Cody Latimer on strip club scuffle: I was trying to break up a disagreement

Getty Images

A video showing Broncos wide receiver Cody Latimer slapping a strip club bouncer and getting pepper sprayed in the face was released by TMZ on Sunday, which has led to a response from both Latimer and the team.

Latimer noted that the incident took place in February and that the police were not called to intervene after the incident, which the wideout says started with words between his uncle and the bouncer.

“It was initially a disagreement between [Latimer’s uncle and the bouncer] and I was trying to break it up,” Latimer said, via Mike Klis of KUSA. “There’s not much to say about it. There weren’t any cops called. I didn’t want trouble so we got out. It happened 6 months ago.”

Latimer’s uncle wound up taking the biggest punch when things escalated and is shown down on the ground as the video comes to an end.

The Broncos issued a statement to Klis that said they were aware of the incident and that they have discussed it with Latimer, who is preparing for his fourth season with the team after being selected in the second round of the 2014 draft.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Cody Latimer on strip club scuffle: I was trying to break up a disagreement”
  1. stoneydog1000 says: Jul 16, 2017 12:45 PM

You can take the boy out of Dayton, but you can’t take the Dayton out of the boy.

2. fiddlinred says: Jul 16, 2017 12:59 PM

First time wev heard that name in a while.

3. garby95 says: Jul 16, 2017 1:00 PM

Well, at least he was paying attention when the “fall guy” concept was explained.

4. dregonspengler says: Jul 16, 2017 1:05 PM

A bouncer isn’t a cop, but fair or not, inside an establishment where he’s employed to keep the peace his word is often akin to law.
    If Cody Latimer were truly trying to break up the fight he could have wrapped his uncle in a bear hug and walked him away from the fray, regardless of who started the altercation. Instead, he slapped the bouncer — a great way to escalate a fight, not break it up.
    Yes, too many bouncers can act a little macho, or overreact to a situation, or abuse their position and take things too far. Nevertheless, had Latimer pulled his uncle away it’s likely neither one of them would have suffered anything but the indignation of being kicked out of the club.
    Instead, the uncle got punched, and Latimer got pepper-sprayed and must now deal with unwanted negative publicity. He’s lucky no one was arrested.
    Whether you’re in the right or wrong, getting out of a situation quietly, with your hide intact, is often better than winning.

5. lingsun54 says: Jul 16, 2017 1:11 PM

Pretty convenient how they only told his side of the story.

6. broncosllbuckya says: Jul 16, 2017 1:15 PM

Great special teams contributor, otherwise not worth a second round selection. Is this guy even going to make the 53 man roster? I doubt this is going to help his case…

7. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Jul 16, 2017 1:17 PM

Another Elway draft bust

8. Southpaw says: Jul 16, 2017 1:24 PM

Who goes to a strip club with their uncle?

9. joetoronto says: Jul 16, 2017 1:28 PM

Have shovel, will dig.

10. charliecharger says: Jul 16, 2017 1:41 PM

He’s out at a strip club. The rest of the story doesn’t matter. I guarantee you he’s not in the Bronco’s future plans.

11. purpleguy says: Jul 16, 2017 1:43 PM

So many things to be proud of in this sentence: “Latimer slapped a strip club bouncer.”

12. tylawspick6 says: Jul 16, 2017 1:56 PM

elway whiffs badly again

13. BIGGSHAUN says: Jul 16, 2017 1:58 PM

I’m used to reading so many positive stories about NFL players and strip clubs. I’m shocked when something like this happens.

14. mazenblue says: Jul 16, 2017 2:13 PM

hells ya dawg!!!! Make it rain in da club!!! Other than that I dindu nuffin

15. mackcarrington says: Jul 16, 2017 2:16 PM

There’s video evidence of him commiting an act of violence. In my world he would be indefinitely suspended until I was satisfied there wasn’t going to be any civil proceedings. I hope it’s only a matter of time until the NFL does just that.

16. commentawaitingdeletion says: Jul 16, 2017 2:32 PM

mackcarrington says:
    Jul 16, 2017 2:16 PM
    _____________

The incident happened in February.

17. mackcarrington says: Jul 16, 2017 2:56 PM

@commentawaitingdeletion:
    So what? There’s evidence. I would suspend him. Indefinitely. You saying it’s okay to go around slapping people and not suffer any consequences?

18. mackcarrington says: Jul 16, 2017 3:00 PM

@commentawaitingdeletion:
    Yes the incident happened in February. But it’s just now coming to light. That’s my entire point. You don’t know what else is going to come out later. So you suspend him until you are satisfied that nothing else will surface. No matter how long that is.

19. The Truth says: Jul 16, 2017 4:06 PM

League full of punks

20. yoursoulcollector says: Jul 16, 2017 4:42 PM

CUT HIM NOW!

21. thrifty says: Jul 16, 2017 4:52 PM

tylawspick6 says:
    Jul 16, 2017 1:56 PM
    elway whiffs badly again

11 4
    ———-
    Yeah, the patriots should be really proud of choosing aaron hernandez. At least Latimer hasn’t killed anyone.

22. mudachains says: Jul 16, 2017 4:55 PM

Because slapping someone in the face is a proven de-escalation method!

23. amaf21 says: Jul 16, 2017 5:39 PM

Watch your hands next time, then maybe you won’t get pepper sprayed and your uncle get knocked the you-know-what out!

24. yourunclerico says: Jul 16, 2017 6:14 PM

mr. ed, the genius at drafting, strikes again.

25. Bizzareslantpass says: Jul 16, 2017 8:13 PM

The only headlines this kid grabs are ones that confirm his immaturity. I’m tired of hearing him say that this is going to be his breakout year, and giving a bunch of excuses for the years previous. Cut this clown!

26. DonkeyWaffle says: Jul 16, 2017 8:36 PM

I was there to check out Booby Miles.

27. stew48 says: Jul 16, 2017 10:03 PM

Memo to all NFL players: If you are under contract with any NFL team you will be suspended immediately when the league receives a report that your action(s) possibly violates criminal law or reflects negatively on the league.

You will have 10 days from the day of report to produce positive proof the report is false to avoid suspension. BTW, a written statement from an attorney does not meet the criteria.

28. sceaglesfan says: Jul 17, 2017 6:49 AM

Big deal coming out of college- has done very little. The most underrated attribute of a player is there love of the game/willingness to do whatever it takes to be great. I’ll take that over a fast 40 time any day

29. crik911 says: Jul 17, 2017 6:55 AM

I honestly thought it was something about Latimer from the program. I don’t know why, haven’t watched it in forever. I think maybe it was the strip club headline.

30. Sullivan says: Jul 17, 2017 6:59 AM

I have this really good trick for preventing myself from getting videoed in stripper club incidents…

31. txbillsfan says: Jul 17, 2017 7:12 AM

Who cares about the slap. No one wanted to press charges. Real punches are thrown during teams training camps, practices, and games and no one ever gets arrested so let it go.

32. Sullivan says: Jul 17, 2017 9:51 AM

tylawspick6 says:
    Jul 16, 2017 1:56 PM
    elway whiffs badly again

—————-
    I cant see blaming the teams. None of them are immune nor can they be. The responsibility for player behavior has to rest on the players.