Fitzgerald Toussaint is the Steelers’ No. 1 running back, for now

Getty Images

Fitzgerald Toussaint is the Steelers’ starting running back, at least at the moment.

The Steelers have unveiled their first depth chart of training camp, and it lists Toussaint as the No. 1 running back and Knile Davis as No. 2.

Obviously, the Steelers are hoping that won’t be the case when the regular season starts: They hope Le'Veon Bell, currently unsigned, has signed his franchise tag by the time the season opens in a month. And they also hope rookie third-round draft pick James Conner, who’s currently not listed on the depth chart because he’s not practicing, is healthy enough to go.

Terrell Watson, Trey Williams and Brandon Brown-Dukes are the other running backs in camp; those three all have uphill battles to make the 53-player roster.

If Bell and Conner are good to go, they’d likely be the 1-2 punch at running back, and Toussaint and Davis would be competing for the No. 3 running back job. The early depth chart suggests Toussaint has the lead.

32 responses to “Fitzgerald Toussaint is the Steelers’ No. 1 running back, for now

1. What difference does it make anyway destined for another playoff beating at the hands of new england no matter who is back there

2. I remember back when John Hannah and Leon Gray held out in NE. Their absence likely cost NE a playoff spot that year. C’mon Le’veon, get on the field. I want Pitt at full strength when they face NE in Dec.

3. August 8, 2017 at 11:04 am

The urgency for you to post this seems to reveal a lack of confidence in your assessment. This is much ado about nothing. Bell will report and your comment will be attributed to a loser trolling…time to move on.

4. I think it is highly unlikely that Toussaint makes the team. Bell will sign his tender and show up eventually. Tomlin raved about Conner in the first few days of camp, plus he has the human interest story, so he’s not going anywhere. Davis was brought in to bolster the return game and Nix is the only fullback on the roster. I doubt they will keep five running backs so “Fumbling Fitzy” sure looks like the odd man out.

5. droolbucket says:

says:
    August 8, 2017 at 11:44 am
    August 8, 2017 at 11:04 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Really? The last time the Squealers beat NE in a playoff game was in 1998.

Plus, as long as Tomlin is at the helm, you have very little chance

6. citizenstrange says:
    August 8, 2017 at 12:03 pm
    Tomlin’s Twitter handle is “Straight Fire.” Seriously.
    ———————————————————
    Actually, it’s “Duck-Billed Tomlin”

7. Really? The last time the Squealers beat NE in a playoff game was in 1998.

Plus, as long as Tomlin is at the helm, you have very little chance

Ok Infectedbrain, you need to join to express your concern about the Steelers or are you just being a smug Cheaties troll…….I think both.

8. nofoolnodrool says:
    August 8, 2017 at 1:18 pm
    Really? The last time the Squealers beat NE in a playoff game was in 1998.

Plus, as long as Tomlin is at the helm, you have very little chance

**********

None of the above
    NO need to join anything that you’ve dreamed up.

Just can’t resist pointing out how asinine and hollow your responses are.

We anticipate with great happiness playing the Stealers in the playoffs, because it’s about the closest thing to a lock going in this league.

Cleveland sucks.
    Goodell is a fraud
    NE will beat Pitt in the playoffs.

3 universal NFL truths

9. As far as your moronic cheaties comments I have 2 words for you;

Doctor. Rydze.

There is nothing more to say. You know and everyone who follows the NFL knows it.
    Your Lombardies are full of tarnish

10. infectorman says:
    August 8, 2017 at 1:30 pm
    As far as your moronic cheaties comments I have 2 words for you;

Doctor. Rydze.

Your Lombardies are full of tarnish

———-

Not to mention the team’s coach actually tripping an opposing player during a return!

11. Whenever a troll says everyone knows something it just means as usual they have no proof to back up their claim….standard sop for a Cheaties troll. Our Lombardi don’t have any lose of draft picks associated with them……but as you would say….everyone knows that.

The Dr Rydze story is old and a fraud ……try again, but have some proof Skippy.

12. infectorman says:
    August 8, 2017 at 1:30 pm
    As far as your moronic cheaties comments I have 2 words for you;

Doctor. Rydze.

Your Lombardies are full of tarnish

15 2 Rate This

Dr.Rydze left the team in 2007. Our record since then is 93-50. We’ve won a super bowl and appeared in another. but thanks for your concern.

