Bills defensive tackle Adolphus Washington arrested on weapons charges

Getty Images

Buffalo Bills defensive tackle Adolphus Washington was arrested on weapons charges Sunday in Cincinnati, according to 7 Eyewitness News in Buffalo.

Washington allegedly displayed a gun to police as officers were attempting to clear out a water park around 10 p.m.

According to the police report, Washington “reached for and displayed a gun while sitting inside his vehicle, just feet away from officers.” He was arrested on the spot and later released.

“We are aware of the incident regarding Adolphus Washington and have been in contact with him,” the Bills said in a statement released to the station. “Since it is a pending legal matter, we will have no further comment.”

Washington appeared in 15 games with 11 starts for the Bills last season as a rookie after being selected in the third round of the draft. He recorded 21 tackles and 2.5 sacks last year.

Washington also faced legal issues at Ohio State after soliciting a prostitute. The charges were dismissed conditionally after completing a program.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Bills defensive tackle Adolphus Washington arrested on weapons charges”
  1. johnnnyschatzan says: Jul 10, 2017 11:19 PM

Our off-season is right on schedule.

2. fafaflunky says: Jul 10, 2017 11:23 PM

Wow. What a beavis.

3. intellectualpenury says: Jul 10, 2017 11:28 PM

Another Urban Meyer product running afoul of the Law.

4. chiefsfolife says: Jul 10, 2017 11:34 PM

Sounds like a guy with high intellect.

5. jacksquat99 says: Jul 10, 2017 11:51 PM

Deserves to be out of the league and in jail for that Grade A dumbassery.

6. snakecage says: Jul 11, 2017 12:02 AM

So he’s not allowed to have a gun? I’m confused at to what the crime is.

7. reapshavocblog says: Jul 11, 2017 12:08 AM

Oh boy people are gonna have some fun with this one lol

8. Ugadogs21 says: Jul 11, 2017 12:59 AM

If this is true verbatuim then he should be drug tested immediately.

9. mackcarrington says: Jul 11, 2017 1:31 AM

One of Rex Ryan’s boys. Get rid of him.

10. darkbaconlips says: Jul 11, 2017 1:42 AM

You know, it’s always really cool to pull a gun on a cop. NOT! This guy is an idiot. Bills didnt win with him, wont win without him.

11. reprob8 says: Jul 11, 2017 4:21 AM

He’s lucky that his ignorance didn’t lead to him becoming another police shooting stat.

Even being licensed to conceal/carry doesn’t matter, if the wrong cop is involved.

12. SidFarkus says: Jul 11, 2017 4:56 AM

They’re lost without their leader Rexy, this franchise is a complete joke..billswillneverwin

13. cpozsgai says: Jul 11, 2017 5:25 AM

Fool is lucky to be alive.

14. george1859 says: Jul 11, 2017 6:20 AM

…..and that’s why Doug Whaley was the worse GM in the history of the Bills. Simply the worst..
    The guy just loved injured, slow, and overrated players…

15. sjsmarts1 says: Jul 11, 2017 6:59 AM

Not exactly starting off his career as expected. Underperformed last year and got himself in the doghouse and now this just seems idiotic. It’s sad that we have guys running naked and high into fields and brandishing guns toward police officers and the Pats have articles about one of their guys supporting fallen police officers. Hopefully Sean can change the culture.

16. TB12#BLITZFOR6 says: Jul 11, 2017 7:05 AM

With or without Rex the Bills are winning the off season again……….

17. jonathankrobinson424 says: Jul 11, 2017 8:05 AM

Honestly, how STUPID can you be? And to think these guys still make millions of dollars but have NO, and I really mean it, NO common sense! Throw the book at him.

18. dsigrey says: Jul 11, 2017 9:04 AM

Smart guy.

19. jm91rs says: Jul 11, 2017 9:04 AM

snakecage says:
    Jul 11, 2017 12:02 AM

So he’s not allowed to have a gun? I’m confused at to what the crime is.
    ___________________________________

He’s allowed to own one, but he’s not allowed to carry it around without a permit in Ohio. And even then, he really shouldn’t pull it out with cops around or he’ll be another statistic. He’s lucky he was arrested and not shot.

20. RandyinRoxbury says: Jul 11, 2017 9:09 AM

C’mon everyone relax.
    He didn’t shoot anyone, well not yet.

21. streetyson says: Jul 11, 2017 9:34 AM

Guns and hookers? Just the expected high-jinks spill-over from yet another round of preseason victory uber-celebrations. This team was on fire through May, but with little to do until next March you gotta expect the guys to let off a bit of excess adrenaline.

22. cricket45auto says: Jul 11, 2017 9:38 AM

I was thinking that maybe he was so scared of being shot by the police for being in possession of a gun that he overtly made sure that they knew he had one before things got hairy.

23. redclaw1314 says: Jul 11, 2017 9:48 AM

Go Bills

24. screwmemean says: Jul 11, 2017 10:00 AM

When I go to my kids water park, I wear a kevlar vest, 3 automatic Glock side arms, and a rocket launcher. You can never be too careful.

25. lgw91s says: Jul 11, 2017 10:02 AM

“The Sharonville Police Department tells NFL.com that Washington has a concealed carry permit that is valid in Ohio, but that he is being charged for a violation of Ohio’s concealed carry law.”

Confusing. Did the police ask if he had a weapon? I highly doubt that when police got close enough, he decided to brandish a weapon. That rarely ends well.

