Derek Carr reiterates that he took backloaded deal to keep team together

Getty Images

After Raiders quarterback Derek Carr signed a contract that made him the highest-paid player in league history, he claimed that he did the deal to allow the Raiders to sign other key players, a contention that didn’t really make a whole lot of sense at the time because Carr is, you know, the highest-paid player in league history.

Appearing Monday on The Dan Patrick Show, Carr reiterated his claim, pivoting to the topic after Dan asked whether the deal was backloaded for tax reasons, since there’s no state income tax in Nevada.

“I mean in a very small sense of it, yes,” Carr said. “I didn’t really care about getting all the cash in my hands right now. I trust [G.M.] Reggie [McKenzie] and when he told me . . . they love me and they want me here forever, so I said if that’s the case . . . let’s try and push some of that back, obviously, you know, for tax reasons and those things but also, more importantly, the No. 1 reason why I wanted to do that is because we have guys coming up that we needed to get signed, and I wanted to help the team do that. So getting guys like Gabe Jackson, getting guys like Khalil [Mack], you know, Amari [Cooper is] gonna come up at some point. I wanted to make sure we could keep our team together. And that’s the No. 1 reason we did it is I did not want to hurt my team and have some of my best friends leave and go play somewhere else.”

It continues to sound very good and honorable on the surface, but it continues to not make a whole lot of sense when scrutinized. Again, he’ll be making more per year in “new money” than anyone who has ever played football before. Unless Carr is suggesting that he could have or should have gotten $27 million or $30 million or $35 million per year and voluntary chose not to pursue those amounts, he’s hardly giving the Raiders a hometown discount.

More importantly, the deal isn’t really backloaded at all, as the full contractual breakdown published recently by PFT makes clear. From a cash flow standpoint, Carr gets an average of $23.75 million over the first two years, when the team definitely will be in California. After that, the per-year average drops by more than $4 million, to $19.625 million annually.

Also, the structure didn’t create maximum cap space in 2017, which reportedly is the reason for Mack not getting a new contract until next year at the earliest. Carr could have easily left at least $10 million in cap space behind on the exact same deal, giving the Raiders the space they would have needed to sign Mack now.

Finally, as to the notion that the Raiders “love me and they want me here forever,” we know by now how the game works, don’t we? In the non-guaranteed out years of the deal (Carr has three of them, if we overlook the mere $2.9 million that is guaranteed for injury and, eventually, in full for 2020), the team has the year-to-year option to decide whether to keep paying the money promised in the contract, whether to squeeze the player to take less, or whether to simply move on.

So it’s more accurate to say the Raiders love him and want him there until they no longer love him, and that this contract delays the Raiders from falling out of love with him until 2020 at the earliest. While it’s entirely possible that Carr will continue to earn the team’s affection deep into the next decade, his contract is the latest example of how, after the first two or three years, NFL contracts are a one-way street.

49 responses to “Derek Carr reiterates that he took backloaded deal to keep team together

1. This rhetoric is old hat and it’s only been 2 weeks. It’s not like this dude took $18m a season.

2. He just needs to stop saying that the deal was to help his teammates because it’s not. He had the chance to do it but didn’t and now mack has to wait until next year. Carr you are a very good player STOP trying to win the popularity contest.

3. i am pretty sick of this guy’s good-ol-boy routine. it’s disingenuous and obnoxious in the same way russell wilson’s schtick is.

4. And then the next QB will come along and make more than Carr. If a player is going to be successful and a team is to be successful, they need to have good players. He needs good players around him and they also need to get paid. Can’t have one guy making all the money and everyone else just standing around.

5. I ‘think’ he means he helped by not backloading the deal. Mack is under team control for next two-three years so he doesn’t have to sign this year. Most first rounders from that class haven’t signed extensions. Too early because they have 5th Year options, 2nd rounders don’t.

6. You have to look at the GUARANTEED $$$ and the FACT is Carr took much less than that versus Luck (about $19 million less as I recall). So, yeah, he DID sacrifice some $$$ for the team to stay together.

