Anthony Barr admits his effort needs to improve

Getty Images

Vikings outside linebacker Anthony Barr wasn’t quite the impact player the team hoped he’d be last season, finishing with career lows in sacks and total tackles despite being healthy for all 16 games for the first time in his three years in the NFL. Barr admits that part of the problem is he just has to try harder.

Barr was criticized by coach Mike Zimmer for coasting too much, and Barr said at the start of training camp that his effort has to improve.

“It starts with my effort and picking that up,” Barr said, via the Star-Tribune. “That’s a big emphasis for me this offseason and I feel good right now.”

The Vikings picked up Barr’s $12.3 million option for 2018, so they obviously still think he can have a bright future in Minnesota. But if Barr doesn’t put in more effort this year, the Vikings may re-think whether they want him to be one of their highest-paid players next year.

37 responses to “Anthony Barr admits his effort needs to improve

1. Kudos to this guy for his honesty at least. Not many pro athletes will admit to slouching. Maybe now that the Vikings and Randy Moss are back in good graces, they can ask him to give Barr a pep talk. I’ll bet that will do him a lot of good.

2. Should be a DE/LB in a 3-4 system. Id much rather see him rushing the passer than trying to cover.

3. Most players are loathe to admit they’re giving anything less than 100% effort, so it appears that the coaches have really gotten through to him and he’s owning it. With that $12.3 million guaranteed for injury only, I’d be very surprised if Barr doesn’t go out and have a great season.

4. Should be a DE/LB in a 3-4 system. Id much rather see him rushing the passer than trying to cover.
    ____

He would probably be really good in that system but his first two years showed that he can be really good in a 4-3 as well. Look for him to do a lot more pass rushing this year.

5. tjacks7 says:
    Jul 31, 2017 5:00 PM

The guy coasted to 70 tackles last year? To put that in perspective, Speed Bunp Matthews only averages 38 tackles a year.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clay also averages a division championship every year and a Super Bowl championship once every seven years. I’m glad you’re happy with Barr’s meaningless stats, though.

6. tjacks7 says:
    Jul 31, 2017 5:00 PM
    —————————
    Can you Barneys EVER post the truth on here.
    70 tackles? skoLOL
    Try 37. Unless you’re going to add in assists, which absolutely nobody does.

Please, don’t even try and compare Clay Matthews to this clown, because you’re just going to make yourself look stupid.
    Oh Hell, let’s do it anyway.

Anthony Barr: First 3 Seasons.

TKLs: 146
    FF: 6 FR: 3
    INTs: 1
    DEF TDs: 1
    SACKS: 9.5

Clay Matthews: First 3 Seasons

TKLs: 131
    FF: 6. FR: 3
    INT: 4
    DEF TDs: 4
    SACKS: 29.5

7. Their fans say it’s one of the best defenses ever. They have lazy players and players that quit on their coach. Just think how amazing they can be if they start to care! As a Packers fan, I sure am scared.

8. Once a quitter always a quitter.

Sure he will try…..for a while. Then he will be right back to quitting.

Maybe Zimmer should execute 50 stuffed animals to get this kid fired up because the handful he killed before didn’t do the job.

9. Frankly, I see him as a disappointment. He didn’t lead and disappeared for long stretches of time. Barr is a great example of the 2016 Minnesota Vikings; supposed to be good, but wasn’t.

10. Bit of a waste having him drop back and cover TE’s. He would make a great DE; maybe they move him there after Griffen retires in 5 years.

11. You cant teach “want to.” No matter what he says he will always be a guy who coasts off his talent. I’m not saying dont resign him, but id think twice about giving a guy like that finacial security. Heavy performance incentives is the way to go.

12. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    Jul 31, 2017 5:20 PM

tjacks7 says:
    Jul 31, 2017 5:00 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

…………………..
    I was pretty sure, but looked it up anyway, the Clay Matthews have never won a championship of any kind.
    I’ve read tons of your posts on Viking articles, even though you’ve stated that you would never troll another team, and honestly most are clever. This one, not so much. I for one, was not impressed with Barrs performance last year. Hopefully he responds to being called out.

