Tom Brady doesn’t dispute Gisele’s concussion claim

Getty Images

It came nearly two months after the fact, but Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has finally addressed the contention from his wife, Gisele Bundchen, that Brady suffered a concussion in 2016, and others before that.

Most significantly, Mr. Brady did not say that Mrs. Brady was misinformed.

“She’s there every day,” Brady said in an interview on ESPN’s E:60. “I mean, we go to bed, you know, in the same bed every night. So I think she’s, you know, she knows when I’m sore. She knows when I’m tired. She knows, you know, when I get hit. I mean, we drive home together. But she also knows how well, you know, I take care of myself. She’s a very concerned wife and very loving.”

In other words, if she says Brady had a concussion, he had a concussion.

Curiously, Brady wasn’t asked that specific question: Have you had concussions that weren’t disclosed to the team? Instead, the question seemed to regard concussions as a given.

And if the question and answer fairly imply that, yes, he has had concussions, this raises plenty of questions about how he got those concussions and when he got those concussions and when he realized he had those concussions and who he told about those concussions.

Previously, Brady’s agent, Don Yee, had said only that Brady wasn’t diagnosed with a concussion in 2016. Which was stupidly obvious, but nevertheless effective; plenty of obviously stupid media members twisted the quote into a contention that Brady did not have a concussion.

Even without the direct “did you conceal one or more concussions” question, the comments from Brady are significant. Amazingly, however, the snippet from Brady’s interview hasn’t become a headline on ESPN.com’s primary page or at its NFL page. There’s also no hint of it on the page at ESPN.com devoted to the Patriots or at ESPNBoston.com.

So how is that not being treated as a much bigger deal by the network that finally got him to address such a sticky topic on the record? I’m tempted to accuse ESPN of deliberately burying it, but the easiest way to bury it would have been to drop it from the interview. (Then again, maybe using it but not drawing attention to it was the final compromise.)

Regardless of whether ESPN chooses to showcase the words, Brady said them. And the words became public at a time — the Sunday of a July 4 weekend that for many has become a four-day weekend — when few are consuming sports content and even fewer are producing it.

So where does it go from here? No one really knows. The issue of players potentially concealing a concussion seems to be far too significant to ignore, but the fact that Brady has played through multiple concussions during his career apparently will continue to be ignored, by the league, his team, and pretty much everyone — except by his spouse.

86 responses to “Tom Brady doesn’t dispute Gisele’s concussion claim

1. The only thing “significant” in the comments is its clear he doesn’t want to piss his wife off by refuting her.

2. Brady needs to stop wearing that 1990s Riddell helmet. He takes care of his body to such a meticulous degree that its stupid he wears such an outdated piece of equipment for his head.

During the 2002 training camp he switched to a new helmet but reverted before the season. For a handful of games in 2011 he wore a newer helmet as well. He needs to ditch the old concussion cap and get with a better piece of equipment to keep his brain functional.

3. “Regardless of whether ESPN chooses to showcase the words, Brady said them.”

Said what exactly? I don’t see him saying he had a concussion and/or failed to report it anywhere in that quote. All I see are the words of a wise husband carefully treading the don’t PO the wife line. Maybe what he said isn’t being made into a big fat hairy deal because he didn’t really say anything

4. so he had a concussion, it wasnt so bad he couldnt play it off, and he did what all the former greats of the NFL did. He internalized it witout flinching, went onto the next play, manned up, and won the day. Im grateful we have a true man as our QB. I bet I speak for a lot of other competitive men when I say I would do the same thing if I could. Further proof (none was needed) that he is the greatest QB of all time.

5. Brady has a history of hiding concussions.

Week 4 at the Redskins in 2003 he forgot the offensive call for a play to the right and then forgot about the conversation while leaving the field. Also the last time they lost for a calendar year. Source: a radio interview at WEEI with Christian Fauria in 2014 before he landed the 10-2 gig at the station.

Week 6 vs the Titans in 2009 when he had the record setting first half, he fell victim to a helmet-to-helmet hit which resulted in an unnecessary roughness call. Likely a concussion then too.

6. So the Patriots injury report might have been less than truthful. I am SHOCKED! Shocked, I tell you.

7. Everyone stop the presses, STOP THE PRESSES DAMMIT! BSPN, the BASTION of integrity when it comes to the Patriots has decreed that Brady did indeed suffer concussions. Their evidence? A damning interview in which Brady says pretty much nothing either way and…. um… wait that was it? Well I mean um… DEFLATEGATE!

