Chip Kelly: Titans wanted Marcus Mariota, not interested in trade

Getty Images

Chip Kelly disputes reports from 2015 that the Eagles offered the Titans a package of picks and players to trade up and select Marcus Mariota. Kelly, who coached Mariota at Oregon, said the Titans made it clear all along that they were holding on to the No. 2 choice.

That question didn’t come up very often,” Kelly told the Know Them From Adam podcast, via Matt Lombardo of NJ Advance Media. “With Tennessee, they weren’t moving off the pick. Rightly so. They were looking for the same thing we were, to get themselves a really top-quality quarterback. It really wasn’t like…. We didn’t really get into a conversation of what we can offer or what we can’t offer, because they made it known that they really weren’t looking to trade the pick.

“That’s all speculation that’s out there, you hear stories that ‘we offered this; we offered that.’ We didn’t offer anything because they weren’t taking any offers for it.”

The Titans ended up selecting Mariota, who has shown promise as a potential franchise quarterback. The Eagles traded Nick Foles to the Rams for Sam Bradford in March 2015, which didn’t work out for either Bradford or Kelly.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
10 Responses to “Chip Kelly: Titans wanted Marcus Mariota, not interested in trade”
  1. z0inks says: Jun 28, 2017 3:00 PM

100% of Titans fans approve this message.

2. cobrala2 says: Jun 28, 2017 3:00 PM

Whisenhunt said pre-Draft on NFLN that they wouldn’t move from #2. As much as I distrust Chip I believe him this time.

I don’t remember if that was before or after they peeped on Chip Kelly during Mariota’s QB drills at the Combine on Live TV… remember, he’s watching NFLN from a press box/suite and sees himself on Live TV?

3. alonestartexan says: Jun 28, 2017 3:16 PM

I don’t believe Kelly for a second.

The Titans probably did say they wouldn’t come off the pick and I’m sure Kelly said “not even for…..”

4. chipper41 says: Jun 28, 2017 4:24 PM

there was definitely something cooking with Philip Rivers for the #2 pick. He was in touch with a former teammate who now lives in Nashville about how much he liked the area.

5. rjth2012 says: Jun 28, 2017 4:26 PM

As a silent owner of The Titans we were NOT moving off this pick!
    This decision clearly increased my net worth again.

6. jimbobcooterqbtutor says: Jun 28, 2017 4:28 PM

How hasn’t it worked out for Sam Bradford? He signed a big contract and is firmly entrenched as the Vikings starter (I do not think highly of Bridgewater, even if he wasn’t hurt. Trust me, I’ve seen him play twice a year against the lowly Lions D and his offense doesn’t threaten at all – just safe passes, often which aren’t even completed. Some will say the same thing about Bradford, but he did lead the league in comp %).

7. binarymath says: Jun 28, 2017 4:30 PM

All boils down to this: at what point does an ‘inquiry’ become an ‘offer’?

GMs (at least the ones doing their job) are constantly inquiring about players or picks. Most of those discussions go nowhere.

My guess is that someone may have called and asked the Titans what it would take to get the #2 overall pick. And they may have answered something like “Your first round pick this year plus your first round pick in 4 of the next 5 years.”

I’d put that brief discussion in the ‘inquiry’ pile rather than the ‘offer’ pile.

After all is said and done, MUCH more is said than done.

8. lewsblues says: Jun 28, 2017 5:00 PM

Eagles are in good shape now with Carson Wentz … perhaps for the foreseeable future …

plus, they no longer have Chip!

9. bobbyhoying says: Jun 28, 2017 5:38 PM

I wonder how many coaches with Kelly’s three year record get fired? I wonder why Bill Belichick thinks Kelly is a smart guy? I wonder what motivation Kelly would have to lie about Mariota now? I wonder why Howie Roseman modeled Kelly in trading up to get Carson Wentz?

10. largejk says: Jun 30, 2017 12:23 PM

Oh Chip….just go away with your scammed millions!