Mike Zimmer threatened Michael Floyd with release if he lied

Getty Images

Mike Zimmer wasn’t sure whether to believe Michael Floyd’s Kombucha tea defense, but the Vikings coach made it clear to the receiver the consequences of lying.

Zimmer talked to Floyd over the phone soon after Floyd violated terms of his house arrest by failing three self-administered Breathalyzer tests June 10-11. Floyd claimed he drank several bottles of Kombucha tea, unaware it contains alcohol.

“Do I believe it? I don’t know how much tea he drank. I have no clue,” Zimmer told the newspaper. “I don’t have any doubt why there’d be skepticism, but he told me that he wasn’t [drinking]. That it was legit.”

The Vikings defended Floyd, whom they signed to a one-year, $1.4 million contract as a free agent, after news broke about Floyd’s positive tests for alcohol. Scottsdale City Judge Statia Hendrix found Floyd in violation and sentenced him to one day in jail.

Floyd had his disciplinary hearing with NFL officials last month. He faces a minimum two-game unpaid suspension under the leagues’s substance abuse policy, but the extreme DUI conviction from December in Arizona could draw greater punishment.

51 responses to “Mike Zimmer threatened Michael Floyd with release if he lied

1. Four game suspension then he’ll be back for the final 15 games as the Vikings #4 or #5 receiver. Yikes, this team is DEEP.

2. blowfishes says:
    Jul 13, 2017 5:39 PM

So it now takes the NFL over a month between having a disciplinary hearing and handing out any punishment…
    __________________________________

That would be funny to Ezekiel Elliot….

3. the “Kambucha defense” would be blown apart if he were a regular joe. Most Kambucha drinks have a max of one half percent of alcohol and anything over requires a label stating its an alcoholic beverage. the average beer has 4.5% or 9 times the alcohol content in 12 ounces of kambucha. a 220 pound man would be legally drunk at .08 blood alcohol level after 4 beers in an hour. and .08 slides down .015 per hour that passes without drinking. So to get to .05 you’d have to drink about 16-18 bottles of this highly concentrated fermented drink in about an hour. Thats like drinking a bottle a vinegar. He’d be puking his guts out and sick as bleep. Even if he was drinking 2% Kambucha and put down 4-5 12 oz drinks in an hour he’d be sick as bleep. good luck Michael Floyd.

4. angelogiaquinto18 says:
    Jul 13, 2017 5:33 PM
    I do like Zim’s no-nonsense approach! How many other coaches would be that honest?

—————————-

You can’t be serious. He is clearly not dumb enough to believe Floyd’s flimsy excuse. He’d have to be an imbecile to buy it. He’s simply talking tough while making an excuse to not cut a guy that he thinks might help his team.

5. I’m a Notre Dame fan because both my brothers went there… Floyd and Golden Tate were a helluva WR combination. I thought Floyd was going to be waaaaaay better than Golden Tate. Boy was I wrong. I wish Tate was still on the Seahawks and I wish Floyd would get his act together and actually work hard. All that natural talent is just going to waste.

6. Zimmer might have said it, he clearly didn’t mean a word of it since applying any level of scientific scrutiny to his Kombucha tea defense would have exposed Floyd for the liar that he is.

But you need to cut Zimmer some slack here, he needs a decent WR and his GM is so delusional that he spent a first round draft pick on Treadslow. So Zimmer has to play the tough guy role for the local media and hope that Floyd’s suspension doesn’t go too long or hanging on to 3rd place will be difficult with any improvement from the Bears.

7. how does a head coach of the NFL believe that pile of lies. Floyd could sell him the London Bridge in a week.
    Floyd would have had to have 2.5 gallons of the stuff in under an hour to hit that alcohol level.

8. Most tea and citrus drinks have a trace amount of alcohol. So does coke. You’d have to drink more than would kill you before your blood got to those levels. The good news for Floyd is that there is very little chance Zimmer could find out he’s lying after he bought the initial story. He just can’t get caught again.

9. A short while back the Vikings claimed they had this tea in their locker room for the players. Gee did they find out if that was true they would be in a lot of trouble,but then again this organization isn’t to smart.

10. As a Packer fan, it gets harder and harder for me to root against the Vikings when Zimmer keeps doing old-school, no nonsense type stuff.