8. GOAT.

Does that still make you mad Patriot Hater? 🙂

Yeah. U mad. Tee hee 🙂

9. Is there an NFL player that hasn’t had a concussion? Probably not. And most have not been reported to the league.
    Heck, I’ve seen two games, one against Baltimore, and the Dolphins against the Steelers in the playoffs where EVERYONE knew the QB’s were concussed, and allowed to continue in the game.
    The only reason the NFL even cares is because they are getting sued, and they need that plausible deniability.

10. If you go with the same vigor that you have with other “preordained vitriols” maybe this one will make as many waves.
    No dog in the fight but looking for even thought, which goes against NFL and PFT guidelines.

11. He’s better with his bell rung than any other QB in history on their best day.

You’re trying way too hard to make something out of nothing on this Florio. Let’s get back to E-Lie getting caught red-handed defrauding his fans. Can’t get enough of that.

12. It’s not that people aren’t paying attention to sports. It’s that it’s 24-7 coverage of the NBA free agent season. This is a very busy time of year, holiday or not. It’s just the only time of year when the NFL’s star fades at all.

But a statement like this is MORE likely to get headlines when there’s nothing else going on.

13. Tom,

Football is a dangerous game at your level.
    You are a great player and have a fantastic family and plenty of money. At some point more wins against your long term health are a poor trade-off. I’m a Bears fan and my only concern is that you live to be 90 or more, can enjoy the fruits of your success, and do it in great health.

14. So now we have “concussion-gate”? I wonder how many other Patriots concussions were covered up? That was a way to cheat I had not thought of. My hat off to them. I wonder what else will spill out? The field wan’t 100 yards?

15. Gee, I cant imagine why a guy would not publicly embarass his wife by contradicting her to the media. Its a real head scratcher. And I was still trying to figure out why a guy if he replaces his phone would ever want to destroy the old one when obviously TMZ needs it. Now I have two things I cant figure out.

16. Cripes Florio, how can you not recognize devoted husband speak when you hear it? I thought you were happily married. Are you really the only guy that’s been married for more than a couple of years that’s never had to employ it?

17. It’s simple. Even if Brady or anyone else had concussions they are under no obligation to tell anyone anything. It’s their brain.

The conspiracy theory that the team knew and didn’t act has no basis in fact as all protocols were followed as confirmed by the league. The team wouldn’t be very bright to do anything else either as getting Brady off the field for the protocol would give playing time for the next QB that will be winning a bunch of rings in NE named Jimmy Garoppolo.

🙂

18. Ibillwit. You are crazy. Not even the best qb of his generation, much less all of NFL history. Take the top QBs since he has been playing and they would all have more Super Bowls than Tom Shady! Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck? Heck, Matt Cassell was able to take that team to an 11-5 record. How did he do anywhere else?

19. When he wins his sixth championship ring, the haters will say he cheated because he had concussions.

20. This sounds more like someone not wanting to piss off his wife than an admission of hiding concussions. He probably did have a concussion last year, but if the NFL isn’t going to do anything serious to the Colts for hiding Luck’s rib injury then they can’t do anything here.

21. shwtyme34.

No, he is in fact the best QB of his generation. Arguably the greatest QB of all time (Montana or Brady). I’m sorry to call you out. I’m not necessarily a Pats fan, but anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows that.

Your arguments make you look like an idiot.

22. Looking at this another way, there is no NFL news over a long Fourth of July weekend and this involves Tom Brady, so it counts as news. The Sammy Watkins “need to get paid” story isn’t quite big enough.

23. showtyme34 says:
    Jul 2, 2017 9:28 PM
    _______________

But if he played for your team he would be the greatest player to ever take the field. The lame Matt Cassell comment and transparent trolling is stupid enough but putting Luck on your list rather than Brees, Ryan, Roethlisberger or even Carr or Wilson takes it straight to moron territory.

24. Meanwhile, Roethlisberger will tell everyone he did have a concussion, when he didn’t.

25. patriotsdefense says:
    Jul 2, 2017 8:55 PM

Brady has a history of hiding concussions.

