Peyton Manning on golfing with President Trump: Un-American to turn down invite

Getty Images

Peyton Manning said although a lot of people tried to talk him out of golfing with President Donald Trump last month, he never hesitated in accepting the invitation.

“I heard Arnold Palmer say one time, ‘If the president of the United States ever asks you to play golf, you do it,'” Manning said on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Tuesday night. “It’s a no-brainer. It was a fantastic experience. We rode in the motorcade over [to the course], and I never felt safer playing golf.”

Manning, a Republican, also has played golf with President Bush. The former quarterback said he would have accepted an invitation from a Democratic president, too.

“I’ve had a chance to play with President Bush before,” Manning said. “If President Obama or President Clinton asked me, I’d be there in a heartbeat. It was just the experience of playing with the office that was pretty cool to me. And I think it would have been almost un-American to have said no.”

Permalink 88 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
88 Responses to “Peyton Manning on golfing with President Trump: Un-American to turn down invite”
  1. tylawspick6 says: Jul 12, 2017 6:30 PM

he is such a bible
    thumping, cheating, right wing nutball doofus

2. 4ever19 says: Jul 12, 2017 6:32 PM

No, Peyton. It’s not un-American. As an American, you have the right to decide with whom you will play golf. You can turn down an invitation from someone like T if you wish. It’s an invitation, not a command performance. Thought you would know that since you have something akin to a college degree.

3. dandevinesdog says: Jul 12, 2017 6:43 PM

Must have been quite the rare occasion to catch a round with Trump on a golf course.

4. cobrala2 says: Jul 12, 2017 6:44 PM

Our society can’t agree on what is American anymore.

5. zeke2517 says: Jul 12, 2017 6:46 PM

Drinkin’ that Trump Kool-aid. Tastes like pee.

6. Anicra says: Jul 12, 2017 6:55 PM

That is why Peyton Manning will be a Hall of Famer.

7. jxt2521 says: Jul 12, 2017 6:57 PM

By accepting all you did was give him another opportunity to golf and not work. I didn’t sign up for a president to watch tv, play golf and obsess over what people are saying about him. Whatever fear the corrupt career politicians had last year is gone.

8. goddfatherd says: Jul 12, 2017 7:00 PM

Play golf with whomever you want Peyton, but don the call me Un-American because I wouldn’t play golf with Putins stooge.

9. dukeearl says: Jul 12, 2017 7:01 PM

jxt2521 says:
    Jul 12, 2017 6:57 PM
    —————————–
    Evidently, you were fine with Obama taking all those vacations though….

10. Sypherman says: Jul 12, 2017 7:07 PM

I have to agree with Manning. As much as I despise former idiot-in-chief obama, I wouldn’t turn down an invitation to meet him or President Trump or any other former President. It’s not every day you get to meet someone the leads/lead the United States of America.

11. weepingjebus says: Jul 12, 2017 7:11 PM

Makes sense. Folks who disagree will pretend it’s due to some high minded moral stance and Le Resistance, but really they’re just terrified Trump would whip them just like he whipped Hillary and like he is whipping Obama’s junior varsity.

12. mrfrostyj says: Jul 12, 2017 7:15 PM

Peyton Manning is also best friends with the governor of Tennessee who’s family is under investigation for defrauding truckers millions of dollars and we all know his relationship with Papa John who is notorious for making elitist remarks publicly.

He has way more in common with Trump than he does anyone who ever bought a Payton Manning jersey so he’s absolutely right it’s not about politics with him. He’ll play golf with anyone as long as you have at least 1 million dollars in your bank account.

13. realfootballfan says: Jul 12, 2017 7:26 PM

Stop referring to that stooge as President. It taints the office. I have relatives who fought for this country, and we didn’t sign up for that to let Russians run our country. Ronald Reagan is rolling over in his grave.

14. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 12, 2017 7:32 PM

How about hurling with the President? That game originated in Scotland as well.

15. chiefsfolife says: Jul 12, 2017 7:32 PM

So the guy respects the Office of the President of the United States and some of you bash him. Unreal.

16. eramming says: Jul 12, 2017 7:34 PM

Trump doesn’t invite anyone except rich whites to golf with. This is not shocking.

17. niners816 says: Jul 12, 2017 7:35 PM

I didn’t think I could like Peyton anymore than I already do, and he says that! What a stud and he’s 100% right!

18. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 12, 2017 7:36 PM

Un-American not to indulge in a pastime that bored sheep herders came up with in the Highlands of Scotland a few hundred years before America was invented.

19. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 12, 2017 7:37 PM

Old Payments Manning don’t want to run afoul of the House On Un-American Activities commission.

20. tonyzendejas says: Jul 12, 2017 7:39 PM

News flash: the office of the POTUS has nothing to do with golfing.

21. mazenblue says: Jul 12, 2017 7:40 PM

Peyton is right

22. tfootball1234 says: Jul 12, 2017 7:45 PM

ok…fair enough.

23. finnymcphin says: Jul 12, 2017 7:46 PM

zeke2517 says:
    Jul 12, 2017 6:46 PM
    Drinkin’ that Trump Kool-aid. Tastes like pee.
    ————————————-

And you know this how?

24. metspeed21 says: Jul 12, 2017 7:49 PM

There’s no way I would have accepted, but he did what he thought was right. He’s the one who has to live with his conscience.

25. wolfiereasonedlife says: Jul 12, 2017 7:57 PM

I generally refuse social invites from sexual predators who collude with a hostile country against America. But I’m weird like that.

26. thrifty says: Jul 12, 2017 7:59 PM

eramming says:
    Jul 12, 2017 7:34 PM
    —————
    Stay classy – your own racism is showing.

27. tonyzendejas says: Jul 12, 2017 8:02 PM

Can you pro-game show host president guys start listing where you live, so I can never go within 100 miles of it?

28. jxt2521 says: Jul 12, 2017 8:03 PM

dukeearl says:
    Jul 12, 2017 7:01 PM

jxt2521 says:
    Jul 12, 2017 6:57 PM
    —————————–
    Evidently, you were fine with Obama taking all those vacations though….
    ———————–

try to change the subject all you want but it won’t change what we were promised and what we got. half a year, every advantage a president has ever had and only really things have been accomplished.

29. megnailsit says: Jul 12, 2017 8:10 PM

But Brady has to defend a “Make America Great Again” cap in his locker? Yet another Manning free pass.

30. genericcommenter says: Jul 12, 2017 8:11 PM

I’m not a Republican and have no problem with Peyton golfing with Trump.

31. edgerules says: Jul 12, 2017 8:14 PM

megnailsit says:
    Jul 12, 2017 8:10 PM

Amen to this.

32. abninf says: Jul 12, 2017 8:16 PM

tylawspick6 says:

he is such a bible
    thumping, cheating, right wing nutball doofus
    ===================================

^^ From the side that lectures everyone on tolerance and open mindedness.

33. patsandwannabees says: Jul 12, 2017 8:16 PM

Always respected Peyton. Even more after this. He didn’t cower to the pressure of being on Jimmy Kimmel who ,like all of Hollywoood, always beats on our president.
    What I also like is this sight who lets people vote anonymously for what they like, is very decidedly pro-Trump. You know, our President of These United States. Here, you can tell people you like Trump making America Great without being ridiculed by the nutty left.
    Look at the posts. More Trumpers than Looney Lefts. 😉

34. oscarxray says: Jul 12, 2017 8:18 PM

No one should have to defend voting for Trump,associating with him or even liking him. I wish Manning would have just said that.

35. sjoyner59 says: Jul 12, 2017 8:35 PM

Palmer of course was speaking of Pres Eisenhower who was a war hero in WW2 ,its different when your talking about a draft dodger like Trump who decided a guy like my dad could do 3 tours of duty in Vietnam in his place

36. drunkraider says: Jul 12, 2017 8:38 PM

tylawspick6 says:
    Jul 12, 2017 6:30 PM

he is such a bible
    thumping, cheating, right wing nutball doofus

————————
    Wouldnt that exact comment also work for your super hero brady?

or is this just another comment that makes no sense from you?

37. ibillwt says: Jul 12, 2017 8:41 PM

Manning is a Republican??!!

I have been embarrassed to be a Republican before by my party’s stand on environmental issues and abortion, but now Manning?!

I may have to join the party of free bubbleup and rainbow stew.

38. pkrlvr says: Jul 12, 2017 8:43 PM

——-
    And you know our country has truly gone to hell when people think Trump is an ok guy. Pathological liar who treats women as objects and seems to have a thing for his own daughter. Never seen a worse potus.

