Tony Romo squashes talk of an NFL comeback

AP

For the first time, Tony Romo said he is retired . . . and staying retired.

Three months ago, when he announced he was joining CBS, the former Cowboys quarterback left at least a 1 percent chance he would return to the NFL. On Wednesday, while making the rounds to promote the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship, Romo squashed any thought about a football comeback.

“Oh yeah, probably a good chance. We’ll see how it plays out. I think you’ll find — I’m joking,” Romo said on NFL Network when asked about a comeback. “Like I said before, I’m done.”

Actually, what he said before — in April — was, “I wish I could tell you unequivocally, 100 percent, for the rest of my life, I’ll never play any sports at all. I don’t envision coming back. But I’ve also seen enough things, you know, from [coach Nick Saban’s] ‘I’m not going to Alabama’ to [Brett Favre’s] ‘I’m done playing football,’ that happen in life.” Later in the press conference, Romo added that his retirement is “about 99 percent” certain.

Cowboys quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson added speculation about Romo’s future when Wilson said it would be “fun to speculate” about a Romo return if anything happens to Dak Prescott. Romo, though, said Wednesday his focus is on becoming a TV analyst.

“I’m pretty happy and excited about the opportunity that was presented to me,” Romo said. “I got coach [and veteran CBS play-by-play man] Jim Nantz teaching me all the tricks of the trade that I’m going to be behind on, but I’m improving fast. I’m excited about it. It gives me a chance to compete, get better and improve. I get to be passionate about the game, hopefully teach a little bit, hopefully make it a little bit entertaining along the way. It’s going to be fun.”

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Tony Romo squashes talk of an NFL comeback”
  1. nobamano says: Jul 12, 2017 8:37 PM

Bet there’s talk of the HOF for this dude in 5 years. You’d think he had 6 rings. smdh

2. bspurloc says: Jul 12, 2017 8:57 PM

romo has 0 accomplishments.

Mark Sanchez has more playoff wins than this nobody

3. ramit1 says: Jul 12, 2017 9:22 PM

I remember it well. Watching the seahawks play the cowboys in the wildcard game some ten years ago. My friend, a huge cowboys fan, said just after romo flubbed the snap to lose the game, romo never wins a playoff game. And now it is official.

4. kayes says: Jul 12, 2017 9:25 PM

McNabb is much more qualified for the HOF than Romo, and McNabb belongs in the ‘very good’ HOF.

5. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Jul 12, 2017 9:33 PM

Come back??
    Haha, ya he’s really a hot commodity. He could come back and bring a handful of teams a .500 record.
    I hope he does come back, I would relish the chance to see him choke again.

6. co99622 says: Jul 12, 2017 9:36 PM

That’s pretty rich. That nobody is in your head enough that it got you to take time out of your day to read an article about him and make a post about him. I don’t think he’s ever posted about you nor has he read an article about you. What does that say about you?

7. mychode says: Jul 12, 2017 11:10 PM

I bet he’ll suck on CBS.

8. medialovesthecowboys says: Jul 12, 2017 11:15 PM

Wow, is the hate ever real. Put this guy in another uniform for his career , and he gets nowhere near this kind of backlash. However:

– Dated Jessica Simpson in her prime
    – Married a beauty queen
    – Played the most high profile position for one of the most high profile sports teams in the world.
    – Earned zillions

I’m sure he cares what you think, though.

9. noknoknokpenny says: Jul 13, 2017 5:10 AM

If Eli Manning belongs in the HoF then Romo does, too.

Romo was clearly a better QB.

10. jammer88 says: Jul 13, 2017 5:48 AM

On 3, ready? 1 and da 2 and da 3; WHO F’N CARES! Romo is a has been that never was.

11. gizzmonic says: Jul 13, 2017 6:44 AM

2 letters and he is BOZO

12. coloradofort says: Jul 13, 2017 7:00 AM

He’s been retired for years…..Romo is brittle and his career is over…..lets just stop this talk