It was so much easier in the Love Boat era.

11. “Four game suspension then he’ll be back for the final 15 games ”

Lolz the last 4 they’ll be watching from their couches

And you’d have to be an idiot to believe Floyd wasn’t lying, of course he was

12. angelogiaquinto18 says:

—————————-

If Floyd had had a decent 2016, he would have signed a a really big deal, say, 4 years, $10 million per year, but he got trashed, fell asleep at the wheel and blew like a .20-and in case you don’t know, that’s really really drunk.

Floyd did lie, see above, and Zimmer just wants ANY OUT to keep a potential $10 million receiver for $1.35.

But integrity? “No nonsense”? You’re either joking or delirious.

13. I really can’t remember the last time I lied but there’s no way i’d lie to that guy. Not even if he were blind!

14. There should be more coaches like that, I don’t care how much talent the player has.In the NFL,stars skate, and low roster players get cut. No one is bigger than the team in the ultimate team sport.Kudos to you, Mike Zimmer.

15. irishgary says: Zimmer is a complete tool
    …………………………..

Your one of those irish that doesn’t drink whisky right?

16. “I said, ‘If I find out you’re lying to me, I’m going to cut you,’ ” Zimmer told Brian Murphy of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.”

Seems a bit aggressive, just kick him off the team.

17. He was tested everyday at a minimum of six times per day for the prior 3 months. Hard to believe he thought he could get away with it but I am highly skeptical about Kombucha Tea as a defense given the .055 test result. This will be interesting.

18. So if Floyd told Zimmer he really did have a few drinks, would Zimmer come forward and tell the public Floyd lied? Or would he stick to this defense and hope Floyd straightens out?

19. DugoutDirtbag says:
    Jul 14, 2017 6:36 AM

irishgary says: Zimmer is a complete tool
    …………………………..

Your one of those irish that doesn’t drink whisky right?

_________________________________

Yes you are right for once.

20. angelogiaquinto18 says:
    Jul 13, 2017 5:33 PM
    ——————–

Are you serious? skoLOL!
    How many no-nonsense coaches do you know that would allow their defensive backfield to deviate from the game plan they’ve been practicing all week and freelance an entire first half?

And then refuse to level any consequences whatsoever.
    No-nonsense indeed!

21. ‘If I find out you’re lying to me, I’m going to cut you,’

This is exactly the same thing some innocent stuffed animals heard last season before being disemboweled by this mad man.

22. patriotway says:
    Jul 13, 2017 6:38 PM

_______________________

A more reasonable person might conclude that he is very skeptical of Floyd’s excuse and is putting him a very short leash.

23. Can someone please the self administered breath tests to me…he gave himself breath tests and failed? How does that work?

24. I have no doubt he was drinking Kambucha tea. I think the issue is what was he mixing it with?

25. Can someone please the self administered breath tests to me…he gave himself breath tests and failed? How does that work?
    ___________________________
    He has a breathalyzer in his home that he’s required to blow into by the Judge from his first Extreme DUI.

Not sure on the requirements in this case, but when my uncle had one he was to blow into it every 4 or 6 hours. When he was blowing into it, it would take his picture to prove it was him blowing into it.

Fail the self administered test even once, you get more time, punishment, etc.

26. All joking aside, if Floyd is failing self-administered breathalyzers at his home while under house arrest, he’s got a serious drinking problem and the Vikes aren’t doing him any favors by enabling him with these lies.

27. patriotway says:
    Jul 13, 2017 6:38 PM
    angelogiaquinto18 says:
    Jul 13, 2017 5:33 PM

—————————-

\\\\\\\\\\\\\

This.

Is the correct answer.

On a side note,

Even patriot fans are coming over to enjoy picking on the vikings……

Jets too boring this summer? That’s fine. we don’t mind the help.

Signed,

Packers fans….

P.S.

See you in February.

LOLOLOL

28. stellarperformance says:
    Jul 14, 2017 6:50 AM
    Desperate people do desperate things. And I’m not talking about Floyd.
    —————–

29. stellarperformance says:
    Jul 14, 2017 6:50 AM
    Desperate people do desperate things. And I’m not talking about Floyd.
    —————–
    That is how Eddie Lacy must have felt last year with all that fat shaming going on. Thank goodness he is in a better place now. 🙂