Brandon Mebane experiences discrimination in Orange County

Getty Images

For many Americans, the election of an African-American president in 2008 meant that the nation had moved past discrimination on the basis of race. Many other Americans realize nothing has changed.

According to Ryan Kartje of the Los Angeles Daily News, Chargers defensive lineman Brandon Mebane believes he has experienced racism in Southern California following the team’s move to L.A.

Mebane explains that he and his wife, Amena, applied for a rental home in a new neighborhood in Irvine. With Mebane due to make $3.5 million in 2017, ability to pay isn’t an issue. But the Mebanes were denied, because of one specific factor.

“They chose somebody else because their credit score was four points higher,” Mebane said. “When your credit score is in the 800s, it’s pretty much a wash. But you can’t tell a person they can’t come in your neighborhood because they’re black; that’s against the law. They don’t actually say those types of things. But they’ll point out things like those four points. The neighborhood was brand new. There were no black families there.”

Mebane said other Chargers teammates are experiencing racism in Orange County, where the African-American population, according to the most recent census, sits at only 1.5 percent. One player, per Mebane, offered to pay a full year of rent in advance for a home at Newport Beach. The player and his family were denied at the last minute, with no explanation.

Another teammate, Mebane explained to Kartje, was told pets would be allowed and “then, they find out the family is black and decide they weren’t accepting pets.”

Mebane also believes that a security guard at a local Louis Vuitton facility followed Mebane and his wife throughout their time in the store due to their race.

It’s good that Mebane is willing to talk about it. More people need to be willing to do that, and people who are the victims of discrimination in housing or employment need to be willing to pursue the various avenues for taking legal action against it. Only by exposing this behavior will it end, and only be truly understanding each other will we ever get to the point where we understand that we’re all the same.

241 responses to “Brandon Mebane experiences discrimination in Orange County

1. “They chose somebody else because their credit score was four points higher,” Mebane said.
    —————————
    So credit scores are racist now?

2. So how much a year did the other family make ? If the the applications were put in at the same time how do you make a decision? Credit score sounds reasonable to me.

3. Jesus. Talk about projection. If its a wash maybe they did it by coin flip? Maybe they thought – you’re a football player, football players get traded or sign elsewhere in free agency, and so the other family is more likely to be a permanent part of the neighborhood – long term. But hey, why should be any reason except your black because reasons. good god.

4. Jul 9, 2017 10:51 AM
    Give me a break…always the race card.

4 5

5. So you should have got the house over a more qualified couple. And because they had a higher credit score they shouldn’t have gotten it. Yeah that’s racism.

6. rodgerstonelson says:
    Jul 9, 2017 10:51 AM

Give me a break…always the race card.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oftentimes, the race card is the one that fits. Not always, but often.

7. Cue a bunch of crusty, angry middle aged white men who have never experienced racism in their lives and have no idea what it’s like to be discriminated against whining about this post.
    I’m white myself but I’m also not a total and complete moron so I realize that it’s impossible to go from lynchings in the south without any repercussions four generations ago to full equality today.

8. What happened to Brandon Mebane was wrong, but just as wrong is reporting it on a football website. Didn’t ESPN’s cratering teach us anything ?

9. “I’m amazed at some people’s willingness to completely discount someone else’s experience because they haven’t experienced it themselves.”

I’m completely amazed anyone would take someone seriously when they cry racism over a credit score.

10. Jul 9, 2017 11:06 AM
    Jul 9, 2017 10:51 AM
    Give me a break…always the race card.

4 5

0 0

His “experience” does not make the reason he is suggesting for not getting the home a fact. IF all things were equal, then why would he get it over the other family? Someone has to get it, and just becaue he didnt does not mean it was because he was black – in fact the evidence doesnt suggest that was the reasons. IT only suggests his FEEEEELLLLIIINNNGGGSS

11. With a credit score in the 800’s, and an annual income of 3.5 million dollars. Why on earth would you rent a home? It’s like throwing money out the window. Just buy the damn thing.

12. Making millions doesn’t mean ability to payback. Credit scores is a numbers game. Just like how a score of 23 beats 21 in a game of football. There is never a point where it’s a “wash”.

13. Orange County is the lone (significant) CA bastion for Right Wing psycho-bigots. Fortunately, they get no say in State affairs. And it will remain that way … forever.

14. So far, every comment finds an excuse why it can’t be racism. Never mind Orange County is only 1.5 percent Black. Always, “That can’t be happening!”

Reminds me of all the denials of Police Brutalities towards people of color for years until suddenly cameras started catching those “Good Guys” guilty in action.

Sad thing is, despite the mounting evidence it occurs, and what we witness with our own eyes, fools on PFT still find ways to come up with excuses and Deny, Deny, and Deny.

Go ahead and “Thumbs Down” this, but YOU KNOW it’s true and it happens.

15. I’m not saying you’re wrong Florio but you inch closer to ESPN and TMZ everytime you step up on your soap box.

Maybe you feel the need to use your platform to promote social justice, and that’s fine. It will very likely cost you PFT though. Your readers enjoy football and football stories. We don’t come here to read your opinion about the opinion of a man who plays football. I love the site, but I’m a goner if it turns into a Political, social justice site with a twist of football.

16. theandy59 says:
    Give me a break…always the race card.
    ————————————————————————–
    Exactly. There’s no such thing as racism. As I’m sure all of your many black friends will tell you.

17. The country was moving forward and making strides on race relations…until Obama came along. He had the chance to unite everyone. Instead, he pushed his own liberal racist agenda and made it ten times worse.

Racism is always going to exist. You will never get rid of it. It’s a sad fact, but it’s true. Just like terrorism. You will never stop it. You can only hope to contain it.

18. How is it that I was able to guess the author of this post even before opening it?? I must be psychic or some kind of genius! Can’t wait for a Colin Kaepernick post later today!

19. The thing I notice is the first paragraph.
    For some the 2008 election meant we moved passed racism by electing a black president.
    But many other Americans realize nothing has changed.

That presents as if the first group is totally wrong and they need to get with the second group and realize the fact that nothing has changed.

To me that is the problem. Both are wrong. Yes the 2008 election does not mean we have moved passed it. But, in no way is it true that nothing has changed.
    Wouldn’t it be more productive and accurate to point out the2008 election, and many other events, show we have made significant progress but situations exist that show not everyone gets it.

20. “You should really have your head examined if you don’t believe that racism is alive and well in America today”

You should have your head examined if you immediately see racism and fall back on it like a complete moron, instead of maybe just maybe considering that the people with the higher credit score got the house because they have a higher credit score….not because of the evil racist California people.

21. Having money doesnt mean you have class. Alot of football players are hood rich and ghetto. Just because they drive a Bentley doesnt mean they stopped smoking fattys. 9 times out of 10 when we hear about an athlete blowing 100k at a strip club, its a black guy. The other 1 out of 10 is Gronk.

22. why is this even on pft……..enough with social justice. we get enough of that with cnn.

23. When you don’t possess the mental capacity to formulate a credible argument/opinion, go the easy route and cry racism.

24. If people thought the country moved past discrimination with the election of President Obama, they were just as ignorant as a racist.

25. It must be hard being black. Every time you experience disappointment you’ve been told it’s because of your race. If a white person misses a promotion or doesn’t get hired, well, life sucks sometimes. It happens to everyone. We all have negative experiences. And only be truly understanding each other’s similar experiences will we ever get to the point where we understand that we all have the same problems.

26. “So far, every comment finds an excuse why it can’t be racism. Never mind Orange County is only 1.5 percent Black. Always, “That can’t be happening!””

It’s also 40% Asian, numbnuts.

