Eagles waive Dorial Green-Beckham

Getty Images

Heading into a long weekend that will end with our annual celebration of the United States gaining its independence from the United Kingdom, wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham has been granted his independence from the Eagles.

The team announced on Friday that Green-Beckham has been placed on waivers. Quarterback Dane Evans was signed in a corresponding roster move.

Green-Beckham was drafted by the Titans in the second round of the 2015 draft and traded to the Eagles for offensive lineman Dennis Kelly last August. He caught 36 passes for 392 yards and two touchdowns in 15 appearances for Philly, but dropped down the depth chart with the arrival of free agents Torrey Smith and Alshon Jeffery this offseason.

Green-Beckham will be available to the rest of the league as a waiver claim, but having two teams move on from him in his first two seasons despite being a second-round pick isn’t a great sign for the wideout’s long-term prospects in the NFL.

Evans threw for 3,348 yards and 32 touchdowns at the University of Tulsa last year. He joins Carson Wentz, Nick Foles and Matt McGloin on the quarterback depth chart.

61 responses to “Eagles waive Dorial Green-Beckham

1. Wow! Two teams have bailed on this guy already? I’m guessing DGB has some issues we aren’t yet aware of.

2. One of those guys who according to his high school and college coaches, has all the tools but no desire to up his game. Seeing this guy get jammed at the line by 185-lb. corners playing press-man was the most aggravating thing to witness as a fan.

Next man up. Go Birds.

3. 80sbroncofan says:
    Jun 30, 2017 11:23 AM
    Million dollar talent, ten cent brain.

That is probably a bit generous.

4. Character, as it applies to investing in football players, is difficult to evaluate. More difficult for some, than it is for others. It’s like any other skill set.

5. Somebody will kick the tires. 6 foot 5 and ran if I remember correctly a sub 4.5 forty? Those physical traits will get you a few second chances. Sometimes these guys need a few years and a few teams to mature.

6. There’s no place in the NFL for sloppy routes, bad practice habits, and lack of effort on any given play. This guy plays smaller and slower than his combine measurements solely because he has no desire. He’ll get another chance somewhere, but based on his comments this summer, he doesn’t seem to think it’s his fault that he’s underperforming.

7. Why do men have hyphenated last names?
    _______

Because his mother didn’t want to give up her name when she got married and wanted her kid to have her name too, so he was forced to have a hyphenated name. Now what happens when Dorial Green-Beckham has a kid with Julia Louis-Dreyfuss? This is going to get out of hand quickly.

8. I would like to see my Chiefs bring him back to Missouri. Reid has as good of a chance as anybody (outside of BB) to get something out of him. We need help at WR right now badly.

9. bigugly2005 says:
    Jun 30, 2017 11:47 AM

In the immortal words of our HORRIBLE president … SAD
    =================================
    I’ll bey you voted for Clinton, Obama and Hillary. Right.

10. Wow this makes Titans GM Jon Robinson look good once again. I wasn’t a fan of him getting rid of DGB so early in his career, but he was right. And that WR group has gotten so much better since then.

11. Being big and fast alone doesn’t make you a good receiver. Hoping that a receiver who was a terrible route runner in college will somehow just figure it out against far better competition is foolish.

12. Just guessing, but here’s your looming suspension announcement. The NFL will likely announce some drug related suspension on him this afternoon.

13. I’m an Eagles fan…I fear BB will do for him what he did for Brandon LaFell who was not real good in Carolina but looked a like a pro in NE and now has guaranteed contract in Cincinnati.

14. bigugly2005 says:
    Jun 30, 2017 11:47 AM
    In the immortal words of our HORRIBLE president … SAD

I think I heard Obama use that word a few times. must be talking about him. Huh, bigugly2005

15. Can someone tell me how Tuesday night is apart of a long weekend? At what point is there a weekday….is Wednesday a holiday too…so it’s a 6 day weekend, then another weekend without a middle.

16. In the immortal words of our HORRIBLE president … SAD
    =================================
    I’ll bey you voted for Clinton, Obama and Hillary. Right.
    =================================
    I couldn’t vote for Hillary either. Both seem corrupt to me. One is an over the top perpetual liar – lies that are insulting to the intelligence of most of us that are well informed and smart. The other I guess would at least know what she is doing. Just a bad time for the United States. Hopefully we get some unifying candidates in the coming elections instead of those that divide.

17. In the immortal words of our HORRIBLE president … SAD
    =================================
    I’ll bey you voted for Clinton, Obama and Hillary. Right.
    =================================

18. He needs to go to a place with veteran leaders who will demand he puts in the hours or else he gets cut. I can see a team like the Patriots signing him as a low-risk high-reward gamble, and maybe put him on the field for some jump-ball situations. I wouldn’t even mind the Texans signing him and seeing if he gels with our other young receivers like Fuller and Hopkins, but realistically he’s the type of guy we have avoided in the past.

19. Why do men have hyphenated last names?
    _______

————————

Actually the real story is pretty nice. His last name was just Green. But he had a pretty rough childhood & he & one of his siblings were eventually adopted by his foster parents, the Beckhams. He took the last name to honor them, as did his brother Darnell Green-Beckham.

20. ivydude81 says:
    Jun 30, 2017 11:33 AM
    This guy was a stud in college but couldn’t keep it together off the field.

__________________________

Stud in college!?

He had 1278 yards in two years at Missouri transferred to Oklahoma and never played a down.