39. nobamano says: Jul 12, 2017 8:47 PM

tonyzendejas says:
    Jul 12, 2017 8:02 PM
    —————————————————–
    America.

40. stoptrippn says: Jul 12, 2017 8:47 PM

Peyton just remember most of the players (black) who helped you become so successful are not on trumps radar. He’s racist

41. nobamano says: Jul 12, 2017 8:54 PM

…………………………………………………………
    As opposed to Bill and Hillary? Hahahahaha

42. collectordude says: Jul 12, 2017 8:57 PM

pkrlvr says:
    Jul 12, 2017 8:43 PM
    ——-
    —————————————————–

You would have seen a MUCH worse one if Clinton had won.

43. cookerduff123 says: Jul 12, 2017 8:58 PM

I know what Peyton is trying to say here, and by and large I agree with him. Honestly, I’d be honored to play a round with any president in history except for the one in office now. And I lean right on many issues.

44. tonyzendejas says: Jul 12, 2017 9:04 PM

Watching the ESPYs presentation of the Pat Tillman award. Seeing all these military guys dedicated to a life of discipline, honor, and service. Then my mind goes back to their commander in chief, a man who has demonstrated no discipline, honor, or service at any point in his 71 years. And millions still defend him and what he stands for.

Pathetic.

45. Matt from San Diego says: Jul 12, 2017 9:11 PM

A former NFL Quarterback makes a remark about playing golf with the President of the United States on a corny late night show, and everybody throws a fit…

This speaks volumes to how disgusting we have become as a people. Any reason to lash out and tear each other down and many people capitalize on it.

Its just the insecurity and anger mixed with a lack of any virtues or a proper neutral education really. Its pretty vile though, reading these comments made me sick.

46. mnrasslinggovjesse says: Jul 12, 2017 9:19 PM

The country would have been much better off if we’d elected any pro golfer who stopped by to be President one or two days a week.

47. sceaglesfan says: Jul 12, 2017 9:19 PM

Trump bragged about sexually abusing women. Cannot imagine spending 5 hours with that.

48. donttrollonme says: Jul 12, 2017 9:24 PM

I love political posts on PFT, always bring out the normal demo on here.

Angry, White, 52 years old on average.

Ya’ll need to stop worrying about the “liberal boogeyman” and get back to reality. Sadly for our country, DJT is a major bust at POTUS. We elected a guy from reality TV and it’s not working out.

49. nhpats says: Jul 12, 2017 9:26 PM

pkrlvr says:
    Jul 12, 2017 8:43 PM
    ——-

——–

You just gave a perfect description of Bill Clinton

50. vegaskid21 says: Jul 12, 2017 9:32 PM

Man! I don’t care if it’s Trump, Barrack, Peyton, Brady, Tebow, Hitler, Jesus Christ. If someone invites me to a round of small ball, I’m in!!!

51. tecmoho says: Jul 12, 2017 9:35 PM

There was an awkward moment when Trump patted Peyton on the butt after a nice putt.

52. uncommon1 says: Jul 12, 2017 9:35 PM

I’ve seen many comments about how Trump treats women. Let’s not forget that when Forehead was at Tennessee he tea bagged an Athletic Trainer and then mocked her for the following months.

But hey, Prince Charming kissed a chick when she was passed out. Never hear Snow White complaining

53. absolutevisuals says: Jul 12, 2017 9:37 PM

That’s Un-American if we live in an authoritarian dictatorship.

54. nobamano says: Jul 12, 2017 9:40 PM

We defend whatever President is elected. I served while Clinton’s lying ass was Impeached. Still had to do my job. Luckily, I retired before Obama took office. List your idea of the recent Presidents (or even candidates) who displayed discipline, honor, or service. Bet it’d be a doozy. LOL

55. driftw00d says: Jul 12, 2017 9:40 PM

Comrade Manning, I think you mean it would be un-Russian.

56. codiablo says: Jul 12, 2017 9:42 PM

All good, except that one time she said no & he forced her to golf. Swaggy P

57. pilot2011 says: Jul 12, 2017 9:43 PM

After looking at the comments, I see it’s much like the election… the losers do all the talking, but the silent majority are still here.

Don’t worry boys, school is around the corner.

