 10:51 AM

Trolling the pack in our stories, trolling the pack in yours. Good work fellas.

9. joetoronto says: Jun 27, 2017 10:53 AM

Murray is a very talented RB, he just needs to apply himself more, he needs to want it more.

10. The Phantom Stranger says: Jun 27, 2017 10:57 AM

Cook has to be shown he can be trusted in a lot of different situations so that will give Murray his opportunity early in the season. He’ll always have a role but it will likely diminish as the season goes on. All of the running backs will get their touches.

11. araidersfan says: Jun 27, 2017 11:18 AM

Latavius Murray is a decent RB but nothing extra-special. Still, I think that keeping Murray or drafting a new RB in the mid-rounds would’ve been much better for the Raiders than acquiring Marshawn Lynch. Once they find out early in the season that Lynch has nothing left, the productive load will fall to Richard and Washington.

12. jermainewiggins says: Jun 27, 2017 11:24 AM

It’s going yo be interesting to see how the running game, and the entire offense for that matter, is going to pan out this year. Everything revolves around the O-line based on last years debacle.

13. purpleguy says: Jun 27, 2017 11:43 AM

I’m not sure how much “time” he’s going to get coming off his injury, with a shiny new 2nd round RB available, and a young serviceable RB that already knows the system. Then again, options aren’t a bad thing.

14. bobthebillsfan says: Jun 27, 2017 11:47 AM

^ Agree

15. joetoronto says: Jun 27, 2017 11:51 AM

araidersfan says:
    Jun 27, 2017 11:18 AM
    **************************************
    Yes, because you know Lynch has nothing left and the experts who are with him everyday don’t.

Wow. SMH.

16. James says: Jun 27, 2017 11:57 AM

araidersfan says:
    Jun 27, 2017 11:18 AM

_________________________________________

They did draft a new running back. It is a bonus that they have Lynch and Olawale for short yardage IF Lynch is not what he was. Basically a backfield with Lynch, Richard, Olawale, Washington and Hood is good enough to do at least as well as replacing one of those guys with Murray. He is average at best. He had explosive speed but could not get out in the open field to show it off. I like Murray but I do not feel like the offense is in a worse position without him.

17. tylawspick6 says: Jun 27, 2017 12:21 PM

I can see the Pats had no interest in this guy. The days of the ego and the bellcow RB are from over.

If you want to win a SB, don’t have a bellcow RB with a big ego.

Have a group of good RBs, with varying skill sets that you can plug and play.

18. 2ruefan says: Jun 27, 2017 12:43 PM

My bet is that he will end up being used more in the passing game because of having better blocking skills than Dalvin.

I suspect he will quickly be beat out by Cook due to the big play ability Cook brings.

19. ragnarthemagnificent says: Jun 27, 2017 1:24 PM

I think these guys will be a good combination together. Set up with a two tight end set, two RB’s and ground and pound to open up the long pass to Diggsy!