Giants’ Brandon Marshall abruptly walks out on radio interview

Getty Images

Giants receiver Brandon Marshall did not enjoy a line of questioning during a WEEI interview this morning, and so he walked off the set.

The interview started off amicably enough, with Marshall talking about his former teams and NFL experiences. But when Marshall was asked about his 2015 comment that white players and black players are treated differently, Marshall wasn’t pleased.

“I’m not getting into the race card with you guys,” Marshall said. “So if that’s what you guys want to do you can go there, but black guys in America get treated differently, period. I’ll just say that. Black guys in America get treated differently.”

Asked if professional athletes specifically get treated differently based on skin color, Marshall got upset.

“We done with this interview? Can I get off of this interview? Alright, I’m done with you guys,” Marshall said. “Come on, man, you’re going back to a year ago, brother. You guys made news now. You got Brandon Marshall to say black guys get treated differently and I’m going to drop the mic on you guys. . . . Change the subject or I’m getting off. I’m dropping the mic.”

The interviewers then began to ask a question about his history of domestic violence, although Marshall walked out before the question could be finished.

“If you had been accused of what you’ve been accused of in the past,” the interviewers began, before Marshall said, “Oh, s–t. I’m done with you guys. Bye.”

The interviewers then began to say they had wanted to ask Marshall “about the Ray Rice stuff, his own off-field problems, he has a history of assaulting women,” but by that point Marshall had already taken off his headphones and walked away.

83 responses to “Giants’ Brandon Marshall abruptly walks out on radio interview

1. He said he did not want to talk about it, they persisted and he left. He should not get any flak for this. All on the interviewers.

2. Not a huge fan of Brandon Marshall, but I’m less of a fan of parasited like WEEI this who try to grab quotes on racism to make sure the pot continues to be stirred.

3. Anybody who denies “black guys are treated differently”, is not of this planet. To come back & ask if it’s true in the NFL, is stupid. If it is true for America, isn’t the NFL part of America?

Admit the obvious and move on.

4. typical of the new show, with Minehane claiming he is “80% of the talent”…Just hot takes, Trump-bashing, and ignorant social commentary.

5. “black guys in America get treated differently, period.”

Many people in America are treated differently, based on race, religion, political or social standing, income, credit score…

The problem is, everyone in this country wants someone or something to blame for their lot in life.

Grow up. Rise above. All of you/us.

6. Good move, Brandon. Talk football or shut it down. All they wanted were some juicy quotes and y’all had the stones to do what anyone in that position should do. At least you didn’t refer the jerks to your outside attorney.

7. On it’s face it seems like BM was being a DB, but I wouldn’t want to participate in that debate just so a show can get ratings either.

8. If it was EEI in the morning, they were Callahan, and Minihan doing the interview. Both are the lowest of the low when it comes to CREATING a story. They do this all the time. They are smarmy, self absorbed and very politically right wing. Hate/angry radio would be a good name for what they do. Juat another example of “its all about me mediots”. They won’t care that Marshall walked off, it will be a talking point for weeks for them.

I haven’t listened to them in years. Many have joined me. The used to rule the moring, but for the last few years 98.5 has passed them comsistently.

9. Regardless of how legit the questions may be they’re delivered illegitimately by a few jerks.

I’m not a fan of his but I am less of a fan of Yank sports radio like that.

Some of you can say ‘Welcome to NY’ etc. but newsflash for the likeminded; yanks only get uglier the longer they pride themselves on that played out rudeness. Move on. Let it go.

10. Why in the world did his people book him on EEI? Its the KKK of radio, the people who listen to that station are the ones in fenway screaming the N word to opposing players…this is what they do….smart of him not to play their game but he should have never agreed to speak with them in the first place….chalk it up to lesson learned and hope other athletes stay away….

11. Wow Marshall and Beckham in the same locker room can’t wait to see the giants go up in flames gonna be great

12. Marshall is a domestic abuser and a racist, which is why he walked off.

An absolute cancer in a locker room. He’s destroyed every team he’s ever played for.

13. When you act different, you get treated as such. But I don’t agree with that narrative. When you act civilized no one looks at you differently. When you act a fool, get treated like one.

14. Kirk Minehan so pissed off Michael Lombardi with his uncomfortable questions that he quit the weekly interview on the show during the NFL season.

