Martellus Bennett goes all in with Packers

Getty Images

Packers tight end Martellus Bennett has been called “cheesy” before, but the name seemed to fit perfectly as he conducted interviews Thursday wearing a foam cheesehead.

“I usually like the metaphorical cheese that goes in my pocket, but the cheese that goes on my head works as well,” Bennett said. via Rob Demovsky of ESPN. “I’ve had this for a while. Sometimes I wear it around the building just to let the guys know that I’m part of the culture. I like it, though.”

Packers coach Mike McCarthy refers to Bennett’s “big personality,” and it fits.

Bennett, 30, expects Green Bay to be his last stop after winning a Super Bowl with the Patriots last season. He said he took advantage of the 30 percent employee discount in the Packers’ Pro Shop, buying the cheesehead soon after he signed a three-year, $21 million deal.

On Tuesday night, Bennett spent the night in front of his locker at Lambeau Field after arriving at St. Norbert College to find the dorms locked.

“I was really sleepy throughout the day [Wednesday], but I toughed it through,” Bennett said. “It’s kind of weird sleeping in a corporate environment; you never get too comfortable. I like to Winnie the Pooh it, which is just sleep in like a hoodie, and nothing else like Winnie the Pooh, but I can’t do that here because if I Winnie the Pooh’d it here in my locker, it’s just weird. So I couldn’t get too comfortable to get too much sleep.”

Bennett handed reporters copies of his new comic book after his 30-minute interview ended.

48 responses to “Martellus Bennett goes all in with Packers

1. I love it. Packer fans are just eating this stuff up, as they think this is the biggest offseason acquisition in the NFL this year. I’m sure he’s going to get off to a great start, too. Then he’ll fall off and have a disappointing second half, just like every other year of his career.

2. He said he took advantage of the 30 percent employee discount in the Packers’ Pro Shop, buying the cheesehead soon after he signed a three-year, $21 million deal.
    —————-
    Funny dude, taking advantage of a 30 percent employee discount on a $20 item and choosing to sleep on the locker room floor instead of getting a hotel room after getting a three-year, $21 million deal.

Well I guess that is better than pissing away his money buying his own comic book line.

3. This guy sounds like a free-spirited trip. I am looking forward to this season.

4. H e was a fun addition to an otherwise monotone Patriots locker room last season. But the Patriots also moved on from him after one year, trading for Dwayne Allen before even entering negotiations w Bennett. Not a bad guy but his contrived routine can get tiresome.

5. I’m a Packers fan. I obviously hope it turns out great, but as of now wish they would’ve signed Cook instead. He was so happy to be a Packer, and his speed made all the difference with their passing game. Bennett doesn’t have the speed and I don’t think he is as dedicated either. Sure hope I’m wrong.

6. Nelson, Adams, and Allison at WR.

Cobb and Ty Montgomery in the backfield.

Bennett at right tackle (checks in as tackle eligible).

That ought to be enough to cause the entire “vaunted Zimmer defense” to quit on him in week 6 as opposed to quitting position group by position group like last year.

7. I like Martellus Bennett. He would be fun to have in any locker room. Good signing by the pack.

8. The local media (and apparently, the national media – if that’s what one calls Demovsky) are looking forward to having this guy to interview. A diversion from the usual canned replies they get from Packers’ players and coaching staff.

I believe we’ll see more two tight end sets with Bennett and Kendricks more often than seeing wide-outs and slot guys running freely.

I’ll take Bennett’s attitude any day. He hasn’t slammed anyone – and hasn’t talked “negative stuff” and … I believe that whomever predicted 12 TD’s for Bennett, is right on — or — Kendrick will have 12 TD’s. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

9. djvh2 says:
    Jul 27, 2017 10:39 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I too was a bit upset when the news broke about Cook being allowed to walk.. until the Bennett news broke… and then the Kendricks news broke. Kendricks almost IS Cook and I firmly believe Bennett to be an upgrade over both of them.

For the most part, Bennett was a team guy in Chicago. There was some grumbling near the end but in all honesty there seemed to be a lot of dysfunction in that locker room at that time.

