Chiefs implement season-long game pass

Getty Images

As teams try to fill stadiums in the days since the death of the shell-game threat known as the local TV blackout, creativity is becoming a requirement.

In Kansas City, the Chiefs have adopted a season-long game pass, which guarantees customers a ticket to each of the 10 preseason and regular-season games for a flat fee of $200.

“The limited number of seats available through the Bud Light Game Day Pass will be in select locations in the upper level of Arrowhead Stadium,” the Chiefs said in a press release. “Bud Light Game Day Passes are non-transferable and must be used by the purchaser.”

As noted by Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal, the Jets are the only other NFL team to use these device for filling otherwise empty seats. At least 22 Major League Baseball teams use it.

The press release notes that traditional season-ticket packages remain available to Arrowhead Stadium at $380 for the full year, which entails a fixed seat and the ability to re-sell tickets to the various games. The broader message could be that the Chiefs are scrambling a bit to convince 76,416 people to pay to attend the various games of a team that has made it to the playoffs in three of the last four years but that he been bumping its head against the ceiling of the divisional round.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Chiefs implement season-long game pass”
  1. raiders34blog says: Jul 5, 2017 5:39 PM

Chiefs suck!!! Go Raiders. Even though we lost 6 straight games to them

2. hugeheavywoman says: Jul 5, 2017 5:47 PM

I thought A-Head was always sold out. Now they are giving away tickets? Not a good look for Andy and his GM less team.

3. arwiv says: Jul 5, 2017 5:50 PM

The thrill of seeing a game in person wore off years ago for me (too much of a hassle at 47 years old). However, its nice to see one every so often. If not for the “must be used by the purchaser” part Id buy two of those $200 season tickets.

4. greg3117 says: Jul 5, 2017 5:52 PM

sounds like a bargain.
    Dan Snyder would never do that in D.C. 😦

5. kcflake says: Jul 5, 2017 5:52 PM

raiders34blog says:
    Jul 5, 2017 5:39 PM
    Chiefs suck!!! Go Raiders. Even though we lost 6 straight games to them

Raiders Fans are obviously geniuses. This guys says Chiefs Suck, even though the Chiefs have Beat the Raiders 6 Times in a Row. LOL

6. packman15 says: Jul 5, 2017 5:53 PM

What they fail to convey is the additional parking fees which can total from $300 – $600 per season. So, a place to park your car outside Arrowhead is more valuable than a place to park your rear inside?!

7. kcflake says: Jul 5, 2017 5:53 PM

I think this Mobile Season Ticket package form the Chiefs is a Cool idea. Arrowhead is a Cool Atmosphere to be in on game day. Tailgating, BBQ and lots of yelling. A good time for sure.

8. kferguson2002 says: Jul 5, 2017 5:54 PM

When the hell will they come out with a team specific Sunday Ticket package? Probably never but wishful thinking

9. kcflake says: Jul 5, 2017 5:55 PM

Cool Idea from the Chiefs.

10. xlivsaints says: Jul 5, 2017 6:07 PM

Even the Saints have sellouts.. hell.. there’s a waiting list!

11. mmack66 says: Jul 5, 2017 6:15 PM

kferguson2002 says:
    Jul 5, 2017 5:54 PM

—————————-

That’s what this is.

If you are referring to television, then never is right.

12. georgeexley says: Jul 5, 2017 6:19 PM

More and more stadiums are offering uber drop sights.

13. magikskillz says: Jul 5, 2017 6:31 PM

Well parking and concessions prices aside. This is a nice jesture. Sure the seats are most likely in the nosebleed section. But $200 for 8 regular season and 2 pre-season tickets is a pretty darn good value. And for those who complain about parking fees, you can take an uber to the stadium or use public transportation (both of which are probably cheaper.)

14. asgrimsnorrison says: Jul 5, 2017 6:43 PM

I assume that is total, not per game.

Hell even though I’m not a fan of the team in the city I live in (Atlanta), I would do it, just on the off chance I wanted to go.

15. meadowlandssports says: Jul 5, 2017 7:01 PM

Even for a Bob Uecker seat, $20 a game for an NFL ticket in 2017 is nothing to scoff at. That price will get a few people out of the house and in the building.

16. monkeesfan says: Jul 5, 2017 7:02 PM

Not a bad idea.

17. exinsidetrader says: Jul 5, 2017 7:11 PM

Chiefs should focus all their money and energy on teaching Andy Reid how to manage a clock.

18. silverandblack052099 says: Jul 5, 2017 7:14 PM

Not a bad idea in theory, but as the article states the seats will be in the upper section of the stadium. If you’ve been to enough NFL games you know that is where most of the fan fights and other druken shenanigans take place. In my opinion if you’re not going to get field level seats, then the seat on the couch at home is a better option.

