Johnny Manziel hoping, working for NFL comeback

Getty Images

The odds of Johnny Manziel getting a second chance in the NFL remain long. Yet, despite having not played since 2015, the former Heisman Trophy winner apparently is drawing more interest than Colin Kaepernick.

Manziel said Saturday he has had a couple of conversations with NFL teams about a comeback. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported in March that Manziel had breakfast with Saints coach Sean Payton at the Super Bowl to discuss a return.

I know the situation that I put myself in,” Manziel said from the fantasy football convention in Dallas, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “I know the year I took off and obviously the mistakes that I made. Right now, I’m hopeful. I’m really hopeful. I think that I made some progress in that regard. But we’ll see. Whenever I get a call, I’ll do whatever I can to make the most of it.”

The former first-round pick played two seasons for the Browns, going 2-6 while completing 57 percent of his passes for 1,675 yards with seven touchdowns and seven interceptions. He received a four-game suspension for violation of the substance-abuse policy last summer but sat out last season as a free agent after his release from the Browns.

Manziel, though, has stayed out the news, while working out, in hopes of convincing an NFL team he’s worthy of a second chance.

“I think the thing I realized over the past year and the thing I realized from being away from it is really how much you miss it,” Manziel said. “That’s all I’ve known for so long. It’s what I love to do. It’s hard. It’s hard sitting here going through OTA time and going through summer time and then getting ready to go through fall camp and not being part of it. But at the same time, I’m really optimistic and hopeful that I’ll get another chance. That’s really what I’m holding out for every day.”

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
49 Responses to “Johnny Manziel hoping, working for NFL comeback”
  1. mackcarrington says: Jul 15, 2017 5:47 PM

“It’s what I love to do. It’s hard. It’s hard sitting here and not posting my party exploits all over the internet. It’s hard not smacking my girl around and getting into fights with random dudes. It’s hard not wearing disguises in hope no one recognizes me. I just don’t know how everyone else goes through life not doing those things.”

2. r502 says: Jul 15, 2017 5:53 PM

You just know it has crossed Jerry Jones mind to give Johnny 8 Ball a shot. Johnny could provide some of that Leadership Jerry craves.

The culture around the Cowboys Organization is just the nurturing, highly ethical and supportive atmosphere Johnny needs to put his life and career back on track.

Dez and Ewok can take him under their wing and set him straight.

3. realtruthteller101 says: Jul 15, 2017 5:54 PM

johnny football will win a superbowl as a nfl qb. the question is weather he does it before tebow or not.

4. nyneal says: Jul 15, 2017 5:58 PM

Blah blah blah… we’ve heard it all before from Johnny Rotten Busto. He’s a spoiled little punk who blew a golden opportunity that few people get. I have zero sympathy for him and hope he never plays in the NFL again.
    I laugh when they’re saying he wants to “come back”. Come back from what? He never did a thing in the NFL other than get drunk and high and beat up his girlfriend.
    You stink anyway, Manziel. Go play in the Arena League where you can have a chance to be a good QB. Because you’ll never, ever be a good NFL QB.
    Please — let other decent guys who deserve a chance to try to make it in the NFL get that chance, but say no to this jerk.

5. crappygovernment says: Jul 15, 2017 6:02 PM

You’d think Nick Saban would say a few kind words for manziel. He did carve up alabama’s defense that season.

6. TheDPR says: Jul 15, 2017 6:04 PM

If he cared about the sport, he’d be playing right now in Canada or anywhere in any league that might have him. He doesn’t. For him it’s about the money and fame you get from the NFL, not about loving the game.

7. araidersfan says: Jul 15, 2017 6:05 PM

Manziel would be rotting in prison right now if it wasn’t for the political influence his billionaire family has. Ryan Leaf did jail time for much less.

8. therealraider says: Jul 15, 2017 6:15 PM

Prove it in the CFL. Then maybe he will get another NFL opportunity.