Every single post I’ve seen about Bennett from Patriots fans has been all positive. Great teammate, funny, engaging, great player even while sharing time with Gronk, etc. Coincidentally, Bill Belichick keeps his locker room drama-free, as does Mike McCarthy.

10. As my post above says, it’s quite possible the Pack could run what amounts to a 6WR set on offense, with two of them quite capable of running the ball and Aaron Rodgers making the decisions. Who’s going to defend that? How are they going to defend it?
    _____

By putting Rodgers on his back. You throw six WRs out there and there won’t be enough protection. Rodgers gets rattled when he gets hit.

11. One thing I am always reminded of is that there is only one ball and a finite number number of plays and games. I believe that the record for points in a season is 560 something. So to achieve roughly 600 points, the team will have to score an average of 37.5 points per game. Some of that will come from field goals, a little from the defense, and the rest from the offense. So having made some assumptions, and a few calculations, if the remaining points were TDs and divided equally among the 6 play makers, then none of them will have more than 10 TDs on the season. Another thing I am reminded of – then reality hits. Between injuries, a couple off days, stuff happens revising all the predictions with the difficulties of the season.

12. The Phantom Stranger says:
    Jul 28, 2017 12:51 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rodgers gets the ball out quicker than any QB in history. He’s also more accurate on the move than any QB in history. Bennett is an excellent blocker. If defenders think they’re going to pin their ears back, Rodgers kills them with the hard count and puts an end to that… in a hurry.

“Rodgers gets rattled….” is yet another delusion. The highest career passer rating, the highest career QBR, the highest career completion percentage, 8 straight playoff appearances, a Super Bowl win, a Super Bowl MVP and two league MVPs is hardly “rattled.”

Do you just make this kind of nonsense up on the fly or do you have an “Encyclopedia Nonsensical” to fall back on?

13. Green Bay is one of the most sacked teams year in and year out.

2016 22
    2015 23
    2014 8
    2013 25
    2012 29
    2011 23

Minnesota is only slightly better but I do not claim it is great or gush over pretend stats and make believe lineups like the cheeseheads above.

14. cheeseisfattening says:
    Jul 28, 2017 3:20 PM

Green Bay is one of the most sacked teams year in and year out.

2016 22
    2015 23
    2014 8
    2013 25
    2012 29
    2011 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And Cheesy comes along at just the right time and proves my point perfectly. I never said Rodgers doesn’t get sacked, I simply pointed out that he doesn’t get “rattled.” He absolutely takes some sacks when holding the ball looking for the back-breaker to his opponent… and yet, he still owns your Vikings.

15. By saying that “Rodgers gets the ball out faster than anyone” it infers that he will not get sacked. That is the reason getting iot out fast is important.

If he is highly sacked I kind of doubt that he gets the ball out all that fast all of the time. But don’t let me introduce any kind of logic to this discussion.

16. Rodgers takes his fair share of sacks because he stays in the pocket for an ungodly amount of time before he starts to scramble and successfully make plays. The Packer O-line isn’t perfect and they can’t be expected to maintain the pocket for an eternity, but they do quite well.

The Vikings sack total is near Green Bay’s, but for very different reasons. Their overpaid O-line sucks.

17. But don’t let me introduce any kind of logic to this discussion.
    ———————
    Everyone understands that logic, Cabbage just needed to double talk at that point.

———————
    So you are saying Green Bay receivers can’t get open.

18. I wonder… if I had said “Rodgers has the ability to get the ball out faster than anyone,” would there be less purple butt-hurt?

When Rodgers takes a sack, he takes it by passing up the “Bradford dinks & dunks” while looking to make a big play. He’s proven to be better against the blitz than anyone in history. That’s just a fact.

In case you guys are wondering, facts are things that actually happened and can be verified… unlike delusions along the lines of “Rodgers gets rattled.”

19. cheeseisfattening says:
    Jul 28, 2017 4:52 PM
    So you are saying Green Bay receivers can’t get open.
    ////////////////////////////////////

No. I’m not saying that. You’re saying that.

Read it again. I’m saying the Vikings O-line sucks.

