Manziel, Kaepernick currently represented by the same firm

Getty Images

If Johnny Manziel gets a job before Colin Kaepernick, Kaepernick (and others) may have an issue with that. The firm that represents Kaepernick won’t, because the same firm represents Manziel.

Earlier this year, Kaepernick hired Jeff Nalley of Select Sports Group. Likewise, Erik Burkhardt of Select Sports Group allowed Manziel to rehire Burkhardt, a year after Burkhardt had fired Manziel.

Yes, it creates a potential conflict of interest for the agency, since both players are vying for the same quarterback jobs. For now, though, it’s no issue, since no team has offered a job to either guy. And it’s hard to imagine any team entrusting Manziel with a spot on the depth chart, for a variety of reasons.

If anyone does before giving a job to Kaepernick, the cries of a concerted effort to keep him out of the league will justifiably become louder than ever.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
37 Responses to “Manziel, Kaepernick currently represented by the same firm”
  1. harrietknutczak says: Jul 15, 2017 8:52 PM

There’s obvoiusly collusion to keep Kap out of the NFL!

2. commentawaitingdeletion says: Jul 15, 2017 8:55 PM

Apparently Select Sports Group is not really all that selective

3. jimnaizeeum says: Jul 15, 2017 8:59 PM

Now that’s funny, the same firm representing these two losers.

4. amaf21 says: Jul 15, 2017 9:03 PM

Give it up already.

5. evrybdyhas1 says: Jul 15, 2017 9:07 PM

Uh minimum wage in Seattle is $15.00/hour good luck in the express cuisine biz.

6. collectordude says: Jul 15, 2017 9:12 PM

And they will both stay unemployed.

7. MichaelEdits says: Jul 15, 2017 9:16 PM

I think John Grisham wrote a book about The Firm.

8. jamokestotheleft says: Jul 15, 2017 9:18 PM

I can’t be the only one believing manziel is making this up ,right?

9. rcali says: Jul 15, 2017 9:18 PM

Thoughts and prayers out to the multiple families of police officers killed in the line of duty over the past week, protecting people, not colors. Kap hates these folks.

10. whenwilliteverend says: Jul 15, 2017 9:22 PM

Especially from Florio.

11. oruacat2 says: Jul 15, 2017 9:41 PM

Perhaps you should lobby your Steelers to offer Kap a job.

12. threespeedfan says: Jul 15, 2017 10:12 PM

From your earlier article on Manziel said by Manziel:
    “I think the thing I realized over the past year and the thing I realized from being away from it is really how much you miss it,” Manziel said. “That’s all I’ve known for so long. It’s what I love to do. It’s hard. It’s hard sitting here going through OTA time and going through summer time and then getting ready to go through fall camp and not being part of it.”
    Can someone point to a Kaepernick quote where he wants everyone to know about his passion for football?

13. ajsmythe says: Jul 15, 2017 10:15 PM

I’d put money on Kap getting a job before that wannabe gangster Manziel

14. briang123 says: Jul 15, 2017 10:37 PM

Funny how teams are clamoring to sign Manziel while Kaepernick is without a job. Hmmm. Manziel is white and Kaepernick is black. What could possibly account for the difference in treatment and perception?

15. nyneal says: Jul 15, 2017 10:47 PM

The firm that represents Johnny Busto and Colon Krapernick is called “Jerks ‘R Us”.

16. hockeyflow30 says: Jul 15, 2017 10:54 PM

Both useless but if you’re a GM at least Manziel is working out and training for football instead of playing the victim in the motherland

17. tecmoho says: Jul 15, 2017 11:57 PM

If I had to pick, I’d definitely take Kaepernick over Manziel.

18. packers291 says: Jul 16, 2017 12:29 AM

Teams have a right to sign or not sign any individual to a mutually agreed upon contract. ZERO teams are under obligation to explain why they have not offered a contract to any individual. There are hundreds of free agent quarterbacks.

Also, Cutler is better than Kap so why aren’t you clamoring for him to get an offer?

19. charger383 says: Jul 16, 2017 12:35 AM

I’d rather have Manziel, he is just annoying and drinks

20. fafaflunky says: Jul 16, 2017 12:55 AM

Thats one junk firm.

21. Matt from San Diego says: Jul 16, 2017 2:44 AM

What people who support Kap and his method of protest do not understand, is that the form of protest itself is incredibly offensive. Period. Its not that we are not aware of the injustices that he is protesting, and do not agree with him, but the way he goes about it is incredibly offensive to those who have sacrificed for this nation, to have a loved one come home with their coffin draped in the flag he is desecrating.

