Teddy Bridgewater: I’m in it for the long haul

AP

Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater met with the media on Thursday for the first time since suffering the knee injury that kept him from playing at all last season and said that he thought spending the last year rehabbing has made him a better person.

Bridgewater said that the injury made him more “appreciative” of the things he has in life because he’s seen how quickly things you love can be taken away. Bridgewater said he’s “learning my body all over again” now that he’s been able to get on the field to take snaps and make throws, something he called a “constant grind” that he makes it through by drawing inspiration from his mother’s battle with breast cancer.

“You have days when you don’t see the progress, but it’s a long process,” Bridgewater said. “I’m in it for the long haul. I want to be the best version of Teddy I can be.”

Bridgewater said that the injury hasn’t changed his goals as a football player and that he hasn’t had any doctors tell him that he won’t be able to resume playing again. He doesn’t know when that will be, but said it will be a significant milestone when he’s ready to face a live defense again.

“That first initial hit or contact will tell me I can do this,” Bridgewater said. “If I can do it one time, I can do it forever.”

The uncertain time line explains why Bridgewater said he isn’t spending time worrying about the fact that the Vikings didn’t exercise their option on his contract for the 2018 season as there’s not much point thinking about contracts until he’s all the way back into action. The biggest message Bridgewater sent on Thursday is that he has little doubt that day will come.

56 responses to “Teddy Bridgewater: I’m in it for the long haul

1. But wait, I thought everyone was certain he would never play again after reports that came out months ago (when he was in the very early stages if rehab)

The beautiful part in this is he won’t turn 25 till the middle of the season. Keep it up teddy!

2. Bridgewater might be one of my TOP FIVE Miami, Florida football athletes.

He isn’t the typical modern insecure embarrassing cliches like antonia brown or chad ochojohnson.

3. It depends how fast he can run. If he can’t sprint out of the pocket it’s not going to work. That step RG III lost was a career changer. I wish him all the bestest though.

4. I just want to thank all the Viking fans for reminding me, once again, that Teddy B. is the greatest human being this side of Tim Tebow and one of the few young injured players worthy of rooting for in the NFL.

I had almost forgotten since the last Teddy Bridgewater story broke, what was it???? Yesterday?

5. This kid was the real deal before he got hurt. I for one hope he makes it back and then gets even better. So much promise with him.

6. I appreciate the kid’s passion. This was a devastating injury he had and a very long recovery. The Vikings may have made a mistake by not signing him to a low-ball extension now in hopes of him being healthy in 2018.

7. dal1as says:
    Jul 27, 2017 1:34 PM

——————

8. ariani1985 says:
    Jul 27, 2017 12:42 PM
    the packer trolls just tinkled in their zubas with this news!

27 27

——————————-

Article has nothing to do with the Packers, but you brought them up in the 2nd comment…sucks to be the little brother, doesn’t it?

9. “Real deal? He threw 28 TDs in 32 games….. That isn’t going to win any championships.”

I think he meant “real deal” as in the next Alex Smith, both when it comes to the number of touchdown passes and playoff wins.

10. Teddy is done playing but will have a successful life.. I bet he doesn’t blow his $$$$ on stupid sh…

11. Ariani, have you ever once made a post that didn’t mention the packers? I’ve literally never seen one. Try rooting for YOUR team instead of trolling another.

12. thetooloftools says:
    Jul 27, 2017 1:10 PM

______

Teddy has always been a pass-first quarterback who doesn’t depend on running to make plays. The comparison to RGIII is ludicrous.

13. wafflestomp says:
    Jul 27, 2017 1:18 PM

______

Funny, I didn’t see any comments like that on this story. I saw some non-Viking fans chiming in with their best wishes. I know the Packers’ quarterback is one of the most unlikeable people on the face of the earth, so I guess you just don’t understand that some people can engender sincere affection from others. I guess that’s why your comments are generally about tearing others down.

14. pkrlvr says:
    Jul 27, 2017 2:07 PM

_______

Does anyone see the irony here? Ariani is a bit, whereas you are seriously telling someone not to troll another team.

15. “Real deal? He threw 28 TDs in 32 games….. That isn’t going to win any championships.”

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Guess how many touchdowns Aaron Rodgers threw for in 2010 when Green Bay one the Super Bowl.

ANSWER: 28 touchdowns

LOL… sub-moronic poster!!!

16. Glad he finally spoke to the media and appears to be recovering. Given his development over the first two years and lousy O-lines, his future as an above average NFL QB was still a question mark before his injury — the unfortunate thing is that question mark is now a bit bigger. However, there’s no reason at all for Vikings fans to feel shame for cheering on his recovery, or to pay attention to the losers that mock that enthusiasm.

17. 17-11 record as a starter, including 11-5 in his second year and embarassing GB at Lambeau field to take the NFC North. It’s about winning, not about how many TD passes your throw. Teddy is a winner and all class. If you say you don’t like Teddy, you’re either a liar or have no soul.

18. I wish Teddy was my friend. For real. I’m pulling for this dude, I hope he comes back and has a hell of a career and life after football when he hangs his cleats up. This is a role model.