13. As a Packers fan, I sure am scared.
    —————————————-

I guess it was monthly weigh in time….

14. igocommando says:
    Jul 31, 2017 7:50 PM
    The Almighty Cabbage says:
    Jul 31, 2017 5:20 PM

tjacks7 says:
    Jul 31, 2017 5:00 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

…………………..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apparently you missed the iconic photo of Matthews draping a championship belt over Aaron Rodgers’ shoulder as Rodgers hoisted the Lombardi Trophy. Or maybe I hallucinated it. Nope… didn’t hallucinate it… hopefully this works…

15. igocommando says:
    Jul 31, 2017 7:50 PM
    The Almighty Cabbage says:
    Jul 31, 2017 5:20 PM

tjacks7 says:
    Jul 31, 2017 5:00 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

…………………..
    …………………….

Actually he was on the Super Bowl XLV Champion team. You must not follow the sport very closely. And you clearly didn’t “look it up”

16. wafflestomp says:
    Jul 31, 2017 5:36 PM

tjacks7 says:
    Jul 31, 2017 5:00 PM
    —————————
    Can you Barneys EVER post the truth on here.
    70 tackles? skoLOL
    Try 37. Unless you’re going to add in assists, which absolutely nobody does.

Oh Hell, let’s do it anyway.

Anthony Barr: First 3 Seasons.

TKLs: 146
    FF: 6 FR: 3
    INTs: 1
    DEF TDs: 1
    SACKS: 9.5

Clay Matthews: First 3 Seasons

TKLs: 131
    FF: 6. FR: 3
    INT: 4
    DEF TDs: 4
    SACKS: 29.5
    This is when clay Mathews was on the juice! now that he got tested a few times he is off the juice and it really shows!

17. I don’t troll, I only respond TO the trolls. I just do it rather well.

Anyways… you must have missed the iconic photo of Matthews draping a championship “belt” over Aaron Rodgers’ shoulder while Rodgers hoisted the Super Bowl XLV Lombardi Trophy in February of 2011. Matthews recorded 3 tackles and 1 forced fumble in the game and was selected First Team All-Pro on the season. He was most definitely an integral part of that year’s run.

I know that isn’t nearly as impressive to tjacks7 as whatever made-up number of tackles he attributes to Barr, but I guess we’ll just have to live with it.

18. While our big brothers to the east embrace multiple championships, we continue to embrace the suck!!

19. thevikes99 says:
    Jul 31, 2017 9:44 PM

_________

And to think he’s still stuck with that Frankenstein forehead. Poor guy.

20. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    Jul 31, 2017 10:08 PM

I don’t troll, I only respond TO the trolls. I just do it rather well.

_________________

Hilarious- I love it when people have to tell you how good they are at something. You’re robably the sexiest man alive too.

21. thevikes99 says:

_______
    His play dropped off after a shoulder injury.
    When exactly did Clay ever test positive for PED’s?

Don’t worry, I’ll Wait!

22. mnvikes1961 says:
    Aug 1, 2017 12:32 PM

The Almighty Cabbage says:
    Jul 31, 2017 10:08 PM

I don’t troll, I only respond TO the trolls. I just do it rather well.

_________________

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not even close. Cabbages are a lot of things, but sexy is not one of them.

If I don’t do it well, why do you purples cry about me so much?

And btw… it’s nice to see you. The last time I helped you make a fool of yourself and you ran off pouting, I feared you’d never come back. The purples that filled the void are much weaker and not nearly as much fun.

23. See that’s what I like about you. You’re different than these others. The first step is realizing there’s a problem. Good for you! Just a few more steps and you can graduate from purple to actual Viking fan.

24. Barr was a little banged up last year too. He will be fine .I look forward to watching him play.