27. I’m just here waiting for the next update on Kaep. I can’t wait to see what injustices he’s fighting today!

28. I work in real estate/property management in Austin Tx and I would never recommend renting out to any athletes exspecially football players. The wear and tear on houses is more because they are bigger humans with a bunch of bigger human friends.
    Johnny manziel ring a bell he destroys properties. Also don’t rent out your property to frat guys they wil do worse damage

29. I believe things have gotten better, but I also believe this still happens. I came across an interesting compendium of housing discrimination against athletes a couple weeks ago. Everyone from Jackie Robinson to Willie Mays and more modern beloved athletes were denied housing due to discrimination. Even if you want to buy a house with cash, you have (had?) to deal with covenants and HOA busybodies. I’ve often commented that there is a huge disconnect between the fans here and athletes as human beings, and I’ll leave it at that. You don’t have to be some far-left (a lot of discrimination is FROM the let, to be fair) radical SJW to acknowledge things like this happen.

30. or perhaps the person making the decision is aware of what happens regarding property values plummeting after black people move into the neighborhood.call that racist if you want but the facts are the facts.just because he happens to make millions playing football doesn’t make him a good property renter.percentage wise, its often not worth the trouble.while it may not be his fault, the history of others could be the reason for him getting the reaction he got

31. spartanlegend says:
    Jul 9, 2017 11:10 AM

38 65

——–

do you honestly believe white people have not
    experienced racism?

stopped at a red lobster in dc once..we were not
    familiar with the neighborhood..got holes stared
    right through us and had horrendous service.

not comparing it to what blacks or minorities
    experience as the same rate of racism in any way, but
    whites have experienced the nastiness..it is not just
    blacks

32. craniator says:
    Jul 9, 2017 11:11 AM

—-

I’m giving Florio and PFT a thumbs up on this one. It is easy for people who have never experienced racism to overlook its more subtle signs. Four points with an 800 credit score? Sorry that is likely a sign, especially in a new neighborhood that isn’t likely filled to capacity. Being followed around a high end store when no one else is? Yes that is likely a sign. And certainly changing a pet policy after an in person interview, that is likely a sign.

I consider PFT to be very responsible for reporting this because it is a social issue that can be advanced through sports. Sports has often been an accelerator of social change and I think it is 100% appropriate for people use their platforms to advance that change. I think it is their responsibility. Florio gets my vote this day.

I don’t think everyone who doesn’t understand this issue is a racist. But I do think a few of the posts I have seen in this issue come from people who are. There is a race issue out there, whether we want to acknowledge our dirty laundry or not. The sooner good people rise to help stamp it out the sooner this country can actually become a great societal leader again. Until then, others can keep hiding being the anonymity of a screen name while decrying the use of the “race card.” Walk in someone else’s shoes first and then talk.

Nice job Florio, and PFT.

33. My experience is that any person who is a sports star, regardless of race, is pampered and treated far better than anyone else. And what’s a security supposed to do? Sounds like securitism to me. Or elitism. Go back to San Diego, bum.
    Go Raiders!

34. “So far, every comment finds an excuse why it can’t be racism. Never mind Orange County is only 1.5 percent Black. Always, “That can’t be happening!””

It’s also 40% Asian, numbnuts.

and thats what Donald Sterling was sued and fined for over the years. Renting to Asians and not other minorities.

35. I am white and I have lived in Southern California all my life.
    Orange County, which sits between Los Angeles County on the north and San Diego County on the south, has long been know as a favorite destination for “white flight” in this part of the state. This is especially true in south Orange County, where exclusive neighborhoods like Newport Beach and Irvine exist.

1.5 percent might be the number of blacks in the entire County of Orange, but in south OC, where the TV show “The OC” was set, the percentage is more like 0.01. Mebane and his teammates need to look elsewhere.

36. I’m not discrediting him but lets look at this reasonably.

1. They were told they were denied due to another applicants higher credit score. That sounds reasonable to me.

2. A friend was denied for no reason. Put a name to the player and expose the rental community for this if it is true. If it’s a second hand story and there is no way to verify it’s irresponsible to assume that is the reason why they were denied.

3. The dog situation is touchy. If it is a new place that is higher end, I’m not surprised that pets are not allowed. Especially if supply exceeds demand for people looking to rent there. It could have been as simple as a misunderstanding where someone working in the leasing office was mistaken or maybe the potential leasee didn’t hear them correctly. Again, this is a second hand story so we can speculate until the cows come home.

4. As far as the security officer thing is concerned, I don’t doubt for a second that this didn’t happen to Mr. Mebane. However, before he chalks this up to racism I would like to share that the same exact thing happened to me and wife a few years back. I had won a trip to to stay in Los Angeles a few years back and we decided to walk Rodeo Dr. just for the heck of it. My wife is a huge Michael Kors bag nut but she usually buys second hand on ebay or knock offs at the flea market. We walked in wearing everyday clothes khaki shorts, t-shirt and sneakers and we were followed around the store in a not so subtle way by the security guard. My wife and I are Caucasian, middle class in our late 20’s at the time. So obviously we were targeted due to our apparent soci-economic or un-affluent look.

Again, I’m not dismissing what Mr. Mebane is saying but these things that he discloses aren’t so easy to be labeled as racism. I’ve heard of far more obvious and blatant stories than these few examples he has provided. Racism still exists and probably always will to some degree. So does overreacting and the convenient explanation of accusing someone as being racist due to rejection.

37. Well, I do remember a few years ago, when PFT was Pro FOOTBALL Talk. I came on this sute religously….lot of good information you didn’t see on ESPN and other sites.

Many of us posters tired of the far Left, social justice warrior stance of ESPN. Many sports fans have tired of this and revolted.

Shocked that Florio continues with this dribble. PFT use to be great. The sad thing is this….INDIVIDUAL acts of racism will always exist. Florio paints the over-reaching large brush. We are not his choir. We don’t live in a

SYSTEMIC racist country, but the social justice warriors want us to believe we do…..FLORIO….for my football brethren to you. ..you are on a very slippery slope. You sound like CNN every day. We have tired of the dribble. There are other sites that don’t pull the SJW card as strongly as PFT. You might as well go the way of MSNBC…..they are dying as well.
    Sad!

38. There’s a reason why it’s called the People’s Republic of Irvine. So many better places to live in the OC. Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, Laguna Niguel, and Dana Point just to name a few.

39. I have a California brokers license and was the general manager for a California property management company. The laws are so tight that you MUST follow the numbers. We are not allowed to pick favorites based on anything (race, job, family size below the suggested maximum, etc.) Pets are one of the few things you can deny and that is only if the renters to not spend 5 minutes online to get a companion animal certificate……. Basically I call BS on the racist angle. It is a metrics game now because of CA regulations. If this player lost the house because of that then he should look at the Race baiting organizations that pushed this agenda and not the Property Managers that are forced to follow it.

40. This title is highly misleading. Claiming without evidence to experience discrimination is different than actually experiencing discrimination. Of course, the truth doesn’t get in the way of the sermon at the end.

41. It makes me really discouraged to see how casually readers here dismiss the possibility of racist policies and behavior.

Obama and the progressives halted all the tremendous progress we were making how, exactly? Lord help us.

42. If someone is more qualified (see the 4 more points), what’s the wualifiers the mgt company should use to select the renters? Maybe the mgt company are Raider fans! In SoCal that’s a bigger likelihood than anti-black sentiment

43. “People tell me it’s not true, but they don’t understand what it’s like to be black in America,” Mebane told Kartje. “The only way we can move on and hear each other is by talking about this.”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    He is absolutely wrong on this. Talking about suspected racism does not enable anyone to move on from racism. It actually perpetuates it and enables the real racism by desensitizing everyone with false claims. He sees racism because he has been conditioned to see it wherever he goes. If anything negative happens, the knee-jerk reaction seems to be for him to locate the potential racial element that must be the cause of his discomfort. If you look hard enough you can often see things that are not really there. That reinforces the belief in victimization and increases the strength of the cycle of behavior/beliefs that he cannot escape. He is not alone. Just look in the comments here. People on both sides are playing this out. One group is desensitized because they see tons of people being falsely labeled as racists…and the other side sees a bunch of racists trying to justify racism. Get a grip people. You want this to go away? Then only talk about the actual occurrences of true racism and stop throwing everything in that pot. When that happens, the true stories of actual racism gain credibility.