9. strength531 says: Jul 15, 2017 6:16 PM

The real reason for the story: apparently is drawing more interest than Colin Kaepernick

10. MichaelEdits says: Jul 15, 2017 6:19 PM

One thing I’ve learned from Twitter is that I enjoy watching Arena Football. And since it’s more about improvised sandlot stuff, Manziel should try it. If they’d have him. Oh. Never mind.

11. grruffgrruff says: Jul 15, 2017 6:21 PM

Ya know Johnny, your problem was you needed to be humble and graciously accept the position in which you were drafted. Instead, you came out and showed the money sign. You never worked to earn the QB position. You just thought, I’m in. Immaturity at it’s best. Party like it’s 1999. I really don’t think anyone in the industry really liked you. It was all for show. You certainly aren’t
    the macho man…more like the Brownie Elf mascot.
    With that said…forward a few years.
    Ok, I screwed up Big Time.
    Too late…younger and better prospects ahead of you.
    Wish you well…Your regrets will haunt you…

12. Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Jul 15, 2017 6:35 PM

Let’s face it, he’s not 6’4″ with a cannon arm. The reason there was so much hype was that it was thought he had “it”. That indescribable quality that winning QBs have. It’s more mental than physical.

But he’s proven that he’s not mentally strong. And if he’s not mentally strong…

…and he’s not physically strong…

…why would any GM bring him in?

13. jintfan says: Jul 15, 2017 7:00 PM

How is that Johnny Football & Kap are drawing more interest than RGIII?
    The Jets might want to take look at all these guys, they’d be better than the three they have in camp now.

14. medialovesthecowboys says: Jul 15, 2017 7:16 PM

Go to the CFL if you’re serious.

15. clamdiggers says: Jul 15, 2017 7:19 PM

Would win starting job for the vikes

16. aliveguy24 says: Jul 15, 2017 7:30 PM

Go play baseball. This site will love you.

17. sterling7 says: Jul 15, 2017 7:32 PM

This is what happens when you’re young, arrogant and stupid-opportunity passes you by…………….

18. jimmysee says: Jul 15, 2017 7:38 PM

Any team that would sign this guy is run by a moron.

19. xbam says: Jul 15, 2017 7:55 PM

all posts go back to C-Kap lol!

20. BIGGSHAUN says: Jul 15, 2017 7:56 PM

Let’s see:

Invoking your first amendment rights: Toxic

Do drugs, beat your girl, party all the time, quit on your team: Hey, second chance!

21. briang123 says: Jul 15, 2017 7:58 PM

You know what they say. Next to every hot girl is a guy……

22. xenova1 says: Jul 15, 2017 8:08 PM

I hear that Minor League Baseball is looking for over-hyped collegiate quarterbacks who failed in the NFL.

23. yoursoulcollector says: Jul 15, 2017 8:34 PM

Johnny football is out of money and trying to make nice. Any team that signs him will be giving him new bank to supply his old life style. Addicts rarely change. Johnny is a champion addict.

24. imaduffer says: Jul 15, 2017 8:37 PM

I can always use a good laugh on Saturday.

25. seahawkboymike says: Jul 15, 2017 8:43 PM

Seahawks. Pete loves him.

26. 33vikes says: Jul 15, 2017 8:44 PM

Good luck kid, you’re gonna need it!!

– Guido the Killer Pimp, to Joel Goodson in Risky Business.

27. 1bigtex says: Jul 15, 2017 8:59 PM

araidersfan says:
    Jul 15, 2017 6:05 PM
    __________________________________
    “much less” Really??? Two felony burglary convictions for Leaf.

28. amaf21 says: Jul 15, 2017 9:02 PM

Translation: I’m out of money.

29. williefog5 says: Jul 15, 2017 9:33 PM

Warren Moon swallowed his pride and played in the CFL. He ended up in the NFL Hall of Fame.

30. whenwilliteverend says: Jul 15, 2017 9:35 PM

And I had a conversation with God the other day about being rule of the entire free world. I really hope I get that chance again.

