Gareon Conley: “I was the target of malicious and false accusations”

AP

Raiders first-round draft pick Gareon Conley spent three months under investigation for rape. Now that prosecutors have announced he will not be charged, he says he’s the victim in the case.

Conley released a statement saying that he was victimized by a false accusation by a woman who said he raped her in a Cleveland hotel room.

“I am thankful that this burden has been lifted as I enter training camp with my new teammates and organization,” Conley said. “I am thankful to the City of Cleveland and the Cleveland police for reaching a conclusion based on the facts, not speculation. I am thankful to the Raiders organization for believing in me, drafting me, and supporting me. Finally, I am thankful to my agent and my team for never relenting in their defense of me as a person and client. The past few months have been extremely trying for me and my family. Although I was the target of malicious and false accusations, I do realize however that I could’ve exercised better judgment and that there are still lessons for me to take away and grow from. I look forward to earning my role with the Raiders and hopefully rewarding them for believing in me.”

The Raiders chose Conley with the 24th overall pick in the draft despite the looming rape investigation, which has now been resolved.

56 responses to “Gareon Conley: “I was the target of malicious and false accusations”

2. Apparently it was consensual. But please, wake up, stop taking skanks back to your hotel room when you’re drunk and horny.

3. What gets me is that the accusers almost always just walk away after the accusation.

No punishment for her?

He either assaulted her or he didn’t. So if he didn’t, shouldn’t she receive some form of discipline? Of course most of these cases have a very large grey area. However, regret is not rape.

4. But please, wake up, stop taking skanks back to your hotel room when you’re drunk and horny.

Or get her to sign a consent form like PC Fraternity in South Park.

5. Send this woman to jail. There should be consequences for this crap. Look at Brian Banks. Banks spent years in jail and that most likely cost him a chance to play in the NFL. Throw the book at these gold diggers.

6. And thanks for all the haters who bashed Reggie and the Raider organization for believing in this guy as a good person who just did a dumb thing ….we were all young once and chased the bar skanks !!!

WERE BACK

GREAT PICK REGGIE

RAIDER4LIFE

7. Next week, this guy will be in tha club popping collars, making it rain, sharing women with other men at the same time dawg on my momma, all that goofy hood crap. My culture is not in to any of that

8. Hopefully we have found a #1 shut down corner to go along with that demon that wears #52 flying off the edge like a bat out of hell. All BS aside, learn from this and be a better man for it, kid.

9. For those wondering why he doesn’t sue the accuser: It sounds appealing, but there are several reasons not to including:

1) His damages are difficult to calculate with reasonable certainty. It’s impossible to prove exactly where he would have been drafted absent the allegation;
    2) The accuser most likely has no assets from which to collect any judgment; and
    3) Her attorney could conduct discovery regarding his past sexual history.

10. the people in the room then lied to the police. They said nothing happened. The girl was kicked out.
    The truth now is ???? No surprise he got off.

(Redacted) said his best friend, Gareon R. Conley, was with the white girl. (Redacted) said Conley never touched her and the white girl got mad because she got kicked out of the room. Witness 2 (Redacted) said he was sitting in the chair by the window the whole time Conley and (the victim) were in the room. (Redacted) said Conley and (Redacted) were relaying (sic) on the bed together, but nothing happened. (Redacted) said the room is in Conley’s name, but did not know where he was at the time of this interview.

11. This statement might just be a shot across the bow to discourage her from filing a civil claim. The fact that he passed a lie detector test and that the security camera footage shows that at least some aspects of her version of events were false should be enough to convince her that she probably wouldn’t win, but who knows what she will do with the scumbag lawyers whispering in her ear

12. The worst part is she will sue him in civil court and he will be forced to settle and she will end up getting paid. It’s unfortunate but if you have no shame you can take a bunch of money away from someone who worked really hard to get it.

13. “Apparently it was consensual. But please, wake up, stop taking skanks back to your hotel room when you’re drunk and horny.”

Pretty sure he covered this with “I do realize however that I could’ve exercised better judgment and that there are still lessons for me to take away and grow from.” He does have the talking part done, can he actually grow and learn from this is still to be seen. Good luck kid!

