Report: Dak Prescott accused of fake autographs

Getty Images

Dak Prescott has to sign a lot more autographs now than anyone anticipated a year ago.

And he’s being accused of getting some help with them.

According to Darren Rovell of ESPN.com, the Cowboys quarterback has been accused of using a machine to sign autographs for a memorabilia company for resale.

A company which authenticates signatures has refused to verify the authenticity of the signatures.

“They had a very machine like feel. You could see the starts and stops,” said Steve Grad, principal authenticator of Beckett Grading Services. “I immediately knew they were autopen. . . . I’ve never heard of a modern athlete doing this.”

There’s been no comment so far from Prescott or his agents, but it makes him the second NFC East quarterback in the midst of a memorabilia scandal, along with Giants quarterback Eli Manning, who is accused of passing off gear as game-worn when it may not have been.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
33 Responses to “Report: Dak Prescott accused of fake autographs”
  1. MichaelEdits says: Jul 5, 2017 12:24 PM

I hope the machine spelled his name right.

2. superpunky5 says: Jul 5, 2017 12:25 PM

Fake just like his game is going to be this year

3. 4ever19 says: Jul 5, 2017 12:26 PM

As Harry Styles would say, it’s a sign of the times.

4. deuce22222 says: Jul 5, 2017 12:30 PM

Misery loves company.

5. tjacks7 says: Jul 5, 2017 12:30 PM

I never understood why anyone would want someone’s autograph unless they’re a kid getting it themselves in person somewhere.

6. jm91rs says: Jul 5, 2017 12:31 PM

Well this should at least shut up the Dallas portion of NFC East fans that have been all over Eli Manning for the helmets.

7. remstar10 says: Jul 5, 2017 12:33 PM

Shady

8. cmonitsfunny says: Jul 5, 2017 12:35 PM

That is too funny, what a tool.

9. cmoney20 says: Jul 5, 2017 12:38 PM

He doesn’t even have that long of a name. How much does this machine cost? How much time do you save? I hate everyone

10. baltimoresnativeson says: Jul 5, 2017 12:40 PM

Never understood the value of an autograph.

The whole concept seems silly.

11. 345snarkavenue says: Jul 5, 2017 12:47 PM

a guy named Grad grades memorabilia. who would have thought?

12. xlivsaints says: Jul 5, 2017 12:47 PM

Fake Prescott

13. sportoficionado says: Jul 5, 2017 12:49 PM

Mara working overtime to quell the smoke around his qb.

14. screwmemean says: Jul 5, 2017 12:55 PM

I thought most athletes used auto pen? I have a certified Elway autograph on a helmet and it is certainly not hand wrtten. I think “certified” means that it is a true copy of the original, which is a little bit shady.

15. sportoficionado says: Jul 5, 2017 1:07 PM

jm91rs says:
    Jul 5, 2017 12:31 PM

—–
    nice try. but your guy is accused of having already sold “not” game worn memorabilia, whereas, this card company was already accused after the draft by having distributed cards with auto signatures. could be a simple example of a company trying to max their profits by pushing some fake autos through.

16. josh1973sun says: Jul 5, 2017 1:09 PM

Stay classy Cowboys!

what an off season that team has had. Astounding.

17. redclaw1314 says: Jul 5, 2017 1:20 PM

All under the shield of the NFL—-integrity Roger??

18. 'boys4life says: Jul 5, 2017 1:26 PM

Oh boo hoo, say it ain’t so joe. Any idiot knows when you get an autograph you WATCH THE GUY SIGN IT. Well, except for redskins, giants and eagles fans, they probably don’t have sense enough to know that. Get em Dak, lol. It’s gonna be a Cowboys kind of year.

19. raiderinva says: Jul 5, 2017 1:51 PM

Right about now Johnny Manziel is really getting angry that he didn’t know about autopen in college.

20. winningisabrees says: Jul 5, 2017 2:30 PM

may be a little lazy, poor work ethics, we shall see. I think this is a little deeper than whats on surface, which is sad enough

21. eaglesfanintx says: Jul 5, 2017 2:36 PM

Serves them right, I will never understand the desire to have an autograph…..

22. jonwill57 says: Jul 5, 2017 2:41 PM

I think there should be a full scale investigation of Dak . He should be suspended for the entire season. And there you have it…Romo returns!

23. jsuch2 says: Jul 5, 2017 2:47 PM

Evidently can’t throw a football with writer’s cramp.

24. irishmanknowsall says: Jul 5, 2017 3:16 PM

Off with his head! Or hand! Whatever. Does anyone care if a machine was used??? Public officials have been doing it for years? What, you thought the president signed 8m Christmas cards every year by himself? Non-story. Hardly a scandal.

25. strummer174 says: Jul 5, 2017 3:41 PM

I’m no Cowboy fan, but there is a long way to go to suggest Prescott was in on this scheme. He might not have had any idea it was going on.

Either way, what is the point of an autograph if you weren’t there to get it yourself? To show people you are willing to pay ten times the worth of something just because someone famous wrote on it? It’s idiotic.

I understand it if you want to commemorate a meeting with the athlete himself. But what do I care if I’m holding the same trading card Dak Prescott or even Peyton Manning once held? So what?

26. ascoflix says: Jul 5, 2017 4:07 PM

The only autograph I need is at the bottom of the check payable to me.

27. tndiver says: Jul 5, 2017 4:42 PM

actually this is more common than you think. For collectors you have to check to see if it was an autopen or not. Most will list it that way if it was. It sounds like the machine was malfunctioning because from what I understand, you can not tell the difference

28. daddeeo says: Jul 5, 2017 6:57 PM

The Cowboys have to be one of the worst organizations in sports.

29. buffalobraves says: Jul 5, 2017 8:33 PM

It’s an NFL fraud – plain and simple. Sadly, like the Bills’ results and Rex Ryan promises.

30. texmike says: Jul 5, 2017 10:38 PM

” The Cowboys have to be one of the worst organizations in sports.”

Sure Buttercup, what ever you say.

31. lawrinson20 says: Jul 6, 2017 2:08 AM

Unless you’re a kid, getting the autograph in person, it’s all just silly. You never know if they’re authentic. And what’s the point? “This is how he scribbles his name when he’s in a hurry.” Whoa.

32. atahualpaoxford says: Jul 6, 2017 2:52 AM

Where can I get a machine like that….??
    I have a lot of autographs to sign in the near future…

33. jsm11 says: Jul 6, 2017 8:01 AM

Uh, I never knew the celebrity is expected to manually sign a single the every item, boy the hand may falls off. I dunno what the hubbub is, is mass merchandising, get over it.