John Harbaugh on Colin Kaepernick: What’s his priority?

AP

As the Ravens consider signing quarterback Colin Kaepernick, coach John Harbaugh hinted today that they want to know whether Kaepernick is all-in on football.

Harbaugh said he wants to find out what Kaepernick’s passion and priority is, suggesting perhaps that the team wonders if Kaepernick is more interested in his social justice work than in living and breathing football.

“He’s a really good football player and I believe he’s a really good person,” Harbaugh said of Kaepernick. “It all depends on a lot of things. It depends on Colin, first of all, what he wants to do. What’s his passion? What’s his priority? What’s he want to do? What kind of shape he’s in, and if he’s ready to go, then our needs. So we’ll kind of see where it goes. I don’t think that’s different for us than any other team. We’re definitely going to get another arm in here. But he’s not an arm, obviously. He’s an accomplished football player and we always like having good football players around.”

Kaepernick played for Harbaugh’s brother Jim in San Francisco, and Jim Harbaugh has vouched for Kaepernick many times. So if John Harbaugh wants to know about Kaepernick’s passion for football, his brother would be a good reference — unless Harbaugh suspects Kaepernick once made football his priority but now has other priorities.

64 responses to “John Harbaugh on Colin Kaepernick: What’s his priority?

1. Probably the same as they were last year: when you can’t beat out the competition, spit in the face of Americans. Glad the Niners got rid of him.

2. Well, if he’s thinking of signing with the Ravens, then obviously winning is not a priority.

3. If you look at the Colts QB options (minus Luck, which is very possible), they need to talk to this guy.

4. Not sure why so many people don’t want to see him play. I for one love watching him make an ass of himself on the playing field. Let the clown play!

5. First ray Lewis,Then Ray Rice, Now the one that thinks

more of social issues then football. Really something to

look forward t this season.Should think about actually

making the playoffs instead of rescuing the world. Time

to move on to root for another team.Retired police officer,

Vietnam vet and now a minority.

6. well we know whaaabaugh’s priority is complaining and getting rules changed, so krapernick’s priorities of sitting during the anthem and growing his hair out should fit right in.

7. Nobody wants the QB who went 3-16 over the last 2 years and tried to talk about oppression while wearing a Fidel Castro t-shirt? No way.

8. you people are hypocrites… upset because he doesn’t share your views, but if a singer or actor comes out with views that match your own you’d be all in.. John would be right to want Kapernick to say his primary focus is football, but i don’t see how taking a knee takes away from that at all.. I will continue to support any form of peaceful protest, regardless of political or social leaning, the moment you entice , encourage or take part in violence in any way I hope you are charged and sentenced to the full extent the law allows

9. Finally, someone is asking the correct questions…

(With exception of the Cowboys & the Bengals) an NFL coach has a short shelf life you get to the playoffs, get past the 1st round or you’re fired.

Guy’s not going to get hired if playing QB is 2nd to playing Social Warrior…he call Soros and get on the SJW payroll.

10. madmax80 says:
    Jul 27, 2017 2:10 PM
    Looks like I will not be watching the NFL again this year . . .

————————————————-

And nobody will miss you…go watch whatever you want….

11. petersjeffrey36 says:
    Jul 27, 2017 2:23 PM
    ———————————————————

Actually…. I prefer all Hollywood stars, musicians, and athletes keep their political views to themselves.
    Whether I agree with their views or not.

12. I already made up my mind if kap is not signed I will boycott the NFL. Its a slap in the face to the black race and it shows the NFL does not care for the issues that minorities consistently face in inner cities throughout america which he only helped to shed light on.

13. cebert44 says:
    Jul 27, 2017 2:18 PM

First ray Lewis,Then Ray Rice, Now the one that thinks

more of social issues then football. Really something to

look forward t this season.Should think about actually

making the playoffs instead of rescuing the world. Time

to move on to root for another team.Retired police officer,

Vietnam vet and now a minority.

—————————————–

Double spacing a comment?!? Is this a college essay?

14. jagmankane says:
    Whether I agree with their views or not.
    ———
    But you however….you get to share your opinions.
    Do you like/respect freedom? Or just your own personal freedoms but nobody elses?

I honestly don’t get this mentality? If NOBODY is allowed to have an opinion then we are all censored and that goes against our constitution and freedom of speech. If some are allowed to express their opinion but nobody else is then that is dictatorship.

I’m fine with everyone sharing their opinions. I understand I am going to hear things I do not agree with, but I still respect their freedoms to say what they have to say. “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.” I thoroughly understood that by the time I was 5 years old.

