J.J. Watt fires shots at the Big Baller Brand

Getty Images

J.J. has thrown a stick of dy-no-mite! into the sneaker wars.

Texans defensive end J.J. Watt, whose JJ II shoe from Reebok made its debut on Friday, engaged in a little negative marketing on Twitter, taking aim at the Big Baller Brand from controversial impresario and performance artist LaVar Ball.

400 dollars less than some shoes on the market and 100% more effective,” Watt wrote on Twitter (via ESPN.com), in a clear shot at $495 shoes offered by Ball and his family.

“And I actually wear them,” Watt added, in reference to the fact that Lonzo Ball has recently worn both Nike (pictured) and Adidas shoes during Summer League games, not the shoes his father is trying so hard to sell.

Lonzo Ball justified the move by explaining to ESPN that with “Big Baller Brand you’ve got freedom to do whatever you want.”

Including the freedom to not spend $495 on a pair of shoes that the person they’re named for won’t even wear.

33 responses to “J.J. Watt fires shots at the Big Baller Brand

1. $100 Reeboks JJ? I haven’t had $100 shoes since high school when I spent all my Christmas money on a pair of Doc Martens.
    Now I wear $60 Nikes. They work prefect my active lifestyle of chasing my toddlers at the park, walking through Costco and standing in my garage whilst drinking a beer. Official Dad Shoe

2. Nothing makes me happier than JJ’s opinion. Except literally everything else in life.

He’s got a point, but he’s such an ass. Calm down JJ, we get it, you feel you are the Tom Brady of defense. Try sustaining your career for another decade.

3. They aren’t for big ballers, they are mostly targeted to nimrods who will go out and spend half of their paycheck on a pair of shoes and spend the next two weeks griping about being poor. You know, the ones who live in a $400 a month ramshackle apartment but drive a $50,000 dollar car.

4. chargers308 says:
    Jul 15, 2017 9:14 AM
    JJ big baller brand is for big ballers. If you can’t afford them stay in yo lane!

——————————————————————–

Watt is the last person that can’t afford something…let alone some garbage kicks NOBODY wants…Dude banks all his Texans money and lives on endorsement money…what lane is he supposed to be in exactly….?

5. They aren’t for big ballers, they are mostly targeted to nimrods who will go out and spend half of their paycheck on a pair of shoes and spend the next two weeks griping about being poor. You know, the ones who live in a $400 a month ramshackle apartment but drive a $50,000 dollar car.

———-

Yup, the same ones pushing three loaded carts full of groceries through Walmart at 3am at the first of the month.

6. firstdownbrowns says:
    Jul 15, 2017 10:13 AM
    do they still make Chuck Taylors ? some how as kids growing up in the 60-70s we got by on them.

——

They’re still around, bought the wife a pair about 2 months ago but even they’re like $50-60 or more these days.

7. i wear 24.99 walmart shoes. for work and play.
    they last about a year at best, but at least i can afford my
    beer.
    these shoe companies only target the rich, not the reality.

8. LOL IDC What You Think!!! says:
    Jul 15, 2017 7:47 AM
    Dear :JJ some people think even $100 is too much for sneakers just saying!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This is 2017. $100 on a GOOD pair of sneakers is reasonable.

20 years ago $100 was not reasonable.

9. $500 Big Ballers. The sneaks for unemployed people living in a one bedroom public housing apartment and driving a 92 Toyota with rims that cost $1000 each.

10. Here’s the ironic part…..Lonzo, being in the NBA, is already worth more than JJ and he hasn’t even flopped yet.
    Lakers will come out of the box strong, Ball will show his so called legendary passing skills….then start having fake nagging injuries to rest in 2 or 3 spots during season while LA sets up their 2018 draft and Lebron welcoming party.

11. I buy shoes for $50. Nike, Addidas, Pumas. If you don’t care that they stopped making the particular shoe (they don’t look any different to me). Zappos has free delivery.

12. If you think Big Baller shoes are outrageous, Google Adidas Kanye West Yeezy shoes! Some of them clip 2k!

13. I really like my $40 New Balance running shoes. They are made right here in America, not some Chinese sweatshop.

14. Is there really a “brand” to go after? Lavar is JUST this side of us ordering a pair of knockoff shoes off BangGood. I’ve still never seen anything Big Baller in the real world.

15. JJ , don’t be mad because you chose the wrong sport to play. You’re one of the top players in the league and your net worth is $25 million, by comparison, Lual Deng, is an average NBA player and his net worth is $60 million. You’re going to have to do a helluva lot more endorsements to even begin to close that gap!

16. I like JJ Watt but his attempts at smack talk are awkward and a bit painful. They just don’t fit his image. I’d prefer he keep his head down and keep chopping wood and visiting sick children. That’s the JJ I like hearing about.

As for the other guy in this story, I’ve got nothing to say.

17. wait you rock Reebok’s and you are talking trash to this kid for trying to do his own thing? I can’t think of a single person who buys reebok on purpose.. maybe from like Ross or some outlet store they get it as a gift from their 65 year old aunt.. just do your think JJ and let this kid do his

18. Some shockingly lucky people in here. $40 shoes? Just went to Eastbay and not ONE PAIR. New Balance doesn’t sell a pair of shoes for $40. Not one. Must be buying them off the bargain rack at Ross Dress for Less.

Try shopping when you wear a size 17. $100 is cheap as hell. I go to find a pair of running shoes and all that’s offered are god awful looking shoes for $250. So, I run in 17 year old Asics that smell like cat urine, have no soles and do have one good feature … air holes where my big toes stick out.

19. philly462 says:
    Jul 15, 2017 5:27 PM

——

Your first problem was trying to buy shoes from Eastbay. Do people still do that? Your second problem was assuming that people can only get certain shoes for under $100 or it means they went to Ross. Your 3rd problem is mocking Ross when you’re also complaining about trying to find Size 17 shoes as that’s usually all they have on their shelves.

For what it’s worth, we have two New Balance outlet stores in the Houston area and there’s been times where I’ve been able to walk out of one of them with 3 pairs of shoes for under $100.

Even more so, Nike, Reebok, and Sketchers have outlets too, and it’s easy to find shoes under $80 at places like Foot Locker, Champs, and Finish Line.