44. I’m sorry I have doubts but can we please pump the brakes. There are income levels (combined with account balances) where credit scores have minimal impact. More than likely, the owner was not interested in leasing a high-end place to someone who might have break that lease in a year. So Mebane was probably “discriminated” against for being employed in a nomadic profession. And unless he’s trying to get sued, the owner is not going to disclose another applicants credit score.

Mebane did play in San Diego, correct? Home of Tom Metzger (Fallbrook)….Can he tell the difference Rancho Bernardo and El Cajon?

I’m not accusing him of making it up but I really think that Mebane is angry and trying to bring attention to one issue by inflamming passions about another. He’s also probably feeling the pressure to get settled since camp starts in a few weeks, which begs the question. Why is he just looking now? This move was announced months ago.

And “I’m trying Ringo. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd”.

45. Some of the comments here are so disappointing. It is obvious that those making them have not been the target of discrimination. I am a middle aged white guy- no discrimination. I have too many black friends who deal with this type of treatment constantly. I am sorry that we live in a country that still has that much discrimination. It does not matter, but my sincerest apologies to Mr Mebane and his family.

46. For those people who think California is a liberal state, think again. San Francisco and Los Angeles…yes. But the rest of the state is solidly red, as in “redneck”.

Most movies and TV shows that are set in California are located in San Francisco and Los Angeles, and that is why the misconception exists. But make no mistake about it: except for the areas around SF and LA, this is a very conservative state.

47. Of course this happened in So Cal.. You do realize liberals and progressives are the most racist, fascist brown shirts that exist.

Don’t worry Mr. Maybin I actually believe you and this is wrong and illegal what happened. The problem is stupid progressive California needs this to happen so the liberal progressive government in California can keep lining its pockets,

48. This is taking place in the liberal bastion of southern California, in a county that voted decisively for Hillary Clinton. Go figure.

Once Governor Moonbeam finds out about this, there’s going to hades to pay.

49. Did Mebane explain why he thinks he should have been chosen over someone with a higher credit score?

50. reddzen says:

===============================

The person with the higher credit score received the loan and that’s likely a sign of racism? In what way?

51. I cannot say whether racism was involved or not. But I do know that the African-American population screams racism so often nobody takes it seriously anymore.

52. America is the MOST RACIST COUNTRY in the HISTORY OF THE WORLD!!! And for all you RACIST saying “Give you a break!” Keep it to yourselves! What would happen if these developments said NO WHITES and only rented to Asians or others? Until you experience it, you don’t think it exists!

I’m SICK of you LOSERS trying to always say it’s the RACE CARD! Let’s call it what it is: AMERICAN RACISM!!! And who taught the rest of the world racism? AMERICA!

There are many Black folk who served this nation’s military for WHITE RACIST like the ones commenting on this site. Stop being COWARDS and speak up for people who are putting their lives on the lines so that you and your families don’t have to go to war.

Albert Einstein said, “RACISM is America’s worst disease.” Well, genius has company, because I agree with him.

53. tripledipper says:

==================================

Must be why Hillary won Orange County by almost nine points.

54. A friend of mine (who is white) was turned down for a job at the sheriff’s department in our city in favor of a black person even though he scored higher on their testing. And he was informed that he wasn’t hired because he was white. That’s discrimination but of course because of regulations stating that a certain amount of African Americans have to be employed in such positions he couldn’t do anything about it. Talk about systematic racism

55. As a white person who lived the first 32 years of his life in Vermont before moving to Orange County for a few years, I can attest that that place, with the exception of Santa Ana, has no cultural diversity. I never I thought I’d find a place that was whiter than Vermont. Boy, was I ever wrong.

56. If the house had gone to the Mebanes instead of the other family (assuming they are not also black), wouldn’t they have a better claim to cry racism?

57. “Fortunately we don’t deal with that type of discrimination or mentality here in Roxbury, MA.”

Ah yes the other liberal utopia embroiled in racism

58. Why don’t rich black athletes move into the hood and rejuvenate it with their money? Pay some of the out of work people from the community to fix up a place and live there. Build wealth for all instead of renting a fancy house out in the burbs. Or complain about racism instead of being a pillar of the community.

59. “America is the MOST RACIST COUNTRY in the HISTORY OF THE WORLD”

100% incorrect

Sweet meltdown though sweetie.

60. I have been denied several houses in my life for other people in Compton ….I’m white ….what is the reason for me being denied…..cmon whodatnhollywood why was I denied ……oh yeah that right because no race is as innocent as they think….

61. America taught the rest of the world racism?!?!?
    this country has existed for 241 years.im pretty sure racism has been around a lot longer than that genius.

62. Ugadogs21 says:
    *****************
    In 1981, the 49ers signed punter Max Runager. My friend’s dad owned a condo that was for rent, and Runager checked it out and wanted to rent it. Knowing that professional athletes, in particular a punter, were quite “nomadic” and that he very possibly might not be around to finish out the lease, my friend’s dad chose to rent to someone else. Not because of race (Runager was white), but because of his profession. Runager winds up playing 4 years for the Niners – so that one would have worked out. But it was no sure thing, and neither is Mebane.

This is just one of many reasons that Mebane may not have been chosen over another applicant, that has nothing to do with race. Bottom line: we just don’t know the whole story. Is it possible he was discriminated against? Sure. But is it definite? No. Yet whiny white liberals will play the race card and take shots at “right wing bigots” before even verifying that there’s an actual issue. Get a grip guys. You’re NOT helping the situation at all. Let’s call out true racism and work to fix it when it does happen, but let’s not jump to conclusions either.

63. Let me preface my comments by saying I’m 57 years old and I voted for Trump (for many valid reasons), but I’m anything but a racist. What I do know is stories and experiences like these pale in comparison to what was happening in the sixties and seventies, let alone before the civil rights movement. We should all acknowledge how much better things are today and that they are getting better every day, because anything less would diminish the horrendous struggles and conditions that people of color endured throughout our history. I’d like to think that this kind of hatred will become non-existent in my lifetime, but It would be naive to think there aren’t many racists, of all colors, still residing in our society. Someday, I hope, we can overcome such prejudice and discrimination and come to realize that the “color” of a persons heart is all that matters. That said, I also think it can sometimes be easier to play the race or religion card when things don’t work out as we’d like them to, it’s a simpler line to draw to rationalize our human disappointment. In any case, lets all hope that race wasn’t a factor here and that someday soon we never have to read about such things.

64. Let me see if I get this straight.

The land lord was supposed to rent the house to the applicant with the lower credit score because they were black? Is that the logic here?

65. Maybe black people do bring property values down.it might also have to do with nfl players getting released and traded then leaving the property before the lease is up. Im sure that all the news regarding drugs, domestic violence,and arrests for various illegal activities amongst nfl players had something to do with it. Given that 99% of those cases involve blacks why would you put yourself or property in that position. Better and safer to go with the other family.

66. Hate will be the downfall of this country. Not economics. Not war. These racists pft commenters please me greatly. Your the world we fight against.

67. What I’d like to know is if the couple with the higher credit score had been turned down in favor of Mebane simply to prevent cries of racism then could they have cried racism themselves? And would it have mattered? Basically he’s saying because he’s black he should’ve gotten the apartment even though it’s determined by credit score. His complaint of racism, to me, sounds racist in itself

68. “And who taught the rest of the world racism? AMERICA!”