Tom Brady is a weekly regular on the show the day after a game and Minehan will ask him uncomfortable questions also . Unlike Brandon Marshall and Michael Lombardi, Tom Brady can take it though and responds well.

15. Callahan has made the show unlistenable. He’s a crotchetty old “get off my lawn” windbag who projects his flaws and biases on other people to make himself feel more secure. WEEI made the change to let him focus on politics to take advantage of the heated political climate for increased ratings, which is good for business, I suppose, but bad for quality. I wish they’d just stick to sports, though they do at least still offer that at WEEI with the mid-late afternoon crew.

16. It could have been worse, Brandon – they could have brought up you being a root cause of Darrent Williams being gunned down.

17. They have every right to ask controversial questions, and he has every right to refuse to answer and walk out.

18. Marshall is a wannabe wanker of the highest order. Just because you said it a year ago means its not something legitimate to talk about Brandon?

Most people forget this sleezebag’s story. Arrested for domestic violence several times. Fact. Physically assaulted his former live in girlfriend as well as his current wife. Fact. Helped contribute to the murder of Darrant Williams by proviking a fight among gang members in a bar in Denver. Fact.

No Brandon you are just a spoiled rotten chump that has not clue how truly great you have it. Just shut up and go away

19. Brandon, time to put on your big shoes and own up to your past. What did you think they were going to ask you? Your favorite color? Do you like puppies? YOU made the comments they asked you about. YOU have a history of domestic violence. YOU were there when Darrent Williams was killed.

20. alan226 says:
    Jul 13, 2017 12:10 PM

5 1

————————-

Ouch. Forgot about that one. I love how Broncos fans act all high and mighty, but many other organizations have also been victim of questionable characters. It’s not just the Pats and Hernandez.

Brandon Marshall is a phony. Period. I don’t buy his act for one millisecond.

21. How many teams have given this guy a chance, only to desperately attempt to get rid of him? He’s a locker room cancer everywhere he goes.

22. Not specifically a Brandon Marshall fan, but radio interviews are meant to be beneficial for both sides. Grating the nerves of the guy on the other side of the desk never really works well.

In context though, K&C were asking about Brady being treated differently during DeflateGate. BM should have been able to substantiate his race bias comments without being defensive and insulted, especially since he has, in his own words a “man-crush” on TB12.

I’m thinking that K&C needed to angle their questions a bit more instead of being so direct. The interview probably would have gone over better with actual insights revealed.

23. Marshall has to realize that Boston is the most raciest city in the USA and has to expect questions like that. Boston still has no clue who Abraham Lincoln is.

24. The disingenuous nature of how the media and fans apply certain expectations or rules only to the Pats, while giving other teams special considerations in these discussions, is a joke.

Brandon Marshall is a phony. Period. I don’t buy his act for one millisecond.

Leave it to a Pat’s troll to manage to make this about them.

You speak very mean toward Marshall as if you know him personally….oh that’s right you are the hateful lost troll without family or friends…pitiful waste of oxygen.

25. daubs17 says:
    Jul 13, 2017 11:50 AM

6 2

————–

I always wondered how others who are freaked by these types of people on a tv set, actually feel about working with these kinds of people.

Watching Ray Lewis on my tv screen is flat out creepy.

26. I’m hard core pats fan.

I get all my patriots news from WEEI.

And if I had my way no patriots players would never give them another interview that is how bad they are.

27. EEI is awful.

They let Ordway go like 10 years too late and now he’s back a million years too early.

Minihan is an arrogant, silver spoon, Howard Stern wannabe tool and Callahan is a crotchety old bigot.

They actually put John – fiction writer – Tomase on the radio as well. Great program directing there…..NOT.

Worst lineup of radio hacks going in Boston.

I’m glad Marshall dropped the mic on them. They deserve nothing less

28. EEI is terrible. Waste of broadcasting airwaves.
    That show did it for the ratings. Apologize to Marshall.

29. “typical of the new show, with Minehane claiming he is “80% of the talent”…Just hot takes, Trump-bashing, and ignorant social commentary.”

———————–

Trump bashing? lol, the entire show is Callahan slobbering for him. Sports are secondary.

30. Nofoolnodrool- how them steelers doing buddy? PS stay away from Big Bens bathroom. you know what happens in there!

31. tylawspick6 says:
    Jul 13, 2017 10:09 AM
    biggest tool in the nfl (next to bruce arians)
    —————————————————–

If by “tool” you mean smart enough to leave a bad interview instead of doing/saying something stupid, then yes. He’s a tool.