21. As a Titans fan, trust me, our emerging GM has been purging “receivers with potential” for a reason. You do not want your team coming anywhere near DGB, Justin Hunter, or sadly, even Kendall Wright.

22. Yea those Titan WRs looked awesome last year let me tell you. And I mean they drafted WRs at #5 overall and a 3rd round pick who have never played a down but I am just going to act like they’re proven. Oh and they signed a pretty good WR who has a ton of injury issues and is getting up there in age. Yea I understand why we are acting like its proven the Titans WRs are just good now. No I don’t.

Rishard Matthews is pretty good, Taj Sharpe didn’t look great his rookie year. Anything else you’re just making up. Sorry

23. I’d rather have a player with a hyphenated last name over a guy that has to advertise his generational suffix on his jersey any day…100 players with “Sr.” on their jersey is getting ridiculous

Getting back to the story, with that size, I can name at least eight teams with a bunch of mini-me receivers that should kick the tires on this guy.

24. “I’m guessing DGB has some issues we aren’t yet aware of.”

Uh, no, not really, we are quite aware of his mediocrity.

25. @thefootballgodssay says:
    Jun 30, 2017 12:59 PM

Remember when Philadelphia fans going crazy when they signed this bum lol eagles suck
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Well no, no I don’t remember that all. If anything, given the sorry slate of receivers at the time, Philly was hoping he could at least run routes, get open and catch. He failed miserably on all 3 phases.

26. @QB Film Room says:
    Jun 30, 2017 1:58 PM

Dane Evans the next Drew Brees, I can almost guarantee Philly does not try to sneak him onto Practice Squad come Early September…
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    “Almost guarantee” is no guarantee. If this kid is so good, how is he wasn’t signed right after draft as a UDFA? In fact it took 2 months to sign him? Why is that? Please explain…

27. Terrible hands, horrible route runner.

Believe me, with his size, I would love to have seen him blossom in Philly. But it seems like he plays when he chooses. Getting jammed at the line by a CB that you have 40lbs on is embarrassing…

28. If he ends up on the Chiefs, my madden franchise prophecy is becoming true. He’ll be a star, then just need Alex Smith to take them to two superbowl and then upruptly retire, McCoy join the chiefs to end his career with Red, then Kaepernick to three more superbowls, losing the last then retiring.

I mean it’s 100% possible, just don’t ask me to bet on it.

29. pooflingingmonkey says:
    Jun 30, 2017 11:26 AM

===========================
    Why is that? We know his attitude is crap and his work ethic is worse. Why do people always have to believe that great talent must have some type mental illness if hes not what we think he should be? Maybe hes just lazy and doesn’t really care about football.

30. Green Bay should sign him. He might actually be tall enough to get his hands on those inaccurate rib breakers Rodgers is known to throw.

31. Stone hands Nelson Agohlar didn’t get cut you DBG did? Must not be talent related.

32. whatjusthapped says:
    Jun 30, 2017 12:00 PM
    He’s got raw speed, that’s more than you can say about the Vikings 1st round bust, Treadslow.

————————————————–

A post about a guy who never played for the Vikings, probably never even set foot in Minnesota…and this is the comment you go with? Being infatuated with another team and stalking them on PFT is no way to go through life, son…

33. pooflingingmonkey says:
    Jun 30, 2017 11:26 AM
    ============================================

Maybe YOU’RE not aware of his issues but he was suspended/ kicked out of Oklahoma before even playing a down after transferring from Mizzou. The Titans gave up on him. You bet he has issues. He’s a druggie and lazy as heck.

34. Dgb was deadly on short intermediate routes. Where he could use his size n speed. He constantly picked up first downs on 3rd or 4th and 5 on slants. He has horrible hands and maybe the worst body control ive ever seen. If the ball wasn’t thrown perfectly he wasny making the catch. There were probably 2 dozen or more 20+ yard passes down field that he didn’t convert, where if he was just blow average in body control he would have made the catch. Its why he was so bad at fades and streak routes. You need to be able to adjust your position. He couldnt. His inability to do so probably cost him and Wentz 500 yards and at least 3-4 td.

Its the main reason im so confident in Alshons and Torreys ability to change Philadelphia into a top 15 offense. There were dozens of plays left on the field last year bc of the Eagles wrs inability to help there QB. Wentz had to be perfect. Making good throws wasnt enough last year, but this year that should more than likely not be the case.

35. 80sbroncofan says:
    Jun 30, 2017 11:23 AM
    Million dollar talent, ten cent brain.

That is probably a bit generous.

————————————————

It was adjusted for inflation

36. In the immortal words of our HORRIBLE president … SAD
    =================================
    I’ll bey you voted for Clinton, Obama and Hillary. Right.
    =================================
    ——————————————————————-

Can we stick to football?

btw, nice punctuation bigugly2005. Makes sense you voted for the walking circus peanut.

37. LOL. Another chance? Not if you saw him last year. Total bust. No effoet, dropped balls, bad routes. Agholor was smoking him in practice this spring. That tells you all you need to know.

38. Maybe the chiefs could sign him. Andy Reid seems to do well with players of all different types. I remember seeing him in high school in southern missouri. Looked like a giant out there didn’t have to try. In college he never played up to his ability. Talented, but was dare I say it a wimp. then off the field problems, yadda yadda.

Would love to see him reach his true potential some day it’s not too late