Julian Edelman, Stephon Gilmore booted from practice after fight

AP

On-field scuffles are a regular occurrence during training camp practices and different teams deal with them in different ways.

The Cowboys weren’t displeased when tussles broke out at their camp last week and coach Jason Garrett said “you’d rather have to dial it back than constantly having to light a fire under these guys.” Patriots coach Bill Belichick has not been a big fan of them in the past and his view of them hasn’t changed this year.

According to multiple reports from Patriots practice on Tuesday, wide receiver Julian Edelman and cornerback Stephon Gilmore came together after an incompletion in the end zone during a drill. Things escalated from there and both players’ helmets came off as they scuffled with one another.

Both players were told to leave the practice field after the fight, which keeps with the standing tradition in New England for how such things are handled.

52 responses to “Julian Edelman, Stephon Gilmore booted from practice after fight

1. They got in a fight for calling each other a cheater … but made up when they realized they were both right.

2. “The Cowboys weren’t displeased when tussles broke out at their camp last week”

They’re not displeased with the thought of signing wife beaters and other criminals either, so why is that a surprise.

Fight at a Pats practice? You’re out for the day. Show up late for a meeting or practice? You’re out for the day even if you’re a star as Revis and others found out.

Which team has been more successful the last 15 years as a result in part of the way they manage they’re players?

3. If you watch minitron on the field during games he takes no crap and backs down to no one. I’m hoping i’m wrong but the big money contract given to
    gilmore is gonna come back to bite them. I’m way more comfortable with the Pats being “cheap” and not giving big bucks to someone who has never played for them.

4. redlikethepig says:
    Aug 1, 2017 11:42 AM

Lame

5. Reading comments from Pats fans always makes me laugh. You guys are such bozos. Can’t wait till Brady and Belicheat are gone so we don’t have to hear from you anymore

6. spartanlegend says:

//////////////////////////////

Well, honey, then stop coming to Pat’s articles and commenting on them. It’s a very simple solution to not hearing about them anymore.

7. Hey redlikethepig, you’re quite the humorist, aren’t you? However, we here in New England recognize a Jets fan when we see one. They’re the ones making “cheater” comments about the Patriots because their team is in its 49th year of rebuilding. Hey I’ll bet there’s another Joe Namath out there somewhere. But, tell me, why in the hell would he want to play for the Jets?

Have a nice season loser.

8. joetoronto says:
    Aug 1, 2017 11:58 AM

You can take the player out of Buffalo, but you can’t take the Buffalo out of the player.
    __________________________________
    Edelman is the one who started it troll. Why don’t you try and get a job instead of posting under 6 ID’s 24/7.

9. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Aug 1, 2017 11:44 AM

Gilmore tried the wrong one this time. Edelman is a bad dude.
    __________________________________
    Actually Hogan is the one who broke it up, he threw Edelman around like a rag doll. You ever see the pipes on Hogan and know how much he can bench? He would destroy Edelman.

10. spartanlegend says:
    Aug 1, 2017 11:54 AM

You’ve been waiting a while now so find a comfortable seat, it’s still a bit of a wait.Or you could just stop trolling Pats articles.

11. Last season during a joint practice with the Bears BB kicked Malcolm Butler out of practice for fighting with Alshon Jeffery. Jeffry was designated to the Bears sideline for the rest of the practice. The following day BB himself got between Martellis Bennett and multiple Bears players.

12. When Brady and Belichick retire, 75% of the Patriots fanbase (27% of which were Seahawks fans 3 years ago) will jump off the bandwagon and leach on to whatever team is the media darling then, claiming they were fans of said media friendly team all along.

#facts

Sidenote: no disrespect to lifelong patriots fans who were diehards before the millennium. The rest of you, maybe seek some therapy and work on your low self-esteem issues in a more productive way.

13. I’m guessing Edelman might have suggest to Gilmore that he still can’t cover him! LOL

Or since it was incomplete, Gilmore decided to boast and was reminded how few times he was able to stop Edelman as a Buffalo Bill.

14. spartanlegend says:
    Aug 1, 2017 11:54 AM

———————

Then what will you have to fill the lonely hours of your days and nights?

15. Patriot hater will be so happy when Belichick and Brady retire … then the hate will continue when McDaniels, Patricia, and Garappolo take over

16. spartanlegend says:
    Aug 1, 2017 11:54 AM

And you’ll still be crying because BB and TB may be gone, but your team will still suck.

17. Instilling discipline from the get go.

Every practice is a game day situation.

This is why the Pats usually have their heads about them in big, and emotional games.