It’s pretty scary how much passion you put behind such blatant lies. Yikes.

69. “Stay our of blue states.”

So you’re suggesting they should go the red states where the KKK is actively protesting the removal of Confederate statues?

The reality is this has nothing to do with “red states” or “blue states”.

70. Not saying this was or was not racism. Nor should anyone else as they don’t know the reasons behind the decision if it was the credit score or not. (Anyone who claims otherwise is speculating)

Regardless, we say we want to move past racism as a country, yet the first thing we seem to want to do is claim racism everytime something doesn’t go the way of a black, asian person, etc.

Yes, racism exist. No, racism is not the cause of every decision going against someone and the more we want to continue to use it, the less likely people are to give it credit. One way to minimize it is to isolate racist people and make them feel like the fools they are.

If the Mebanes think it was because of the color of their skin – then do they really want to live in that neighborhood anyway? I wouldn’t..

71. It could be racism it could not I don’t know but in a highly desirable neighborhood that competitive to get in I’m sure everyone who lives there are millionaires so letting someone in who has a higher credit score is reasonable. What about the guy who got the house? He probably makes just as much if not more. What if he was turned down and he had more money and a higher credit score? Now is it still racism? If you said yes than maybe you should reevaluate yourself. While there is still racism in this country we need not be so quick to pull that card when we don’t know all the facts. Everything negative that happens to a black person isnt necessarily because of racism.

72. Has anyone actually looked at some facts?

Orange County
    – 2.1% Black/African American
    – 20.5% Asian
    – 34.4% Latino/Hispanic
    – 4.5% Mixed Race
    – 38.5% White/Caucasion

Obviously a racist place. Appears relatively diverse, I’d have to say….

73. Simple solution . . . . .move to a black community. Why live where you’re a minority?

74. Roger, obviously you are not black or Hispanic or a very caring person because if you
    You were you would never make that statement. Because of people like you is the reason that racist still do and say the terrible things they do. SAD.

75. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says:
    Jul 9, 2017 12:54 PM
    Why are blue states such hotbeds of racism?
    —————-
    The confederate government was southern democrats. The KKK was the militant wing of Democratic Party. Everyone who voted against civil rights legislation in the 50s and 60s were democrats. Jim Crow was a democrat. See a pattern there?

76. I live in Orange County, I’ve done real estate & property management as well in Orange County, & as another gentleman stated, the laws are very strict on renting or trying to keep a segment of a color or ethnic background or of an area. Also, it is against the law to give information on another person’s credit scores.

This whole story stinks of an agenda. I also find it hard to believe he went door to door to find out who in the neighborhood was of what skin color. You can do a check thru an agent, but that info is also very hard to pin point as accurate.

In an area that’s is primarily black, if a asian, latino, or white goes there, they usually get the same treatment or stares of “What are you doing here or in this area?” We have all witness the same kind of behavior so his argument is void in regards to his shopping story. ALL RACES have experienced racism in some fashion, it seems that for one race, it’s only them who can be offended.

77. It wasn’t racial. The 1.5 percent quoted in the article is the percentage of Democrats living in the OC. It is a Republican stronghold, best to live somewhere else.”

Hahaha OK buddy. Is that why Hillary smoked Trump in the OC?

Facts matter.

78. Because he knows that there is a better chamce of something bad happening to hia belongings in an all black neighborhood than the nice one he’s trying to move into. Just the facts.

79. Sorry but playing the race card just to explain away your misfortunes is just childish and irresponsible. He already said they had a higher credit score and that’s why they chose somebody else. Maybe its a “wash” to you, but it clearly makes a difference to the landlord.

And Florio saying that nothing has changed is absurd. There as been massive social progress on racism in America. No its not perfect, and its not done. But the people who completely deny any progress being made, who campaign like we still live in slavery days are just as big a hindrance to social progress as any bigot is.

80. popcherrycoke says:
    Jul 9, 2017 11:12 AM
    How is this possible in the liberal utopia of California?
    ——

81. Anyone e who agrees with the statement that america is the most racist country in the history of the world is a brain dead idiot severely lacking any semblance of global history and current global realities.

82. Donald Trump has proposed that Californians receive a significant tax increase by eliminating the state tax deduction and the homeowners deduction. How “conservative” of him.

83. Higher credit score and professional football player are the reason they didn’t rent to you.

Who would you lease to the guy that most likely has stable income or a guy that as soon as his company has a work stoppage has to apply for high interest loans in order to live day to day even though they’ve made millions of dollars with little to show for it.

84. I used to know someone who always made their problems out to be worse than mine. If I said I had so and so problem they’d just jump straight past what I said to one of their problems and explain how it was worse. If I said something good happened to me, they wouldn’t congratulate me, they’d tell me something bad that happened to them instead. It seemed like they were trying to guilt me.

Needless to say, although I cared about this person, I got sick and tired of this behavior, which seemed abusive, since I never felt good when they brought these things us.

Black people, take heed-nobody likes to constantly have somebody diminish their problems and be told about how much worse they’ve got it. It’s an annoying habit and quite frankly makes you unlikeable after awhile. Whether it’s coming from someone you personally know and care about, or some person you don’t know, this type of behavior is a great way to get people annoyed and to stop listening to you.

85. “Hate will be the downfall of this country. Not economics. Not war. These racists pft commenters please me greatly. Your the world we fight against.”

Ah yes, the new leftist tactic where they label you a racist with zero grounds for doing so and then if say anything back to deny their ridiculous claims it just proves you’re racist.

You people are sick. For an even better example check out what happened to Brett Weinstein at Evergreen State College. Same tactics.

86. With a credit score in the 800’s, and an annual income of 3.5 million dollars. Why on earth would you rent a home? It’s like throwing money out the window. Just buy the damn thing.
    ——————-
    I agree…. But in the NFL, you could be cut in an instant. You may have to move just as fast. Maybe they don’t want the hassle of selling a home in a city they no longer work in.

87. 700levelvet says:
    Jul 9, 2017 11:17 AM

+++

Because: Black

88. Orange County traditionally votes Republican. Don’t let the facts get in the way of your narrative!”

Hillary just beat Trump in Orange County. What were you saying about facts sweetheart?

89. nc eagle’s fan- yes, Irvine is ethnically very diverse, but blacks are not part of that diversity. Mebane didn’t claim he couldn’t find housing because Irvine is white; he said he couldn’t find housing in Irvine because he’s black. White folks aren’t the only group capable of racism.

For others who are discounting Mebane’s interpretation of his experience:

The four point difference in credit report wasn’t the reason the other candidate got the house because a four point difference in a credit report is completely insignificant.

Maybe there were other reasons the Mebane family couldn’t secure the housing they wanted in Irvine, and maybe not. It’s a popular place to live; low crime rate, excellent schools, and many of the planned communities are very walkable.

BTW, for all you non-Californians, Orange County, CA is NOT liberal.

90. This day in age, to have people who think whites aren’t discriminated against in many areas is just as comical as saying this isn’t racism.

91. Drunk Uncle says:

=====================================

Ignoring the fact he did not single out Cali, you conveniently left out the part where he wants to drop federal income tax rates for everyone. You work for CNN?

92. We’ll never solve the race problem in this country because people that have never walked in our shoes just will never get it. There is not a black person in this country that hasn’t experienced discrimination and the pain of it. We all have stories from treatment in stores to interactions with police. Your denial does not make it something we imagined.

93. @jinbobcooterqbtutor

For the past 100 years in this country you and people who think like you have stood on the sideline while your people continue to practice racism.
    We send you a collective apology for your “annoyance” but I doubt it will be assuaged any time soon. We all know to well of your resistance to change.
    Take “heed” to this. Release your fear.

