Two Titans accused of assault sue their accuser

Getty Images

Two Titans players who were accused of assaulting a man outside a Nashville bar are now suing the man who accused them, saying that he started their physical confrontation and that they acted only in self defense.

Titans receiver Tajae Sharpe and guard Sebastian Tretola have countersued Dante Satterfield, the man who sued them in May. According to WKRN, Sharpe and Tretola say a drunk Satterfield repeatedly approached them inside a bar, then followed them out of the bar and threatened them, claiming to be part of a gang.

Satterfield stands by his story, which is that Sharpe attacked him after Satterfield told Sharpe he’d likely get less playing time this season because the Titans drafted receiver Corey Davis. Satterfield says Tretola assisted in the attack.

“When my client sued Mr. Sharpe, his agent told the media that Sharpe ‘wasn’t even there at the time [my client] was allegedly beaten up.’ In today’s court filing, Sharpe changes his story entirely and says he was there but acted in self-defense. We are confident that an impartial jury will be able to make out what actually happened that night,” Satterfield’s attorney said in a statement.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Two Titans accused of assault sue their accuser”
  1. norseyapper says: Jul 8, 2017 9:01 AM

You have to hate the gold digger/screw the athlete while you can attitude. Hopefully there is real evidence and not only a he said-they said situation. In this case what the two players are saying certainly sounds plausible.

2. stoneydog1000 says: Jul 8, 2017 9:17 AM

Never tell a wide receiver that he stinks.

3. jimbobcooterqbtutor says: Jul 8, 2017 9:46 AM

I once met OT Barry Stokes ( a journeyman who played for 13 teams from 1996-2009) while playing poker in the summer of 2008 when he was a member of the Detroit Lions. He wore his SB ring that I think he got while with the Packers.

I mentioned that the Lions just drafted OT Gosder Cherilus in the first round and that they probably wanted him to start. Barry didn’t seem to like to hear that and said something about “we’ll see about that.” I wasn’t too keen on ruffling the feathers of an NFL lineman so I just dropped it.

Point is, some of these guys seem delusional (and touchy). They just don’t want to acknowledge the obvious.

Stokes was cut in the preseason.

4. murphyslaw40 says: Jul 8, 2017 10:17 AM

I’m usually against celebrities getting away with things due to their notoriety or bank accounts, but I am actually glad the two are counter suing.

Too many people have these delusional fantasies of meeting celebs, then dreaming up some scenario to get paid. Used to be mostly women you would hear about, but nowadays a lot of men are golddiggers as well.

5. wordsmith513 says: Jul 8, 2017 10:21 AM

The best defense is a good offense.

6. bannedfromchoirpractice says: Jul 8, 2017 10:49 AM

Talk about CTE. Anyone who has ever worked in a bar is familiar with one element of alcoholics who cannot refrain from picking fights with anyone who will fight them. I’d be willing to bet that Satterfield gets beat up a lot and has the face to prove it.

7. nyneal says: Jul 8, 2017 3:03 PM

jimbobcooterqbtutor says:
    Jul 8, 2017 9:46 AM

Stokes was cut in the preseason.

—————————————————————

Stokes played for 10 teams during his career in the NFL. So he must have been pretty used to other guys taking his job.

8. jimbobcooterqbtutor says: Jul 8, 2017 7:23 PM

nyneal says:
    Jul 8, 2017 3:03 PM

—————————————————————

You are technically correct, I counted the Scottish Claymores and that he played for two teams on separate occasions as switching teams.

From my interaction with him, he didn’t seem to have accepted being replaced, he seemed defiant about it. From what I recall, he mentioned that he started some games the previous season as a counter argument. I guess he was sore about the thought of being replaced again.

9. tfootball1234 says: Jul 8, 2017 7:24 PM

how do you go from….i was not there, to….i was only protecting myself ? i think they pummeled a drunk. pay the man, you screwed up.

10. whenwilliteverend says: Jul 8, 2017 8:06 PM

I think this could get interesting since Sharpe changed his story in filing this lawsuit. If I were the defense lawyer I’d be salivating about the opportunity to put Sharpe on the stand. Talk about an unbelievable witness. He could discredit ANYTHING the guy says.

Now, I don’t know what happened nor do I presume to know. However, when someone says they weren’t there now all of a sudden they admit they were there, how can you tell when they are telling the truth. A good defense lawyer will destroy him on the stand.

11. bannedfromchoirpractice says: Jul 8, 2017 8:17 PM

—————————————————————
    tfootball1234 says:
    Jul 8, 2017 7:24 PM
    ————————————————————–

What part of reality don’t you understand? “I was not there” is the PR version the league wants to here. The “self-defense” claim is the “under oath” story that is true. I wouldn’t waste my money suing people for beating me up if I were you.

12. commentawaitingdeletion says: Jul 8, 2017 9:00 PM

bannedfromchoirpractice says:
    Jul 8, 2017 8:17 PM

____________

You are the one struggling with reality if you think the league wanted to hear a blatant and easily disproved lie. It wants to hear “We have no comment at this time and look forward to total vindication in court.” If self defense is the “story that is true” then if they couldn’t keep to the preferred no comment then that should have been the line at the time and not “Tajae unequivocally denies any and all involvement…” It’s undeniable changing the story is a bad look. The counter suit is just maneuvering and window dressing.

As far as the incident goes when you get your dumb azz in a solo bar fight with 2 NFL players you probably deserve what you get.

13. bannedfromchoirpractice says: Jul 8, 2017 9:33 PM

@commentawaitingdeletion

Bro, you’re getting agents mixed up with lawyers. What an agent says is no more relevant than yours or my comment. But if you want to think so, be my guest.

14. hawks1124 says: Jul 9, 2017 12:17 AM

If someone’s agent is running around spreading lies then he should be fired. There’s a reason people don’t comment on things currently going to court, and say things like “no comment”. The bigger problem is a guard and a wr couldn’t walk away from a 2 on 1 fight. Self defense shouldn’t apply to full grown athletes unless someone has a weapons or is also a paid athlete.