58. mrclutch5569 says: Jul 12, 2017 10:04 PM

Who wouldn’t hit the links with the leader of the free world? Idc if it’s Obama, Trump, or the Easter bunny, I’m gonna go play with a six pack regardless

59. mrclutch5569 says: Jul 12, 2017 10:05 PM

Point is stop making it political about everything

60. finnymcphin says: Jul 12, 2017 10:10 PM

tonyzendejas says:
    Jul 12, 2017 9:04 PM

Pathetic.
    —————————–

Neither Bill nor Hillary Clinton had any discipline or honor and neither of them ever served anyone but themselves but had Hillary won I doubt you would have found anyone defending her while she sold out every bit as fast as her husband did pathetic. This past election was as miserable as I can remember, the two major parties completely failed us. I literally wrote in ‘none of the above’

61. senatorblutarsky says: Jul 12, 2017 10:11 PM

dukeearl says:
    Jul 12, 2017 7:01 PM

jxt2521 says:
    Jul 12, 2017 6:57 PM
    —————————–
    Evidently, you were fine with Obama taking all those vacations though….
    ________________________

We taxpayers have been nicked for more money for trump and his family’s vacations in his first six months than all of President Obama’s eight years of service.

62. FreewayJim says: Jul 12, 2017 10:14 PM

wolfiereasonedlife says:
    Jul 12, 2017 7:57 PM

_________________________

I hear ya bro, I would not golf with Bill Clinton either.

63. senatorblutarsky says: Jul 12, 2017 10:17 PM

weepingjebus says:
    Jul 12, 2017 7:11 PM

______________________

In what alternative reality do you live? trump is unqualified, totally confused and overmatched for the job. He’s what happens when you hire a janitor to perform brain surgery.

64. charger383 says: Jul 12, 2017 10:20 PM

I like P Manning and Trump, I do not like H Clinton or Kapernick

65. idoubtiwillbother says: Jul 12, 2017 10:21 PM

This is the guy who asked permission to wear black high tops in honor of Unitas and then didn’t when the uniform police said no.

66. pantherhomer says: Jul 12, 2017 10:22 PM

For all the dolts that are commenting on their dislike for the current President, you are missing the point Manning attempted to make. Regardless of the party affiliation of the President extending the invitation, he would play because of the honor of playing with the office holder regardless of party affiliation. Sounds like class to me, certainly more so than some of the tripe I’ve just read in the comments above.

67. r502 says: Jul 12, 2017 10:24 PM

Trump has right wingers saint Ronny Reagan rolling over in his grave being so cozy with a KGB scumbag like Putin.

68. senatorblutarsky says: Jul 12, 2017 10:24 PM

finnymcphin says:
    Jul 12, 2017 7:46 PM

zeke2517 says:
    Jul 12, 2017 6:46 PM
    Drinkin’ that Trump Kool-aid. Tastes like pee.
    ————————————-

And you know this how?
    ___________________

Some average undereducated core trump backer told him.

69. senatorblutarsky says: Jul 12, 2017 10:28 PM

metspeed21 says:
    Jul 12, 2017 7:49 PM

___________________

What conscience? This coward threw his wife under the bus to save his own skin.

70. senatorblutarsky says: Jul 12, 2017 10:35 PM

thrifty says:
    Jul 12, 2017 7:59 PM

eramming says:
    Jul 12, 2017 7:34 PM
    —————
    Stay classy – your own racism is showing.
    ______________________

I agree with eramming. trump is a racist and I’m a white millionaire. Now what?

71. senatorblutarsky says: Jul 12, 2017 11:00 PM

sjoyner59 says:
    Jul 12, 2017 8:35 PM

____________________

trump is a coward. Upon being handed a Purple Heart from a misguided veteran, trump said that he always wanted one. Someone should have told him that you have to be wounded in the service of your country to earn one. Not have your daddy phony up a medical deferment for you with his unethical doctor.

72. dynasonic says: Jul 12, 2017 11:08 PM

That would be un-American comrade!

73. imageflood says: Jul 12, 2017 11:19 PM

patsandwannabees says:
    Jul 12, 2017 8:16 PM

Look at the posts. More Trumpers than Looney Lefts.

******

No, more like normal people don’t go to PFT to get political views, but only because they just enjoy football and can deal with all the other bs elsewhere. That leaves the paranoid maniacs who can’t tell the difference between hitting a thumb’s up on PFT from pro wrestling from geopolitics and macroeconomics.