94. There are just as many racist blacks as there is whites, oh wait, that’s right we’re not supposed to talk about that truth though.

95. Why rent when you can buy making that much damn money. I live in South Orange County(San Clemente) and can’t afford to buy even though I make a little more than the average person. Hell, a 1200 sq ft condo goes for about $450k while a sizeable house at least $1 million……poor rich football player problems. We all feel so sorry for you.

96. popcherrycoke says:
    Jul 9, 2017 2:13 PM

_________________________
    …and you should check out annie dookhan and the estimated 40K falsified evidence reports and subsequent convictions, presented in court at the behest of the Suffolk Cty DA, and MSP. You don’t want to start quoting examples of Racism….real wholesale Racism that matters. That oppresses people on a wholesale level. You should seek forgiveness and tolerance.

97. The only actual fact in this whole post is that Mebane’s credit score was four points lower. Everything else is anecdotal.

What is the family whose credit score was four points higher supposed to do? Just give up on the house they want to buy because some whiny NFL player wants it?

This is a typical “racism” argument. Based completely on anecdotal nonsense and zero actual facts.

98. swhughes81 says:
    Jul 9, 2017 2:32 PM
    ______________________
    Blacks don’t have the power to be Racist.

Only you have the power to oppress.

#thethingsfoxnewsdonttellyou

99. Cue the perfunctory stop whining or “Playing the victim” quotes in 3, 2, 1 from people who don’t have a clue. Or even better will be the people saying all of this stuff happened just by coincidence and had nothing to do with race. Riiiight.

100. bamboozle99 says:
    Jul 9, 2017 1:58 PM
    What do climate change deniers and social injustice deniers have in common?
    ~~~~~~~
    Sense?
    Healthy skepticism?
    Ability to think on their own?

101. To every black person who wants to talk about their own experiences with police, discrimination and everything under the umbrella of “racism” I’d like to know what are you comparing your experiences to? The experiences of white people? You don’t know what other races have experienced any more than we know your experiences to compare the 2. Certainly you can’t compare every issue to that of white people as these days any negative experience for a white person from police encounters to job discrimination is discounted simply because it’s coming from a white person and therefore doesn’t get the attention that complaints from a black person get. When I was a teenager I was riding around in a predominantly white area with 3 of my friends (also white) when we were pulled over by a cop for no reason whatsoever and were told to stay in the vehicle and not move while 3 more cop cars rolled up with spotlights shining and cops shining flashlights through the window at us and were given 3 different stories from an illegal 3 point turn to our vehicle matching a description to the exhaust being too loud and they even went as far as to question a group of teenagers nearby about us while making us wait but no ticket was given and we were terrified to move as we were surrounded by cops. Now if a black person told a story like that it’d be “racist cops” and might even make national news but of course we were white. And we didn’t care anyways we just shrugged it off

102. 4 points differential on a credit score is not a big deal. there’s probably something else at play here, but we don’t know all the facts. the security guard thing is a bit suspicious though.

103. Rental properties are investments. Persons owning many units typically entrust a property management company to represent their interests. These management companies use a strict set of metrics to assign risks much like insurance companies do. They would be in breach if they didn’t use due diligence to protect their clients interests. If renter “A” has a credit score one digit higher than renter “B” then the decision only has one obvious outcome. As for pets, being a owner of 3 Pitbulls I can tell you that they can deny you on breed alone in most cities as can homeowner insurance companies. BTW, suggesting that a white person with a higher credit score getting the unit is racist sounds completely racist in its own right… until I was told by the media that black people can’t be racist.

104. Liberals are the most racist people you will meet because they see everything as race.

If this happened, it is not a surprise it happened in liberal California.

105. uknowimright1 says:
    Jul 9, 2017 2:50 PM
    And sometimes the factual track record of a race gives that race an earned reputation…stay woke, lol
    _______________________
    ….love this post.

it represents what 90% of the cowards are afraid to say.

even though, “the factual track record” and “earned reputation” of violence, racism and oppression is yours.

106. bamboozle99 says:
    Jul 9, 2017 1:58 PM

What do climate change deniers and social injustice deniers have in common?
    ________________

You sound incredibly stupid and gullible.

Go hide in a safe space at the bottom of the nearest pool and only come up when you are ready to think beyond the propaganda you have been fed by those that exploit your witlessness.

107. “…and you should check out annie dookhan and the estimated 40K falsified evidence reports and subsequent convictions, presented in court at the behest of the Suffolk Cty DA, and MSP. You don’t want to start quoting examples of Racism….real wholesale Racism that matters. That oppresses people on a wholesale level. You should seek forgiveness and tolerance”

I’m not one to take advice from an overly emotional stranger that completely changes the topic of the conversation in order to make some sort of irrelevant point. You should seek psychological therapy.

Thanks =)

108. “4 points differential on a credit score is not a big deal. there’s probably something else at play here, but we don’t know all the facts. the security guard thing is a bit suspicious though”

You think there’s probably something else at play here because you want something else to be at play here. By your logic they should just give the house to the guy with the lower credit score because why? How does that make any sense whatsoever?

My word some of you just throw out all reason and common sense in order to feign your outrage.

Here’s a probably for you: you probably live in a lilly white suburb with minimal to zero interaction with anyone who isn’t as white as you.

109. Stupid lede. The 2008 election showed that racism was alive and well. That it had never gone away. It gave racists an excuse to be themselves. It led directly to the events of November 2016, which could lead to the collapse of America as we know it.

110. bamboozle99 says:
    Jul 9, 2017 1:58 PM
    What do climate change deniers and social injustice deniers have in common?

———–

They are not whining snowflake Liberals?

111. Geez dude. Do your homework. Orange County is totally racist. Move to Los Angeles. Obama was elected because there wasn’t another legitimate option. It was like you were drowning and someone offered you a life raft. You don’t stop to see what color they are. Now that Obama got everyone back to work, the economy is red hot, and our home values have shot up again, we can go back to where we were before. Our country is more racist than it’s ever been.

112. While this issue isn’t directly pertinent, the re-location is having significant signs of unraveling. This NFL blunder doesn’t have a chance of success. The entertainment dollar in L-a-L-a-Land is spread way too thin. There’s simply too many options for residents and fans in general. It takes decades to build a fan base so Carson has to get in line behind much better options like: USC Football, The L-a-L-a-Land Rams, The Dodgers, the Angels, the Lakers, UCLA Football, the Clippers, Disneyland, Universal studios and a myriad of alternative options. Sad, because it’s a better team this year that would fill Qualcomm. Not so in Carson’s soccer field.

113. Athletes and people with fame always feel a sense of entitlement. So many doors are opened in their lives simply because they are in the NFL. And because this renter did not care that one prospect was an NFL player, and based their decision strictly on credit score he feels slighted? If credit score was the determining factor and mebane’s score was 4 points higher, I might be more sympathetic

114. duffelbagsports says:

========================================

Dude, the article is about a guy who claims he was discriminated against because someone with a higher credit score got a loan and he didn’t. Which makes absolutely no sense. And I seriously doubt he has seen the person who got the loan to even know what race they are.

When black people cry wolf on a daily basis, yes, it makes others skeptical of claims of racism. The “hands up” lie hurt your cause.

115. What a shock, a bunch of white guys on PFT say there’s no racism in America. What a shock they ignore everything he says except the one little bit they can use against him. Your fine with a black man as long as he helps your team win and keeps his mouth shut but as soon as he tries talk about his experience you berate and make fun of him. Yeah this country isn’t saturated with prejudice and racism, just good old fashion Christian values.

116. I have read, or glanced through, most of the comments. The one statement, made by two or three realtors, was that it is illegal to devulge credit scores. And, no responses. Makes me question his statement about “four points”. How about you?

