Evan Rodriguez hopes flag football can help him back to the NFL

Getty Images

Tight end Evan Rodriguez last saw action in an NFL game in 2014, but he hasn’t given up all hope of returning to the league.

Rodriguez is one of the former NFL players who took part in the debut of the American Flag Football League in San Jose last week and was named the game’s MVP after catching nine passes for 210 yards and four touchdowns from Michael Vick. He told Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times that he hopes the performance catches the eye of someone in the league who wants to take a longer look.

“I feel like this gave people a different view of me,” Rodriguez said. “I know I was a big guy that coaches wanted to use as a physical guy with my size, and this flag football league let me take advantage of my size and show my athleticism for a big guy.”

Rodriguez was a fourth-round pick of the Bears in 2012, but didn’t make it to a second season in Chicago after a pair of offseason arrests helped the team decide to move on without him. He spent time with the Dolphins, Bills and Buccaneers after that, but has been out of the league since Tampa cut him ahead of the 2015 season.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
7 Responses to “Evan Rodriguez hopes flag football can help him back to the NFL”
  1. vicnocal says: Jul 4, 2017 12:57 PM

Maybe Aaron Hernandez’s soul took possession of Evan Rodriguez. Sounds like an idea for a movie.

2. harrisonhits2 says: Jul 4, 2017 1:08 PM

I think what he meant to say was he hopes Roger finishes converting the NFL to flag football in the next couple years so he can get back into the league.

3. Cleanosaur says: Jul 4, 2017 2:06 PM

The problem with football players– they are like coal miners. They don’t have the imagine to just leave it and move on to something much better..

4. webbiewebs3 says: Jul 4, 2017 3:29 PM

Why not play in the Arena League or the CFL where they actually play with some contact instead of playing flag football where they literally can only touch you? I’d think that would do a lot more to establish your value than playing against guys that maybe only played high school level football at best.

5. tvguy22 says: Jul 4, 2017 5:23 PM

LOL

6. defscottyb says: Jul 4, 2017 7:28 PM

Good for him.

7. usitait says: Jul 4, 2017 8:05 PM

And I hope my first place (team) finish at the FOP scramble today gets me a sponsor invite on the PGA tour…but it ain’t going to happen either