19. dznutz28 says: Jul 5, 2017 8:26 PM

Would the seats be seated next to each other if you purchased two passes?

20. raiders34blog says: Jul 5, 2017 9:06 PM

Chief Fans are so smart they can’t see a joke. That identifies they have dominated us over the course of Andy Reid coaching tenure. Maybe next time I will say that but highlight 1 Super Bowl and all those first round playoff losses.

21. hugeheavywoman says: Jul 5, 2017 9:31 PM

for a minute there, the title of this article was so exciting. I thought maybe the Chiefs would let Smith throw the ball 6 yards down field. My bad.

22. alonestartexan says: Jul 5, 2017 11:15 PM

I used to be an NFL season ticket holder in several cities (just depending on where I lived at the time) I enjoyed taking my kids to live games.

That said, those days are LONG gone. These days it’s a hassle to find parking (if the team themselves aren’t scalping you, no pun intended) I’d heard that some city parking lots in Nashville were headed upwards of $100? Back in the early 2000’s I could find parking there downtown for like $10.

Security to get into the games is ridiculous (I know, it’s a necessary evil these days) I’ve read that beers at the LA Coliseum were going for $15/each last season, it’s not much better in most other venues.

The only seats a middle class person can really afford (if they have a family) is the upper deck in the corners. I took my wife and kids (5 of us in total) to a Texans game last season and to sit in the upper deck for 5 tickets cost around $600, another $80 to park, $100 for concessions/food, then another $100 on random things like programs/merchandise and it’s pretty easy for a family of 5 to drop close to $1,000/week going to an NFL game, and this was in Houston, TX, I can only imagine how expensive it must be in LA or NY.

So, it’s a much cheaper venture to go out and buy the NFL Sunday Ticket package on my Playstation, buy a huge flat screen TV, and just BBQ and watch games at home. I think most fans have also figured that out and that’s why attendance is down league wide.

Sure, you’ll always have your traditional markets that sellout games, but others, like New Orleans mentioned above, will eventually dry out. New Orleans didn’t sell out games prior to the Katrina/Brees/Payton era, and eventually they won’t sell out again. It’s all a cycle.

23. mclennon99 says: Jul 6, 2017 12:21 AM

As for the Jets doing the same…shouldn’t the team be paying the fans to take the tickets and show up?

24. dgreenfi says: Jul 6, 2017 7:06 AM

@packman15 Ideally your car is considerably larger than your rear.

25. tonebones says: Jul 6, 2017 7:24 AM

Hurry up and get Patrick Mahomes on the field, and you won’t need to get creative to fill seats. Fans will need to get creative to find a ticket.

26. bmorepositive123 says: Jul 6, 2017 9:04 AM

I really like this idea, but I like it even better if they had a kid friendly option. Sell one adult pass at $200 and a kids pass for $100. Then put them all in one section that doesn’t have drunks.

All leagues should be emphasizing the young fan experience. Build your base for decades to come and give the kids a hat or something. You’ll make the money back on concessions and parking from their dads.

I rarely go to games anymore but as I get older and have kids that’s the only way I’ll go. I was raised in the 700 level at the Vet, but most people wouldn’t take their kids to that

27. jm91rs says: Jul 6, 2017 10:03 AM

So much hate for Andy Reid, but where were they before he showed up? You want to go back to the days of Herm Edwards, Romeo Crennel or Todd Haley?

28. thrifty says: Jul 6, 2017 12:05 PM

Lol. And chiefs’ fans brag about what a great fan base they are.

29. thepopefromtv says: Jul 6, 2017 1:52 PM

More and more stadiums are offering uber drop sights.

———-
    If you’re lucky that’s only a $40-50 ride *each way* to the stadium. x16 = $1,280 or up to $1,600 a season. That’s not even including the preseason games.

30. ctchiefsfan says: Jul 6, 2017 3:13 PM

Chiefs suck!!! Go Raiders. Even though we lost 6 straight games to them
    ————————————————–

But your Raiders can’t seem to stay in 1 city for more than 20 years at a time. That tells me who sucks.

31. crik911 says: Jul 7, 2017 6:54 AM

packman15 says:
    Jul 5, 2017 5:53 PM

—————

Teams make money off parking and concessions. They play salaries with ticket sales. (Usually)

32. jjackwagon says: Jul 10, 2017 12:07 PM

hugeheavywoman says:
    Jul 5, 2017 5:47 PM
    I thought A-Head was always sold out. Now they are giving away tickets?
    ————————————————-
    How does “flat fee of $200” equal “giving away tickets”?