Report: No way Rams, Trumaine Johnson will reach long-term deal

Getty Images

Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson will apparently play for $16.7 million this season, then hit free agency next year.

The Rams and Johnson aren’t close on talks about a long-term deal and won’t get a deal done, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Johnson signed the franchise tender and said he’s happy in Los Angeles, so there’s no reason to believe the two sides being far apart is causing any animosity. It’s just a matter of Johnson thinking he can make more by hitting free agency next year than the Rams are offering him now.

This is the second consecutive year that Johnson got the franchise tag, meaning he’ll get true unrestricted free agency next year. Under NFL rules, franchising Johnson for a third time next year would require the Rams to guarantee him at least $24 million for the 2018 season, which would be prohibitively expensive. So Johnson is one season away from getting to shop his services to the entire league.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Los Angeles Rams, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Report: No way Rams, Trumaine Johnson will reach long-term deal”
  1. VondyP says: Jun 27, 2017 12:16 PM

gave all his money to that stud tavon austin

2. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: Jun 27, 2017 12:20 PM

So reporting the contrary would be Falsemaine then?

3. nookers says: Jun 27, 2017 12:32 PM

Tavon “100 lbs soaking wet” Austin

4. ramfanmatt says: Jun 27, 2017 12:47 PM

This is why the Rams perpetually suck. They let good players walk. They didn’t learn their lesson from Janoris Jenkins.

5. chc4 says: Jun 27, 2017 12:47 PM

This guy isn’t even that good.

6. JP says: Jun 27, 2017 12:57 PM

Rams seem to make the worst player decisions, and dont know how to keep a team together. There has been some serious talent come through that team in the last 5 years and they have nothing to show for it.

7. 6thsense10 says: Jun 27, 2017 1:03 PM

pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says:
    Jun 27, 2017 12:20 PM
    So reporting the contrary would be Falsemaine then?

——
    Well I’m sure their family would have preferred keeping their ancestral name but something happened between the 1600s and late 1800s that prevented that.

Can we please get off people’s names already. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the name Trumaine.

8. harrisonhits2 says: Jun 27, 2017 1:09 PM

If he’s really that good then he’ll make more money in FA and be playing for a better team.

9. scoreatwill says: Jun 27, 2017 1:18 PM

I don’t believe this is about money! I think it is about wanting to win and not playing for a morbid, losing franchise. He will probably go somewhere to win (like Jenkins) and get paid accordingly. Look at the other entities owned by Kroenke and you don’t see any hope of winning there, either.

10. Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Jun 27, 2017 1:55 PM

I’ve literally never seen him play. Is he any good? I never hear any “shutdown corner” buzz about him.

11. bam5239 says: Jun 27, 2017 1:58 PM

pftthoughtpolicemostwanted

_______

It’s actually an Old English name for Truman, but hey racism works too.

12. bobthebillsfan says: Jun 27, 2017 2:13 PM

I’d say he played his cards well. Makes $16.7 mill this year and tests free agency next year. With the Ram’s 4-12 record which was good for 5th worst he’ll probably go to a better team next year.

13. mogogo1 says: Jun 27, 2017 2:17 PM

“What’s up with the crazy names these parents give their kids nowadays? What’s wrong with ‘Steve’ or ‘Mike’? Oh wait, I know what it is…”
    ____________

“Nowadays” in this case meaning “in the last quarter century.” The guy is 27 and has had this name for his whole life–he’s not some infant in the nursery.

And why does it bother you what his name is? If his name was Steve that would impact whether the Rams should pay him more?

14. ramfanmatt says: Jun 27, 2017 2:35 PM

Trumaine Johnson is a very good CB. He isn’t Revis or Sherman, but he is a very good CB. Great size, ball skills, athleticism, and a good hitter. Very good player. Guess they tied all their money up on Austin.

15. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: Jun 27, 2017 3:31 PM

bam5239 says:
    Jun 27, 2017 1:58 PM
    pftthoughtpolicemostwanted

_______

It’s actually an Old English name for Truman, but hey racism works too.
    _______________________________________

Please take a second to explain why you think what I said is racist. But before you do, please look up the word ‘racism’ to make sure you have the definition correct. You guys are the ones injecting race into this. I’d rag on a white guy’s parents too if his name something stupid like Trumaine.

I am firmly of the opinion some of these guys have ridiculous names. If you disagree, so be it. Get over it and move on.

Also, I’d like to thank PFT for actually posing something of mine. The last time I tried to post something, it was to point out that the vast majority of the players in an NFL locker room are severely intolerant of gays but my post was deleted.

16. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: Jun 27, 2017 4:05 PM

Also want to point out, the reason why I appreciated Bob Sanders so much was because he rejected the ridiculous first name his parents first sentenced him with and went with Bob instead.

17. viffty says: Jun 27, 2017 4:11 PM

The Rams will always suck the suckiest of all the suckers. No matter, they can use the first pick next year to get another player that will suck with them too.

18. loc0brown says: Jun 28, 2017 6:56 AM

We should have kept Jack Rabbit. Why did we extend Tavon?

19. bnesheim says: Jun 28, 2017 4:08 PM

_______

It’s actually an Old English name for Truman, but hey racism works too.
    _______________________________________

______________________

If you know what is it and it’s not racism, what is it?