117. Speaking of prejudice, it’s amazing how many folks here assumed, based on that the OC must be a Trump stronghold. In reality, Clinton beat Trump by 8% . Let’s all grow up… There was a time not long ago that we judged each other on individual character, not who we voted for in the last election. Life’s too short to eliminate half the population as potential friends, teammates, neighbors, etc…

Save the hate instead for the worthy targets — the idiots fans from opposing NFL reams.

118. Talk about click bait, this is it. I want to know who Brandon Mebane has hired for a financial advisor because that guy needs to be fired immediately.

With $3.5 million in income, you need to get some write offs to protect yourself and the easiest one is a home mortgage. Renting is a fool’s game and he is basically throwing money out the window so discrimination isn’t even in the top 10 of his problems.

Stop trying to play the victim card and go buy a house. Case solved.

119. Dude, the article is about a guy who claims he was discriminated against because someone with a higher credit score got a loan and he didn’t
    ——–

You didn’t read the article did you? Just the comments. He didn’t get denied a loan, he got denied a rental property he was on the verge of getting. Do you even know what a loan is? One person doesn’t get a loan at the expense of another person missing out. People with slightly lower credit scores get rentals all the time because they were first to apply and fit all the criteria.

120. “BTW, for all you non-Californians, Orange County, CA is NOT liberal.”

Oh just stop it already. OC voted for Hillary.

121. In today’s world, everything negative a black person experiences is due to racism. I’m unmoved anymore by the whinings of a community that has ignored its blemishes and responsibilities and blames someone else for them.

I am glad that the other party got that house. I only wish they had a credit score of zero just to rub it in.

122. abninf says:
    Jul 9, 2017 4:03 PM If he were denied the loan with a HIGHER credit score, then he might have something. But he has nothing but an inferiority complex.
    *****************************
    Nice try. The people who are afraid to compete with black’s on an even playing field are the one’s with the inferiority complex. If you think of yourself as being superior, you’re not afraid to compete with anyone. But you can fool the uneducated folks. Why do you think right wingers are always trying to gut education funding? Once again, if you think you’re superior, you’re not afraid to allow other folks to get an education. It probably doesn’t do us any good to see black folks dominating it sports. That’s really the only exposure we get, since we live is separate neighborhoods. Sports are the only thing black folk get to compete on a level playing field. We see these guys dominate, and it scares the heck out of the white folks with the inferiority complexes. Don’t be afraid. You have confidence, right?

123. Cboys4life2017 has it. Black America has been taught that the White experience is different. No police “harassment”. No profiling. No nothing. And that their experience is based solely on skin color. The point of comparing what you know to what you couldn’t possibly know is ironic. We often hear that very argument, “you don’t know what it’s like to grow up black”. Agree, just as you never grew up white, so how can you just tell us that the two are so completely different. I grew up in a white community, and if the cops see a car full of kids, guess what happens. They pull out behind you. Then they follow you until they find a reason to pull you over, or they follow you until they decide they have thwarted whatever mischievous plan you were employing when they spotted you. Getting pulled over for no reason is not just a black thing. The difference is, white america doesn’t get to use that driving while black crutch. Yes there are cases of driving while black, but it isn’t as prevalent as is reported by the black community. Every black person who has ever been pulled over was pulled over for their skin color, just ask them and they will tell you. The fact they committed a violation while driving is just a coincidence. Speeding? Nope, black, just happened to also be speeding. Blew through a stop sign? Nope, black, just happened to also blow through a stop sign. Etc etc etc. It is a self fulfilling prophecy. From birth black children are taught that any negative interaction is because of their race. Sad really.

124. “What a shock, a bunch of white guys on PFT say there’s no racism in America. What a shock they ignore everything he says except the one little bit they can use against him. Your fine with a black man as long as he helps your team win and keeps his mouth shut but as soon as he tries talk about his experience you berate and make fun of him. Yeah this country isn’t saturated with prejudice and racism, just good old fashion Christian values.”

Aside from the fact that he’s probably lying about knowing the other peoples credit score, because that is highly illegal….why in gods name if that were the dtermining factor would it make it racist to give the house to the people with the higher credit score? We’re really sorry about calling BS when BS stares us in the face.

125. I will shed many many tears for this oppressed multi millionaire that plays a game for a living. =(

126. “How is this possible in the liberal utopia of California?”

Keep watching cable television.

127. “Because geographically ignorant people don’t understand that California is massive and quite diverse.

Keep watching cable television.”

Oh, you’re another one that needs a lesson in recent history and demographics — Orange County voted for Hillary Clinton. Orange County is 40% white, 30 % Hispanic, and 20% Asian.

And “geographically ignorant” isn’t remotely close to the term you should have used to illustrate your point, had you been even close to being right that is.

Take a lap, junior.

128. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    Jul 9, 2017 11:09 AM
    rodgerstonelson says:
    Jul 9, 2017 10:51 AM

Give me a break…always the race card.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oftentimes, the race card is the one that fits. Not always, but often.

195 173

No, the race card rarely fits.

129. If we are going to really talk about this can we talk about all of it and not be labeled racist if we say anything negative about perceived or real commonalities of others????

130. Maybe in that neighborhood they’re heard horror stories about professional athletes. They may be worried about loud parties or having an entourage of losers living in the house. Or worried that the player won’t be able to pay once he’s out of the league in just a few years.

Ultimately, cash is king.

131. as another person who lives in Orange County my whole life I highly doubt this had anything to do with race due to the huge Mexican and Asain population here. Orange County is super diverse and they are just upset that they got beat out on the house they wanted.

132. You think that is racism… try going into an all black neighborhood and being a white police officer.

133. Seems to me the white male is the popular choice for discrimination these days. Funny no one ever mentions black racism. Just take a walk in a black neighborhood as a white boy, then tell me about it. I believe there is a higher percentage of black racists per capita than white ones.

134. So Mebane thinks being black + famous gives him rights over someone who has a better credit score?
    Got it.

See racism would be giving it to a white person with a lower credit score.

135. I’ve lived in OC for 50 years. There are communities where 3.5MM is just meh- like the island area or Newport Coast. Roll through Neiman Marcus at Fashion Island or any shop at Crystal Court dressed in shorts & flip flops and you too will be followed, guarantee it.

136. I am all for an open and honest discussion about racism so long as:

1) Nobody gets to redefine the term racism. There is a definition of it already and it is simply the act of thinking or believing one group of people is superior to another based upon their race.

2) The parties involved agree that racism isn’t just a label that gets stuck to one race and no other.

3) Racism in any matter is thoroughly denounced by everyone, meaning I want to hear people condemning Al Sharpton and Louis Pharakon for their comments about “Killing crackers,” and “Killing the White Devil.”

4) The phrase, “No Justice, No Peace,” gets abolished. It is a completely ridiculous anthem that just because you perceive justice is not done in your opinion that gives you the right to create mayhem and break the law and not get punished for it.

137. “Welcome to Trump’s America..”

Welcome to Obama’s America and the Democrats’ America. They’ve held the oval office for a majority of the past couple of decades and also had control of the House and Senate for the majority of that time, so I have a few questiona.

Why have things for the “oppressed” people not improved one iota in all this time?

Why have things not improved for people in poverty?

Why is there less tolerance now for ALL people than their has been in the past?

Why? Because the Liberals/Democrats don’t actually want to improve things, they are doing just fine by the way things are. They are only using you for your votes. How else can you explain all those years of being in power without resolving a single key issue? It has to be because they don’t actually WANT to fix it.

138. Racism exists! Shocker! Here’s another, until humans on this planet can erase all of the borders that divide each of the worlds nations, racism will always exist. Get over it move on. And lastly, nope, I’m not white.