13. Drool likes to keep focussing on the Lombardis that the Steelers won in the 70s….over 40 years ago. They were great accomplishments…..and I congratulate them. But the fact remains that the Steelers cannot beat BB and the Patriots today when it counts….. Drool doesn’t want to talk about that.

14. citizenstrange says:
    August 8, 2017 at 12:03 pm
    Tomlin’s Twitter handle is “Straight Fire.” Seriously.

8 9 Rate This

——

no way a grown man and an nfl football coach has a twitter handle
    like that

has to be fake

15. Drool likes to keep focussing on the Lombardis that the Steelers won in the 70s….over 40 years ago. They were great accomplishments…..and I congratulate them. But the fact remains that the Steelers cannot beat BB and the Patriots today when it counts….. Drool doesn’t want to talk about that.

2 0 Rate This

Once again another Cheaties troll lying…..as usual. When have I focused on the 70’s or the last two the Steelers have won? It seems to me as a new to football fan you can only relate to the recent past….say five years that you have been allowed to watch without mom’s permission. You fail to give me credit for saying the best team has won when the Steelers have played the Cheaters, but why point out the truth when a lie more aptly fits your narrative? NHFats you need to expand your football knowledge beyond the won/lost records to acquire any credibility. Otherwise you are doomed to your current status as as a Pom Pom waving troll.

16. Nofoolnodrool says:
    August 8, 2017 at 2:56 pm

2 0 Rate This

————–

To be fair I may indeed have you confused with some other Steelers fan(s). And that is assuming that you have only a single account under which you post….but I believe you do.

Sorry Drool, I have lived on my own for almost 40 years now and have been following the Pats (and the Steelers) since the 1970s. We lived through many lean years and I can only hope that we continue to dominate the Steelers for a few more. But regardless of personnel, I will take BB over Mike Tomlin every game. The two coaches could swap players and I would still take BB. He is just that much better than Tomlin.

17. e. The two coaches could swap players and I would still take BB. He is just that much better than Tomlin

I think you are very wrong. Brady makes Belicheat look much better than he actually is. Once Tammy leaves Belicheat won’t have anyone to carry the team like Tammy did against the choking Falcons. We will see how Tomlin does without Ben ….. should be interesting. But your posts hardly reflect 40 years away from momma…..well I guess the Pom poms are a wee tad smaller.

18. I do so enjoy when nofool is so enraged at anything Patriots that he takes time away from pulling the wings off houseflies and burning ants with a magnifying glass. It’s good for him to actually engage with humans. The houseflies and ants appreciate the down time so keep those Patriots comments coming big guy. Be careful, don’t burn yourself.

19. Whenever I imagine nofool, veins popping in his forehead, the words of Glenda the good witch come to mind. “You have no power here. Be gone before someone drops a house on you too.”

20. I do so enjoy when nofool is so enraged at anything Patriots that he takes time away from pulling the wings off houseflies and burning ants with a magnifying glass. It’s good for him to actually engage with humans. The houseflies and ants appreciate the down time so keep those Patriots comments coming big guy. Be careful, don’t burn yourself.

Ah dumbdan, stealing my lines about the flies and ants just made my day, but you need to develop you own material. Enraged, the last time that happened was in Vietnam Nam 50 years ago so don’t flatter yourself Skippy.

21. bigbenisabigbaby says:

August 8, 2017 at 1:14 pm

citizenstrange says:
    August 8, 2017 at 12:03 pm
    Tomlin’s Twitter handle is “Straight Fire.” Seriously.
    ———————————————————
    Actually, it’s “Duck-Billed Tomlin”
    ———————————

I thought it was “I be trippin’ Bro”

22. nhpats says:
    August 8, 2017 at 2:13 pm

———————

He didn’t trip anyone. He just had his dumb ass out on the field and that impeded Jacoby Jones’ progress.

The cheating Jets are the team that actually had a coach trip a guy.

23. Can we stop with the lame “bandwagon fans”
    I was 12 when they won there first SB in 01. There is an entire generation of people in there late 20’s or 30’s this is all they know.

4 1 Rate This

—-

well, they both showed intent, cheated and received almost no
    punishment upholding roger’s obsession and over-use of the word
    “integrity”.