(Although Edelman makes me nervous sometimes. He seems to walk a fine line.)

18. harrisonhits2 says:
    Aug 1, 2017 11:43 AM
    “The Cowboys weren’t displeased when tussles broke out at their camp last week”

75 13

———

you are wasting your time trying to educate trolls

their jealousy of the pats has literally ruined their
    life

19. sports923 says:
    Aug 1, 2017 12:21 PM

8 0

——-

they just don’t get it

as long as the krafts own the team, they will instill
    the exact same concepts bb has laid down for
    cap era managament

they won’t be a lock for 12+ wins per year anymore,
    but they will still be competitively good or very good

meanwhile, 75% of the league’s dumb and lazy,
    greedy owners will continue to abuse their own
    fanbases with focusing on how to use goodell
    to try to cheat the pats and expand overseas

20. I’m perfectly fine with the rule. It’s stupid to fight each other in practice. You can’t do it in a game without hurting your team, so why do it in practice? Start working on your self-control and discipline early in training camp and you will be less likely to take a stupid penalty in a critical situation later on.

21. No problem with this kind of stuff. The Pats biggest obstacles are complacency and believing the hype. In the old days, coaches would pay players to start this kind of thing.

22. “Can’t wait till Brady and Belicheat are gone so we don’t have to hear from you anymore”

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Yeah, and all we’ll have is the memories of five (or more) championship teams and two decades of consistently excellent football.

How awful! LOL

23. yankees2009 says:
    Aug 1, 2017 12:17 PM

#facts

#facts

24. Other teams would be wise to implement this.

But a lot of NFL coaches are straight from the stone age.

You would think its easy to emulate Coach Bill, but many would prefer to stick to the tried and true methods of training camp fights, running a system ill suited to your players because you prefer your own system– or you think Jeff Fisher is brilliant for leading the league in penalties because his team plays “tough.”

Or John Fox is a proven winner because he lost two super bowls. “Peyton, don’t worry about the crowd noise….SAFETY…”

25. yankees2009 says:
    Aug 1, 2017 12:17 PM

////

Hard to see how this is a problem for anyone…

But the truth is, just like 49ers, Steelers, Giants and Cowboy fans, years of winning will create a generation or more loyalty even if the team doesn’t make the playoffs for years and years.

Yeah, even as a pats fan, I am annoyed by the bravado of many of their fans, but if the alternative is a losing team no one cares about, I will take the wins.

26. This is getting boring. At some point in the future, yes, we know the Patriots won’t be this good. You people who hate them and Patriots fans will be so happy. Here’s your problem. You won’t be taking away the Lombardis or the history. Also, Bill Belichick and Nick Caserio know the game and can build another team. You many enjoy a down year or two. Who cares because it’s not happening during the next couple of years.

27. iamthehorniestmanintheworld says:
    Aug 1, 2017 11:47 AM

———————-

I don’t think anything is coming back to bite anyone. Gilmore is a great player and he has played great in camp so far based on all accounts and he is getting paid fair market value for his position.

28. yankees2009 says:
    Aug 1, 2017 12:17 PM

#facts
    ______________________________

This stuff always makes me laugh. So if you were born in say 1994 are you a bandwagon fan? Are you a bandwagon fan simply because your team hasn’t had a losing record since you were 5 or 6?

Seahawk fans 3 years ago? The Pats have been winning for 17 years dude…

29. yankees2009 says:
    Aug 1, 2017 12:17 PM
    #facts

———————

Everyone has to become a fan at some point. My family became fans in 1976. Many people became fans in 2001. Winning creates a fan base. It doesn’t mean the fans are bandwagoners. They are just fans and from my perspective they are welcome.

As great as it has been to be a fan of the Patriots since 2001, I can tell you 2005 to 2013 were all painful in their own way, and seconds before the Butler INT that changed the teams fortunes it looked like the pain would continue. Two Super Bowls later and now all those years of coming up slightly short look like part of the journey.

The Patriots didn’t win every year. They went a decade between titles. Lots of other teams had their moments of glory during the Patriots run.

30. spartanlegend says:
    Aug 1, 2017 11:54 AM

————–

So what you are saying is you like to read Patriots fans comments but you hate to read Patriots fans comments and in any case you continue to read Patriots fans comments.

31. “They got in a fight for calling each other a cheater … but made up when they realized they were both right.”

—————————-

I have to say that while I usually find cheating comments annoying at best, I found this one pretty funny for some reason.

On a related thought, I am not sure why they don’t have a “block all comments from this user” link. That would go a long way to allowing us to drop some trolls. True that they may create new usernames, but the more work trolls have to go through, the better.

