DeAngelo Williams “definitely” wants to play in 2017

Getty Images

DeAngelo Williams moved into a new arena recently when he slipped on some tights and stepped into a wrestling ring for a tag team match alongside former NFL player Quinn Ojinnaka.

Williams’ debut was a winning one, although it came with a brief scare when an attempt to leap off the top rope and drive his opponent through a table ended with an awkward fall for the longtime NFL running back. Williams told Adam Schefter of ESPN on a podcast that he once told his late uncle, who was a huge wrestling fan, that he’d get in the ring if the opportunity ever came about and that it was a one-time deal because he still wants to play football.

“I’m definitely playing football,” Williams said. “I guess you could say I’m waiting on the phone call. I guess you could say that. I mean, not guess. You can say that. I’m waiting on the phone call with a G.M. or head coach or whoever decides they need my services. I’ll be ready. You can rest assured of that. I work out every day. I keep in shape because I know once that phone call comes — when it comes, not if — I’ll be ready to step up and deliver.”

Williams ran for 343 yards and four touchdowns for the Steelers last year while also missing time with a knee injury and it may take an injury to another player for that phone call to come Williams’ way.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
14 Responses to “DeAngelo Williams “definitely” wants to play in 2017”
  1. bmorepositive123 says: Jul 5, 2017 8:17 AM

From what I saw last year he hasn’t lost a step as much as many other guys at his age. If he stays out of trouble and in shape then it should only be a matter of time before he gets called

2. redlikethepig says: Jul 5, 2017 8:50 AM

He definitely wants to get paid in 2017.

3. corkspop says: Jul 5, 2017 9:23 AM

The Bills’ HC and GM have his number. Now if only he could play WR, TE, or O-Line.

4. chris6523 says: Jul 5, 2017 9:25 AM

Why is the word definitely in quotation marks when he said he definitely wanted to play?

5. stillabengalsfan says: Jul 5, 2017 10:30 AM

I have no idea why Pittsburgh doesn’t re-sign him. 26 has proven to not be able to stay in the line-up.

6. cpozsgai says: Jul 5, 2017 11:03 AM

Please with the stay out of trouble talk. We need him for insurance in case one of the bad Leveon scenarios plays out.

7. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Jul 5, 2017 12:22 PM

Time to hang it up

8. rhondaruns says: Jul 5, 2017 12:53 PM

Sign somewhere else, so you don’t have to go back to Pittsburgh.

9. shooter28 says: Jul 5, 2017 1:08 PM

AZ has a loaded RB Core with their top two being the NFLs best RB & Best offensive weapon in the NFL in Elite All-Pro 6″2/225pd RB David Johnson who doubles as a truly elite WR w/ elite speed for his size running a 4.45 40 & behind him AZ just drafted A BEAST of a RB in 5″10/200pd RB TJ Logan who has elite world class speed (he was the fastest long speed RB tested by sports science in over 5yrs) as the fastest RB in the draft w/ a 4.36 40 time, 37in vertical. Not only is Logan and excellent RB but he two doubles as an Excellent receiver, a true wide receiver like DJ.
    Arizona’s #3RB is 5″9/205pd RB Kerwynn Williams who is an EXCELLENT backup RB with a career YPC AVG of 5.6YPC, all the guy is produce when called upon.

That said if Williams would play for the veteran minimum he might be worth bringing in to compete for that #4 spot adding another power runner to use in certain situations when resting Johnson. Williams very well could be worth it at the right price .

10. genericcommenter says: Jul 5, 2017 1:45 PM

The money is more real in the NFL than Impact Wrestling.

11. sorryimbusypolishingmy6lombardis says: Jul 5, 2017 3:22 PM

While D-Will is a great guy and all, the Steelers simply don’t need him. James Conner and Kniles Davis will certainly get more than 343 yards and four touchdowns between the 2 of them. 34 yards on 14 carries in the AFC Championship Game will get you a place in the unemployment line every single time, and should! Still, best of luck to him, wherever his life’s work takes him.

12. pancaketaco says: Jul 5, 2017 7:27 PM

One of the better “celeberty / non-wrestler” performances.

13. mclennon99 says: Jul 6, 2017 12:11 AM

Buffalo should sign him as the #2 back behind McCoy and drop Jonathan Williams to #3. Would make me miss Mike Gillislee a whole lot less!

14. Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Jul 6, 2017 1:33 PM

The Bucs could use him for the first three games…