Russell Wilson “an animal about” improving conditioning this offseason

AP

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s devotion to healthy eating habits have drawn a fair amount of attention in recent years, which likely helped his $200 nutritional guide sell out when it was released last year.

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson may not have bought one of those tomes, but he has spent this offseason working on improving his conditioning with the help of a new eating plan. Nutritionist Philip Goglia told Sheil Kapadia of ESPN.com that Wilson has been working with him since March and has been “an animal about” getting in better shape.

Goglia bumped up the number of calories that Wilson is eating each day from 2,700 to 4,800 because the metabolism of an athlete demands that “you have to eat a certain amount of calories to generate enough heat to burn fat.” Wilson eats throughout the day and recently weighed in at 214 pounds with 10 percent body fat after being 225 with 16 percent body fat when he started working with Goglia.

“Still doing it religiously,” Wilson said. “Just trying to really focus on trying to eat really, really well and have great nutrition. I think it’s critical. It allows you to wake up feeling good, feeling strong. It allows you to excel throughout the day and have tons of strength and energy. So I think it’s really important for me. And I love food. I’m from the South, Virginia. So for me, I have to be really conscientious of what I eat. And also, my dad had diabetes. So I try to really pay attention to what I eat and try to do a really good job of that.”

Last year’s injuries played a role in Wilson putting on weight and his ability to avoid more of the same this year will have something to do with how well the Seahawks are protecting him along the offensive line. If they can, Wilson will likely be starting his offseason conditioning from a better place in 2018.

36 responses to “Russell Wilson “an animal about” improving conditioning this offseason

1. Cool. The contrast is reading a story about Vince Young’s CFL tryout where they describe him eating a subway panini back as his room, surrounded by crackers, and peanut butter and jelly. No wonder he couldn’t make it.

2. Too bad he never hit that growth spurt, 214 pounds for a 5’11” guy is overweight.

3. Ah yes….the offseason. When everyone is in the best condition of their lives/careers. Especially those ones who didn’t play as good last year.

4. thecape15 says:
    Jun 29, 2017 12:46 PM
    Tom Brady has changed the way elite athletes prepare their bodies for football.
    ———————–
    It’s called…..the ‘chuck it quick’ workout.

5. Tom Brady has changed the way elite athletes prepare their bodies for football.

—————————————————-

I would give the credit to ongoing improvement in understanding sports nutrition and the nutrition field in general. Especially the researchers who take the applied knowledge and turn it into actionable items.

But yeah Tom Brady has his nutritionist put together a $200 cook book to job people out of their money, so he should get all the credit.

6. jackedupboonie says:
    Jun 29, 2017 1:03 PM
    thecape15 says:
    Jun 29, 2017 12:46 PM
    Tom Brady has changed the way elite athletes prepare their bodies for football.
    ———————–
    It’s called…..the ‘chuck it quick’ workout.

///////

And it’s produced 5 Superbowls!

7. superpatriotsfan says:
    Jun 29, 2017 12:47 PM
    “Who needs to diet when you can cheat to be elite?”

-Tom Brady

///////

“Who needs a job when I can live in my mom’s basement for free and troll utter nonsense?”

-superpatriotsfan

8. Tom Brady should be commended. His dietary regimen are peak for an athlete to get all out of what they put in.

But I think his weight training may need a little improvement, he has always looked a little under-pumped…..

… OH WAIT, THAT’S THE BALL.

be sure and tip the service.

9. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Jun 29, 2017 10:39 AM

Disagree, at 5’10” 50 yo (12 years ago) I was 215. Those of us who work out and stay fit understand that muscle weighs more than fat. That’s what’s confusing some folks.

10. minnesoulja says:
    Jun 29, 2017 1:28 PM

… OH WAIT, THAT’S THE BALL.

be sure and tip the service.

///////

Nice punch line — went over like a fart in church. Don’t quit your day job.