74. charliecharger says: Jul 12, 2017 11:45 PM

What if the president was a draft dodger? Don’t you have any respect for our military? Geez Peyton. I thought you were more respectable. Maybe Putin will join you next time.

75. taintedsaints2009 says: Jul 13, 2017 12:56 AM

Pants: peed

76. manzoa says: Jul 13, 2017 3:28 AM

Pathetic.
    __________________________

And yet active armed service members voted overwhelmingly for Trump. Obama disrespected the military for 8 years while Trump has expressed time and again his support for our men and women in uniform. Let me guess, either you never served or you were in the Coast Guard.

77. mmmpierogi says: Jul 13, 2017 7:49 AM

chiefsfolife says:
    Jul 12, 2017 7:32 PM

*********************************************************************

Do you realize that the President IS NOT the same as, and does not even exist within, the Office of the President? The Office of the President is the staff that supports the President; under this administration, headed by Priebus. It’s separate from the President.

I’ve seen multiple supporters of the current administration throw this “Office of the President” thing around when trying to make an argument (usually trying to call people unpatriotic). It’s a poor argument on multiple grounds, primarily because it doesn’t even make sense.

78. woodbridgekid73 says: Jul 13, 2017 8:28 AM

PFT: Hates Trump, Hates the Redskins and hates America.

79. woodbridgekid73 says: Jul 13, 2017 8:34 AM

By doing some causal polling of the thumbs on this post it would seem that Trump is an extremely popular president and that the majority of Americans think he is doing an awesome job. Wonder why PFT is always bashing him then?

80. woodbridgekid73 says: Jul 13, 2017 8:36 AM

Does Hillary even know how to play golf?

81. metitometin says: Jul 13, 2017 9:57 AM

Trump is a traitor that hates this country and everyone in it and everything it stands for. Why would anyone want to golf with a traitor that hates America?

82. bosszaraki says: Jul 14, 2017 5:36 AM

Trump apologists being Trump apologists. Wonder if Papa John was there

83. webbiewebs3 says: Jul 14, 2017 6:19 AM

I think Trump is suffering from a lot of systemic richism. I am inventing a new term and definition. He is simply getting a lot of hate because he is rich and people wish they were as rich as he is. Because they are not they will bash on every single thing he does.

He’s created more jobs in this country before he was President and while in office than Obama has in his entire life. The economy is actually improving.

People are just mad that he just doesn’t sit there and take it from these phony talking heads on TV when they bash him and try to make friends with them like former Republicans would try to do. It has never worked in the past. These people will never like you because they are too busy thinking that you must be a racist if you are a Republican and you aren’t who they wanted in office. Trump realizes this and will simply hit back. Good. Do more of it. I am tired of wimps trying to be too PC.

84. jjackwagon says: Jul 14, 2017 9:05 AM

The left still doesn’t take responsibility for getting him elected(but that’s who they are…its always someone else’s fault).
    If they had offered a viable alternative, Trump would not be President.

85. imodan says: Jul 14, 2017 12:06 PM

mrclutch5569 says:
    Jul 12, 2017 10:04 PM
    ————————————————————-
    True, love to play a round with France’s President Emmanuel Macron.

86. imodan says: Jul 14, 2017 12:17 PM

weepingjebus says:
    Jul 12, 2017 7:11 PM
    ————————————————————–
    Only in Trump world is losing the popular vote by 3 million votes, despite every intelligence agency in America telling them a foreign adversarial government interfered on Trumps behalf, defined as a whipping. A difference of less than 100,000 votes in a handful of key electoral college states determined the outcome. Given that we know at least 21 states election systems were hacked it isn’t a stretch at all to wonder if those results are legitimate at all. As for Obamas JV team? They are hot on the trail and won’t the Trump world supporters be apoplectic when Trump does his best Nixon impression as he slips into history. BTW, Go Pats! See? Trump even has Pat’s fans divided, lol

87. mikespillane337 says: Jul 14, 2017 12:18 PM

All these trump haters said they would leave if he became president…waiting.

88. yourunclerico says: Jul 15, 2017 8:33 AM

Nothing for him to apologize for. Trump is one of the best presidents we have ever had.
    all you little melting snowflakes can suck it.
    you lost.
    no participation trophy for you!