————————–

A couple of maybes? That’s quite a history you’ve put together there. The league office could use someone with your gift of hyperbole.

26. iowahbr says:
    Jul 2, 2017 9:19 PM

Tom,

Football is a dangerous game at your level.
    ____________________________
    Yep, you said the same about Romo and Aikman, soon, you will say it about Big Ben. Competitors never stop, whether it is business or athletics. Try playing Polo or racing moto-cross too!

27. In other words, E-Lie and the Mara’s/Giants game used equipment fraud case is heating up, so we need to get the Patriots back in the news to distract them… got it.

28. So where does it go from here? No one really knows.
    _________________________________
    Do you ever throw you wife under a bus? I don’t.

29. Tom: hey honey, could you get me an asprin, I’m a little soar & I have a slight headache….
    Giselle: oh my God… My husband has a concussion!!!!
    & he’s asked for asprin several other times as well….so many concussions…..lol
    Total NON STORY…..but it’s the Pats & Tom Brady so it MUST BE BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION!!!

30. Whether he had a concussion or didn’t, no one will know unless you were the physician on the sidelines at the time. Speculation isn’t worth anything at this point in time. Besides, he’s married to this lady, do the math.

The GOAT will be gone in about 8 to 10 years and then your below average team will have a chance to make the playoffs. Wait your turn…. what’s the rush.

31. In Orchard Park in 2002, I was sure Drew Bledsoe was coming in when Nate Clements ROCKED tommy. I was shocked he got back up and wanted more. As a pats fan, I love that guy but man what a hit.

32. I want to buy his game helmet from that game, or at least a helmet he said was from that game.

33. Look, even I can tell from my barcalounger in my living room when some guys are concussed and not subsequently taken out of the game. Until this protocol gets squared away. the whole concussion issue is going to remain one big gooey sticky wicket.

34. If you play football, you’re going to get your head rocked from time to time. It’s just part of the deal. If it’s this big of an issue, just cancel the sport entirely and deem it unsafe for humans. But we all know wayyyyyy too much money is at stake for any of them to do that, so all this concussion hullabaloo is mostly just positive PR hot air, not genuine human concern.

35. Another scandal for the so called “GOAT”

Some other GOATs in Boston:
    -Richard Nixon
    -Lance Armstrong
    -Pete Rose
    -1919 Chicago “Black Sox”
    -the Teapot Dome

36. internetcommenter7 says:
    Jul 2, 2017 8:49 PM
    Don’t fall off that very high horse

————

Why do people hope successful folks all fail miserably. I don’t get it.

37. Do you really think The Greatest QB Of All Time is going to throw His wife under the bus?

She is not Ashley.

38. I assume the NFL will take action for not reporting this concussion, maybe a 6 game suspension and loss of their 2018 2nd round draft pick. That sounds about right.

39. He finally figured out it will hurt his future brain injury lawsuit against the NFL if he’s on record now saying he hasn’t had any brain injuries. You know. You know. You know. You know.

40. BarbequeTime says:
    Jul 2, 2017 9:26 PM
    —————————
    I don’t know about your wife, mine would be more pissed if I didn’t confirm what she said.
    By not admitting it as the truth he is doing the same as calling her a liar.

41. “So the Patriots injury report might have been less than truthful. I am SHOCKED! Shocked, I tell you.”

So you’re jumping to conclusions and/or lying about a concussion ever having been diagnosed by the team or league, which is 100% false. I am SHOCKED! Shocked I, tell you.

42. Now the trolls are convinced Brady was “cheating” because he might have hidden a concussion from the team and league. Concussions make you better!

LOL

43. The NFL already proved with the Seahawks, Colts, and Steelers that it doesn’t give a hoot if a team fails to disclose an injury that they are fully aware of…never mind an injury that was never diagnosed.

You people have completely lost it. So, so desperate to whine about everything Patriots. Grow up.

44. patriotsdefense says:
    Jul 2, 2017 8:55 PM
    Brady has a history of hiding concussions.

/////////
    Thanks for your opinion, Doc.

45. dukeearl says:
    Jul 3, 2017 9:07 AM

By not admitting it as the truth he is doing the same as calling her a liar.
    _____________

I believed mine would expect me to do exactly what Brady did. After reading your post I wondered after all these years together if I could have been that wrong about that so out of curiosity I called my wife and asked her to check out Bundchen’s original comments and then take a look at this thread. Her words, “Tom Brady is one smart husband and that guy (meaning you) is an idiot.” She also said something about the best possible use of my time but that’s a different discussion.