32. This is exactly the hypocrisy that Patriots’ fans get upset about. Poor Marshall is a victim here, bullied by the media about some innocent comment Marshall himself made a year ago. Meanwhile, evil Brady is a spineless coward for not telling the darling media what he thinks about Trump’s controversial tweets and statements, or Alex Guerrero’s past, or his wife’s comments (in other words things that other people have said or done).

As for Marshall himself, he said that white players, especially QBs, are treated differently by the league in the wake of Brady’s suspension. I guess he meant to say that if black QBs like Newton and Bridgewater for example would be involved in some controversy regarding footballs they’d be heavily investigated and if Ted Wells concluded that more probably than not both QBs were at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities of their ballboys, they’d be suspended at least for a season or even banned from the sport. Oh, wait….

33. straighcashhomey says:
    Jul 13, 2017 2:33 PM

3 0

What are 12? Still stuck on the bathroom and body parts humor? I guess that is all a room temp IQ will support.

Weei is the Patriots station….no surprise they are jerks….just part of the Patriots way.

34. tylawspick6 says:
    Jul 13, 2017 10:09 AM

biggest tool in the nfl (next to bruce arians)

————————————————————

Trolling another Giants story, I see> Most Pats fans haven’t gotten past their Giants hatred already, but not you obviously.

I understand why you chose the name “tylawspick6” though. You weren’t able to use “AsantesamuelSB42pick” for obvious reasons.

35. Most Pats fans HAVE gotten over it. My apologies to the Pats fans that I respect. Yes, there are many. Not all, but many.

36. aggression44 says:
    Jul 13, 2017 10:53 AM

—————————————–

This guy, effectively calling black men “uncivilized.” But don’t worry, none of the commenters are racist.

37. I heard this interview live.

I like Brandon Marshall. I was eager to hear him on a Boston radio station and the interview began quite well.

I am no fan of Kirk Minihane, but I did not find his questioning to be rude and I had not problem with Marshall’s decision to not answer.

I got the sense that because he was at a charity golf event, Marshall was not expecting an in depth interview.

K&C were as surprised by his response as he was by the line of questioning.

It is too bad it all went south. Marshall is a thoughtful young man, I would have liked to have heard his answers to their questions.

38. Hey it’s a Boston station..shocker. Classic Mass-hole sports jock jabronis asking completely irrelevant questions and getting the response they pretty much had coming.

39. I don’t blame them for the first question. You never know, maybe he’s okay to talk about it. But once he made it clear he didn’t want to go there, it was utterly classless of them to turn the interview into a hatchet piece.

40. I don’t know the particulars of the radio station but generally speaking, the media asks insipid questions not caring for the answer so much as hearing themselves talk.

I think the hardest part of being a pro athlete, in any sport, would be dealing with the sheer stupidity of the press. I would try to avoid talking to them at all costs and just focus on my sport.

41. Not a fan of Marshall or the Giants, but this feels like an ambush. He was right to walk.

42. That particular show is more about supporting certain political figures, race baiting and “hot takes” than actual sports. Their main goal is to insult whomever they’re interviewing for clicks and mentions.

43. So it is not okay to ask him about the things this man has said in the past and done in the past.

And he’s right, black men do get treated differently if they are major sports athletes because instead of being in jail for the things he’s done he’s still making millions of dollars in the NFL.

Yeah, he showed them how much of a man he was by crying and leaving a show instead of standing up for the comments he made and explaining himself on his domestic violence past. He could have used it as a platform for education and healing. Instead he left like a crybaby and now let those interviewers make the narrative.

44. I am allowed to present you with my views and comments, but you are allowed to judge me or question them, or I will take my ball and go home!

45. daubs17 says:
    Jul 13, 2017 11:50 AM

This is literally what he did, yet you seem upset about it.

46. I almost feel bad for the Giants having to deal with Marshall and Beckham in the same locker room.

Almost.

Maybe Marshall can help diagnose OBJ and his mental issues… so who knows? Something good could come out of the desperation signing of an old, bi-polar, has been WR.

In a way, the inability of Reese to draft good players has forced the Giants to bring in somebody who might help one of the few good picks Reese has made in the past half decade or so.