15. “First ray Lewis,Then Ray Rice, Now the one that thinks

more of social issues then football.”

Ray Lewis and Ray Rice? Those are your comparisons? Have some perspective. You think kneeling for the national anthem is on the same level as knocking a woman out and dragging her out of an elevator?

16. Baltimore certainly has no problem with corrupt/dishonest/outright criminal policing, so I’m not sure why Kaepernick would be interested in that market.

COUGHplanting drugs on over 100 suspectsCOUGHsnapping peoples spines while in custodyCOUGH

aaaaaaaaaaaand here come the downvotes!

17. Michael Brown robbed a convenience store then punched a cop in the face and tried to take his gun, them the facts.

This is what uneducated Kapernick and his ilk protest, utter brainwashed fools.

18. If he joined the Ravens, his jersey would immediately jump to the top of the list of most shoplifted.

19. Double spacing a comment?!? Is this a college essay?

What are you the grammar or PC police …lighten up Percy.

Cap is a perfect fit for the fans and Ravens…..pathetic.

20. Johnny Whinebaugh on the hotseat.

It’s official

Even if his arrogance doesn’t make it obvious, he has to know he’s not as special as he thinks he is.

21. “unless Harbaugh suspects Kaepernick once made football his priority but now has other priorities.”

And why would he suspect that?

22. realoldguy says:
    Jul 27, 2017 2:26 PM

I think it’s a trial balloon to see what the Ravens fans reaction is.
    ==================

After watching hundreds of women in Ray Rice jerseys in support of the running back, I’m not thinking that you really need a trial balloon for Ravens fans. The bar is very low already.

I get the feeling that the reason Kaep is a free agent, is because he is unrealistic. He strikes me as the kind of guy that wont play unless he is going to be the starter for a contender. Go play for the Jets bro. They need a QB (only they suck, and Kaep feels like he is above playing for a bad team)

23. Here we go again. With training camps opening, the Kaepernick man-crush is on full display

24. I hope he signs just so the heads of the majority of commenters on this site will explode. You know, the ones who cry ” I don’t care about his guy” but post a comment on every article regarding him. I hope Kap bathes in your fake tears.

25. Kap doesn’t have a job because of owner’s dislike for his political agenda, or their fear of the fan backlash of said agenda. That’s a damn shame, for sure, but it’s business before ANYTHING for the guys that run the show in 2017 world.

26. I’ve always felt that Keapernick was over rated. However, I also feel that you’re blowing his actions out of proportion. There is major opposition to removing confederate flags and monuments, despite the fact that these symbols tried to break part what the anthem stands for. These things are disrespectful to the nation, to our flag, but yet they persist without the same backlash afforded Keapernick.

The man feels our nation has a double standard towards citizens of color. He’s willing to put his career in the NFL on the line to get your attention on this matter. Is there anything you feel so strongly about that you would do the same? Take a day to overlook his protest and investigate his reasons. If you take an honest look you may be surprised by what you find.

27. I guess Kaepernick is a better option than Tim Tebow. Beyond that, it’s a crap shoot how it would work out. The Browns thought that RGIII was their answer too.

28. Imagine a world where there was ONE nfl owner who said, “I actually agree with and am pissed too about stuff like the Philando Castile situation.” and then fans of that team too being like “yeah, i can see how that would bother a black person…”

(twilight zone music)

29. Colon Krappernick has not risen to the level of an average QB for years since his Super Bowl appearance.

I used to like this guy, but he’s just not that good – he is yet another gimmick QB that is all the rage for teams who want to offer a black QB a starting job.

I say this with no disregard for black QB’s (Doug Williams was a true QB, not a running back who thought he could throw). The problem with today’s black QB’s is that they are all running backs who fancy the ability to throw – they are not real QB’s – they are all halloween costume wearing ones. They cannot beat you with their arms – they have to run around because they are compensating for inabilities to read defenses and to make timely throws.

30. Kaepernick played for Harbaugh’s brother Jim in San Francisco, and Jim Harbaugh has vouched for Kaepernick many times
    —————————————-

but first he DIDN’T vouch for him. Twitter induced vouching is suspect

31. If this guy wants to play football then he must demonstrate his passion for football. He needs to use a different platform for all his social agendas. I pay to watch players play and not to see them make a social statement. If he cant live with that then no need to come back to the NFL!

32. cebert44 says:
    Jul 27, 2017 2:18 PM
    First ray Lewis,Then Ray Rice, Now the one that thinks

more of social issues then football. Really something to

look forward t this season.Should think about actually

making the playoffs instead of rescuing the world. Time

to move on to root for another team.Retired police officer,

Vietnam vet and now a minority.

