Max Runager died of blood clot

Getty Images

Former NFL punter Max Runager, whose body was found in a parking lot recently at the age of 61, died of a blood clot.

Via Tim McManus of ESPN.com,¬†Orangeburg County Chief Deputy Coroner Sean Fogle determined that the blood clot arose from a recent injury. According to Runager’s father, Max Runager suffered a fractured fibula when trying to get up from a chair using a walker. Runager was using the walker because he had previously fallen from the roof of his parents’ home, cracking a bone in his back.

Runager punted for the Eagles, 49ers, and Browns. He was a member of the 1984 San Francisco team that went 15-1 and won Super Bowl XIX.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
6 Responses to “Max Runager died of blood clot”
  1. RandyinRoxbury says: Jul 6, 2017 9:51 PM

Sorry to hear, RIP Max.

2. jodave5 says: Jul 6, 2017 10:44 PM

So sad. RIP Mr. Runager.

3. 1phillyphan says: Jul 6, 2017 11:16 PM

Sad but scary that something like that can happen so suddenly..

4. 400marios says: Jul 7, 2017 12:46 AM

Sad story. I think this is how Max McGee died.

5. redlikethepig says: Jul 7, 2017 6:05 AM

It’s going to be hard … but not impossible … to sue the NFL over this.

6. zinnsand21 says: Jul 8, 2017 5:04 PM

Surgeries, bone breaks can cause a blood clot generally a pulmonary embolism.. And if you dismiss early signs or get misdiagnosed like what happen to me you can die very easily.. In my case they thought I had a heart attack did several tests and said I was fine and released me from the hospital. I went home on a Friday and on Sunday evening started to pass out sat on the bed for 40 minutes then layed down and woke the next morning. Early Monday I get a call from a cardiologist who asked me to go down and take a test. Went down took the test left holding the wall to get to my car and went home. 2 minutes after getting into the house I get a call from my doctor and told me to go to emergency immediately that I had a PE.. My clot was triggered by an arthroscopic surgery on my shoulder several weeks prior..