20. “So you are saying Green Bay receivers can’t get open.”

That’s why I am surprised they let Cook go. The receivers weren’t getting open at all, and for about a year Rodgers appeared to have lost it because of that. When Cook was healthy again, everything came together and their offense was among the top 3 statistically after Cook returned. Packers run-the-table happened when Cook returned, and Rodgers’ passer rating was over 120 during that stretch.

It seems to me that Cook helped get receivers open. I don’t expect Bennett is enough of a big-play threat to have that effect. I expect to see Green Bay receivers have trouble getting open again.

21. This is another essential difference between Vikings fans and Packer fans. Both teams are consistently in the bottom half of the league in taking sacks. Viking fans will tell you it is because their Oline has been bad.

Packer fans will tell its because the QB is factually the best ever, the OLine its quite well, its not the WRS fault. Huh? So why do they take so many sacks if everyone is the best of the best of the best?

And Packer fans say Viking fans are Pollyannas. LOL SMH.

22. Lots of viking fans commenting on the new Packers tight ends – not just in this story but in others as well. Is that fear I smell? I think so.

23. Nobody said the Packers are the best of the best… but the offense is consistently among the best in the league, even with the sacks that come when Rodgers gets greedy.

Rodgers is better than any QB the Vikings have ever had, including Favre.

The Packers’ O-line is light years better than your Vikings’ highest paid O-line in the history of the world.

Diggs, Thielen and Treadwell might make the Packers’ practice squad but on their best day they couldn’t crack the 53. Not even close.

As djvh2 says above, this offense only gets better with a productive TE and hopefully, they now have two of them.

The Packers’ running game was much better than the Vikings’ running game even before Purple Jesus got hurt, with Ty Montgomery averaging 5.9 per carry over the 5 games he started and on pace for barely under a thousand yards in a 16 game season. Now Purple Jesus is gone, Murray is hurt, and Cook is an unproven head-case rookie with character concerns.

Even with all of this, which is nothing but factual, your delusions have you yapping. I swear I love you. Please don’t ever change.

24. cheeseisfattening says:
    Jul 28, 2017 7:14 PM
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////

Who said they were the best of the best? Nobody. You. You said that.

25. The best of the best of the best = He’s proven to be better against the blitz than anyone in history. That’s just a fact.

Thanks djvh2 for recognizing the obvious!

26. As a NE fan, I saw Bennett as fairly dependable TE, but he isn’t quick at all, and if you saw the SB, he had no flexibility. Perhaps injuries made him look stiff, but time will tell. Although, as a tall man, Arron can rifle a high pass his way when everybody else is covered.
    That is the one thing going for Bennett, he has a better arm throwing balls his way. I admit, Arron has a better arm, but I think Brady makes better decisions.

27. What a fun thread. I’ve learned that there’s no point in even playing the games this year.

Cancel the season and just give the pack the trophy.

28. cheeseisfattening says:
    Jul 29, 2017 5:18 PM

Thanks djvh2 for recognizing the obvious!
    /////////////////////////////////

You’re talking about two different things, then assimilating them for your own agenda. You do that a lot. It’s called Fake News.

29. finchy74 says:
    Jul 30, 2017 2:28 AM

Cancel the season and just give the pack the trophy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can certainly see how you’d see it that way, being hopelessly purple and all, but the Lions are subject to put up quite a fight again this year and the Bears might also have something to say about it all.

Next!

30. stellarperformance says:
    Jul 30, 2017 12:51 PM
    I think finchy74 is a Pats fan, not Vikings (I think.)
    ——————
    Yes, many fan bases are on here commenting on Green Bay fans being obnoxious. Cabbage screams “purples” at all of them. It is quite funny.

31. No, only purples are purples… and Pats fans know as well as, if not better than, anyone that they don’t just give Lombardis away. If they did, everyone would have them.

Championships are not earned in the offseason anywhere outside of Violet Valhalla.

32. cheeseisfattening says:
    Jul 30, 2017 2:45 PM
    /////////////////////////////////

I went back and read them all. None. None but you, as usual. More Fake News by the Fake News Champion.