_______________________________________

Minority? Care to clarify?

33. Harbaugh’s dad was a coach, and these guys grew up around football, so I doubt that they’re racist. They’ve also been very successful, so I doubt they have an inferiority complex. They’re both confident, strong men, so I don’t think they live in fear of other men. Those things make Harbaugh a perfect candidate to sign Kaepernick.

34. bam5239 says:
    Jul 27, 2017 3:07 PM
    ~~~~~~
    Apparently so would you. His anthem “protest” was towards the team for shopping him in the off-season and then he lost it once he realized Gabbert would be the starter (week 3 of the preseason). He was asked the first time he sat and his response was basically a lot of uhs and ums. He never said a word about the anthem, cops, unfairness to black people or anything of the sort. The following week he brought out the social justice stance and it grew only when he saw the popularity among the anarchists and the crew he wants to associate with. When he also received unexpected criticism, he changed from sitting to kneeling. He is just a malcontent that transformed his dilemma into national notoriety via a lie. You can point to charity donations and to other things he said but do not forget this important point: right before free agency (the time he could get a job with another team) he publicly said he would not kneel the upcoming year. To translate that: once his ‘principles’ could actually cost him some money, he abandoned them. Which means, they were simply a marketing ploy among social wannabes and were never actual principles.

35. This is the same guy who used to be totally cut and would kiss his biceps during games yet now when he’s supposedly trying to land a job there’s no video or pics of him working out to show he’s back in good shape? Last time I saw him he looked like he weighed maybe 165 pounds and his clothes were hanging off him. Wouldn’t he be looking to put a new picture in coaches’ and GM’s heads?

36. The league office’s way to avoid a image destroying law suit and what better landing place than Baltimore.
    They’ve covered their bases.

37. madmax80 says:
    Jul 27, 2017 2:10 PM
    Looks like I will not be watching the NFL again this year . . .
    ————————-

Goodbye! You will not be missed.

38. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.
    I’m free to call my boss an incompetent moron with no talent; he’s free to call me an unemployed loudmouth with no holiday bonus.

See how it works?

Besides, only the government can restrict free speech; it’s in the first five words – “Congress shall make no law…”

39. coucheselite says:
    Jul 27, 2017 2:38 PM

———————-

Sadly, some of the idiots think it is worse.

40. “And there are no exceptions in the NFL right now – each and every one is a running back with throwing capabilities.”

So you are saying that Dak and Wilson are running QB’s? Do you watch the NFL? Pretty sure these two go through all of their check-downs before even thinking about running.

41. hokies4life says:
    Jul 27, 2017 2:28 PM
    ______________________

Well, bye

42. “I already made up my mind if kap is not signed I will boycott the NFL. Its a slap in the face to the black race”

Interesting- what does that make tebow?

Reminds me of everytime tebow was cut- he released a public statement proclaiming his goal.

Tebow was almost certainly not as good of a quarterback as Kaep, but he didn’t assume everybody should read his mind.

I personally hope Kaep plays because he’s great athelete and has more ability than more than a few starters. That said he managed the PR for his protests horribly. Being that PR is much easier than playing NFL QB, it’s fair to ask “what does he want” and then move on when he can’t issue a press release.

43. petersjeffrey36 says:
    Jul 27, 2017 2:23 PM

—————————–

I’m not interested in my favorite player, actor or musicians political views. I care if they can throw the ball, bring the part to life or sing the song. I would be most happy if they kept their yap shut and stuck to their wheelhouse.

44. You people keep missing the point about Kaep’s “crime”. It is not that what he was protesting about or how he did it, but that he was a QB being paid to represent the team. As the main face of the team, he represented the owner. The venue was not his. He took unfair advantage of his job to present his own personal political views as if it represented the entire team including all staff and owners. It is similar to hitting on a waitress whose job requires her to be nice to customers. Until the customer crosses the line, she has to stand there and smile and be polite to a man she may not have interest in.

45. petersjeffrey36 says:
    Jul 27, 2017 2:23 PM

———————————————————————

There is a time and place for everything and kneeling while the National Anthem is played in an NFL stadium is not that time or place.
    If you don’t see how what Kaepernick did took away from football, you must have been with Gilligan and the gang on that island.
    Do yourself a favor and look at photos of Kaepernick from his first couple of years in the league and now. Do you think his priority is football? No. He wanted to make himself a martyr so he chose to do something which angered millions of Americans. Now he has to live with that.
    I can’t stand the rat and wish he would go live somewhere else.