26. 345snarkavenue says: Jul 11, 2017 10:51 AM

cricket45auto says:
    Jul 11, 2017 9:38 AM

(part 1) I was thinking that maybe he was so scared of being shot by the police

(part 2) for being in possession of a gun that he overtly made sure that they knew he had one before things got hairy.

———

part 1 – I was wondering the same thing

part 2 – however pulling a gun is precisely the type of thing that makes things MORE hairy.

Our society needs more conversation about weapons, behavior, and fear of police. I won’t claim to know all of the problems, nor will I claim to know the solutions.

However if we keep allowing the extremes on both the right and the left (and their big $$ supporters) to shout and drown out common sense discussion, then we’re never going to achieve any sort of problem solving.

27. joetoronto says: Jul 11, 2017 10:55 AM

Fire in Cheektowaga!

28. harshedmellow says: Jul 11, 2017 12:15 PM

“So he’s not allowed to have a gun? I’m confused at to what the crime is.”

That will depend on the laws of the State that he was in.

In my state I would be perfectly legal with a loaded gun in my car as long as it was in plain sight. It cannot be concealed without a CCW permit. WITH a concealed carry permit, it can be in the car, in my reach, and hidden.

My guess is that he was trying to do the right thing by informing the officers that he had a gun. If the laws in his state allow vehicular open-carry then he should be ok legally. If not, he’s in big trouble.

Aside from that there’s the fact that black men informing cops about legal handguns in their car have been murdered more than once recently by said cops. I’m not anti-cop or a SJW for the BLM, but that just the truth. I’m lily-white and my two or three interactions with cops/guns/cars have always been very open and polite. I tell them I have it, they thank me for telling them, on we go in the traffic-stop process. Would that it was so for everybody. Maybe someday.

29. eroschmidt says: Jul 11, 2017 12:38 PM

He has a permit to carry the gun, he just displayed it improperly. Gun laws are very liberal here in Ohio. His violation falls under section B of these codes:

I’m not a lawyer but rough guess here is that he will get a fine and may lose his permit to carry.

30. finsphan says: Jul 11, 2017 1:06 PM

You can fix technique, you can fix injuries…… you can’t fix stupid.

31. buffalosunshine says: Jul 11, 2017 1:21 PM

question… he has a concealed weapons permit in Ohio.. I see these nut jobs walking around protests with all kinds of guns and cops are right there… what is the difference here? Disclaimer, yes I think having a gun in public is really just dumb but is it illegal?

32. aarons444 says: Jul 11, 2017 1:37 PM

If this had happened in Seattle, he’d be in a body bag.

Applause to the officers involved that demonstrated restraint.

33. buffalosunshine says: Jul 11, 2017 1:40 PM

I will say this… if he didn’t break the law then the NFL better not punish the guy for this. I have seen all kinds of people with guns BIG arse guns in broad daylight at protests etc… it is withing their rights as Americans. I never once heard them called stupid etc.. well I call them that.. but this seems like a massive double standard.. A big ass black man with a handgun is a problem but skinny little white guys with guns so big they can’t carry them is ok?? Now that’s Merica in a nutshell.

34. aarons444 says: Jul 11, 2017 1:48 PM

=====

People in the U.S. fear the government, and the government wants it that way.

Gun control conversation is a waste of time, in my opinion. First, it will be impossible to disarm this country. Second, it was a right the country was FOUNDED on. Third, the nut jobs on BOTH sides of the argument ALWAYS drown out any reasonable points.

.. I’m just glad I live near the Canadian border. If the U.S. ever does decide to go door to door to collect guns, I’ll be LONG gone.

35. factschecker says: Jul 11, 2017 1:55 PM

With the American IQ’s dropping owning a fire arm needs to be a privilege and not a right. Just like a drivers license. Reasonable people can effectively gain and keep a drivers licence. To me it’s time to treat fire arms with the same respect we have on our streets, hi-ways and interstates.

It’s not even a “with great power comes great responsibility.” More like “with great power comes common since.”

36. gonzoforbills says: Jul 11, 2017 2:26 PM

It used to be that e-coli was the most dangerous thing at a water park…

37. xbam says: Jul 11, 2017 2:31 PM

Future Cowboy….

38. 345snarkavenue says: Jul 11, 2017 2:40 PM

aarons444 says:
    Jul 11, 2017 1:48 PM

People in the U.S. fear the government, and the government wants it that way.

——–

I did not say anything about disarming the country, nor would I support that (I own several weapons myself). One of the problems about trying to even have a common sense discussion about weapons is people immediately claiming it’s all about disarmament. It’s not. There is a right place/use/purpose for them. Trying to make it an all-or-nothing issue is a mistake, although that seems to be the way it is often portrayed.

The use of fear in my comment isn’t reserved solely for fear of government. Yes, that is part of it. But it is much more than that. That’s why these issues need to be brought to the table and opened up for discussion.

39. koolaid69 says: Jul 11, 2017 2:52 PM

What exactly does right to bear arms mean?

40. laxcoach37 says: Jul 11, 2017 6:31 PM

How ’bout dem Cowboys! Oh wait, you said the Bills??? That’s odd because I thought only Cowboys and Jets do this kind of nonsense.

41. Ferdinand says: Jul 11, 2017 7:02 PM

Might want to get that guy a psych evaluation. That could be considered suicidal behavior.