Panthers fans may get a break with N.C. “brunch bill”

Getty Images

Panthers fans may be able to start their tailgating in earnest a little sooner this season, or at least they might not have to stock up the night before.

Via the Charlotte Observer, North Carolina is considering amending their current blue laws which don’t allow alcohol sales until noon on Sundays. Nicknamed the “brunch bill” (Hey, it’s better than their bathroom bills), the new proposal would allow sales to begin at 10 a.m., and would cover both bars and restaurants as well as retailers and local breweries.

With the Panthers tapering off last year and facing a lot more 1 p.m. kickoffs this season, that’s a potentially big deal for places like the Unknown Brewery, which sits a few blocks from Bank of America Stadium and opens its parking lot for tailgaters, even though they couldn’t sell their product until an hour before kickoff.

“That’s a couple hours where they’re drinking Bud Light and Coors Light instead of Unknown,” brewery marketing director Scotty Kent said. “This bill being passed is awesome for us.”

It will also help those who forgot to buy their beer the night before, though it will be interesting to see if it cuts into the number of expensive officially licensed beers the Panthers are able to sell inside the stadium.

19 responses to “Panthers fans may get a break with N.C. “brunch bill”

1. So called Blue Laws are based on religious beliefs, and as such should be declared unconstitutional.

2. “Hey, it’s better than their bathroom bills”

Oh, you mean the bathroom bills that the vast majority of people agree with?

SMH.

3. redlikethepig says:
    Jul 10, 2017 6:31 AM

———————————————————-

4. Religion in America is representation without taxation. They get prime political input without paying a single red cent in taxes.

Billions of dollars donated annually and they pay zero, zip, nadda, nothing in taxes. But yet they get prime political input on policies that the tax payers have to live by. It doesn’t seem right to me. Everyone else has to pay to play.

5. “The Bible, a book for those with religious beliefs, says people shouldn’t kill or steal. Should we apply your logic here and say laws against those acts should also be declared unconstitutional?”

I don’t think you understand the difference between crime and social engineering. I suspect you’d have a different view if an area with say a Muslim majority outlawed the sale of pork products.

6. This is great progress. Instead of being seventy years behind civilization, now North Carolina will only be around forty years behind.

7. factschecker says:
    Jul 10, 2017 8:14 AM

————–

Yeah…..like those two “Reverends” Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. These two fleece artists have turned race baiting into a multi-million dollar business and feathered their own nests nicely for many decades.

8. Nothing like getting ripped at 10 AM.
    But hey, if you’re into that, you can BYOB and start tailgaiting at 8AM, and get ripped by 9AM.

9. joetoronto says:
    Jul 10, 2017 7:05 AM
    “Hey, it’s better than their bathroom bills”

Oh, you mean the bathroom bills that the vast majority of people agree with?

SMH.

_________

Not as much as you seem to think. Pat McCory lost reelection even though Trump won the state. Most of that was backlash against HB2.

10. joetoronto says:
    Jul 10, 2017 7:05 AM
    “Hey, it’s better than their bathroom bills”

Oh, you mean the bathroom bills that the vast majority of people agree with?

SMH.

47 47

Vast majority you say? Is there proof of this or should we just take your word for it? Well don’t bother, I looked it up and it’s 50/50 at best but most data leans from slightly against (51/49) to 50% more against than for (65-35%).

I’m not against but I do prefer accuracy to hyperbole. That helps no one.

11. TheDPR says:
    Jul 10, 2017 8:42 AM

22 3

——————

lol

12. Lemmy Aksyadis says:
    Jul 10, 2017 9:23 AM
    joetoronto says:
    Jul 10, 2017 7:05 AM
    “Hey, it’s better than their bathroom bills”

Oh, you mean the bathroom bills that the vast majority of people agree with?

SMH.

47 47

I’m not against but I do prefer accuracy to hyperbole. That helps no one.
    ****************************************
    You’re forgetting about the silent majority, hyperbole comes from the vocal minority.

13. tylawspick6 says:
    Jul 10, 2017 10:05 AM
    This state is so backwards, it’s embarrassing. They think the Civil War just ended. Literally.
    ________________________________

I get your joking, but something must be desirable about NC. It is one of the fast growing populations and trust me… the explosive growth is painful for traffic, schools etc. Also, it boasts one the highest population of advanced degree workers with the highest pay in the South. I am a NYer that moved down decades ago and you know you are in NC anywhere outside of major cities here, but it still tops every list of great beaches, mountains, employment, cost of living, lower taxes and so yeah, I have to put up with redneck nonsense every once in a while. Worth it!

14. I’m trying to assume the posts about people getting ripped at 10 AM are being sarcastic, but they sound just like the religious nut jobs that oppose this very sensible bill. They’re screaming that the streets will be inundated with drunk drivers while they’re trying to drive to church, that traffic fatalities will skyrocket, and that the entire idea of allowing someone to drink an alcoholic beverage while they are in church is “insensitive to church services.” You know, because those tailgaters at the Panthers game or the newlywed couple having mimosas at brunch in Wilmington are destroying the service in their 600-square-foot church building in Garner or Marshville.

I can’t stand when any group – government, religious extremist or liberal do-gooder – tries to dictate how other people will live their day-to-day lives.

15. jgedgar70 AMEN (sarcasm or is it a pun?)

It is such a silly law anyway. I have had to stand at a Cash Register buying stuff for my Sunday NFL Get-Togethers and had to let folks go ahead of me, so I can buy Beer at 12:00 as the Registers won’t budge before 11:59 and 59 seconds. I never understood the law? I also don’t understand the whole ABC Liquor thing? I lived in NY and Maryland for many years and even had friends who owned private Liquor Stores there. Selection and Price competition works for consumers. ABC is limited and price fixed revenue for the state. People are criticizing North Carolina, but I wonder what nonsense their state has on the books. I am sick of the political talk too. NC is about as balanced a state as you can get. 50/50 Republican and Democrat, so that is not the issue.