Derek Rivers looking to join Patriots’ edge-rusher rotation

Getty Images

The Patriots drafted Derek Rivers in the third round, but he was their first choice. He heads into training camp looking to earn playing time in the edge-rusher rotation that includes Trey Flowers, Rob Ninkovich, Kony Ealy and Geneo Grissom.

I want to play, obviously,” Rivers said, via Mark Daniels of the Providence Journal. “I definitely want to play, but I want to help. I want to get into my role and exceed at my role whatever that maybe. That’s what I want to do. I want to exceed in my role. I’m a competitor, and I want to win.”

Rivers sounds like he fits the “Patriot Way” already.

Rivers said Matt Slater, Dion Lewis, Ninkovich and Shea McClellin were among the veterans who helped him in his transition to the NFL during the team’s offseason program.

“We help each other out because it’s only going to make us better,” Rivers said. “It’s a blessing to not only learn the football aspect of things, but the off the field stuff as well.”

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Derek Rivers looking to join Patriots’ edge-rusher rotation”
  1. pleasantsurpriselefty says: Jul 11, 2017 8:01 PM

How lucky can a guy get. He gets to go to the Super Bowl in his rookie year! And all that will be required of him is to “do his job.”

2. kissbillsrings says: Jul 11, 2017 8:01 PM

This guy COULD end up being the steal of the draft…..coupled with Trey Flowers & taking into account the Pats secondary, this just might be the best pass rushing unit the Pats have had in years…..
    The offense is ALWAYS fun to watch & this year should be a blast as far as that goes, but it’s the D I’m most looking to watch grow & develop over the season…..will be exciting to see how it all plays out!!?
    Go Pats!!!!

3. tylawspick6 says: Jul 11, 2017 8:19 PM

somehwere jets fans are raving about their top
    15 pick busts

4. 6ball says: Jul 11, 2017 8:44 PM

Whenever you draft someone from a small school (Youngstown St.), you never really know what you’re getting. With all the veteran competition ahead of him, it’s unlikely he’ll see much playing time in the base defensive unit. He’ll have to prove himself on special teams first.

5. tylawspick6 says: Jul 11, 2017 8:52 PM

he needs to add weight in a hurry but i think
    he can help on 3rd and longs as a subrusher and
    on special teams

6. exinsidetrader says: Jul 12, 2017 8:16 AM

The Pats have a better System than your team.

It’s not magic or “cheating,” it’s the fact that they out-work, out-motivate, and out-think your team.

Don’t be mad, be better.

7. dudeicle says: Jul 12, 2017 11:50 AM

Looking to ‘exceed’? One of the gooder free educations, I reckon.

8. tedmurph says: Jul 12, 2017 12:13 PM

Not sure the Pats improved at D-end. Obviosly FLowers is a budding star. But they lose Long and Sheard, and picked up Ealy, who I think is a question mark. Ninkovich, as good As he’s been as an end of the line LB, has clearly lost a step. We shall see. Not many weak points on this team, but that may be one of them. Hard to expect much from the 2 rookie edge guys