14. It’s remarkable how different the tone of the comments are compared to the situation with Zeke, even though the situations are the same.

15. Funny every article on this site always kept referring about what would happen if he was charged or even found guilty. NOT ONCE was it ever mentioned on this site that this kid could be innocent and the Raiders got the steal of the draft and in the end that’s exactly what happen.

going to be funny watching the Raiders hoist a couple of more Lombardi trophies over the next several years with all the haters out there

16. “I was the target of malicious and false accusations”

Well, maybe you should have been straight from the beginning, Conley. First, you said nothing happened, then it was admitted by your lawyer that it was consensual. You put yourself in that predicament, and drew even more speculation by changing your story.

Ezekiel Elliott was found innocent by the PD, the girl lied and tried to get others to lie for her (which was proven in text messages). The NFL i now going back to an earlier “incident” with dragging this thing out WAY too long to try and set the tone for suspensions based on events that may or may not have happened BEFORE he was in the league.

I expect Bozo Goodell (if he is consistent, but he’s not) to suspend you too, as your actions (whether guilty or not) are drawing scrutiny to the NFL.

All I can say is I hope you learned your lesson. It sounds like in your case and Elliott’s case, a gold digger got a crazy idea in their head and ran with it. Learn from your mistakes and thinking with the wrong head, young man.

17. jsrdc says:
    Aug 1, 2017 2:27 PM

__________________________________

18. @abninf says:

“It’s remarkable how different the tone of the comments are compared to the situation with Zeke, even though the situations are the same.”

This is a different situation altogether. Zeke’s case was alleged DV. Conley’s case was alleged rape. Zeke also never changed his story like Conley did, which made it look that much worse for Conley. Zeke’s accuser lied to police and asked her friends to lie – all confirmed by text messages found on her phone. Both cases were “he said, she said”, but Conley’s case was a lot more serious in nature as far as potential jail time was concerned.

I am with you regarding the tone of the comments. Zeke shouldn’t be suspended whatsoever, but there are a LOT of Cowboy haters out there, including Goodell (who is Mara’s bunk buddy). But that is unlikely Zeke escapes suspension, and if Zeke is suspended, Conley should be as well.

19. As a Chiefs fan I’m sorry he got cleared. Anything that hurts the Raiders makes me smile.

As a human being with 3 ex-wives I realize that in any “he said, she said” neither one is likely to be telling the 100% truth and that applies ten times as much when a female accuser is accusing a man who is likely to become an overnight millionaire.

What really happened that night is something only they will ever really know. But our Justice System has made it’s decision and I am inclined to think they made the right decision.

My congratulations to the Raiders for taking a big risk and having it pay off.

As to Mr. Conley…..I hope you learned from this that every cheap and easy lay in now (because of your NFL status) potentially a HUGE PROBLEM. Be careful where you put your pecker.

20. Meanwhile, the women who actually do get raped are going to have a much harder time proving it in court because of false allegations like this. I’d be pissed if I were women’s groups. These false allegations should be met with the harshest possible penalties. This is a horrible set-back for women.

21. raidernation210 says:

“Well apparently you’re not that bright because this happened BEFORE he was employed by the NFL. Zeke’s accuser was smart waited until he was drafted. So he won’t be suspended but I sure hope that immature punk Zeke get’s what’s coming to him.”

Obviously you haven’t read the NFL conduct policy, which has this particular line in it:

Possible aggravating factors include, but are not limited to, a prior violation of the Personal Conduct Policy, similar misconduct before joining the NFL.

So, “similar conduct before joining the NFL” could also apply to Conley. Oops……

Zeke is an “immature punk”, and you hope he gets “what is coming to him”? Hmmmmm. Hate much? Zeke’s accuser lied (proven by her text messages) about DV where the PD found nothing and dropped the case, yet Conley changed his story and brought even more scrutiny to himself. I wouldn’t call that too convincing in Conley’s case. It went all the way to the Grand Jury to decide there wasn’t enough evidence. In Zeke’s case, there was inconsistent and conflicting statements from accuser from the beginning, and the PD dropped the case quickly as such.

Please, educate yourself before you open your mouth – it only makes you look that more inept. Didn’t you say something about not being too bright?