11. jman967 says:
    Jun 29, 2017 1:17 PM
    Tom Brady has changed the way elite athletes prepare their bodies for football.

—————————————————-

Was someone trying to force you or anyone to buy it?

But perhaps you can enlighten us as to which NFL QB at 40 is more fit and has been more successful?

IDK what your bathroom scale goes through but possibly you should give his cookbook a look?

12. Was someone trying to force you or anyone to buy it?

——————————————————-

I’m an exercise physiologist. My bathroom scale says the same it has when I graduated college with a Masters Degree 10 years ago. I’m doing just fine.

No one was forcing anyone to buy it. I just commented on the fact that credit is being heaped on Tom for something he really had no impact on. He’s had an incredibly successful career but he’s also parlayed that into a brand to capitalize financially on his success. The reality is he’s done nothing for sports nutrition, however it’s done wonders for him, both physically and financially.
    Even Kobe Bryant talked alot about how changing his diet partway through his career was tantamount to his longevity and being able to produce at a high level for so long. Tom wasn’t the first to do it, he wasn’t integral in figuring out how it can be done, he wasn’t anything other than another example of what we’ve been learning in the field for quite some time.

I’m also keenly aware that Tom Brady’s knowledge of sports nutrition is on the same level as everyone else’s who eats well and sees the effects on their body. However, slap TB12 on the cover of his knowledge and you can charge a mint.

13. The fact that he wound up 8 spots under Dak on the top 100 list should make the “animal” much more fierce. Give RW the Cowboys line and it would be impressive to watch.

14. Brady charged $200 for his wisdom because it keeps out the Dolphins fans who have to save that for bail bonds.

15. Watching Russell last season, I felt then that he was not in top shape… he looked heavier and less nimble than in the championship season. With the ensuing marriage and all the accolades, I thought he lost the edge that had made him so elusive

So I am very pleased to hear that he is coming back stronger. Seahawks can’t go all the way without Wilson

16. It’s called…..the ‘chuck it quick’ workout.

///////

And it’s produced 5 Superbowls!

3 4
    ————————-
    actually during the spygate era it took dink n dunk two yard tommy, chuck n duck quicky throws, to get into long fieldgoal range to get their first three asterisks…then as the cheating was exposed, they lost two in a row, ELI OWNS BRADY IN THE SB, and they last two wins were gifts due to bad offensive calls by their opponents….

17. ” Eli ownsTom”??? No, a lucky catch, a non call when Eli was in the grasp & a dropped TD are how Eli owns Tom. Besides I’d rather have 5 Super Bowl wins than 2 anyday, as would most rational fans.

18. Lemmy Aksyadis says:
    Jun 29, 2017 1:37 PM

patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Jun 29, 2017 10:39 AM

———-

A pound of muscles and a pound of fat weigh exactly the same.

19. By the way, y’all, don’t bother with Brady’s $200 book – I picked up a complimentary copy of the Roethlisberger nutrion guide in McD’s. They were on all the tables and handily double as placemats too!

20. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Jun 29, 2017 4:55 PM
    Lemmy Aksyadis says:
    Jun 29, 2017 1:37 PM

patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Jun 29, 2017 10:39 AM

———-

A pound of muscles and a pound of fat weigh exactly the same.
    ———
    But Google the quantity of those 2 bud, 1 lb fat is double the size of the same 1 lb of muscle. Maybe too much involved for you here? It’s okay

21. ftomasic1961 says:
    Jun 29, 2017 3:16 PM
    …dink n dunk two yard tommy…
    —————
    I don’t know why Brady-haters keep pushing that lie, a simple check of YPAs shows he’s on 7.49 – that’s right in between for example good old Montana (7.52) and current Matt Ryan (7.44). What does that make Ryan in your book – less than 2yds per throw?

22. A guy who is 5 ft 9 and weighs as much as Wilson currently weighs is not going to be as elusive as he once was. He is going to go downhill from this season forward. He will end up like Jay Cutler in a few years.