Former NFL tight end Mitchell Henry dies after leukemia battle

Former NFL tight end Mitchell Henry died Friday, after a seven-month battle with leukemia.

According to the Elizabethtown News Enterprise, Henry passed away early this morning, surrounded by family and friends.

Henry played two games in 2015 with the Broncos, and also spent time with the Packers and Ravens last season. After the Ravens released him in November, he went to a doctor in Kentucky for a shoulder issue, when he was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia.

“We are so proud of Mitchell’s fight with this terrible disease , proud of how he lived his life for the past 24 years, but most of all proud of his faith and acceptance of Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior,” the family said in a social media post.

“We love and appreciate each and everyone’s support for Mitchell and all of his extended family over the last 7 months.”

Our condolences go out to his family and friends.

Photo credit: Packers.com

47 responses to “Former NFL tight end Mitchell Henry dies after leukemia battle

1. I’m sorry; this is obviously very sad and I feel for his friends and family, but it’s really disturbing to me that in his 24 years of life – while working hard and pursuing his dreams – the thing his family is MOST proud of is “his faith and acceptance of Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior”.

That might be the saddest part. Sorry Mitchell. Any values you may have possessed – morality, integrity, courage, etc. all pale in comparison to your religious preference. Very sad.

2. @rhunzinger

I think you will find that the morality, integrity, etc you mentioned are tied in very closely with ones religion if they are often tied part and parcel with their faith.

As long as he was living his life and not harming anyone because of his beliefs, why are people so concerned because someone has faith?

3. @rhunzinger – You really are the lowest form of cretin. Criticizing Mitchell’s and his family’s faith? Go soak your head under water, for a very long time.

4. i thumbs down your comment says:
    Jun 30, 2017 3:09 PM
    @rhunzinger I’m not sure I get what you’re saying here…

Faith isn’t really something you bash someone on

*************************************************************************

I didn’t see it as bashing the guy’s faith. It’s a commentary on the family’s quote. Two different things.

Regardless, RIP and condolences to his family. 24 is far too young.

5. rhunzinger says:
    Jun 30, 2017 2:57 PM
    I’m sorry; …the thing his family is MOST proud of is “his faith and acceptance of Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior”.

——————————————————-

What’s even sadder, is you, rhunzinger.
    If people want to believe in Jesus, that’s their choice.

FYI……Jesus wants you.

6. i thumbs down your comment says:
    Jun 30, 2017 3:09 PM
    @rhunzinger I’m not sure I get what you’re saying here…

** Faith isn’t really something you bash someone on **

Why Not?! It’s 2017, this silliness is hard to watch. Giving credit to some *loving* invisible entity that strips you of your kid when he seemingly does everything right is sad and twisted. There, in plain English.

7. Ugh. Just read this on MSN. It’s so frustrating that with the millions spent every year on research that we can’t eradicate this wretched affliction.

Rest in peace, brother and prayers for your family.

8. @rhunzinger it’s sad that so many atheists fail to realize that their perspective is every bit as absolute as the most fervent evangelical. Even sadder that you believe this is an appropriate time to disparage a young man’s beliefs.

9. i thumbs down your comment says:
    Jun 30, 2017 3:09 PM
    @rhunzinger I’m not sure I get what you’re saying here…

Faith isn’t really something you bash someone on

______________________________________

Not trying to bash anyone’s faith. Faith is a fine virtue and something to be commended, but it is not earned through any effort or arrived at through any intellectual rigor. This young man’s own family is essentially “bashing” all of his other characteristics and achievements by declaring them to be inferior to his faith in this one particular doctrine.

Faith is fine. Reading about this young man’s family dismissing his life and struggle as insignificant compared to his faith made me uncomfortable. This is really a terrible place for this kind of conversation, but that quote “triggered” me I guess.

I am sorry to detract from this very serious subject and I want to offer nothing but respect and condolences to anyone affected.

10. rhunzinger says:
    Jun 30, 2017 2:57 PM

——-

Actually, now that you mention it… He was 24 and he passed away 7 months after his diagnosis. That seems very quick for a man who was professional athlete healthy a year ago, but I admit I’m no medical expert.

I hate to say this but I do wonder… Did he actively seek modern cancer treatments or did he and his family try to “pray the illness away”? Sounds crazy but years ago, I remember reading a story about a young diabetic boy who died because his family refused to give him his insulin shots. They instead put all of their faith in prayer to cure him of his disease. Sadly, it didn’t work. That’s just one example, there are plenty others.

Based on his family’s comments, I can’t help but wonder what he did to try and recover from the cancer. I see nothing about his treatment plans or initial prognosis. Was it deemed terminal as soon as he was diagnosed?

I’m sure I’ll get blasted for this and I’m not trying to stir anything up, I’m legitimately curious about Mitchell’s story.

11. @ahs2: Not letting you off so easy, sorry.

You suffer from the same affliction as does @rhunzinger. A serious case of the ‘ants:
    Arrogant
    Ignorant
    Insignificant

Now…that’s plain english. You have a problem with the parent’s framing their dead son’s life in the image of his Maker, find a different time and place to ply your trade.

12. cardinealsfan20 says:
    Jun 30, 2017 4:19 PM

——-

Nice. Real nice, buddy. Someone doesn’t criticize, but rather questions the level of Mitchell’s family’s faith, and you immediately overreact and resort to name-calling and wish pain (possibly death) on him. Who’s the real “lowest form of cretin” here?

13. As an atheist I can’t stand evangelical atheists. Not the time or the forum. Let people mourn this poor kid in thier own way.

