AP

More than six years ago, while attending the Super Bowl at Cowboys stadium, I decided that I wanted popcorn. There was plenty of food in the press box at the time, but no popcorn.

So I went out into the stadium, found a cart selling popcorn, and bought a modest-sized plastic tub full of it. For $15. Then, when I got back to the press box and dug in to my $15 bucket of popcorn, I immediately learned it was stale. (Maybe the fresh popcorn cost $30.)

It won’t be that way at Super Bowl LIII. Falcons president and CEO Rich McKay told reporters at the SEC’s preseason media extravaganza that the vow to have cheap food at Falcons home games applies to all games played at the new stadium.

“[W]e will have the exact same prices as you will at all of our games, just like we will at the Super Bowl, just like we will at any game,” McKay said, via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “Because all of the customers that come in this building are our customers, too, and we’re going to treat them exactly the same way.”

McKay added that restaurant chains on the premises have agreed to charge the same prices at the Falcons stadium location that they charge elsewhere.

“We’re not going to let them come in and up-price people just because they paid to get into the stadium,” McKay said.

It’s a great approach, one that other stadiums will be pressured to follow. Then again, it may not matter. If/when a fan at the Superdome complains about the price of a hot dog and points out how much cheaper they are at the Falcons stadium, the cashier could say, “If you leave now for Atlanta, maybe you’ll be back by halftime.”

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Low-price food will be the rule for all games at new Falcons stadium, including the Super Bowl”
  1. Frazier28/7 says: Jul 11, 2017 3:59 PM

yes, the NFL brings in their own cash machines, gets ridiculous tax breaks and even has a hand in the money from the performer among others.

But, you will be able to tell the NFL that a hot dog will still cost the same at a preseason, regular season or even NFL Championship game. Sure… good luck with that.

2. backuppunter says: Jul 11, 2017 4:01 PM

“if you leave now maybe you’ll be there by halftime” love it

3. nfloracle says: Jul 11, 2017 4:12 PM

My man cave has a $300 popcorn popper just like you find in small movie theaters. It’s paid for itself many, many times over the years. There’s not a lot of foods tastier than hot, fresh popcorn popped in the finest of coconut oils in a guy’s own basement…

… and that’s while I sit in my plush recliner with “living fingers” to soothe my aging body and watch NFL games on my widescreen television set…

… oh, I almost forgot to mention the refrigerator next to the bathroom in my personal “stadium,” the fridge where I keep ice cold beer and other refreshing beverages.

Stadiums? Who needs ’em? Reasonable prices at stadiums? Yeah, right. Gimme my man cave any day!

4. aquineas1 says: Jul 11, 2017 4:19 PM

1. This is awesome.
    2. Too much to ask the same of movie theaters next?

5. stoneydog1000 says: Jul 11, 2017 4:22 PM

The food prices get jacked up at airports and stadiums, because people are captive. So, this is nice when the owners of a stadium put a stop to this practice. To be able to buy a burger for the same price as a McDonalds down the road would be great.

6. kcflake says: Jul 11, 2017 4:24 PM

Hopefully this Low Price Stadium Food trend will catch Fire league wide.

7. doctorrustbelt says: Jul 11, 2017 4:25 PM

Rolling papers = $1.00

Digiorno = $5.99

Parking = $0.00

8. factschecker says: Jul 11, 2017 4:33 PM

——–
    How hard are those to clean? I thought about buying one for my dad for Christmas last year but I got to wondering how difficult they are to clean and decided to go in a different direction. I think he’d enjoy it but maybe not if it creates a mess to clean it?

9. stexan says: Jul 11, 2017 4:40 PM

It takes a special kind of guy to charge folks $15 for stale popcorn. That’s why he’s going into the HOF.
    (Takes a special kind of guy to spend $15 on stale popcorn. We won’t go there.)

10. Anicra says: Jul 11, 2017 4:45 PM

Heck ya I wish all stadiums were like that. Slice of Pizza -7bucks Hotdogs-5 dollars. Just insane

11. packfaninpackland says: Jul 11, 2017 4:45 PM

From the previous post of this subject by McKay:

“This year, the Falcons will have $2 hot dogs, $2 sodas, $5 beers and other affordable options.”
    – – – – – –
    I’l believe THOSE will be the prices for the Super Bowl in Atlanta in 2 years, when I see it !

12. doctorrustbelt says: Jul 11, 2017 4:50 PM

I read in a food service industry magazine that the Soylent Corporation won the food service bid on Atlanta’s new stadium.

13. johnnybuc says: Jul 11, 2017 5:05 PM

Been going to games for forty years and have never bought food at the game! That’s what tailgating’s for.

14. veloman75 says: Jul 11, 2017 5:15 PM

Part of the high cost of concessions is the high rents that team owners charge the vendors. Good to see the Falcons not being so greedy.

