Tony Jefferson studied Ravens defense on NFL Game Pass before picking them

Getty Images

Former Cardinals safety Tony Jefferson used a variety of modern technologies to assist in picking his new NFL team in Baltimore. For starters, he put himself in different uniforms in the Madden game to see how he looked in them. Jefferson said Monday on NFL Network that he also studied the Baltimore defense via the excellent NFL.com Game Pass feature.

“I had to personally go on NFL Game Pass and watch tape and film before I made a decision,” Jefferson said, via NFL.com. “I felt like this defense fits me. I feel like this style fits me. I love to hit, and do that type of stuff. And I think that’s the culture, and that’s what I want to be a part of. . . .

“I get really pumped up and excited when I talk about the scheme that I’ve seen so far through OTAs and minicamp. I feel like I’m going to be able to make a bunch of plays in this defense. [Defensive coordinator Dean Pees] loves to bring pressure, and that’s what Arizona did. I’m used to that. I like to cover. So I’m going to have the opportunity to do that [and] showcase my abilities as much as I possibly can.”

Jefferson, along with fellow former Cardinals safety D.J. Swearinger, became luxuries the team no longer could afford, given major paydays given to defensive backs Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu. Both former Cardinals will have a chance to make a major impact this year in Baltimore and Washington, respectively.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Tony Jefferson studied Ravens defense on NFL Game Pass before picking them”
  1. tylawspick6 says: Jul 10, 2017 10:48 PM

sure…it had nothing to do with ozzie being
    desperate trying to patch holes on that d, anf
    overpaying you

lmao

i mean, these players simply cannot admit
    that they took the most money

2. steelersallday says: Jul 10, 2017 10:57 PM

He’s no mike Mitchell that for sure

3. shooter28 says: Jul 11, 2017 8:32 AM

AZ could of signed and kept either one, Arizona just didn’t feel Tony Jefferson was worth elite caliber top safety money because he isn’t. Jefferson was good in AZ scheme mainly because of all the talent around him & because AZ did not play him in coverage much at all. Jefferson is Elite versus the run and a great box safety, but he lacks elite athleticism/speed running a 4.79 40 time & is not good at all in coverage, he is not worth 8+ Million dollars per year.

Arizona is also loaded at safety as is as they planned on adding safety help in the draft. AZ has the best S/CB in the NFL in Elite All-Pro Tyrann Mathieu, who is now fully 110% healthy and back to elite All-Pro form now that his knee injury is 100% behind him and healed, no longer needing a brace to play allowing Mathieu to be Mathieu on the field. Mathieu will be back playing up near the ball again in the box & of course playing the slot as well as a slot CB where he is hands down the best in the NFL playing the slot. Outside of Mathieu, Arizona also added SS/FS Pro-Bowler 5″11/209pd Antoine Bethea to play Jefferson’s old role as a hitter/run stopper. With a ton of talent around him now in AZ, Bethea appears to be a huge steal as he has looked excellent on the field, especially in coverage where he has been shutting guys down thru OTA’s n Mini-Camp, Bethea can still play at an extremely high level.
    Arizona also drafted one of the best top safety’s in the draft who had a 1st round grade & who’s playing style & skill set is very similar to Tyrann Mathieu’s in 5″10/200pd S/CB Budda Baker who with his elite speed/athleticism/side line to side line speed he is all over the field & an extremely violent hitter. In College Baker was elite both in pass coverage and versus the run and is a lethal Blitzing DB off the edge. Budda Baker has All-Pro potential & is built to play in AZ’s defensive scheme & Baker’s role in his college defense is extremely similar to what his role will be in AZ’s defense, so he will not have much of a learning curve other than new language in AZs defense. AZ also has rotational SS/FS Tyvon Branch with 4.28spd who excels in coverage and rookie box SS/CB 6ft/205pd Rudy Ford with 4.37 40spd & 5″11/190 FS Harlan Miller, so AZs defensive backfield is loaded at Safety.
    AZ will be just fine without Jefferson and again field an Elite top 5 pass defense, and overall defense for that matter, esp given their elite pass rush up front which is one of the NFLs best.

4. lofty99 says: Jul 11, 2017 10:40 AM

tylawspick6 says:
    Jul 10, 2017 10:48 PM
    sure…it had nothing to do with ozzie being
    desperate trying to patch holes on that d, anf
    overpaying you

lmao

i mean, these players simply cannot admit
    that they took the most money

Excuse me. Bro did you attend any school or you just passed in front of one?

5. inozwetrust says: Jul 11, 2017 12:21 PM

shooter28 says:
    Jul 11, 2017 8:32 AM

Shooter – I actually think your comment was longer than the article lol

6. kamthechancellor says: Jul 11, 2017 5:56 PM

Shooter is on his third cup of AZ Kool-aid…

7. Drunk Uncle says: Jul 11, 2017 6:10 PM

kamthechancellor is still trying to figure out how Seattle only scored 5 points against the Bucs, 3 points against the Lambs, and 6 points against the Cardinals, before getting roasted on a spit by the Falcons.