22. raidernation210 says:
    Aug 1, 2017 2:24 PM

—-

The fact that he was not charged does not prove his innocence.

23. usmutts says:

Aug 1, 2017 12:54 PM

————-

I already know but please, explain why you believe that Conley couldn’t use “fancy words with real sentences and punctuation”.

24. medialovesthecowboys says:
    Aug 1, 2017 1:00 PM

No punishment for her?

————————————————————-

Or these people get paid handsome sums of money not to press charges and to walk away quietly? You think that doesn’t happen? It actually happened a couple of years ago very publicly when one football player (can’t remember who it was) was accused of Domestic Violence. The woman’s face was all busted up and she had a perforated eardrum. All was set to go to trial and she mysteriously never showed up for the hearing. Then she posted pics of her on Facebook going on a lavish vacation and a shopping spree. Gee, wonder where she got the money?

25. Well, Reggie was right and the kid can get to work on replacing Sean “Toast” Smith eventually. I hope he learned his lesson about picking up hos and skanks when you’re rich and famous. Time will tell.

26. billswillnevermove says:
    Aug 1, 2017 1:31 PM
    Raider Trash.

You’re a Jill’s fan!!!! Lmao, stop talking for once, you’re the new Cleveland Browns

27. just glad we were able to get a top ten talent with the 24th pick.. I think the secondary is solid with the additions of Conley, and Obi-Wan Kenobi

Go Raiders!!!!

28. Let’s just assume everyone got what they wanted in this case and leave it at that. Clean slate for everyone. All parties enriched.

29. medialovesthecowboys says:
    Aug 1, 2017 1:00 PM

No punishment for her?

~~~~~~~~~~
    I agree false accusers should receive punishment. My preference is they should face the same sentence the accused would could have received if convicted. The problem is that some cases do not result in formal charges because they never happened the way the accuser said and others don’t reach court because there is a lack of verifiable evidence…the latter does not necessarily mean the accuser was lying or that the crime didn’t happen, just that there was no way to prove it.

30. For those saying the girl should be in trouble. What kind of message would that send to actual rape victims? “you can report this, but if there’s not enough evidence we’re going to go ahead and prosecute you instead” Bad idea. As for Conley, he shouldn’t need a lesson to know this, but inviting random chicks back to your hotel room for a 3some is a bad idea when you have money.

31. “… and I most grateful to my agent who wrote all these fancy words with real sentences and punctuation and everything for me.”

Lol

I was looking for fancy words but I couldn’t find any.

Haters will always hate.

Win, lose or tie… Raiders till I die!

32. jm91rs says:
    Aug 1, 2017 4:20 PM
    ~~~~~~~
    As it stands now, the message is that scammers, gold-diggers or spurned lovers can accuse a guy of rape with absolutely no consequences at all. Usually, the mere accusation itself causes problems for the man even in those cases where the accusation is quickly refuted. How is that message any better? In my prior post, I explained the difficulties with going after the accusers but I do believe the ones that are blatant cash grabs or revenge/regret based should be prosecuted. Admittedly, it is difficult but there needs to be a way to discourage false reports while still encourage real instances of sexual assault.

33. Maybe he learned his lesson. He must start making better decisions. Now that he has some money, they are going to lining up at a chance for a payday.

34. Finally that’s cleared up, now go ball out. And stop doing stupid crap which embarasses your mother.

35. Remember this — he wasn’t found innocent. It was just impossible to determine exactly what happened, and therefore they decided not to go forward.

Now — the Raiders need to sit him down and tell him not to be so stupid in the future. He put himself in this position and he’s lucky the prosecutors have decided not to go forward with the case.

But let’s not automatically pin the woman with the gold digger label, either. It’s just as possible she was telling the truth.

36. “Remember this – he wasn’t found innocent. It was just impossible to determine what happened, and therefore they decided not to go forward”.

Using this flawed reasoning would result in no accused person ever being cleared of a crime. Even if it was conclusively proven in the investigation stage that there was no way the accused person could have committed the crime, resulting in no charges, you would still say “they decided not to go forward”.

Saying that someone wasn’t found innocent is merely a smokescreen to cover up for your preconceived notions of the accused’s guilt.