7. According to your previous breakdown, the cap number for his contract is as follows:

2017: $25 million.

2018: $22.5 million.

2019: $20 million.

2020: $19 million.

2021: $19.625 million.

2022: $19.877 million

How would this not give them more ability to resign players? In the final three years of the deal (when guys like Amari Cooper, Mario Edwards, and Karl Joseph could potentially be resigned) His cap number is 5-6 million less. I would think that this along with the cap going up each year would certainly help the team in the long run. Maybe the tax situation was a reason to justify taking a smaller salary after they move, since he’d be taking home a similar amount of cash on a lower salary in Nevada than he would in California.

8. he did nobody a favor but himself…bottom line , he earned it, but it was what it was supposed to be, nothing less…no discount what so ever…this guy is into self promotion I guess….this is like saying James Harden just did the rockets a favor as well.

9. And I will reiterate that contending you are looking out for the team while signing the richest deal in league history despite having accomplished nothing is patently absurd.

10. It seems that no one on this article can do math.

It was an extension of $125M over 5 years.

This years’ salary isn’t mentioned in that statement.

His contract is actually $126.79M over 6 years which works out to $21.13M/year.

If you cant see that there is a huge hometown discount for an MVP level QB, then math isn’t your only problem.

11. It is good to be worth the hatred that will be coming the Raiders way as they continue to build a strong team that will dominate for years to come as the Patriots, Steelers and Broncos are in their twilight years. Patriots had a good run and may have another run left but very soon it will be Raider dominance for years to come.

12. Carr is the best QB that team has had since the early 2000’s. It was a great idea to lock him down and to trust in his progress for the future.

13. Carr signed a market value contract, which was his right. He didn’t take any discount and help out the team.
    Did he really think he was worth 30MM/year?
    If he truly believed that, then yes he left money on the table.

14. What a joke. He took a back loaded deal so he wont be taxed by the state of CA. Further, he is the highest paid player in the NFL and doesnt even have a winning record, playoff appearance or divisional title. Yeah, he back loaded alright and left alot of jelly on the table for his teamates. LOL!

15. They can feed the fish all day. Bottom line, all agents of Players, look out for their Employers with total emphasis of making them the most cash possible. All they do is feed the fish. Give the audience a little to nibble at while the Catfish gets fat. Generally, off of sky high ticket prices and Hot dogs that price as ribeye. That is why their is TV. Where the intelligent watch while dinning in luxury. At a fraction of one beer in the stands. Only in America!

16. psljax says:
    Jul 10, 2017 6:06 PM
    Not a Patriots fan…only 1 qb does team friendly contracts, and that is because his wife is the bread winner.

38 12

———

nope

he was doing that before he married giselle
    do your homework

17. Funny how so many haters didn’t take less money than what was offered in the interview for their job.

18. (Please do not comment about our current POTUS on
    this site. Thank you. Oh wait…)
    tylawspick6 says:
    Jul 10, 2017 5:45 PM
    this guy is a phony and bad leader

19. Just rhetoric, his fans will say what a swell guy, some will hate him. Myself am like a weary traveler getting beaten down by players and their disingenuous robotic responses, I’m tired of it. Playoffs? Playoffs?

20. He took $17MM less than Luck in guaranteed money. Given his obvious value to the Raiders I’d say he could have pushed for more money if he wanted to. It doesn’t matter if you think Luck is a better player. It matters that it’s a year later and Carr is the best young QB seeking a long term deal THIS year, that’s how this thing works.

I’m glad he’s a Raider.

21. bigmark67 says:
    Jul 10, 2017 7:21 PM

————–

Dominance? The Raiders cannot even win a single postseason game!!

22. The contract will be re-negotiated when Carr has 2 years left, and he’ll miss out on a huge chunk of money. The NFL contracts are a scam.

23. psljax says:
    Jul 10, 2017 6:06 PM

So how do you explain the pre-wife years?

Trolls, so deeply infected.