139. When I was younger, I asked my Dad, “How come there aren’t any black people that live in our neighborhood and they all live on 1 street?” And he proceeded to explain racial real estate steering to me. And this was in the suburbs of an East Coast city (not the South) in the ’90s.

140. iamthehorniestmanintheworld says:
    Jul 9, 2017 11:13 AM
    Wait a minute, SOCAL? The liberal paradise? Say it ain’t so!

Orange County is pretty strong Republican .

141. People don’t understand what it’s like to be black in America? Try being black or female in other countries.

The fact is that none of these situations is demonstrably or even probably racism. There could be 1,000 other factors in each housing example. The store thing is just another perception without any consideration for the perspective of the security person. Has it occurred to him that maybe the player for the description of a known shoplifter? Maybe something they did was suspicious?

Show people actual evidence and they will condemn it strongly. Don’t give us this perception nonsense when you’re a millionaire celebrity.

142. ” I’m sorry sir, but we saw you play and you really haven’t made many tackles the past three years and this kind of embarrasses the neighborhood.”

143. Sounds like they went off a credit score not race. It’s not like his name is LeShawn or Tyrone… Stop already.

144. He admitted his credit score was lower, so is he stupid?

Oh, hell that must sound racist…..

He should call Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and BLM. I’m sure they would be willing to stage a march, a riot, or block traffic.

145. Irvine is a pretty pricey neighborhood…takes about $1Million.2 for a starter home in a decent neighborhood, where down the road in San Diego $800K gets you a pretty palatial home.

QB Phillip Rivers says he plans to keep his family down in SD and commute to OC for practice and games….we’ll see how that works out.

I suspect this will be a trainwreck season for Team Spanos, and by October he’ll be regretting his decision to leave San Diego. Sounds like the players already are.

146. spartanlegend says:
    Jul 9, 2017 11:10 AM

I could spend time explaining what’s wrong with this assertion but why bother, it wouldn’t sink in.

But please explain, slowly so I understand,
    when I didn’t get my house for the exact same reason and I’m white, to whom do I complain about what exactly? Or do us old crusty white guys just have to suck it up because, well, you know….

147. “Oh just stop it already. OC voted for Hillary.”

I said that OC (especially the more affluent communities) aren’t liberal. And they aren’t. But they aren’t stupid either.

148. He may have had a case if he had the higher FICA score and someone was chosen over him. Then the other person (with the lower score) could use the race card.

149. So much crying and whining in the comments. Anytime a story related to race comes up on this site, PFT-posting Middle America gets worked up over it and flocks to post uneducated garbage. It’s like clockwork.

150. The comments on here are the perfect example of how racism is swept under the rug in this country.

The article contains FOUR separate examples of possible racism:

1) Mebane losing the rental property to the family with the slightly higher credit score

2) Mebane’s team mate, who was denied a rental despite offering to pay the entire lease in a single payment.

3) Another Mebane team mate who had the owners change the rental policy at the last second to avoid renting to him

4) Mebane experiencing profiling by being followed around by security at the Louis Vitton store.

Of all of those claims, #1 is the weakest. Obviously, the property owner can use credit score as a decider. ALL THREE of the others are much harder to explain away.

So what does just about every commenter on here do? Hammer away on #1 and ignore #2, #3, and #4. Make the easy argument, avoid the hard ones.

That’s how you avoid having a serious conversation about race.

151. midnightcusk says:
    Jul 9, 2017 12:23 PM

——–

It makes me discouraged that intellectually lazy and simple minded people play the race card whenever things don’t go their way

152. lukedunphysscienceproject actually a few people tackled the security at the store issue and as far as the no pet policy there weren’t really any details given on that as far as wether or not only certain pets or dog breeds were allowed so of course the answer is “racism.” As far as the player who agreed to pay the whole lease in one payment still no real details on that one either. For all you and I know he wasn’t the only one interested in renting the property and was merely on a list of interested people and simply made it known that he could pay the lease with one check as an attempt at greasing the proverbial wheels. But of course again when no details or proof are there the answer is still “racism.” You accusing anybody of avoiding the “hard argument” is hypocritical when crying racism at every turn is avoiding details and facts associated with the situation. If we had to have a serious conversation every time the race card was played we’d never stop talking

153. Was Mebane misquoted? He said the other party’s score was 4 points higher. Is this really a story?

154. Mebane has never been anything but a great person and citizen when here in Seattle, and deserves the benefit of the doubt I really hope all football teams leave the trash heap called California

155. The problems with racism are very real and certainly need better attention than they get. But if you really want to get serious attention to those issues you have to find better examples than this to hang your hat on. This is a buisness decision that makes sense so it sounds like you are saying some sort of favoritism was owed. Lack of favoritism is not discrimination.

156. 2 financial fits, one a pro football player, one who knows? what landlord and neighborhood wants that party moving to town? Let’s be honest for once in this blind pc world. I go against the NFL player every day of the week. Take it from a failing landlord in “I’m going to make money doing this in the long run”. Young partiers are not a good fit.

157. Just throwing this out there and not as a troll comment… is it possible that the Chargers situation in LA is so rushed and so shakey that the team employees are not seen as good long term risks?

158. Sorry, the race card is tired. It was overused by the last administration and is now officially retired.

Try something else.

159. abinf

You are conveniently ignoring the fact that it means higher overall tax bills for states with higher state taxes, like New York and California. For me, Trumps tax hike means I pay $12k instead of getting $11k. That’s how he woukd subsidize the tax cuts in red states. Of course, California already pays more federal taxes than every other state, and gets the least back.

160. popcherrycoke says:

161. Talk about living where your not wanted. How many white people move into black neighborhoods even though the rents might be more affordable? Turn those table please.

162. Until racial harmony is taught in our churches, America will be a racist Nation. And I speak of both sides of this.

163. Sorry but that’s not racism. That’s culturalism. The black athlete culture is what that community didn’t want. It had nothing to do with the color of his skin, or an idea that he is genetically inferior.

164. Wow, I like how my use of statistics earns me down votes among Trumpers. It proves I am right, and they can’t handle it, LOL

165. NFL players have a bad reptuation. If it were my neighborhood I wouldn’t want one of the living there, black or white. Too much trouble.

166. It’s mostly SENSATIONALISM. Do I feel for him, slightly, but the only stories you hear about are these. Not trying to be offensive, but easily the most racism that happens in this country is against whites – by far! you just never hear of these

the papers don’t put race of the perpetrators when acts are committed against whites (3 to 4 articles a day easy)

whites are the only people you are allowed to discriminate against legally

honestly, if the homeowner doesn’t want him there he really should have that right.

167. nhpats says:
    Jul 9, 2017 8:25 PM
    midnightcusk says:
    Jul 9, 2017 12:23 PM

——–

**********************************************************************

Responding with a comment complaining about the “race card” is about as intellectually lazy and simple minded as one can be when it comes to the topic of race. Good job.

168. whodatnhollywood says:
    Jul 9, 2017 12:50 PM

*****************************************************
    Seems that you’ve never studied world history – racism was around for thousands of years before the USA even existed. Comparing yourself to Albert Einstein – classy – very classy.

169. mmmpierogi says:
    Jul 10, 2017 6:52 AM
    nhpats says:
    Jul 9, 2017 8:25 PM
    midnightcusk says:
    Jul 9, 2017 12:23 PM

——–

**********************************************************************

—————

Who are the first people to bring race into the conversation or play the race card……oh yeah…..The Racists.

170. pickleweedpaul says:
    Jul 10, 2017 8:47 AM
    whodatnhollywood says:
    Jul 9, 2017 12:50 PM

Because I worked a a highly regarded tech university in the Northeast I can tell you without hesitation that genius in the field of physics does not necessarily translate into any other aspect of life.