15. collectordude says: Jul 11, 2017 5:18 PM

No such thing as cheap food at ANY stadium.

16. dangguy says: Jul 11, 2017 5:21 PM

It would be a smart move to have food in the Falcon’s stadium that a fan can’t choke on. That way team ownership can assure themselves that all the choking will be on the field.

17. elyasm says: Jul 11, 2017 5:22 PM

doctorrustbelt says:
    Jul 11, 2017 4:25 PM

Rolling papers = $1.00

Digiorno = $5.99

Parking = $0.00
    —————————————————
    I think your budget is missing a few items, unless you plan on smoking your pizza.

18. elyasm says: Jul 11, 2017 5:24 PM

…then the cashier said “Well, you’re not dealing with AT&T.” To which I said “I am now”.

Sorry, the article had me flashing back to commercials from the ’80s.

19. doctorrustbelt says: Jul 11, 2017 5:30 PM

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

20. laxcoach37 says: Jul 11, 2017 6:24 PM

Yeah… did you see the the tiny asterisk? It said after that Food will be cheap, but Parking will be $450

21. laserw says: Jul 11, 2017 7:52 PM

I applaud the reduced prices – maybe this will start a trend where the customer is not screwed. Maybe with a little effort we can lower the salaries of the NFL players and only reward them with performance bonuses and some profit sharing if they assume their fair share of the responsibility for any expenditures the team makes.

22. macjacmccoy says: Jul 11, 2017 8:09 PM

This along with parking prices is the main reason I dont go to games. I dont mind spending $70+ on tickets thats fine. Its the cost of everything else that keeps me away. It costs $15 buckets just to get a drink and a hot dog. You easily spend $60 on concessions and parking when its all said and done, and thats if u eat crappy food and dont drink any alcohol. Have 3-4 beers and a cheese steak and you end up spending nearly $200 for an event u can get for free at home. That comes with color commentating, easy access to replays, up to the second explanation of penalties, injuries, and stoppages, and the ability to better focus and notice the intricacies of the game.

As it is now I probably catch a live game once every 3-4 years. If they took away that feeling of getting ripped off and gouged that you get when you go to the stadium. I would easily go to a game multiple times a year. Because really its not even about the money its the stress of it all. It starts before you even walk in the door. You pull into the sports complex and u see signs for parking, but its the $35 lot. Well im not going to past $15 bucks to save my self a block of walking. So u drive around to u find the outrageous but less expensive $20 lot. Then u deal with security and the lines. Once u get in u gotta walk all the way around the staduim through thousands of fans bc the less expensive lots are of course on the opposite side. You finally get settled but u wanna get your food. You go wait in line and n buy whatever gets u the best value n get back to your seat. But you dont relax bc god forbid u gotta go buy another $12 drink. So you try to make it last. This goes on through the whole game. Your probably still hungry and thirst but dont wanna blow your money.

Wouldn’t it be nice not to have to worry about these things. Just park wherevers convenient and get something to drink when your thirsty and somthing to eat when your hungry. I know the stress of the lines, unruly fans, and security is a must, thats fine. You would think though that businesses that have those built in stresses would do everything they can to compensate for them. Not add more on top.

Hopefully Blank starts a trend and its not just a 1 off, as a reaction to the fact that Atlanta sports fans are famous for not attending there teams games, because if it does catch on around the league it would go along way towards returning us to a time when going to an NFL game was an experience like nothing else. That couldnt be duplicated or matched. No matter how many extra features you got from the television broadcast. It was something special you had to see in person.

Or they can continue on this current path and keep people like me home. Yea Ill probably miss going to the games, but Ill remind myself Im not pining over the current in stadium expierence, Im pining over what it used to be like, and if I went I wouldnt find that experience anyway. All I would find is my pocket a lot lighter.

23. macjacmccoy says: Jul 11, 2017 8:18 PM

It must have been amazing to spend all that money to get to Atlanta for the Superbowl just to watch your team get sent home with there “towels” between their legs by the Packers.

24. intrafinesse says: Jul 11, 2017 9:33 PM

So it’s ok to charge tens of thousands for PSLs but not ok to charge those same rich people high prices for hot dogs and beer?
    What a great humanitarian the Falcons organization is.

25. genericcommenter says: Jul 11, 2017 9:55 PM

Can’t even get that deal at A minor league baseball games, even the ones without Tim Tebow.

26. saints737 says: Jul 12, 2017 9:28 AM

The drive from New Orleans to Atlanta is 7.5 hours. No one other than the Flash or Superman are making it back before halftime.

Even a flight is 2+ hours

27. madddogg365 says: Jul 12, 2017 1:53 PM

saints737

Then you are a slow driver. 6 hours here………….I at least make it at the end of the 1st or beginning of the 2nd qtr. lol