24. bigmark67 says:
    Jul 10, 2017 7:21 PM
    ———————————————–
    Slow your roll. How about just try to make the playoffs two years in a row and…you know…maybe win a playoff game.

25. psljax says:
    Jul 10, 2017 6:06 PM
    denverscott says:
    Jul 10, 2017 5:44 PM
    Sounds like TB12.
    ————————————————
    Wow, lot of salty ignorance here comparing Carr to Brady finances:
    1) Gisele IS NOT the bread winner – Brady (all sources of income) 2016 total was $40M, Gisele’s was $30M.
    2) Unlike Carr, Brady’s deals really are team friendly and backloaded, and he doesn’t even take the $20M/yr his contracts often quote as their average because he always ends up pushing those backloads further off into a future that may never even happen. If you look at his actual caps for the past decade or more they come in around $14M/yr, and will do so again for 2017 – that is team friendly.

26. Lemmy Aksyadis says:
    Jul 11, 2017 8:33 AM
    psljax says:
    Jul 10, 2017 6:06 PM

So how do you explain the pre-wife years?

Trolls, so deeply infected.

0 0

—————–

The troll won’t answer that.

If I had a dollar for every time I read an inaccuracy regarding the Pats, I’d be a retired millionaire by now.

Fascinating, isn’t it?

They just re-iterate the same lie over and over until it gets impinted on their brain the way their agenda wants it, and they end up believing it.

Very George Costanzaesque:

“You know, Jerry…It not a lie if you believe it.”

27. fantasychamp7time says:
    Jul 10, 2017 10:46 PM

I would rather hear about this guy than Kaepernick again!But with that being said Carr really does need to just be quiet now and just play.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And yet, you felt compelled to bring Kaepernick into the conversation. Obsess much?

28. 1captain1 says:
    Jul 11, 2017 12:06 AM

———————

no one is hating on him for taking a huge contract. we all would & i expect all players would. but dont come here saying you left money on the table for your teammates. because you didn’t. and that’s ok. i bet his teammates understand.

29. tylawspick6 says:
    Jul 11, 2017 9:30 AM

—————–

The troll won’t answer that.

**************************************************************************

30. Because you never troll other teams’ articles and say things that have no factual basis, right? Please.

0 0

—————

Excuse me? No factual basis? I’d say I come with facts, that end up getting censored or deleted constantly, not to mention my predictions are spot on, pretty much every time.

Do I need to post how many former NFL coaches backed BB on Framegate I to prove this? Shall I post Bill Cowher backing BB, as he retired 1 year before corrupt Goodell took over? I love facts. Love ’em. I also go to libraries to get facts. I don’t pretend the answers are only on the interwebs like Millennials do.

How many more times do we need to read the lies about the Pats before people like you need to realize that the source of the trolling in no way, shape or form, was ever initiated by Pats fans?

You people started this 10 years ago.

Pats fans will now finish it.

31. tylawspick6 says:
    Jul 11, 2017 10:14 AM

0 0

—————

You people started this 10 years ago.

Pats fans will now finish it.

Sorry Ty, you’re dead wrong,

it started in 2001, the moment NE was no longer a doormat.

32. screwmemean says:
    Jul 11, 2017 10:31 AM
    Brady’s wife has a net with of $350M. Shady isn’t even close.

———–

What does this have to do with anything? Egads man has your Patriots’ derangement syndrome now extended itself to spouses?

33. joetoronto says:
    Jul 11, 2017 6:20 AM
    There’s only one nation, the rest are frauds.

Raider Nation.

And a lovely nation it is. So clean, not littered with recent playoff wins like some other areas.

34. screwmemean says:
    Jul 11, 2017 10:31 AM
    Brady’s wife has a net with of $350M. Shady isn’t even close

That low rent bum is only worth $180 million. why would she even talk to him in the first place?

I’m pretty sure he’ll be OK if GB takes her ball and goes home.

Jealousy is an ugly shade of green. Jet’s fan perhaps?