171. OK spin doctors, let’s see what you can do with these facts.

The number of black people who killed whites and the number of whites who killed blacks climbed to levels not seen since 2008, accounting last year for their largest percentages of U.S. homicides of black and white victims since at least the start of the century, according to the crime data.

The statistics show that the 500 killings of white people attributed to blacks last year were the most since black perpetrators were determined to be responsible for the homicides of 504 white people nationwide in 2008. Last year’s total was up 12 percent from the 446 recorded in 2014 and 22 percent from the 409 seen in 2013, a year that saw the lowest total this century and one that capped seven years of general declines in black-on-white homicides. Prior to that, 2006 saw the most black-on-white killings since 2001, with 573.

The 229 black lives taken by white killers last year, however, marked an even larger leap from 2014, jumping more than 22 percent from the 187 black victims killed by whites that year, which was the second-lowest total since 2001. The tally was last exceeded in 2008, when 230 blacks were slain by whites. The highest total in the last 15 years came in 2007, when 245 black people were killed by whites.

I’m pretty sure I know which one detail will be jumped on to the exclusion of all other data here. That this bit of data proves that one side is killing the other off at 2x the rate will become insignificant to those with an agenda.

172. Maybe the owner of the home learned what kind of parties are thrown by young, NFL players who make millions of dollars per year, and his other option was an accountant.

173. LOL the Louis Vuitton comment really irks me, because as someone who frequents that store probably more than Mr. Mebane and who is white i also get followed- maybe it’s becuase they have merchandise worth 1000s of dollars that can easily be stolen off its shelves

174. “I was saying that OC traditionally votes Republican. Fact: Orange County has elected Republicans to the 48th Congressional district since 1993. Trump just lost it because of his anti-California policies and because he isn’t a real conservative. That doesn’t change the fact that Orange County is a Republican county. Don’t let the facts get in the way of your narrative, sweetheart!”

Yeah, lots of republican counties voted for Hillary! LOL, just stop it dude. Holy crap.

175. theandy59 says:

—————–

So what exactly was Mebane’s experience? He stated that someone with a higher credit score was granted a lease on an apartment he wanted to rent.

He didn’t say he knew who the renter was, what their religion or race or sex was. He said that they had a higher credit score.

So because Mebane is black we are all supposed to assume that this is somehow a racial. What sort of racist position is that?

We are led to believe that the landlord is white, racist, and rented to another white because they have to be racist because they are assumed to be white. Assuming whites are racist is the epitome of racism.

In this entire story it is only Mebane who we know to be the racist.

176. spartanlegend says:
    Jul 9, 2017 11:10 AM

—————————-
    What have you experienced?? I bet nothing!

177. Lemmy Aksyadis says:
    Jul 10, 2017 9:09 AM

________________________
    We are quite impressed with your statistical analysis. Not sure where you came up with these numbers but I’ll play.

So can you provide the white collar crime rates by race? molestation breakdown perhaps? Or does your “agenda” only include violent crime?

178. All the downvoters and middle aged white conservatives on this site bashing Mebane or whining about the “race card” clearly missed this quote by Mebane:

179. There surely must be someway in California for Mebane to file some kind of complaint for housing discrimination with the State’s Department of Employment and Fair Housing. If he’s so outraged, I’m sure he’s done so or plans to.

180. dcpatfan says:

What does any of that have to do with what Lemmy Aksyadis said? He was pointing out that black people kill white people at double the rate that whites kill blacks yet black people wanna act like all white people are the racist ones. Your reply says more about your own racist agenda than anything.

181. America is the MOST RACIST COUNTRY in the HISTORY OF THE WORLD!!!
    ====

Yes, I’m sure those living in Europe during WWII, terrorized by Nazi Germany, would find conditions in the US to be offensive.

Or the millions of citizens of Bosnia-Herzegovina in the 90’s who were displaced under fear of ‘ethnic cleaning’

And those in Rawanda during a similar period of genocide.

SMH

182. cboys4life2014 says:

because he has done such wonderful research into violent crime among races. I’m just curious about other crimes.

#everythingtheydouseitagainstthem

183. whodatnhollywood says:
    Jul 9, 2017 12:50 PM
    America is the MOST RACIST COUNTRY in the HISTORY OF THE WORLD!!!
    ———————

Yeah, OK. That’s why over 600,000 white men died to free the black man…The camel and the tent.

184. For those claiming that white people have it so easy, think of this: Whenever non-white people fail to get accepted to school, graduate, get a job, get promoted, get a raise, get a loan, or get the house/apartment they want, it’s because of their race and the rampant racism. Whenever white people fail though it’s because they’re too dumb, too incompetent, or too poor.

Racism is sometimes the reason why people fail but other times it’s just an excuse.

It may very well be that the REASON Mebane didn’t get the apartment is because he’s black. However, seeing how no one bothered to check who owns or manages the complex and who actually got the apartment, blaming racism in this case sounds more like an excuse to me.

185. soaringelvis says:
    Jul 10, 2017 11:58 AMYeah, OK.

__________________

lol….is that what tucker carlson told you???

unreal…

186. How the hell would Mebane know another applicants credit score? He wouldn’t have knowledge of this unless it was given to him by the realtor, which is illegal, so it sounds like he’s just throwing out a number, but whatever.

That said South Orange County (vs. North OC) is very conservative, wealthy and predominantly white. I can totally see him losing out to an equally qualified renter who seemed to “fit” the neighborhood better, especially in Irvine. Bu they do the same thing to everyone, black or white. When I moved my family into an exclusive neighborhood. They interviewed me and wanted to know everything about me. At the end of the day I was lucky enough to be accepted, but i could have just as easily been turned down.

187. lol….is that what tucker carlson told you???

unreal…

—————————————————

Yet another CNN watcher heard from.

188. They don’t want to see us unite, All they want us to do is keep on fussing and fighting. They don’t want to see us live together, All they want us to do is keep on killing one another.

Thanks to Mebane all of the public school champions on this board for helping the bad guys perpetuate divisionist racism. You’re all making Hitler and Stalin real proud.

There’s only one race. Wake up, stupid.

189. I guess he wanted to move into a neighborhood where he felt safe.Why not somewhere else?Why didn’t obama move back to his hometown?Makes me wonder if they are “discriminating” against those less wealthy than themselves.

190. OK, now THIS is a cogent take about racism and the NFL. Shame on Orange County if this is true. No one should be mistreated because of their skin pigmentation. I knew that as soon as I was old enough to play with other kids at Church and school. One of my friends was black and he’s still a good friend today.

191. granadafan says:
    Jul 10, 2017 11:21 AM

Nor does Mebane have a clue what it’s like to be white in today’s America. The proof? Read the article. He says it all.

192. So, he applied for a house along with (at least) one other qualified applicant, and he admits that the other applicant’s credit score was HIGHER than his?

Cool headline, guys.

193. So it’s racist to take the higher credit score, IF the other person is black?

Is it also racist for the black guy to vote for the black guy 100% only because he’s black?
    And for the white guy to vote for the white guy 100% because he’s white?

I know after 8 years of this BlackLiesMatter crap started by the racist president (don’t deny he’s racist after he not only listened to Jeremiah Wright for decades, but he also loved and admired him), blacks are now expecting more freebies and special rights and privileges not afforded anyone else.
    Race Card 101 is taught early and often.

So now, when we have 2 people gunning for something, and a mathematical formula shows someone not black at the top, they are supposed to ignore that in favor of “black”? Like Affirmative Action, legal discrimination?

Next thing you’re going to tell me is black guys (Larry Johnson) play harder for a black coach or a black player posting a meme of a white cop being beheaded (Isaiah Crowell) or a black multimillionaire basketball dunker saying the NBA treats black guys like slaves (Rasheed Wallace), or even an actor (Jamie Foxx) saying his role was awesome cuz he got to kill all the white guys.

Yeah, racism clearly still exists in America.