14. rhunzinger says:
    Jun 30, 2017 2:57 PM

________________________________________

Wow. I didn’t think the comments in here could go any lower than they do at times, but this one takes the cake.
    His family is rejoicing the fact that he believed that Jesus was the Son of God and died for all our sins. And they are obviously taking comfort in Jesus’s words that Mitchell will find his place in Heaven because of his strong faith.
    Obviously, you are a non believer and that’s okay. But for you to slam Mitchell Henry’s family for their beliefs is beyond cruel.
    I am not going to criticize you because I feel sorry for you. You are so full of yourself that you have no room for anyone who sees things differently than you do — even if they are good people.
    I am very sorry for this young man’s family. He was a fine young man and his life was taken way too soon. But I am confident they will get through this because of their strong religious beliefs. Faith is a great thing when you face life’s tragedies. It has helped countless numbers of people and will continue to help countless others.
    My dad was a soldier during WWII and a Pearl Harbor survivor. He very seldom talked about his experiences in the war, but I remember once he said that he knew a lot of guys in the army who didn’t care about religion — until the bullets were flying overhead. That says it all, to me.

15. Rip dude.

I often see people who suffer great loss become religious very quickly. I guess it helps them cope. It’s nonsense of course but if it helps them, more power to them.

16. pkrlvr says:

===================================

Wait until you see your end approaching. Chances are you’ll be singing a different tune.

17. abninf says:
    Jun 30, 2017 6:46 PM
    pkrlvr says:

===================================

—–

Of course he will. We all will if we have the time as we approach the end. It’s human nature, one last desperate cling to hope that there’s life after death. Does that make it reality? No. Is is it reality? Who knows. Is it a possibility? Absolutely.

But the fact that we’ll all be singing the same tune if we have a somewhat prolonged end doesn’t prove anything.

18. Blind faith sustains many people. Leave them alone. At least he wasn’t a Pastafarian wearing a spaghetti colander on his head (real.)

19. I’m a little surprised the Packer-trolling Viking stalker-haters haven’t attributed this young man’s demise to his time spent in Green Bay.

It’s what they usually do.

20. pkrlvr says:
    Jun 30, 2017 6:32 PM
    Rip dude.

——————————————————————-

How do you know it’s nonsense? Because you say so? I shake my head at people like you. No one has the answers — including you — but many people have faith. And there’s nothing wrong with faith.
    I’ll tell you this — 38 years ago this past week I saw my son born. It is the single greatest event I have ever witnessed in my life and I never felt closer to God. You can believe that it all stems from some galactic incident if you wish, but I will never believe that in a million years. It’s too wondrous and too precise to be a byproduct of some catastrophic event, to me.
    The human body is the most perfect thing on this planet — and this much I know — it wasn’t created by man.

21. yankees2009 says:
    Jun 30, 2017 5:24 PM
    cardinealsfan20 says:
    Jun 30, 2017 4:19 PM

——-

_______________________________________

rhunzinger is. For him to say what he said proves it.

22. ahs2 says:
    Jun 30, 2017 4:38 PM
    i thumbs down your comment says:
    Jun 30, 2017 3:09 PM
    @rhunzinger I’m not sure I get what you’re saying here…

** Faith isn’t really something you bash someone on **

———————————————————————-

If you knew anything about religion, you’d know that “some *loving* invisible entity” doesn’t strip you of your kid.
    God gave us life here on earth with a promise of eternal salvation if we lived our lives here on earth the way He directed us to do. You can belief that if you wish, or not believe it. But to call it “silliness” is very arrogant of you.

23. I remember taking my kids to a GB training camp practice his rookie year and telling my son Henry “I hope he makes the team because I’m getting you a jersey”. Little did I know, after just successfully battling a different form of leukemia myself , this young, apparently healthy man had to endure this kind of an end.

It’s difficult to understand what a cancer diagnosis does to an individual and their family and friends, unless you’ve been there. Some types provide more hope than others. I feel fortunate but nonetheless, and I don’t mean to preach, until you’ve walked in someone’s shoes who has received this kind of diagnosis, you can only be supportive and encouraging. Anything that keeps the patient hopeful and optimistic is a good thing, whether faith-based or otherwise. Personally, I wish this young man’s family swift closure and lifelong memories.

24. I remember taking my kids to a GB training camp practice his rookie year and telling my son Henry “I hope he makes the team because I’m getting you a jersey”. Little did I know, after just successfully battling a different form of leukemia myself , this young, apparently healthy man had to endure this kind of an end.

——-

Fantastic post. And congratulations on beating that atrocious disease. Definitely the most eloquent, thoughtful post I’ve ever seen on this site. Much respect, sir. Best wishes for a continued long and healthy life.

25. Wow, that’s terrible. It’s scary how fast a person’s life can change. My condolences and rest in peace.

26. Such a tragedy for this young man and his family. Everybody deals with loss in their own way, but to lose a child/family member so fast and to this horrible disease is unbelieveably sad when we have the science and technology to erradicate diseases and save others from the pain and suffering of such loss. This is the kind of pain that is life changing for family and loved ones and I can only hope that his family is able to move through their loss eventually and celebrate the life of this young man and the fact that he was able to attain part of a life’s dream in the short time he was with us.
    Condolences

27. @ rhunzinger says:
    Jun 30, 2017 2:57 PM
    ” the thing his family is MOST proud of is “his faith and acceptance of Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior”.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I kinda get a drift of what you meant, but this wasn't the thread to let everyone know your opinion. That was something better left unsaid rhunzinger.

My condolences to the family and friends.

28. Where were all my fellow self-righteous BS Packers fans when our own fans were demeaning the lives and families of dead victims of bridge and construction accidents?

We Packers fans are the best – hypocrites and phonies.