Just, get it. Understand how stupid and offensive that is, than we can open a dialogue. But dont wipe your butt with my flag. We will not engage you if you continue to behave like toddlers. Adults will not have an adult conversation with people acting out like children.

Until you realize this? Your protests will continue to follow on deaf ears. This is the end of the discussion.

22. buzzlightner says: Jul 16, 2017 2:56 AM

man if maziel gets a job before kaep could u imagine the 17 stories we would get from profootball in the first day alome

23. 6250claimer says: Jul 16, 2017 3:40 AM

This is silly. There have got to be a ton of agents that represent more than one QB who are all simultaneously looking for work. Why is Kap any different? Oh yeah, he’s some sort of victim, allegedly. I’m surprised the Russians haven’t been blamed yet somehow.

24. Ron Jull says: Jul 16, 2017 7:59 AM

What ever happened to RG III?

25. milehihoss says: Jul 16, 2017 8:08 AM

Fitting.

26. Greenlargo says: Jul 16, 2017 8:59 AM

harrietknutczak says:
    Jul 15, 2017 8:52 PM
    There’s obvoiusly collusion to keep Kap out of the NFL!

———————–
    Its nothing new. The NFL has colluded for years with a bias against the bad players.

27. Greenlargo says: Jul 16, 2017 9:11 AM

ajsmythe says:
    Jul 15, 2017 10:15 PM
    I’d put money on Kap getting a job before that wannabe gangster Manziel

14 45
    ————————————–
    Downvotes aside I think I agree with this. Whatever you think about what Kaep did when he showed up, he showed up. Manziel was not 100% on that showing up part. Putting the rest of this aside, the most basic and important factor a team needs is that a guy shows up.

If I am running a team and I have to choose between those two I think I do take Kaep even with his limited skill set and ceiling. I also would take the team into a rebuilding process if I have gotten to that point, but yeah Kaep over Manziel.

BTW, note the entire argument I just made was not based even a little bit on politics. I thought only about what is best for a football team I know thats a weird way to think these days.

28. Sullivan says: Jul 16, 2017 9:22 AM

buzzlightner says:
    Jul 16, 2017 2:56 AM

——————–
    I think I might agree with them too. I have not been surprised teams havent signed Kaep yet, I dont think he is that good for a team. But still he is ahead of Maniel.

Good point in the above post about showing up. If you cant be depended on to show up that is worse for a team than any other factor.

29. robigd says: Jul 16, 2017 9:39 AM

Is it Bernie Madoffs firm?

30. chris6523 says: Jul 16, 2017 9:50 AM

If Manziel signs with someone, it is sure to be a minimum salary one or two year deal. Would Kaepernick be willing to sign that sort of contract? If the answer to that is “no”, it’s an apples to oranges comparison.

31. sumkat says: Jul 16, 2017 9:57 AM

The same firm represents them both?

I bet they are the A+ high class firm that all the top players want to sign with

32. kcchefs58 says: Jul 16, 2017 10:29 AM

Undoubtedly, the most overblown peaceful protest I’ve ever heard of.

33. dg0122 says: Jul 16, 2017 11:55 AM

That firm is like the Maytag Repairmen of agents

34. richc111 says: Jul 16, 2017 12:30 PM

I hope johnny Football get some 3rd string entry pay job in the NFL so I can everyone head explode when they think it proves their point. But both QB have the same problem. THE MEDIA! Both QB’s will have waves of media following their every step. That is why both players will have a hard time getting work.

35. pathman56 says: Jul 16, 2017 2:40 PM

Lets play a quiz.

1. Which player got his team to the Super Bowl?

2. Which player skipped out on his team?

3. Which player was indicted on assault charges?

4. Which player donated $1,000,000.00 of his salary to community charities in 2016?

5. Which player was voted most courageous and inspirational by his teammates?

6. Which player has the same number of career interceptions as TD passes?

7. Which player cant get a job because he took a stand on a matter of conscience?

8. Which player cant get a job because he drinks, drugs and parties like a rock musician?

Nuff said!

36. kegowhisky says: Jul 16, 2017 3:12 PM

The real loser in this equation is Select Sports Group. Can you imagine being saddled with both of these unemployables?

37. silvernblacksabbath says: Jul 18, 2017 12:13 PM

briang123 says:
    Jul 15, 2017 10:37 PM

————————————
    Or maybe the story is complete BS to get people like you up in arms.. I’d bet on that! MANZIEL IS DONE and never should have been drafted in the 1st round!