Mike Zimmer still waiting for clearance to fly after eighth eye surgery

Getty Images

Eight is enough, at least for Vikings coach Mike Zimmer and eye surgeries.

Zimmer is still having some trouble with his problematic right eye, and might not be cleared to fly back to Minnesota from his offseason home in Kentucky. He told Brian Murphy of the St. Paul Pioneer Press that the gas bubble which stabilizes his retina was supposed to dissolve two weeks ago, but hasn’t yet. He’s going to see doctors in Cincinnati next week to determine whether he can resume flying, or whether he’ll have to drive back to the Twin Cities.

“There’s no lens in the eye, so all I can see is shapes,” Zimmer said. “Once this bubble goes out, I can get a contact supposedly to see.”

Doctors could insert a permanent lens, but he waved that off, saying: “Which we’re not going to do that. We’re not having more surgeries.”

Vikings head athletic trainer Eric Sugarman said Zimmer’s eyesight should return close to 20/20 with a contact lens.

While Zimmer has tried to keep his coaching routine during the problems, he insists he didn’t do anything to set back his own progress by working.

“This is the God’s honest truth,” he said. “I didn’t do anything that the doctor didn’t tell me to do. If they told me to go and lay flat for 24 hours, I did. I laid down face-first on the massage table. He never told me once I couldn’t look at film.”

Sugarman called Zimmer “a perfect patient.”

“He did everything appropriately,” Sugarman said. “I made sure he followed the rules. People have this perception that the reason he’s had eight surgeries is because he didn’t follow the rules. I don’t think that’s a fair assessment of what happened. I also think it’s fair to say there’s no surgeon who screwed up.”

Zimmer had to miss a game because of the eye problems last year, and he hopes that he’s approaching the point where he can resume normally. For now, on his farm, he’s fine, though he wears protective goggles when he’s out riding around his property.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Mike Zimmer still waiting for clearance to fly after eighth eye surgery”
  1. stucats says: Jul 14, 2017 8:03 AM

Mike Z is one tough s.o.b., to have 8 surgeries on the same eye must be very stressful.

I really respect coach Z, I remember when he was the d-coordinator in Dallas, all the players loved him & I can see why.

good luck coach Z!

2. ragnarthegreat says: Jul 14, 2017 8:53 AM

I wanted to make a funny remark about closing his eyes anyway when the offensive line took the field, but I realized that there is really nothing funny in all of this. I wouldn’t want to live with the idea that at any moment I could lose one of my faculties. Good luck coach. I am a Vikings fan, but even if I wasn’t, I would want this to end well for you.

3. therealtrenches says: Jul 14, 2017 9:56 AM

Zim just needs to start wearing a badass eye patch full time and be done with it.

Seriously, though, get well, Zim. Our health is everything.

4. The Phantom Stranger says: Jul 14, 2017 10:44 AM

“He never told me once I couldn’t look at film.”
    ____

That may have been assumed…

5. mudachains says: Jul 14, 2017 11:57 AM

He has his eye on Michael Floyd-

6. somethinsbruin says: Jul 14, 2017 2:24 PM

I’ve had this surgery before. You have to spend 24 hours a day for 2 weeks staring at the floor. Its awful. I’d wish him a speedy recovery but that ship sailed 7 surgeries ago. Get well Mike.

7. filthymcnasty3 says: Jul 14, 2017 6:38 PM

He never had any eye issues in Cincy.

8. frank booth says: Jul 14, 2017 7:14 PM

stucats says:
    Jul 14, 2017 8:03 AM
    good luck coach Z!
    ===================================
    He’s no tougher than other people who have multiple surgeries, cancer, etc.

9. dcviking says: Jul 14, 2017 8:24 PM

frank booth says:
    Jul 14, 2017 7:14 PM

——————————

But he is tougher than people who use names of psychopathic characters from movies because they think it makes sound edgy when they post on a football message board….

10. frank booth says: Jul 14, 2017 8:41 PM

It’s fun to read the knee-jerk reactions of those who think you can know what a person is like or what his motivations are over the internet on the basis of a screen name,

11. dcviking says: Jul 15, 2017 11:47 AM

It’s funny to think that people believe what they post or say over time doesn’t contribute to other’s views of them, and yet they still can’t figure out why somebody has a negative view of them….

12. frank booth says: Jul 15, 2017 5:10 PM

Yep. I spend my nights awake wondering what anonymous people who’ve never met me think of me on an entertaining football website loaded with sabre-rattling and hyperbolic banter. Relax a bit.