46. For those who are wondering how come the Patriots never skipped a beat despite Brady playing with concussions? It’s simple, a QB is just a cog in the Patriots system. That’s why we can win with anyone at QB, probably even a high school QB.

47. Whenever I wake up in the morning beside a super-model that makes $50 million/year I’m inclined to agree with what she says so that I can wake up the next morning next to a super-model that makes $50 million/year.

48. Lolz at the whining idiots.

Second, even if Brady did suffer one, the rules don’t require he report it so its not “cheating”

Third, even if there was one and Brady did not disclose the problem to the team, how is the team not showing it on the injury report “cheating”

49. It’s more likely than not Brady has had concussions and played through them. Just the volume of hits players take; it’s improbable that they don’t suffer them from time to time. The problem for Brady is if he has been injured and often what’s his quality of life like 10-20 years from now. Sure we can thump our chests and talk about what a real man Brady is, but if he can’t remember his kids’ names will it have been worth it? How sad would it be to be the greatest ever and not remember it? It’s up to him but those are the stakes.

Also he neither confirmed or denied he supported his wife without validating her statement.

50. Whenever I wake up in the morning beside a super-model that makes $50 million/year I’m inclined to agree with what she says so that I can wake up the next morning next to a super-model that makes $50 million/year.
    ———————–
    Freakin AWESOME post!!

51. harrisonhits2
    I can think of one other possible conclusion:
    Tom realizes that his wife might be better at spotting symptoms of an undiagnosed concussion than he himself is.

52. First, its entirely possible to take a hard hit, be stunned and there is no concussion.
    ————————————————–
    Actually new definition of concussions- if you are stunned–got your bell rung—have to shake out the cobwebs–these are all concussions.
    Matter of fact most of the people studying concussions think that they occur on every single play that there is contact in the NFL.
    The difference is these ‘micro concussions’ might not even have symptoms, but they do build up over time, and build up brain damage over time.

53. “You know, she drives home with me every night you know? You know it’s like, you know, we sleep in the same bed. I know she knows I know, you know”

54. At this point, I pretty much just assume every QB in the league has a concussion at some point every season and denies it, so…nothing to see here.

55. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Jul 3, 2017 10:53 AM

It’s simple, a QB is just a cog in the Patriots system.

————————————————————
    All the good teams with intelligent coaches, players, and fans have systems.

Your Dolphins haven’t won anything in 44 years. It may be time for a system.

56. 315judman says:
    Jul 3, 2017 8:23 AM
    Another scandal for the so called “GOAT”

Some other GOATs in Boston:
    -Richard Nixon
    -Lance Armstrong
    -Pete Rose
    -1919 Chicago “Black Sox”
    -the Teapot Dome
    ———————————

Come on, A little history here…Massachusetts was the ONLY state to not vote for Richard Nixon in 1972. He won the Electorate state voting 49 to 1! You seem to be a little misinformed, so here’s the more accurate Boston GOAT List:

– Tom Brady
    – Robert Gorden Orr
    – Larry Bird
    – Ted Williams
    – Paul Revere
    – And all of the Minutemen that freed your butt in 1775 – Happy Birthday America, You’re welcome!

There, fixed it for you.

57. superpatriotsfan says:
    Jul 2, 2017 11:23 PM

Tom Brady turning the corner? Admitting his guilt?

===============

It’s not against NFL rules to have a possible concussion. It’s also not against NFL rules to pass concussion protocols and go back in the given game. Where are you going with that?

58. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Jul 3, 2017 10:53 AM

It’s simple, a QB is just a cog in the Patriots system.

============

Why is Belichick only 18-19 as Pats HC without Brady starting?

Why hasn’t Belichick replaced Brady with a cheaper option like he has so many other good players who got too expensive?

Point, set, match.

59. Whether Brady said something by not saying anything says something will be decided when reporters finally get to ask him. The ESPN piece and its timing are curious. I think Tom is planning some ‘already answered that’ responses when it comes up.

60. I’m not sure why folks wouldn’t believe her. They don’t need money so no reason not to tell the truth.