31. whenwilliteverend says: Jul 15, 2017 9:39 PM

I can’t believe any team would seriously even consider giving this clown a chance. If he really cared about playing he would have taken it seriously after he was cut by the Browns–the Browns of all teams. His response was to party like an animal for the last sixteen months. Now all of a sudden he’s serious? It’s more likely that he’s broke and needs more millions to party because his daddy finally had an epiphany and cut him off.

He probably wants people to feel sorry for him. I’m sorry, I don’t.

32. bradygirl12 says: Jul 15, 2017 9:42 PM

Wouldn’t touch him with a 10-foot pole….

33. backuppunter says: Jul 15, 2017 9:46 PM

I hope johnny figures it out but not just on the football field. If he would become a great nfl player and a great human being i think it would be a great thing so i am pulling for him. not excusing him for his past just really like the idea of human beings being capable of improving themselves. pulling for all the johnny’s out there

34. whodat5150 says: Jul 15, 2017 10:15 PM

Just like Vegas, the drinking and gambling are 24/7 in New Orleans. I don’t think Sean Payton had any real interest in signing him. But I sincerely wish him well.

35. crackerbrainfool says: Jul 15, 2017 11:07 PM

Off to Canada first

36. leatherface2012 says: Jul 16, 2017 12:13 AM

i don’t think his weight, which looks to be around 173 lbs is helping him either.

37. igwaybwekay says: Jul 16, 2017 1:26 AM

Sounds like Johnny’s almost out of money.

38. sire703 says: Jul 16, 2017 3:03 AM

williefog5 says:
    Jul 15, 2017 9:33 PM
    —————–

You honestly believe Warren Moon went to the CFL based on his skill set? Like, really, honestly believe that?

39. dreece13 says: Jul 16, 2017 3:36 AM

As a Cowboys fan, I’d rather have Manziel as our backup than Kellen Moore… at least Manziel has a pretty good arm. Moore looks like a wet noodle is where his left arm should be.

40. rick2263 says: Jul 16, 2017 8:52 AM

He probably blew any money he had and now he wants a comeback for another contract -just to let everyone down again. JUST GO AWAY!

41. sychosam28 says: Jul 16, 2017 9:13 AM

He’s going to learn a lesson about burning bridges.

42. jimmysee says: Jul 16, 2017 9:20 AM

The Johnny Manziel ship has sailed.

And sunk.

With Capt. Manziel at the helm.

43. wordsmith513 says: Jul 16, 2017 1:12 PM

Johnny Dirtball, in this life you had your chance. Come back in another life and if you learned anything, you might have a chance. Otherwise your chances are about up.

44. wordsmith513 says: Jul 16, 2017 1:18 PM

dreece13 says:
    Jul 16, 2017 3:36 AM
    —————————————————
    I get the arm thing. But if you don’t have a head that comprehends what it takes to play pro football, then who cares what the arm is or isn’t? Moore has the brain at least.

45. bralinshan says: Jul 16, 2017 1:52 PM

I’m hoping that Manziel gets picked up by somebody. Not because I care about his football career….because the media will lose it’s collective mind. And hopefully, blow its own brains out.

46. porkfriedandoffsides says: Jul 16, 2017 2:29 PM

more 200th chance

47. 1bigtex says: Jul 16, 2017 2:42 PM

I’m 6’3″ and 225. I also happed to be 65 and had triple CABG surgery five years ago. I have a better chance of getting an NFL QB gig this year than Johnny Highball.

48. jclark6528 says: Jul 16, 2017 3:19 PM

Let’s see:

Invoking your first amendment rights: Toxic

_____________________

I’m sorry….I must have missed the part in the article where someone signed JM….what “second chance” are you referring to??….this is the just the JM hype train trying to start it’s own rusty engines.

49. mrfrostyj says: Jul 18, 2017 11:25 PM

Wouldn’t this be his fourth or fifth chance if he ever got one? I remember Cleveland forgiving him a few times.

The only stat that really matters is the Cleveland Browns were 6-3 and first place in their division when he got his first start.

They stopped winning games and went back to their normal last place after that point and the Browns still haven’t been in the playoffs since 2002.

That’s how good Manziel was.