32. funny coming from a Yankees fan whose team has more bandwagoners then every other team combined.

#facts

———-

And? Look, I’ll admit that I agree with that fact. I’m a lifelong, diehard Yankees fan who’ll be the first to tell you that the Yankee fanbase sucks. I could tell you every player and what number they wore all the way back to the late 50’s, I could tell you every place the team finished for the last 30 years, my great grandfather saw the 1927 Yankees play in person. A lot of Yankee fans have deep seeded roots and could do the same. We may have a ton of Bandwagoners, but we have a ton of real fans as well.

Point is, I’m a legitimate fan. And I’d still be a diehard fan if the Yankees continuously lost for decades. How many patriots fans can say that? How many can name 5 Patriot players before the Brady era? How many have excuses as to why they became patriots fans when Brady took off? “(Oh, I didn’t even watch football. I picked the patriots when is was 23 and they just happened to be good.” PLEASE!)

Like it or not, the Patriots are the current NFL version of the Yankees. You’d think the real diehard patriot fans would see where I’m coming from and agree. But all the negative feedback I’m getting shows that I told a bit too much truth and struck a nerve with the vast majority of the patriots fanbase: Bandwagoners.

33. bullcharger says:
    Aug 1, 2017 1:56 PM

———-

1976? Congrats, you’re not a bandwagoner. And I respectfully disagree. I despise bandwagon fans. And obviously, that does not include young kids (at least it should be obvious). I find it nauseating that the vast majority of people I see wearing Yankees gear couldn’t tell me what year Roger Maris broke the single season homerun record. It’s disgusting that any random guy in a Yankee hat I approach to talk baseball won’t know jack s*** about the team aside from Aaron Judge. These people aren’t real fans and they certainly aren’t welcome. At least not to me. They never suffered for their team. They were never ridiculed for their team. They never needed a strong stomach to walk out the door wearing their teams gear. They never earned it. They don’t deserve the respect and acceptance they are trying to get by latching onto a winner.

I just hope my loyalty to the Knicks pays off in my lifetime.

34. “I am not sure why they don’t have a “block all comments from this user” link.”

Word press doesn’t offer that feature. And try bbs software wouldn’t work for presenting articles like this as well.

35. spartanlegend says:
    Aug 1, 2017 11:54 AM
    —————————————————-
    So don’t click on a Patriots post, pretty simple. I had season tickets during the Rod Rust and Dick McPherson years. Marino and Kelley regularly picked us apart as did most of the other NFL teams. The lean years were really lean and had the internet existed along with social media we would have been the Browns and Jets of today. It’s part of the cycle, the Pats just happens to be unusually long due to the owner, coach and quarterback. Fan bases that have millions of fans will have equally a spread of fan types whether obnoxious or insightful. I would assume your base would be the same. Change the channel if you don’t like it sport. Sad for you to feel the way you do yet take the time to seek it out. Weird stuff.

36. “Love how Pats fans love the fights in practice thinking it’s determination. But if this happened at a Broncos practice, they would say the team is dysfunctional.”

Dysfunction has nothing to do with the fact that the players fought in practice. All teams have a handful of fights every camp.

The indication of dysfunction is when the coaching staff allows those players right back on the field after an altercation.

37. bullcharger says:
    Aug 1, 2017 1:56 PM
    ———-
    I just hope my loyalty to the Knicks pays off in my lifetime.

—————-

To be a real sports fan you should have at least one bumbling franchise that you cheer for. I think that should be a rule. 😉

38. PATS’ HATERS : We have a long season ahead of us and you’re just warming up.

Your ignorance, your sheer stupidity even now (after many years of practice) has already reached spectacular.

You must be very proud.

So I must break out my usual signoff long before I thought it would be needed:

Let’s get together – we’ll bring the cheese and you bring the whine.

THEGREATESTCOMEBACKINSUPERBOWLHISTORY

Think about it. Over and over and over, while I show off my new ‘THE CATCH’ shirt to admiring neighbors and friends.

If you claim we cheated during the comeback – give us some particulars if you would.

39. Well, according to the Pats podcast guys who were there, Edelman started it. Gilmore was covering him on an endzone pass and Gilmore outpositioned Edelman and jumped up to make an interception and when they came down Edelman was hanging onto Gilmore’s neck/back and wouldn’t get off, and Gilmore threw him off to the ground and Edelman got up and started the fight. I think they said it was Hogan who broke it up. Seems like pretty normal T. Camp stuff that happens on just about every team.