19. allight59 says:
    Jul 27, 2017 2:51 PM
    ______________

I like Teddy so I was going to avoid commenting but when the BS card came out I had to say something.

Not only did Teddy not embarrass the Packers in the game you are referencing, he actually played poorly. Lets not start making up things now. Oh, wait… It’s allight, I am asking you to get a whole new personality if you stop BS’ing all the time.

20. troylok says:
    Jul 27, 2017 1:36 PM

—————————

Being that he was a 1st round draft pick, the Vikings’ only option on a Bridgewater contract would have been to sign him to a 5th year option, at a pre-determined amount.

21. doctorrustbelt says:
    Jul 27, 2017 2:35 PM

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

ANSWER: 28 touchdowns

LOL… sub-moronic poster!!!

————-

So it took Teddy two years to throw as many TDs as Rodgers did on one season……and you call me sub-moronic?

22. doctorrustbelt says:

ANSWER: 28 touchdowns

LOL… sub-moronic poster!!!
    —————————-

In 16 games………

Rodgers had 37 TDs including the playoffs that season. Send me a note when Bridgewater hits that total for his entire career.

And when the ice has cleared from your very shallow lake, perhaps you will try to figure out what “context’ means.

23. thetooloftools says:
    Jul 27, 2017 1:10 PM

———————–
    Except, Bridgewater is a pocket passer with mobility… RG3 was a running quarterback that didn’t have the mental aspect down.

24. truthbetold109 says:
    Jul 27, 2017 3:17 PM

you’ve just helped make my point with your inane post….I repeat….

Teddy WON the game and the NFC North.

Meanwhile, Erin in the Conference game had some pretty good stats…27-45, 287 YDS, 3 TD, 1 INT

yet he LOST in a blowout 44-21. IT’S ABOUT WINNING…truthisnowbeingtold

SKOL

25. allight,

You said teddy embarrassed the Packers. Sorry, Pal, but that is a total lie.

You are right, it is about winning and the Packers have been the second most winning team in the entire league for the past decade. The truth you tell is in isolated windows because that is all you have. Too bad you blend it with lies like saying teddy embarrassed GB cause that didn’t happen.

SKOLOL!

26. Teddy B is proof that God is a soccer fan. Bridgewater is what is right about people/ athletes. Teddy B is a leader of men. All shapes/sizes and colors should look to this kid on how to be and how to act. Nice work Teddy.

27. No one is saying Teddy is not a great guy, any reasonable football fan who has seen him play would rate him from slightly below average to average at best. He scares no NFL defense with the velocity on this throws and most of his wins came with a Peterson at RB.

He had decent speed and used his running ability when a passing play broke down so if he has lost a step or two, he’s useless. My hope is the Vikings keep giving him a chance because the longer the experiment, the longer the Vikings are irrelevant. That is if they were really relevant in the first place.

28. I don’t know how Teddy would have done last year if he hadn’t gotten hurt and I don’t know how Teddy will do when he comes back. In his first two years, he had his struggles and he had his successes. This is to be expected from any young quarterback. He was the last pick in the first round, not the first overall pick. He was forced to start his rookie year because the starter got injured. That wasn’t the plan, but he still made the all-rookie team. His second year, he was forced to play in a different offense than the one he had practiced the entire offseason because Adrian Peterson couldn’t play in it. There was a lot of optimism last year that he was going to take a big step forward based on his training camp and preseason.

The stats may not be beautiful, but they’re very comparable to the stats that many successful quarterbacks put up in their first two years. He doesn’t have a lot of TD passes, but he also played in an offense that refused to throw the ball inside the 10-yard line because they expected Peterson to run the ball in every time.

If you judged every quarterback on his first two years in the league, Aaron Rodgers would be a colossal bust.

29. sucks to be the little brother, doesn’t it?
    ————————————-

not as bad as it does in Wisconsin where little brother ends up with second choice of sister wives…

30. wafflestomp says:
    Jul 27, 2017 1:18 PM

____________

You do realize that you are not required to read Viking related stories, don’t you?

31. diveleft says:
    Jul 28, 2017 10:09 AM
    /////////////////////////////////////

…..says yet another in a long line of Packer-hating stalker-trolls.

32. Hearing Bridgewater talk about ‘learning to walk again’ put most of this into perspective for me. Cue Packer morons talking about the foolish decision to trade for Bradford…

33. stellarperformance says:
    Jul 28, 2017 11:58 AM
    diveleft says:
    Jul 28, 2017 10:09 AM
    /////////////////////////////////////

…..says yet another in a long line of Packer-hating stalker-trolls.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

This coming from one of the regular Viking -hating stalker trolls.

34. Man, a lot of you people are huge pricks. Teddy is one of the most inspirational people I’ve ever seen. He doesn’t complain or give up, he just smiles and continues his journy.

35. As the resident voice of reason, my unbiased viewpoint is that the Bridgewater pick has been another massive disappointment for Spielman.

You can’t help the club from the tub.

36. Filthy says he’s the resident voice of reason. If that’s the case then why are all his entries always showing at least twice as many thumbs down than up??